Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikelesh Reddy

Terrific news.He’s been called the “Godfather of German football”…Klopp looks up to Ragnick and if I”m not mistaken,Tuchel got his break in management because of ragnick.All in all,it’s terrific news for the club….

Laurencio

Seriously, could a position be any more vague than "consultant"?
I think it's on purpose. We pay him, he gets to brag about being a part of the United rebuild and reshaping the club, and Murthough gets to learn from one of the better DoFs around. It's a good deal in that sense.

RuudTom83

The 2 year consultancy part might have been his doing more than United looking to the future. It seem a little to organised for United to come up with it themselves to be honest hehe.

I'd guess United contacted him for an interim role, he said no, they said please, he said go on then as long as I can move upstairs for 2 years afterwards!? deal done

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
His role after the interim period is the most exciting thing from this. Not to say that he can't implement anything in the next six months on the pitch which should help the transition to the next manager, but it's nice to have a real footballing mind behind the scenes for a change.

Sviken

In what way? Tactically I'd say they're very similar, especially in terms of their pressing. Much more so than Ten Haag, who prefers a more possession-based approach
Ten Hag side presses like madmen, too. Gegenpressing is also a possession type of football. Liverpool have one of the highest possesssion stats in the league, I believe second only to City. So let's not pretend it's basically long balls once you retrieve the ball. In fact, Guardiola's football is much more direct these days than it was during his Barcelona and even Bayern times when it was mostly just side passing until the oppossition opened space. Now it appears his teams are actively trying to get to the ball in the opponent's box as fast as possible and they achieve that by their relentless pressing once they lose the ball. Ten Hag plays the exact same type of football.

Ragnick now and Ten Hag in the summer would be simply the perfect scenario.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Also, he might not have coached recently but he definitely sounds like he watches us closely, so he probably already has ideas about what he wants to do and with what players.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ragnick isnt someone who screams results on the pitch, his training career is relatively moderately succesful. This isn't a "Tuchel-esque" appointment.

I'm more intrigued by the 2 year consultant contract that follows, he's someone who can bring about real change in the organization.

He comes form a sports director role at Spartak Moscow. More than anything he'll have an impact on the coaching staff, less the players. Fingers crossed this works out.

RoyKeaneInTurin

Look, I'm aboard the RR-train, but why is he suddenly seen as the second coming? Why didn't people here worship him before the appointment?
Because

1. He isn't a manager. He prefers building a club on the technical side of things.

2. We were talking about options the club has which can be longer than an interim role and someone who is an actual manager which Ralf hasn't been for years.

3. Caf is ecstatic because if he stays beyond his 6 month role(if the interim role goes well), we will have a clear game plan. Not just vibes FC.

4. We are getting a man who isn't looking to get results from day 1. For him our style will be as important as results. He doesn't want the pressure of saving this season but saving the club in the long run.

5. Keeps doors open for Ten Hag, Poch or Zidane to take over in the summer.

6. Hipster's choice.

Reactions: Penna

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Seriously, could a position be any more vague than "consultant"?
Zidane used to have that role at Madrid, his actual job was to work with the general manager and the DOF.

Sviken

Ragnick isnt someone who screams results on the pitch, his training career is relatively moderately succesful. This isn't a "Tuchel-esque" appointment.
That would be daft to expect for an interim role. All we need right now is a competent coach who can salvage us the season and lay the groundworks for the next manager.

JB7

It’s the complete opposite of what he says.
What? Why?

He's saying he doesn't want his keeper heavily involved. That's perfect for De Gea who would be shipped off immediately by a Pep type.
well done for not reading it.
Talk me through how any manager coming in and wanting to press high up the pitch is going to be happy with De Gea in goal. I totally understand & appreciate he doesn't want the goalkeeper to be spending a lot of time with the ball at his feet but equally the goalkeeper needs to be comfortable sitting high up the pitch in a pressing team, which we have seen DDG is not. So you will end up with a high press and a massive 40 yard gap to the goalkeeper which will cause massive issues. The defenders cannot ever be a part of the press if the goalkeeper doesn't move beyond his penalty spot because it is so easy to play around them and into space. You also need an offensive goalkeeper for balls into the box as part of a high pressing team because you're likely to have less players in the box and therefore need a dominant goalkeeper, rather than a goal line goalkeeper. Do any of you think a Klopp team or a Nagelsmann team plays a goalkeeper like DDG?

There is a massive difference between having a goalkeeper heavily involved in the play to having a goalkeeper that compliments the high pressing of his teammates and backs up his defenders when are part of the press.

So yeah, long story short, I read exactly what he said and stand by my original post - DDG is fecked.

Idxomer

He has a winning record against Klopp but only won once against Tuchel.

Mickson

To anyone who really knows this guy and his philosophy. Which players do you think he will like and dislike?

Flexdegea

Fantastic news. Now Get rid of the British-connection "mates" structure of the club - Fletcher, Arnold, Murtough, Woodward, Carrick, McKenna, the lot! It's clear as day Fergie's influence has hindered us, he needs he power taken away too! ...Out with the whole 'DNA' history shite and lets rebuild a modern diverse structure which in turn will equal positive results elsewhere.

Hold on you want Fletcher and Murtough out, who have more likely pushed this move, trying to modernise the club,

TeddyBear

'Ole's CL goal was overrated'
Why is there no word from the ex-boys so far ?

Are they stunned that a godfather with non United DNA coming in and ripping them apart ?

Can't wait to hear more from the ex-boys.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
If it’s true that he was promised an influential role in the future is rather encouraging. I like a look of this appointment, if it happens.

Xaviboy

Is he bringing in own coaching staff or will he keep Carrick and mckenna?? Be nice if he bought staff in that knows his work on the training ground and coaching.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This consultant thing i don't understand tbh. Will our dof and future manager listen to him?
I would rather that he took Dof job instead being our Tom Hagen.

And why he gave up from being a manager?

Laurencio

I'm more intrigued by the 2 year consultant contract that follows, he's someone who can bring about real change in the organization.

He comes form a sports director role at Spartak Moscow. More than anything he'll have an impact on the coaching staff, less the players. Fingers crossed this works out.
Spot on. I struggle to be encouraged by the managerial aspect, but it certainly isn't bad for Murtough to have a direct line to him on a consultancy basis. There are elements of his work at RB that is second to none, those are things I think we will benefit most from moving forward.

It is also very encouraging for the future that this is clearly a Murtough appointment.

I'm hoping he will prove me wrong and really bring some fun back at Old Trafford, and will support his tenure the best I can. Nothing is better than a manager exceeding expectations. Welcome aboard Ralf!

red4ever 79

To anyone who really knows this guy and his philosophy. Which players do you think he will like and dislike?

His philosophy is high energy, pressing up high and direct forward passes. With that being said
Donny
Fred
Varane
Sancho
Cavani

Dislike
Pogba
Martial
Mctom
Rashford

Thats just my opinion

BigRon1985

What the hell is going on? An intelligent football decision for once - fair play to the club but it's about time......

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Amount of time away from management is a concern but there's no such thing as an ideal interim manager. Seems a good option all things considered.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
His record vs Klopp...

13 meetings:
6 wins, 5 draws, 2 losses

I'm happy :)
Forget the record. I'm just happy we will go into these big games with balls and willing to trade blows with the top teams. There will be growing pains but cant put a price on aggressive attacking football.

studs

It's a start i didn't think would happen, but it's only a start and I won't get too excited about it, on till the river's run free.

Scholsey2004

Spot on. I struggle to be encouraged by the managerial aspect, but it certainly isn't bad for Murthough to have a direct line to him on a consultancy basis. There are elements of his work at RB that is second to none, those are things I think we will benefit most from moving forward.

It is also very encouraging for the future that this is clearly a Murthough appointment.

I'm hoping he will prove me wrong and really bring some fun back at Old Trafford, and will support his tenure the bets I can. Nothing is better than a manager exceeding expectations. Welcome aboard Ralf!
Yeah, with the amount of money this club tosses around we can afford to have some of the leading minds in the game on retainer and educating the coaching staff. This seems a very progressive move from Murtough.

Status
Not open for further replies.