Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuudTom83

I guess the club did just want an interim manager after all. The extra 2 years consultancy was just to get the deal signed and get Ralf into the club asap.

Shame.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Ralf’s decision to take the Austrian job caught us by surprise. His consultancy role would have been significantly reduced. He did this to himself.

city-puma

Wow. 10 pages already on this.
We are obviously really bored already because lets be honest what input was he going to give going forward.
He has handed in his dossier and ETH can read it or wipe his arse with it. Either way Rangnick has no further use unless he was taking on the DOF role and we have known for ages that wasnt happening.
Non story
It’s not a surprise considering in the thread “who is worse, ole or Ralf”, there are 43% voting Ole as worse. The distorted reality from Ralf fans got hit by this news.

Laurencio

Well if thats true I dont trust him at all. There is 1 person that is a) a football man and b) not attached to the club and its failures over 10 years (ok part of the last 6 months) but not 10 years and c) intimately knowledgeable of the team and the dressing room and with vast knowledge of building clubs and thats Rangnick. Whats the harm of listening to his advice? He doesnt have to take it. But at least he would offer something different at a meeting. Now whats going to happen? Lets listen to Fletcher and Murtough? In Fletcher we trust
If this is Ten Hag's decisions, it is somewhat logical.

The way Rangnick speaks to the media, constantly promoting himself, writing off every single player at the club and basically making it out as if he's making huge decisions (when he cleary isn't and hasn't been), I do not blame Ten Hag for feeling like getting too close to Rangnick would likely undermine him as manager in the eyes of the press and the players who clearly do not respect Rangnick.

This way any decision he makes on playing staff will be his and his alone, and not be percieved as acting on Ralf's opinions.

caid

What is it Rangnick was going to do exactly?

ETH says I want a defensive midfielder, recruitment staff identify best prospects, ETH decides which player fits best with the Fletcher's/Murtough's approval and then the club buys that player.

Where does Ralf fit into that process, is he some brilliant player evaluator?

If he was why hadn't a more prestigious club signed him up in that role already?

Reality is Rangnick offers nothing as a consultant and it was only attached as a way to get him to sign up as interim.
Because that part doesn't happen. The board tend to be dumb cnuts and say 'kante is a defensive midfielder, lets buy him! He has 5 million instagram followers, he must be great.'
Any and every person they hire, particularly someone from outside the manchester united bubble, with some decent understanding of football is a positive. It suggests the board is delegating football decisions to someone who has some vague chance of having a clue.
Ten Hag will make all relevant football decisions and will mostly be listened to with the odd undroppable Ronaldo dropped in his lap to deal with. In 18 months when people are getting frustrated because half the first team are completely unsuited to playing ten hags system they'll get an itchy trigger finger and start looking at other coaches and hire someone completely and utterly different and we'll be back to square one with building a first team to compete. The infrastructure will continue falling apart as they penny pinch over a bottle or juice and photocopying costs.
We've been here before. Chaotic decision making process where the clubs direction changes every 6 months.

UncleBob

His role was a PR move from the start. The club had zero intention of following his advice. Transparent and pathetic.

Now watch the club force commercial signings on ETH and demand that he play Rashford and Maguire no matter what.
Christ

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If he was gone after 6 months then maybe i would understand that there is some other issue.

Its most likely players doing.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The board and the Glazers yes. And even Fred alluded to it in an interview. They just wanted the season to be over and push the reset button. They didn't even want to sack Solskjaer initially (to avoid paying the high compensation when Top 4 was still mathematically possible) but the results kept getting worse under him that they were forced to sack him. They didn't try to reinforce the team in January with loan options or inexpensive buys that would improve us. They took dividends out of the club instead. If they were serious about Top 4 they wouldn't have hired Rangnick in the first place because the other considered candidates were better as coaches.
Just nonsense. Not getting top 4 is a huge setback financially with no benefits whatsoever to the club long term. We're as likely to fall further behind the likes of Spurs as catch them next season now. We were still odds on favourites when Ralf took over (although personally I didn't think we would make it).

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Well that daft. We put up with his poor management because we thought we'd get some real value as a consultant with the new manager, he thrives in that sort of role.

I reckon they just didnt want to spend the cash he was suggesting.
It has to be ETH and one of the conditions when he signed. Has to be. Otherwise it’s the same old shitshow raining down from above

GazTheLegend

What did people think Rangnick was going to do during the season for us while Austrian manager by the way? What exactly was his job going to be and how would it have benefited us or Ten Hag?

Rangnick was a hatchet man and he did a great job:. He came in to take the blame for sacking all the shit coaches and scouts and selling all the shit players. He's done that now. Same way most American business are run - then you bring in your new ACTUAL manager, they play nice and get whoever is left that is actually competent to sort out the shitshow. That's Ten Hags job now.

UpWithRivers

If this is Ten Hag's decisions, it is somewhat logical.

The way Rangnick speaks to the media, constantly promoting himself, writing off every single player at the club and basically making it out as if he's making huge decisions (when he cleary isn't and hasn't been), I do not blame Ten Hag for feeling like getting too close to Rangnick would likely undermine him as manager in the eyes of the press and the players who clearly do not respect Rangnick.

This way any decision he makes on playing staff will be his and his alone, and not be percieved as acting on Ralf's opinions.
Sooooo basically player power. Good lets let the players run things. They have done a good job for ten years. best not upset them.

DavelinaJolie

I mean they could operate on a sunk cost fallacy that they'd invested that time in him already, but if they think it's better to move ahead fair enough.

Ralph1386

Just nonsense. Not getting top 4 is a huge setback financially with no benefits whatsoever to the club long term. We're as likely to fall further behind the likes of Spurs as catch them next season now. We were still odds on favourites when Ralf took over (although personally I didn't think we would make it).
Don't worry, we've already had seasons outside of the Top 4 under the Glazers and they've financially survived just fine. They don't see things the way fans like us do.

chris123

I get the sense this probably came from ETH rather than the board just getting cold feet. ETH was clearly baffled by the role when he talked about RR's consultancy position in one of those early interviews.

Jibbs

We were 7th when he left and were getting battered on a weekly basis. He was a bad manager who should have never got the job in the first place and definitely deserved to go when he did, unfortunately we replaced him with an equally shit manager on an interim basis. The madness is that we appointed a director of football/consultant as a manager and have let him go just before he actually became a consultant.
If United board want competent people to run the club and have complete authority instead of their yesmen they would have appointed Ragnick or somebody like him a long time ago not a nepotistic appointment like Fletcher.
If Ralf was made DoF along with Paul Mitchell incharge of transfers and they brought in Poch or Negelsman or even Rose, we would have all realized that the club is heading into a particular direction.
Currently United has done what they have typically been doing for last ten years. What they did with LVG and Moutinho. Appointed them with a lot of promises and fired them when they pointed out glaring issues with the club and wanted to weed out the problems.

ETH is a very competent manager but I don’t think the United board and the likes of Judge and Fletcher would let him work because these yesmen are the insiders of people who do not want to relinquish their authority from the club.
We can already see early signs of that when there is news that he will only be allowed to make 3,4 signings and not do surgical changes that are extremely necessary to weed out the rot at this club.

Robbie Boy

It’s not a surprise considering in the thread “who is worse, ole or Ralf”, there are 43% voting Ole as worse. The distorted reality from Ralf fans got hit by this news.
The fact you think 'Ralf fans' voted Ole is cute. There's actually feck all 'Ralf fans' in all honesty, it's just a ridiculous narrative that you, and others, have created. I'm not a fan of either but I can acknowledge that Ole was fecking hideous.

city-puma

And it was a gamble. Some work out, some don't. I'm glad we cut ties quickly , IMO it should have been right after the Austria announcement.
I want him sacked after the Arsenal game, even though I have realized he is not capable to manage the team since Feb. I agree the appointment of interim manager is tricky and you never know what it turns out to be. That’s why I strongly disagree to sack Ole. Ole should be given the chance to turn things around and leave at the end of the season.
The moment I heard he said “I don’t know what Phelan’s role is”, “I don’t know what Fletcher does”, I was thinking we hired a clown really.

Laurencio

Sooooo basically player power. Good lets let the players ru things. They have done a good job for ten years. best not upset them.
No...

If Ten Hag made the decision because he wants the freedom to deal with the squad without the weight of Rangnick's failed interimship then that would be about manager power, not player power.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
At least the club seem to be learning now not to reward failure.
Just like ETH saying he was at Ajax for a very long time stood out for me.
The conventional thinking of long term at United made no sense and it’s damaging. If a gamble or appointment doesn’t work, cut loose and move on.
Let’s hope this will also apply to the players, especially the ones that think their high wages will keep them protected.

Tango80

What did people think Rangnick was going to do during the season for us while Austrian manager by the way? What exactly was his job going to be and how would it have benefited us or Ten Hag?
I think a lot of people overestimate what a consultant is. The way it was being talked about almost sounded like they saw him as a DoF. He was never going to be that influencial.

In reality, he was going to work several days a month and provide an opinion on things. Thats about it.

city-puma

The fact you think 'Ralf fans' voted Ole is cute. There's actually feck all 'Ralf fans' in all honesty, it's just a ridiculous narrative that you, and others, have created. I'm not a fan of either but I can acknowledge that Ole was fecking hideous.
You have logical issue and incorrectly draw your conclusion. You probably can’t realize it.

Nicolarra90

RR: Kick everyone out! You need 10 new players!.

ETH: K, no, thanks, bye.

That was all his consultancy.

Lee565

This bloody club. So we may as well as stuck with carrick then because we have written a season off for absolutely nothing, ragnick is by far the worst appointment we has made, he is the only winner out of all of this as it has gotten him the Austrian job.

Maticmaker

"There is nothing I can do to help you" ...talk about "shake the dust from your feet as you leave"... he must have uncovered some real problems.
Or, maybe ETH has told him..."I'm the new sheriff and this place isn't big enough for both of us, so get out of town by sunset" :lol:

.......oh yes and by the way, you can leave the dossier!!!

Robbie Boy

You have logical issue and incorrectly draw your conclusion. You probably can’t realize it.
What?

It's clear from your posts in here that you're a butthurt Ole fanboy. Obviously you were never going to take to Ralf. Fact is, both were total and utter shite, whether you like it or not. Ole was a shambles of an appointment, and left an utter mess in his wake.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

The last part of this tweet is what's key for me.

Genuinely couldn't give less of a shit about Rangnick himself. But at least when he had a consultancy role I knew there was an outside voice who clearly saw the problems at the club.

He openly knew the squad wasn't good enough, realised we hadn't been recruiting with purpose, realised Cavani-style signings were short-sighted, realised the injury pile-ups were a problem that needed to be fixed, etc. All correct, all issues that needed to be addressed. And if the club had him on board, it was a sign that they knew he had a point.

The worry is if him going is a sign that the club doesn't fully accept his view of the scale of the issues and that the culture of complacency will continue.

Ultimately the question now is whether John Murtough has the same view on the problems and changes required or not.

vanderpants

I'm confused and not sure what to make of this! I bet this means we wont sign any of Ralphs recommended signings

Jezpeza

I dont think its that much of a bad thing.
I dont think a lot of the players liked him and also he is tainted with last season. ETH wants to be his own man.
The takeaway is, Woodward, judge, Lawlor and co are gone. We will have new scouts, we have a dof new chief negotiator or whatever Judge was. Whether Ragnick was part of that or coincidental it doesnt matter now.

CloneMC16

Completely pointless to bring him here if he wasn't going to stay to do the job he's actually good at. After ETH didn't seem that interested in him staying, I'm not shocked by this. We should have brought in a better interim if there was any chance this would happen.

Manny

Grammar Police
Pathetic. The club didn't like him rocking the boat but he's been right about everything.

Regardless of what you think about his management, we needed him to keep calling out the club.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I dont understand this hard on for Ralf.

Ralf Rangnick was not man utds saviour, let's just move on?
His football knowledge is attractive for a club that seems to be focussed more on the financials.

So I get the hard on but I think what people miss is he just wasn't that good for us. Didn't work out here and he was a misfit.

united for life

This is another step in the direction of making things make sense. Consultancy role was a weird role anyway. Why would there be a consultant? Aren’t the various club positions, including the team manager, enough? Also, for me, rangnick’s tenure was a bad one. I know it’s not his players, the players are shite with egos. I know all of this, but he didn’t show any sign of improving anything. The fact that he chose to go with 4222 when he first joined was an indicator that he won’t succeed. You have to work with the tools you have, he chose to go his way which was a start of a terrible tenure.

i am sure ETH had a say in this. Probably felt that a consultant, regardless who he was, would undermine is authority in taking decisions.

can’t blame ralf for all the mess, but he surely has to take part of it. It’s probably better to live without a consultant anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.