Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph1386

The last part of this tweet is what's key for me.

Genuinely couldn't give less of a shit about Rangnick himself. But at least when he had a consultancy role I knew there was an outside voice who clearly saw the problems at the club.

He openly knew the squad wasn't good enough, realised we hadn't been recruiting with purpose, realised Cavani-style signings were short-sighted, realised the injury pile-ups were a problem that needed to be fixed, etc. All correct, all issues that needed to be addressed. And if the club had him on board, it was a sign that they knew he had a point.

The worry is if him going is a sign that the club doesn't fully accept his view of the scale of the issues and that the culture of complacency will continue.

Ultimately the question now is whether John Murtough has the same view on the problems and changes required or not.
Well said.

LoneStar

I'm not surprised, but this has been a shitshow all around. Poor decision making from the club if they were serious about the consultancy role. And the worst performance by a manager that I've seen. Ralf was atrocious.

Ralf could end up being right about the players. Or he could look like an absolute mug if some players he criticised play great under ETH. Next season will be interesting for sure. We'll know the answer to this at least.

city-puma

Out of curiosity, how many other "big mistakes" do you think the club has done in the last 10 years?
The biggest mistake is that we are too slow to change our structure to DOF/first team coach mode. Glazers’ want to find another Fergie because it will save them all for long term so that they can just enjoy their fixed income stream through dividends every year without worrying anything else.
now, we are moving to it.

Devil may care

Not a huge surprise after the first Ten Hag presser but he had Overmars and Van der Sar helping him at Ajax, who's going to help him here? Murtaugh and Fletcher? I hope not, hopefully we plan to hire a proper DOF now.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Not a huge surprise after the first Ten Hag presser but he had Overmars and Van der Sar helping him at Ajax, who's going to help him here? Murtaugh and Fletcher? I hope not, hopefully we plan to hire a proper DOF now.
What did ten hag say?

mu4c_20le

Ultimately the question now is whether John Murtough has the same view on the problems and changes required or not.
Well it sounds like ETH has a clear idea of what he wants and what needs to happen, so it's a question of how much he will listen to and support him.

RORY65

Murtough in effect is the director of football, he's not appointing someone to take his job. Now, is he any good? I have severe reservations, which the Rangnick appointment in the first place certainly doesn't ease, but I do like the Ten Hag appointment and this is the first post-Woodward summer window so we will see whether we start moving in the right direction (we have to be realistic, it is going to take a very long time to even compete again given how far behind we are and the outstanding quality and consistency of the top 2).

Ole'sgunnarwin

While it was a waste of time, he was so utterly useless in charge that I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Felt like he was a bluffer and few too many fans loved him because of press conferences which some focus on as much of the actual matches these days.

UpWithRivers

No...

If Ten Hag made the decision because he wants the freedom to deal with the squad without the weight of Rangnick's failed interimship then that would be about manager power, not player power.
It was the weight of everyones failed season. If you want to forget it and sack anyone that has anything to do with last season then everyone has to go including the players and the board and Murtough. If you sack 1 person and make them a scapegoat to make the players feel better thats player power because its them who are driving it otherwise you wouldnt need to make them feel better

crossy1686

career ending
I get that. But after those few easy games. He basically lost so many point's in his half of the season. Couldn't have done worse though. Then sack him after the season.
Well from the fallout that Rangnick has not dealt with the season but spoken about, it seems that Ole made a bunch of promises and avoided difficult conversations which ended with the squad losing any trust in him and downing tools. There was no coming back for Ole, he played himself into a corner where nobody trusted him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If in five or six years we're still in the same mess on and off the pitch, we could look back on this as the moment we had someone in the club who saw the problems for what they were and had a clear grasp of what needed to be fixed but didn't follow through on it.

And because Rangnick was so public with his description of our problems, everyone will see it as a turning point missed. True or not, it will be seen as a chance to reset what was happening at club that was passed up. I can imagine the long-form articles from here....

Christ I hope we know what we're doing.

House Mkhitaryan

He's was brought in to right a sinking ship, secure top 4 and get the team playing in a modern style for the next manager. He accomplished none of this, though sort of righted the ship for a while.

I was really enthusiastic about bringing Rangnick in and his "gegenpressing" system but ultimately it was an absolute disaster. He did get a bit unlucky with injuries and the Greenwood ordeal, but he showed next to nothing as a manager. I don't see any need to keep him around for this consultancy.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What did ten hag say?
It was raised to him in his first presser whether he’d approach Rangnick for his advice etc. and Ten Hag’s response was pretty dismissive, saying he’d make his own opinion. It also doesn’t sound like they ever actually physically met in person.

Robertd0803

Well considering the terms of his actual consultancy were yet to be defined (according to Rangnick himself)him bizarrely taking the Austria job it was never going to be anything other than a side gig anyway,and the fact his run here was a disaster I dont think we are missing out on anything here mainly because we have no idea how the consulting role would have gone.

The optics of it do look dreadful but we got ETH in the end which Im sure was the desired outcome for most of us anyway.

Long Time Red

Murtough in effect is the director of football, he's not appointing someone to take his job. Now, is he any good? I have severe reservations, which the Rangnick appointment in the first place certainly doesn't ease, but I do like the Ten Hag appointment and this is the first post-Woodward summer window so we will see whether we start moving in the right direction (we have to be realistic, it is going to take a very long time to even compete again given how far behind we are and the outstanding quality and consistency of the top 2).
I honestly think they picked Rangnick because he was the worst of the interim candidates and wouldn't do too well.

I think they still expected we'd be able to get comfortably top 4 with Rangnick but he wouldn't do too well that there would be clamour for him to get the job full time making it easier to hire Ten Hag.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It was raised to him in his first presser whether he’d approach Rangnick for his advice etc. and Ten Hag’s response was pretty dismissive, saying he’d make his own opinion. It also doesn’t sound like they ever actually physically met in person.
Oh right. Sounds like the writing was on the wall for rangnick.

city-puma

What?

It's clear from your posts in here that you're a butthurt Ole fanboy. Obviously you were never going to take to Ralf. Fact is, both were total and utter shite, whether you like it or not. Ole was a shambles of an appointment, and left an utter mess in his wake.
Your thinking, logic, and rational are all binary, ie, either black or white. I never said 43% voting Ole are all Ralf cult followers. The same apply to the other 57% voting Ralf that many of them are not ole cult followers. For me, ole is one of the most respectable figures. He probably has his ceiling as manager but saying his work in managing us a complete waste of money and time are ridiculous and stupid. I am not so-called ole cult followers, and I believe there is no such a thing actually.

Maticmaker

This whole episode could be almost a text book example of 'consultancy poisoning'.

Bring in a consultant and let them loose in the company, let them dig out all the trouble makers, sniff out all the bad smells, above all let them loose to tell people what they don't want to hear... then get them out quickly... and the sh** storm that follows blame on them!

Classic case this!
Don't half help clear the decks!

DevilRed

Man got the recognition he wanted.

He got himself a full time managerial job, which NOBODY (of note) was going to give him, prior to taking the Manchester United role.

Lets not forget he was doing work in Russia of all fecking places, before we came in and gave him the break of his career.

Ralf will be fine.

Its best for both parties to move on, considering how badly he failed here. Cut ties and draw a line under this disasterous period.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well it sounds like ETH has a clear idea of what he wants and what needs to happen, so it's a question of how much he will listen to and support him.
That's sort of the point though. We shouldn't just be following ETH's vision of what needs to happen. The club (i.e. Murtough) should have their own clear and high-level vision of what our football and recruitment structures should look like, with the manager fitting into a role within that. If we still end up leaning on the manager to provide the vision for the club then nothing has changed.

Taking Liverpool as an example, they had their own ideas of the correct way to organise the football side of the club to a high level before Klopp ever set foot in the club. They didn't look for him to provide that vision.

Laurencio

It was the weight of everyones failed season. If you want to forget it and sack anyone that has anything to do with last season then everyone has to go including the players and the board and Murtough. If you sack 1 person and make them a scapegoat to make the players feel better thats player power because its them who are driving it otherwise you wouldnt need to make them feel better
Well the point is that it is not about making the players feel better - many of them could be gone regardless of this decision - it is to show that the man in charge is Ten Hag and not Rangnick.

It's not like Ten Hag hasn't seen us play this season or hasn't researched the players at the club. The season won't be forgotten just because Rangnick isn't around.

RORY65

I honestly think they picked Rangnick because he was the worst of the interim candidates and wouldn't do too well.

I think they still expected we'd be able to get comfortably top 4 with Rangnick but he wouldn't do too well that there would be clamour for him to get the job full time making it easier to hire Ten Hag.
I think it would be doing them a very favourable service to imply that was the plan. I think it was the first big decision that they made and were seduced by the idea of going for the "Father of gegen-pressing" over the options who were better managers and certainly better interim choices but more pragmatic and therefore harder to present as being part of a philosophy and an ongoing plan for the club even after their interim spell. The fact that Rangnick was going to stay on as a consultant played even more into the idea of it being part of a longer term strategy but the reality is that was utter bollocks.

Robbie Boy

Your thinking, logic, and rational are all binary, ie, either black or white. I never said 43% voting Ole are all Ralf cult followers. The same apply to the other 57% voting Ralf that many of them are not ole cult followers. For me, ole is one of the most respectable figures. He probably has his ceiling as manager but saying his work in managing us a complete waste of money and time are ridiculous and stupid. I am not so-called ole cult followers, and I believe there is no such a thing actually.
Right, well you seem to consistently imply that there's a correlation between these mythical 'Ralf fans' and not rating Ole. Fact is, most don't rate both. Ole has a weird little cult following on here and they can't seem to let it go. Ralf was shite, but Ole was very much shite, too. That is as black and white as you're going to get. The only argument is 'who was worse' which seems rather pointless and redundant.

Kopral Jono

Ten Hag just didn't fancy him. If he had fancied him it would have been an in-person handover meeting instead of a Zoom one.

city-puma

Believe me that many share your concerns. The Ralf appointment is such a disaster so that many feel uncomfortable if he is the right person as DOF. Chelsea passed on him and Chelsea of course is more experienced to appoint interim manager ;)and they normally did things right.
I hope Mouthough can form a great partnership and streamline our football operations throughout.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
That's sort of the point though. We shouldn't just be following ETH's vision of what needs to happen. The club (i.e. Murtough) should have their own clear and high-level vision of what our football and recruitment structures should look like, with the manager fitting into a role within that. If we still end up leaning on the manager to provide the vision for the club then nothing has changed.

Taking Liverpool as an example, they had their own ideas of the correct way to organise the football side of the club to a high level before Klopp ever set foot in the club. They didn't look for him to provide that vision.
Exactly. Going from manager to manager, each one with full control and a different vision of what the club should look like, is a huge part of why we're in this mess in the first place.

padzilla

Hipster
This does not surprise me - nor does being linked to a 31-year-old injury prone Kante.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Perhaps the club is about to appoint a new experienced DoF and felt the consultancy role would be redundant in that case. Otherwise, we're stuck with Fletcher and Murtough to lead the transfer department, which doesn't inspire much confidence.

Or maybe they plan to give ETH control over everything, transfers included. I got the impression from his comments when he was interviewing for the job that full control is something ETH wanted from the outset.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Well that daft. We put up with his poor management because we thought we'd get some real value as a consultant with the new manager, he thrives in that sort of role.

I reckon they just didnt want to spend the cash he was suggesting.
It was all about job security for RR. He had a contract over in Russia until 2024 and he didn’t want to give that up for a six month stint with us. The two year consultancy aspect was factored into the negotiations as we had no intention of keeping him on as manager until 2024.

United never wanted him as a consultant. That much is obvious.

Last edited:

city-puma

Right, well you seem to consistently imply that there's a correlation between these mythical 'Ralf fans' and not rating Ole. Fact is, most don't rate both. Ole has a weird little cult following on here and they can't seem to let it go. Ralf was shite, but Ole was very much shite, too. That is as black and white as you're going to get. The only argument is 'who was worse' which seems rather pointless and redundant.
I think Ralf cult truly existing based on some keep saying the delusion and imagination as if they are facts.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
How long before Rashford PR drops another article about a manager who is not here?

This is basically showing that player power is still present at United.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sooooo basically player power. Good lets let the players run things. They have done a good job for ten years. best not upset them.
What players specifically? And how much weight would you expect their opinion to hold? ....... And on what basis would it be that influential?

Status
Not open for further replies.