Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos

The disdain for Rangnick here is bizarre to say the least. Was he cut out for the job? Probably not. But he was tossed into an impossible task, managing a squad consisting of toxic weapons like Ronaldo, Pogba, Lingard and Henderson, and essentially given 6 months to fix a mess created by his amateur predecessor. He also wasn't given a transfer window to bolster the squad.

He wasn't wrong in his assessments too. We all laughed at him when he said we needed up to 10 new signings, turns out he wasn't wrong. We signed 4 good starters in the summer and still look like we'll need a similar amount to compete. So he wasn't far off.

InfiniteBoredom

To win the league you only need to get one more point than the team in second.

The relative quality of all the teams is bound to change every year. Sometimes the gaps between the teams is big sometimes it’s smaller. Points comparisons from season to season would have to assume that all the opposition teams are of identical quality from year to year. Of course they aren’t so what does the comparison achieve?

League position is a much better indicator than points scored.
That would make sense if your consistency aligns with the league. However, when you consistently achieve a low point total and never sniffed winning, it shows a ceiling, a rather hard one at that. Turned out, the part of the fanbase that pointed out our finishes were down to the crappiness of our rivals rather than any real progress were right. You can have lightning in a bottle moments like Leicester, but relying on fellow competitors to hand you the prize is a faulty sporting strategy.

stevoc

Ole and Ralf were both absolutely woeful appointments. Ole clearly done far more damage, though.
No doubt mate, I'd wager the vast majority of managers who've been at a club for 3 years will have more of a positive/negative affect on said club when compared to a 6 month interim boss.

Robbie Boy

No doubt mate, I'd wager the vast majority of managers who've been at a club for 3 years will have more of a positive/negative affect on said club when compared to a 6 month interim boss.
Obviously :lol:

Point is: some still seem to think that Ole done a decent job; he really, really didn't.

mu4c_20le

Half of the team stopped giving a feck and were on the way out. I don't know what people expected.
Sure RR should've done better but it was an impossible job from the beginning. It highlighted United's mismanagement for years more than RR's incompetence.

It completely different when Ole took over. Back then it was just Mourinho and Pogba throwing hissy fits.
So........ Ronaldo was right.

Also, he did steady the ship and stop the losses. The problem was that he was tactically naive, and struggled with the intensity of the league and it showed in his game management when we conceded equalisers all the time. He wasn't terrible but could've done much better, and the season only really unraveled in the last two months. So I completely disagree about it being an 'impossible' situation, and I'm sure Ralf himself or any professional would feel the same.

stevoc

Obviously :lol:

Point is: some still seem to think that Ole done a decent job; he really, really didn't.
Obviously, he didn't win anything so ultimately he failed and got sacked. And I'd imagine there's a thread on here somewhere to discuss it.

Robbie Boy

Obviously, he didn't win anything so ultimately he failed and got sacked. And I'd imagine there's a thread on here somewhere to discuss it.
Ultimately, some keep defending him in here and his so-called 'achievements'...

No one seems to be able to discuss Ralf without bringing up Ole, and given you're the number one poster in here by an absolute mile, you should really get used to that fact. I get the impression that you are kind of trying to indirectly defend Ole in here or, you really fecking despise the interim who had a whole 6-months. It's hard to tell really.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
The disdain for Rangnick here is bizarre to say the least. Was he cut out for the job? Probably not. But he was tossed into an impossible task, managing a squad consisting of toxic weapons like Ronaldo, Pogba, Lingard and Henderson, and essentially given 6 months to fix a mess created by his amateur predecessor. He also wasn't given a transfer window to bolster the squad.

He wasn't wrong in his assessments too. We all laughed at him when he said we needed up to 10 new signings, turns out he wasn't wrong. We signed 4 good starters in the summer and still look like we'll need a similar amount to compete. So he wasn't far off.
I totally agree with this.

What I never understood about the Ralf Rangnick thing was this: why were United so open about him being an 'interim manager'? It made his position incredibly tough from the start (supply teacher is the term that springs to mind) they could have said he was the new manager and kept the actual plan - to get ETH and put Rangnick in a consultancy role - a secret.

stevoc

No one seems to be able to discuss Ralf without bringing up Ole, and given you're the number one poster in here by an absolute mile, you should really get used to that fact. I get the impression that you are kind of trying to indirectly defend Ole in here or, you really fecking despise the interim who had a whole 6-months. It's hard to tell really.
:lol:

A bit to unpack in your theories here mate. First off I'm genuinely touched you keep such a close eye on my posting activities, as you've said similar about 3 times now.

You're replying to a post where I said Solskjaer didn't win anything, failed and got sacked. Yeah I'm really defending him in here.

And now I despise Rangnick despite barely saying a bad word about his managing/directing ability, past career or him personally. Ok.

And you certainly don't seem able to discuss Ralf without bringing up Ole, that's 3 posts in a row you've made that were as much or more about Ole than Ralf in a Rangnick thread.

Robbie Boy

:lol:

A bit to unpack in your theories here mate. First off I'm genuinely touched you keep such a close eye on my posting activities, as you've said similar about 3 times now.

You're replying to a post where I said Solskjaer didn't win anything, failed and got sacked. Yeah I'm really defending him in here.

And now I despise Rangnick despite barely saying a bad word about his managing/directing ability, past career or him personally.
It's not hard to notice that anytime I open any Rangnick thread, there you are :lol:

If you don't despise him and you're *cough* not out to defend Ole, then why in the actual feck are you so invested? I'm genuinely curious here.

stevoc

It's not hard to notice that anytime I open any Rangnick thread, there you are :lol:
Of course I am, haven't you heard? I fecking despise Ralf. :lol:

If you don't despise him and you're *cough* not out to defend Ole, then why in the actual feck are you so invested? I'm genuinely curious here.
We've had this conversation before mate, look back one the last few times we had virtually the same exchange word for word. I could also ask why you're so invested in continually discussing Solskjaer but I don't care.

OrcaFat

That would make sense if your consistency aligns with the league. However, when you consistently achieve a low point total and never sniffed winning, it shows a ceiling, a rather hard one at that. Turned out, the part of the fanbase that pointed out our finishes were down to the crappiness of our rivals rather than any real progress were right. You can have lightning in a bottle moments like Leicester, but relying on fellow competitors to hand you the prize is a faulty sporting strategy.
I’m not sure what you mean. Regardless of what people think might be extenuating circumstances, the league position is the league position.

You know, a long time ago, we used to have a very good team. It was hard to beat us. We’ve been relatively poor for a few years. Tell me, does that mean that all the leagues won in the last few years are worth less because the winners didn’t have to face a strong United?

Strootman's Finger

I truly don't get the animosity towards Rangnick. Seems agenda driven, if it's Rangnicks fault, it's not ____________ fault.

Robbie Boy

Of course I am, haven't you heard? I fecking despise Ralf. :lol:

We've had this conversation before mate, look back one the last few times we had virtually the same exchange word for word. I could also ask why you're so invested in continually discussing Solskjaer but I don't care.
Who said you despise him? I said it looks like it's either option tbf, as you are ridiculously invested.

I don't think my post count matches up to yours when it comes to Ralf, mate. I'm happy to admit that I think both were absolutely terrible and I certainly wouldn't get involved in petty quibbles over PPG to paint Ole in a better light.

I'll have a gander back in a-few minutes to see what your rationale is; it's obviously slipped my mind.

fallengt

So........ Ronaldo was right.
Its an open secret. Anyone watches United know it. RR (and ETH) only needed two matches to see it.

We dont need a moaner to point it out. We need someone who can fix it. In RR he offered some names but club rejected because they didn't want to give interim manager money.

Why the feck club was so open about his interim job anyway? Players stopped trying after few games because they knew this manager wouldn't stay around for long

mu4c_20le

Its an open secret. Anyone watches United know it. RR (and ETH) only needed two matches to see it.

We dont need a moaner to point it out. We need someone who can fix it. In RR he offered some names but club rejected because they didn't want to give interim manager money.

Why the feck club was so open about his interim job anyway? Players stopped trying after few games because they knew this manager wouldn't stay around for long
IIRC, neither the club nor Ralf ever ruled himself out of the long term job in the beginning, as the initial results were decent. It was only around Feb or March that his tune started to change as the football and results got worse. The club referred to him as the interim manager because that was his title, same as ole before he got the job.

InfiniteBoredom

I’m not sure what you mean. Regardless of what people think might be extenuating circumstances, the league position is the league position.

You know, a long time ago, we used to have a very good team. It was hard to beat us. We’ve been relatively poor for a few years. Tell me, does that mean that all the leagues won in the last few years are worth less because the winners didn’t have to face a strong United?
Debate between teams of different era is pretty common in football. A league win is a league win, but most would be open minded enough to admit that the Chelsea team of 07-11, for instance, that lost out to us in the league 4 out of 5 times would more than likely pick up a league or two between 13-17. By the same token, a Utd team under OGS that average less than 2 ppg whether the real contenders were breaking point record or just have an average league winning point haul of 85+ is widely acknowledged to be also ran extraordinaire, regardless of whether the league finish look respectable or not. A shit league winner is still a league winner, a shit 2nd is nobody.

OrcaFat

I truly don't get the animosity towards Rangnick. Seems agenda driven, if it's Rangnicks fault, it's not ____________ fault.
I wouldn’t say it’s his fault. I’m surprised if anyone is really blaming him for anything. It was just a very curious appointment that didn’t pan out. Towards the end it was almost like sabotage but the underlying truth was he just didn’t care.

It’s an interesting topic to me because it was put to us as a new dawn, a review of the club and the football strategy with his first hand observations supposedly feeding into that. I think nobody really considered him a coach, more a strategist filling in for the coach.

I don’t know if he actually made any recommendations to the board but the impression is that he was more or less ignored. He looked fully dejected from very early on.

So I just keep wondering why the board would seek this guy out. I like him a lot by the way. I think he should have been allowed to do the job we all thought he was there to do. My hunch is that the board didn’t like what he has to say which seems pretty typical - they only listen to the advice they like.

I like ETH as well but I’m still not sure about the structure of the club. What happens when ETH leaves? New dawn again?

Robbie Boy

Debate between teams of different era is pretty common in football. A league win is a league win, but most would be open minded enough to admit that the Chelsea team of 07-11, for instance, that lost out to us in the league 4 out of 5 times would more than likely pick up a league or two between 13-17. By the same token, a Utd team under OGS that average less than 2 ppg whether the real contenders were breaking point record or just have an average league winning point haul of 85+ is widely acknowledged to be also ran extraordinaire, regardless of whether the league finish look respectable or not. A shit league winner is still a league winner, a shit 2nd is nobody.
What's funny too is that the some of the same posters who ridicule Jose's second place finish, will praise Ole's second place finish as some major achievement. I'll be brutally honest; it was a major achievement for Ole, as he really isn't a particularly good manager, but it was nothing noteworthy whatsoever for the club. Jose also had a better second place finish - points wise - with a poorer squad. Both of those second-place finishes - for me - aren't worth anything, and both seasons were actually fairly poor.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

What's funny too is that the some of the same posters who ridicule Jose's second place finish, will praise Ole's second place finish as some major achievement. I'll be brutally honest; it was a major achievement for Ole, as he really isn't a particular good manager, but it was nothing noteworthy whatsoever for the club. Jose also had a better second place finish - points wise - with a poorer squad. Both of those second-place finishes - for me - aren't worth anything, and both seasons were actually fairly poor.
The only time I've ever seen Jose's 2nd place finish being ridiculed is when responding to a Jose fanboy bigging it up in the first place. It was a terrible season in terms of football and we won nothing, which is was probably why Woody lost confidence in him and stopped him from signing Maguire the next season.

OrcaFat

So you think your own arguments don’t apply if you are 1st but they do apply if you are 2nd. It sounds ludicrous but I suppose you might have a point because at least there is a trophy for 1st.

Gandalf

We cannot excuse Ole from blame after 3 years. He let McKenna coach the team and there's no way the club bought Maguire, AWB, VDB and Varane (poor injury history)without his major input.
Maguire had been on the shopping list for 12 months before being signed and the scouting of AWB was well advanced whilst Ole was still wearing the interim tag. VDB was the consolation prize as it was known Ole wanted Grealish in that window. Varane is frankly a great signing and so I am not sure what bringing him up is meant to prove but I won't give Ole much credit for that deal as it would be hypocritical for me to praise him for the good signings if I am excusing him for the poor ones.

The one player who seemed to be pretty much an Ole buy from day 1 was Dan James. Not the best player we ever signed of course but he was very raw and played far more in his first season than he should have done due to how thin the squad was, Andreas Pereira played around 40 times that season to give it some context. In his second season he was phased out from the first team for large periods as it was obvious he was not at the level required and then he was sold for a nice profit, one of the highest transfer fees received in the clubs history if you can believe.

A load are convinced that Ronaldo was where it all went wrong for Ole, as though it was ever going right.
Some have even gone as far now as convincing themselves that Ronaldo was forced on Ole, a manager who didn’t want him.

The poster above is now claiming Maguire and AWB weren’t his either. And is doing a great spin job on the Dan James transfer that makes Ole look a genius in the market. Anything to make his time look more rosey.

Imagine that, thinking Ole was on the right track? But we know tonnes did, cause we debated non-stop for almost three years with the acolytes.
Ralf being shite is clearly some kind of comfort to those who backed Ole most vehemently, so they certainly don’t wanna give him any slack for you know, being there just 6 months, having zero power over players, especially when we confirmed ETH in mid-April (we won one of our last 6 from the point every single paper and media outlet in the land announced that ETH was soon to be confirmed) and not a single transfer of his own.

We lost as many games (4) after every man and his dog knew ETH was coming, as we had for the entire rest of RR’s spell in charge. Could be a coincidence mind.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Caretaker with no clearance to buy or sell... Ronaldo must be very desperate to attack even him.

Ugh... are we gonna talk about Ralf in 2023, too ?

stevoc

Who said you despise him? I said it looks like it's either option tbf, as you are ridiculously invested.
Yes ridiculously invested. :lol:

I don't think my post count matches up to yours when it comes to Ralf, mate. I'm happy to admit that I think both were absolutely terrible and I certainly wouldn't get involved in petty quibbles over PPG to paint Ole in a better light.
You really are keeping a close eye on all my conversations in here. Don't know if I should feel flattered or worried. :lol:

And yeah I don't imagine any of the petty squabbles you've been involved in on here over the last few years were in defence of Solskjaer.

I'll have a gander back in a-few minutes to see what your rationale is; it's obviously slipped my mind.
Can't wait.

OrcaFat

Caretaker with no clearance to buy or sell... Ronaldo must be very desperate to attack even him.

Ugh... are we gonna talk about Ralf in 2023, too ?
Ha ha, probably not. The subject of RR probably still has traction because of the questions it raises about the structure of the club and the competency of the board (at that time at least).

Vapor trail

Ragnick was an awful appointment for manager pioneered by an even worse John Murtough. Ragnick should have really been in Murtoughs role. Ronaldo has elevated the facts to suit his agenda but he is correct about those in executive positions including Fletcher, Murtough and Arnold. Everyone of them needs to go.

Robbie Boy

Yes ridiculously invested. :lol:

You really are keeping a close eye on all my conversations in here. Don't know if I should feel flattered or worried. :lol:

And yeah I don't imagine any of the petty squabbles you've been involved in on here over the last few years were in defence of Solskjaer.

Can't wait.
Apologies, work got the better of me. I'll try check out your rationale when I get in from the gym.

Well, as I said, it's not hard to see your posts in a RR thread. I certainly don't have to seek them out. Point is: your petty squabbles are always to put down Ralf and paint Ole in a better light. You seem intent on doing that as the PPG argument proved.

In fairness, I'm slightly embarrassed by some of my Ole posts over the years. I actually gave him far too much leeway for far too long. I should have stuck with my instincts rather than getting sucked in by some on here.

stevoc

Apologies, work got the better of me. I'll try check out your rationale when I get in from the gym.

Well, as I said, it's not hard to see your posts in a RR thread. I certainly don't have to seek them out. Point is: your petty squabbles are always to put down Ralf and paint Ole in a better light. You seem intent on doing that as the PPG argument proved.

In fairness, I'm slightly embarrassed by some of my Ole posts over the years. I actually gave him far too much leeway for far too long. I should have stuck with my instincts rather than getting sucked in by some on here.
The goal is rarely to paint Ole or anyone in a better light as opposed to highlighting just how bad Ralf was during his time at United. I've no problem with Ralf personally just some of the bullshit narrative that surrounds his time at United.

We've all been there mate. That ppg conversation was mostly tongue in cheek. And I said at the time it was a silly debate.

The goal is rarely to paint Ole or anyone in a better light
Top poster in this thread by far, always negative as feck to RR and giving him zero benefit or doubt of leeway.

Top poster in ”Damage done by previous remine” thread, by far, always giving benefit of doubt and tonnes of leeway.

Second top poster in “Ole’s farewell interview”, once again, defending Ole’s time at the club and especially strong views about how good the squad he left behind was.

I think you are pal.

Last edited:

RVN1991

Rangnick has never been a manager good enough for this level, I would've liked to have seen what our transfer window would've looked like had he been given the chance to rebuild the squad but he was never anything more than a caretaker until the end of the season.

I can see how Ronaldo would have an issue with his appointment seeing how he came with big expectations for the season and instead of upgrading on Ole we went sideways.

Robbie Boy

The only time I've ever seen Jose's 2nd place finish being ridiculed is when responding to a Jose fanboy bigging it up in the first place. It was a terrible season in terms of football and we won nothing, which is was probably why Woody lost confidence in him and stopped him from signing Maguire the next season.
I agree that it's mainly been ridiculed when his fans try pass it off as some sort of achievement. But, some of those same fans are quick to big-up Ole's second place finish.

As much as I hate these particular rhetorics; it's clear that some on here have obsessively fan-boyed over far too many of our post-Fergie appointments, and there's a lesson to be learned there. There's one ardent Jose fan around these parts who has basically slated every post-Jose appointment, and regularly has pops at ETH.

All of our appointments post-Fergie have been pretty disastrous. With Woodward gone and ETH coming in, there finally looks to be light at the end of the tunnel, but we shall see.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

A load are convinced that Ronaldo was where it all went wrong for Ole, as though it was ever going right.
Some have even gone as far now as convincing themselves that Ronaldo was forced on Ole, a manager who didn’t want him.

The poster above is now claiming Maguire and AWB weren’t his either. And is doing a great spin job on the Dan James transfer that makes Ole look a genius in the market. Anything to make his time look more rosey.

Imagine that, thinking Ole was on the right track? But we know tonnes did, cause we debated non-stop for almost three years with the acolytes.
Ralf being shite is clearly some kind of comfort to those who backed Ole most vehemently, so they certainly don’t wanna give him any slack for you know, being there just 6 months, having zero power over players, especially when we confirmed ETH in mid-April (we won one of our last 6 from the point every single paper and media outlet in the land announced that ETH was soon to be confirmed) and not a single transfer of his own.

We lost as many games (4) after every man and his dog knew ETH was coming, as we had for the entire rest of RR’s spell in charge. Could be a coincidence mind.
Aye mate, the goalpost shifting does my fecking head in, especially with Ole fans writing off any of his poor signings, as not his signings. Funnily enough, these same fans will be full sure that he handpicked Bruno...

As for Ole's general time in charge: it was all a-bit shite, and the proof has been in the pudding. I tried to be balanced in my views towards him post-Bruno, and as I said, in hindsight, I often gave him too much credit. I never fully believed in him but he did have some good moments here for sure. It always felt like he was only an interim during his whole tenure though, and it was hard to see him having any success here.

Ralf came in, and I admit, I knew next to nothing about him. But he had an interesting CV and came across well, imo. Unfortunately it was an unmitigated disaster, but there are/were mitigating circumstances, that some refuse to acknowledge. I don't see any harm in conveying across those mitigating circumstances and you do a damn good job of that! I personally wouldn't have the will, as Ralf is pretty irrelevant to me, and he made me totally stop caring towards the end. Again, there were circumstances well outside his control. I don't have any ill feelings towards him though and best of luck to him.

We look like we're FINALLY moving in the right direction so fingers crossed!

Aye mate, the goalpost shifting does my fecking head in, especially with Ole fans writing off any of his poor signings, as not his signings. Funnily enough, these same fans will be full sure that he handpicked Bruno...

As for Ole's general time in charge: it was all a-bit shite, and the proof has been in the pudding. I tried to be balanced in my views towards him post-Bruno, and as I said, in hindsight, I often gave him too much credit. I never fully believed in him but he did have some good moments here for sure. It always felt like he was only an interim during his whole tenure though, and it was hard to see him having any success here.

Ralf came in, and I admit, I knew next to nothing about him. But he had an interesting CV and came across well, imo. Unfortunately it was an unmitigated disaster, but there are/were mitigating circumstances, that some refuse to acknowledge. I don't see any harm in conveying across those mitigating circumstances and you do a damn good job of that! I personally wouldn't have the will, as Ralf is pretty irrelevant to me, and he made me totally stop caring towards the end. Again, there were circumstances well outside his control. I don't have any ill feelings towards him though and best of luck to him.

We look like we're FINALLY moving in the right direction so fingers crossed!
Agree with every word pal.

It’s quite funny to laugh at Ralf’s spell mind, I was giddy, loads were giddy, he was gonna be ace… and he was fecking shite beyond belief :lol:
Easier to laugh at Ralf though as we knew he was never staying, Ole though was pure long drawn out torture for me. I always knew we weren’t picking up some bloke from Molde and him suddenly being a Pep/Klopp buster, and every single time I felt we’d be put out of our misery and move on to someone that could give me hope for the future, he’d go and win a big game.
There’s was a point there last season where I thought he was gonna beat Watford, go on a run, get his 66 points and a chunk of the fanbase would be trying to convince me he did well in the circumstances, I couldn’t see the end, worried we might have 6 years of that nothingness shite.

Not criticizing what we did just looking at it from Ronaldo's perspective.
meh, Drogba has won a CL with Di Matteo as his interim.

I don’t really get Ronaldo’s point here, interims are never managers at the top of the game, it’s just someone to take the reins for a few months whilst the club search out a new permanent manager. Could easily have been Giggs, or Carrick, neither of whom have anything like the coaching credentials of RR.
Ronaldo only really gave a shit and complains about it because RR wanted to install a system, one that Ronaldo has absolutely zero interest playing in and doesn’t believe in. He’s won all his CL’s with managers that play a much more traditional/non- strict system in fairness.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Well, of course it’s difficult to know what to believe. Whitwell and Norcroft usually don’t base their speculation on nothing, then again, it’s hard to tell sometimes when they have a good source or when they or their sources are second guessing. Being from Norway, a friend of someone I know talks to Ole and asked him point blank about wether he had wanted the Ronaldo move. The answer he said was a clear no - that he accepted it but didn’t want it.
I don’t really expect anyone to believe ‘ITK’-stuff like this, and there are room for misunderstandings in this story too, just as even solid journalists often get quite a few details wrong even if they get the big picture and main themes quite well.

What makes sense to me about the version in the info I have, is that we know that Solskjær had ambitions of getting United to play with higher press. He said so in his early interviews, he did it with Molde, and we saw him start with it several times only to retract when the players lost too many lose goals. Solskjær learnt a lot about low defending and direct attacks under Egil Drillo Olsen, Ferguson and Queiroz, and it may be his strongest suit as a coach, but he was inspired by Meulensteen, Guardiola and Klopp early on to defend higher up and create overloads, and he implemented featurea of this quite successfully with Utd reserves and Molde. This was also alligned with McKenna’s and Carrick’s ideas, and getting Varane and Sancho seemed like maybe the crucial pieces of a puzzle to be able to stand high and create overloads. I’m in no doubt that was the strategy for the new season last year as well, for taking the final step from finalist and second place to real challengers. I think the implosion was mainly the result of how it didn’t work well enough, and the players reactions when there were setbacks. I don’t think Ronaldo was the main reason. But it would be clear to Ole that Ronaldo was not the player needed to make this kind of transition. In fact, he could have been very useful against Villarreal in the final a few months before, stylistically, but not with the way we lined up against Leeds and Southampton in last season’s openers.

The second thing is that Solskjær knew Ronaldo from close up. He would know, perhaps better than anyone, that Ronaldo was the most opposite personality of himself thinkable. He knew how to get the most out of Ighalo and a 36 year old Cavani, but he would also know very well that Ronaldo was not a good candidate for such a role. To me it makes very little sense that Solskjær would want Ronaldo in at huge wages at that point in time. Ferguson probably would, Woodward certainly would, Joel Glazer certainly would, but Solskjær, I find that unlikely.
I thought I'd respond to your post in this thread, because I feel it's important to discuss Solskjaer's shortcomings as a manager, which imo had a detrimental effect on Rangnick's short tenure as the placeholder on a temporary basis. Because the team Rangnick inherited was overseen and developed by Solskjaer in preceding years. I don't think we can isolate Rangnick's short stint without scrutinizing the several years in which Solskjaer went about developing the team.

I loved Solskjaer as a player but I have to be honest about my thoughts regarding his tenure as the manager of the club. I have to put sentiments to one side and give a honest appraisal of his work at the club.

I agree with you about Solskjaer saying he wanted to implement a progressive play style, which involved pressing and counter pressing high up the pitch. Solskjaer even mentioned he wanted to 'play a high line like Jurgen' but didn't have the players. So if we take a closer look at the players he did sign before Ronaldo's arrival, then imo it's more than likely, he also signed Ronaldo which is backed up by tier 1 journalists like Whitwell, Crafton and Northcroft.

If one has ambitions of playing a high line with a emphasis on high intensity, forward/vertical play and to then counter that with high pressing/counter pressing in the event of a turn over of possession, then you don't sign Aaron Wan Bissaka, and I'd also argue you don't sign Harry Maguire for such a play style. Because a fullback is extremely important to give you a out-ball and has to be technically and physically of the requisite standard to evade the press, progress play and provide the intensity up and down the flank. And a CB has to be good in possession (could argue Maguire was) but he also has to have the physical and athletical capabilities to contain/control a larger space imo, especially against teams who like to defend high in numbers. And that's something Maguire was weak at due to him not being the most mobile or agile player, and hence was always going to be a weakness in a high defensive line. So both Wan Bissaka and Maguire were very poor signings if we measure their attributes against what Solskjaer spoke about implementing, which was to adopt a imposing playing style similar to Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool. I actually brought this up at the time, and said both signings were poor due to what Solskjær spoke about implementing. It was a very poor transfer window.

Bruno Fernandes is said to be Soskjaer's best signing, but imo signing him further destabilised the midfield composition and further highlighted a lack of thought when it came to constructing the midfield. We already had Pogba who was best utilised in a more advanced role and with Matic already at the club, it would've been sensible to balance the midfield out by signing a creative #8 instead, and we'd have a midfield three that is much more balanced. But Solskjaer instead went ahead with signing Bruno and caused a imbalance in the midfield imo.

For many years we've been in need of a right sided attacker/winger. And Solskjaer it seems identified a left sided attacker to fill a gap on the right wing. Jadon Sancho was best utilised on the left imo and I mentioned that in the players thread before we signed him. The players youth coaches also said he was best utilised on the left and at Dortmund the right winger was their wingback Achraf Hakimi who was statistically the most dangerous player for the opposition due to his involvement in any given passage of play/sequence resulting in Dortmund having the highest chance to score a goal. And when we eventually signed Sancho, Solskjaer admitted in one of his press conferences, that Sancho preferred playing on the left. Rangnick mentioned the same and ten Hag has also said the same about Sancho preferring the left. We needed a right winger but we ended up signing another left winger.

I would actually be surprised if Solskjaer didn't want to sign Ronaldo after how things transpired with his other big signings which made little sense as far as creating a team to play a proactive, attacking style, which he spoke about. He ended up creating a reactive team with the signings he made. And credit to Kieran Mckenna who still managed to coach the players considering he was having to coach some players who were far away from the play style he was accustomed to coaching. I think without Mckenna things would've ended even quicker for Solskjaer, because Solskjaer in his own words has never been a coach.

Whoever came in as the placeholder, was going to have issues imo. Not only did we have a imbalanced team but according to reports, Solskjaer had alienated many of the playing squad by making promises of game time which never came to fruition. And that created a toxicity in the dressing room which imo engulfed Rangnick who can't possibly have been prepared for what was to come. He didn't help himself with his idiotic press conferences by attacking the players he would later need to perform for him on the pitch. Rangnick might not have been a great coach but he had shown in his career that he could at least be a good one, where he demonstrably implemented a proactive attacking game style in a major European league where his Hoffenheim team was playing a brand of attacking football that would cause Bayern Munich problems. I remember one game where Hoffenheim played Bayern, and the game was so high intense with ferocious pressing that one media outlet in Germany (quote below) called for the game to be included in the curriculum for people taking coaching courses.

Local newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung called for a DVD of the match to be included “in the curriculum for the German FA’s manager course: this much pace, this much intensity, this much of all the things that have unfortunately only been characteristic of football elsewhere, has not been seen in Germany over 90 minutes.”

The idea to hire him was correct, on a short term basis, but the damage that was already done before his arrival has to be taken into consideration and Rangnick further destabilised that by his attack on the players.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Yeah, it's pretty strange. There's a host of mitigating factors and the start of this season was the same. Thankfully ETH showed his mettle there and then and turned course, made some big decisions and we're still benefitting. Mind, we still need quite a few suitable players, and to ship out quite a few. I think the overall consensus wasn't ridicule when Rangnick was talking about how much needed to change, but more agreement. Somehow the narrative changed to him being useless. In hindsight, I think the biggest hurdle for him was having to assemble a brand new coaching team midseason with nothing to offer other than a short stint. And he didn't know that beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.