Random Suggestions

Raptori

Special needs
There are a couple of small things that I've wanted to suggest for a while now, but I can't see a thread for random suggestions/feedback, if there is one could someone kindly merge this into that?

1) On the user profile popup thing, it'd be great to see the user's lineup prediction league score. Ideally it'd show three things: predictions made, total score, average score. Every time someone posts their points in the matchday thread it makes me wish their info was easily accessible :)

2) It'd be cool to have replies to yourself (and possibly users you follow) highlighted so that they're more noticeable within the flow of threads. A couple of times (especially in threads where there are multiple replies in a short period of time) I've had to waste a bit of time looking for replies to me - and it should be a pretty easy thing to add if I'm not mistaken.

I knocked up some custom css to see how it could look, screenshot and example css:

Code:
.bbCodeQuote[data-author="Locka"] {border: 1px solid #D00000 !important;}
.bbCodeQuote[data-author="Locka"] .attribution, .bbCodeQuote[data-author="Locka"] .attribution a {background: #D00000 !important; color: #fff; border-radius: 0px !important; border: none !important; box-shadow: none !important;}
.username[data-user="63211, @Locka"] {background: #D00000 !important; color: #fff !important; border-radius: 4px !important; margin: 0 !important;}

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Thanks for the suggestions @Raptori.

The lineup predictions one is definitely going to happen once I have time.

I'll have a think about #2 and get back to you.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Nice suggestions but with regards to number 2, I prefer how things currently are. It just seems like too much red to me in your example, and for those who browse the caf at work, the natural red of the site theme is just about okay, without drawing attention to more of the screen via the quotes having red. As for replies to yourself, wouldn't the alert system help with that? For little things like that, which could potentially be divisive in opinions, some sort of css editor extension for Chrome/Firefox/other browser would be better suited I think.

Raptori

Special needs
Nice suggestions but with regards to number 2, I prefer how things currently are. It just seems like too much red to me in your example, and for those who browse the caf at work, the natural red of the site theme is just about okay, without drawing attention to more of the screen via the quotes having red. As for replies to yourself, wouldn't the alert system help with that? For little things like that, which could potentially be divisive in opinions, some sort of css editor extension for Chrome/Firefox/other browser would be better suited I think.
Yah I know what you mean, but it's just as simple to make it black or something instead of red, so that shouldn't be an issue. The alert system covers it most of the time, but I've sometimes missed replies when there are a lot all at once. It's not really a big deal, but since it was such a simple change I thought I'd mention it :)

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Yeah, you could use probably use Stylish or Greasemonkey to achieve the affect in suggestion #2.

I did something similar with my ignore list. Instead of having the posts completely hidden as I'd still find myself being curious to what they were saying when I saw replies to them, I made it so that posts by any of them were really faint/low opacity until you hovered over them.

Still easy to ignore, but also easy to read if you really wanted to.

Raptori

Special needs
I've never tried Stylish, and haven't touched Greasemonkey for years - always trying to keep the number of extensions as low as possible. Might be worth it for this though, if it keeps happening then I'll probably give it a go :)

That ignore functionality sounds pretty good, might have to do something similar and start ignoring people :D

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yeah, you could use probably use Stylish or Greasemonkey to achieve the affect in suggestion #2.

I did something similar with my ignore list. Instead of having the posts completely hidden as I'd still find myself being curious to what they were saying when I saw replies to them, I made it so that posts by any of them were really faint/low opacity until you hovered over them.

Still easy to ignore, but also easy to read if you really wanted to.
:lol:That seems a bizarre level of effort to go to in order to semi-ignore people. You must really hate some posters.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
:lol:That seems a bizarre level of effort to go to in order to semi-ignore people. You must really hate some posters.
:lol:

Nah, I just randomly got the idea one day when thinking about something else, and when I get an idea like that, it'll bug me until I've done it. I don't use it now.

I've never tried Stylish, and haven't touched Greasemonkey for years - always trying to keep the number of extensions as low as possible. Might be worth it for this though, if it keeps happening then I'll probably give it a go :)

That ignore functionality sounds pretty good, might have to do something similar and start ignoring people :D
I've only got Stylish installed at the moment, I assumed Greasemonkey used up more memory than Stylish so didn't reinstall it after my hard drive went kaput. Plus it's a bit too complicated for me, so I didn't really use it much anyway :p

Stylish is pretty good and quite simple though, so I'd always recommend it :)

Raptori

Special needs
:lol:

Nah, I just randomly got the idea one day when thinking about something else, and when I get an idea like that, it'll bug me until I've done it. I don't use it now.

I've only got Stylish installed at the moment, I assumed Greasemonkey used up more memory than Stylish so didn't reinstall it after my hard drive went kaput. Plus it's a bit too complicated for me, so I didn't really use it much anyway :p

Stylish is pretty good and quite simple though, so I'd always recommend it :)
Hah, I have like 10, mostly web development related addons. Memory is definitely the big problem with that kind of addon, particularly Greasemonkey since the scripts themselves could cause problems. I think there are a few places where I've really wanted to add my own css to a site I visit a lot, so I'll try out Stylish then :D

Borys

Statistics Wizard
In the Post Match thread we could add links to interesting articles about the game. Those threads are usually active one or two days after the game and I guess there would be a bunch of members interested in reading those. Threadmark could make it easy to find. Don’t know who would post it though.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Shouldn't the pictures next to the thread titles on the main page be click through links?

Also is it possible to make the main nav at the top of the page fixed to the top of the browser when scrolling down? Therefore the user can have access to their inbox, notifications etc from anywhere in the page.

Raptori

Special needs
Shouldn't the pictures next to the thread titles on the main page be click through links?

Also is it possible to make the main nav at the top of the page fixed to the top of the browser when scrolling down? Therefore the user can have access to their inbox, notifications etc from anywhere in the page.
Second one would definitely be useful, especially for the profile stuff - and for mobile it'd be cool to have a slide-out menu for that kind of thing. I always use the unread posts bit so the first one doesn't bother me. :)

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
May clash with the headline info of each post so not sure how they may work around that. Though if the black bar and search function are held in place with it, that could be a way around it for desktop and tablet devices. Probably a waste of screen space to include that function on mobile view beyond the top bar, thus introducing the colour clash again.

Cina

Yeah we pay good money for this service for feck sake!

kps88

While we're at it, it takes too many clicks to get to the latest post on a match day thread when on a mobile. You have to click on "match day", then you click "go to match" and then, finally, you have to click on the latest page. Would be nice if this could involve less clicks.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
An "Add to Conversation" link on member cards. When clicked on, it brings up a list of your own existing conversations to add a person to (if you have the permission to add them to the convo).

Raptori

Special needs
Yeah we pay good money for this service for feck sake!
Suggestions for improvements =/= thinking Niall should spend all his time developing the site/not appreciating how awesome it is. ;)

I'm happy to help code stuff as well if help is wanted.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Could we create personal notes about other members? So that maybe in the NFL thread for example you know which team a poster supports.

Maybe only allow a line of text for each poster.

thelemon

There's a lineup prediction league but is there a score prediction league? I think a score prediction leaderboard would be great.

Raptori

Special needs
There's a lineup prediction league but is there a score prediction league? I think a score prediction leaderboard would be great.
I asked about that a while ago in a different thread, think @Niall said that it's a possibility in the future, he'd just need the time to make it.

thelemon

Well
I asked about that a while ago in a different thread, think @Niall said that it's a possibility in the future, he'd just need the time to make it.
there would be no point this season as there's only two more games, it would be awesome in the future though.

Raptori

Special needs
Well
there would be no point this season as there's only two more games, it would be awesome in the future though.
He did say that it'd be able to use the predictions made so far this season, it'd be cool to see how well people have done I think! :)

diarm

The faded "read messages" feature in the Transfer Tweets tab is really excellent.
Has anyone ever suggested/is it even possible to implement that to the forum threads?

Would be very handy, particularly in large and heavy traffic threads, to be able to log on and easily find where you left off.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
The faded "read messages" feature in the Transfer Tweets tab is really excellent.
Has anyone ever suggested/is it even possible to implement that to the forum threads?

Would be very handy, particularly in large and heavy traffic threads, to be able to log on and easily find where you left off.
Just click the blue dot, that will take you to the first unread post.

Last edited:

diarm

@diarm @Niall @Eboue You could also click on the time of the last message for example "a few seconds ago" The easier way.

Doing that takes you to the last message posted. What Eboue is referring to is taking you to the first unread post.
Yes Eboue's way is what I was talking about in my initial post. I had always been using your way JR but this blue dot brings you right up to the last message posted since you last visited that thread. Very handy and this forum continues to impress.