Steven Gerrard | Rangers Manager

The Bloody-Nine

Daft decision by Rangers to appoint a total novice and a daft decision by Gerrard to take a job where the best he can hope for is second, with third being unacceptable.

Shoot your adviser, Stevie.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Daft decision by Rangers to appoint a total novice and a daft decision by Gerrard to take a job where the best he can hope for is second, with third being unacceptable.

Shoot your adviser, Stevie.
Bet they all said that when souness took over too. He may not work out but sometimes you have to take a chance. Besides rangers are not working from a position of power so a it’s not like they have a load of top class managers beating down their door. Gerrard MAY surprise a few. He will want to prove himself as he’s got eyes on Klopps job

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I know it's Gerrard bla bla but I am really hoping he does well as a manager. I'm personally very disappointed he has gone to Scotland, it would be far more interesting to follow his career in a more competitive league such as the English leagues, or somewhere like Spain or Italy.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Don't think it is so daft from his side and I doubt there is much interest for his services anyway. He might get second place (Rangers finished third before this season and are most likely to do it again). Also, that might be considered as a decent job and hopefully convince Liverpool to hire him after Klopp. Which would please me greatly.

MoskvaRed

I think Gerrard’s ego has got the better of him and he feels he needs to manage a big club rather than start somewhere more low key. Even though this particular big club don’t have two pennies to rub together. I can’t see this ending well.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I know it's Gerrard bla bla but I am really hoping he does well as a manager. I'm personally very disappointed he has gone to Scotland, it would be far more interesting to follow his career in a more competitive league such as the English leagues, or somewhere like Spain or Italy.
Why? The man is a bellend, always been. Nobody would hire him in Spain or Italy btw. Tbh I just want him to get Liverpool job in the near future.

golden_blunder

Staff
Fergie just now on radio interview, transcript by me
aye, Stephen called me. I told him to trust himself and learn from it. He’s got a big chance there, a good opportunity. Rangers are a big club but Celtic have been winning it all. I told him to knock them off their perch (chuckles). He can do it you know. No doubt about that

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
I think Gerrard’s ego has got the better of him and he feels he needs to manage a big club rather than start somewhere more low key. Even though this particular big club don’t have two pennies to rub together. I can’t see this ending well.
Do you mean just like Giggs did?

FujiVice

Aside from maybe Sunderland, Rangers is the job I'd have cherry picked for this cnut if I had my way. The shittest job in football with the most demanding fans. They'll hate him up there in about a fortnight.

SerenityValley

Don't see what he could do wrong tbh. Won't be expected to win the league and will always end second or third if he doesn't completely feck it up.
Not this season but Rangers (2012) fans will expect them to win next year.

Luke1995

Interesting. Nice to see big players who retired recently getting good management gigs. Giggs at Wales, Gerrard at Rangers, Patrick Vieira at the MLS, Henry working with Belgium, Carrick at our coaching staff...Lampard and Scholes have talked about possibly starting a career in it. If those people went on to become top managers, the next two decades could be very good for football.

The risk of the Rangers job ain't bigger than the one Gary Neville took at Valencia, there's no way to know what Gerrard will do there until we see it but his presence alone will make players respect him and create a good environment in the dressing room somewhat like Zidane has things going at Madrid.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Big club with little to no expectations of success in the near future. Unless he's a total disaster I don't see how he can lose here. Even then he'll just slide into punditry.

SATA

I don't think anyone cares about this to be honest unless you are a Rangers fan and see what he can bring to their side. Celtic will still be expected to win the league again next year

golden_blunder

Staff
I don't think anyone cares about this to be honest unless you are a Rangers fan and see what he can bring to their side. Celtic will still be expected to win the league again next year
Yep there’s more pressure on Rodgers to win against a rookie manager, one he used to manage

That is unless he quits for arsenal

ZAGREB RED

Well, we always used to say Falkirk fans were just rangers fans who couldn’t afford the bus to ibrox :)
Hearts, Dundee, Falkirk, Airdrie and Motherwell have all come into that category at times.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Good luck to him. Don't want him anywhere near the Liverpool hot seat in future unless he proves himself extensively elsewhere.

ZAGREB RED

This is from the club who upon promotion back to the SPL, were expecting an immediate title challenge.

Glasgow is a goldfish bowl, the pressure on Gerrard will be huge.
At the start of 17/18 season they were all talking about winning the first game against Celtic in September to open up a lead in the SPL then go on and win the League...they lost 5-1, Barton was gone not long after and Warburton not long after that. Barton was apparently nailed on to be player of the year but fell foul of the zombie hordes for wearing green boots after they twigged he wasn't up to it. Only played a handful of games before he was sent packing.
No one does delusion like the WATP brigade down Govan way..some of the punters on the BBC news being interviewed talking about how he will bring a "physical presence" to the team - they do realise he isn't player/manager don't they, surely ? Dave King talking about how Gerrard's inexperience will count for him, not against him. At least they will be able to flog some season tickets on the back of this.

Last edited by a moderator:

ti vu

Good luck to him. Don't want him anywhere near the Liverpool hot seat in future unless he proves himself extensively elsewhere.
Question is if he is able to win Scottish PL and Klopp days comes to an end at the same time, would it be enough proof?

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Question is if he is able to win Scottish PL and Klopp days comes to an end at the same time, would it be enough proof?
Would depend on how he goes about it and how Celtic do after Rodgers, but probably not. There would still be better candidates out there and the SPL is a pile of piss.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I think he'll do well.

Last edited:

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Why? The man is a bellend, always been. Nobody would hire him in Spain or Italy btw. Tbh I just want him to get Liverpool job in the near future.
To answer your question of why, it's because I think it's absolutely pathetic & inexcusable how few good English managers there are. The only time I wouldn't want an English manager to do well is if he was managing one of our rivals or against us, I don't hold grudges against a manager just because I didn't like him as a player.

poleglass red

4 yr contract, seems very risky for a novice in such a big and expectant club. There'll be no settling in period, Rangers expect to win, no matter how shite they are.

JK-27

Even if Gerrard is a success with Rangers it means nothing. Neil Lennon got the Celtic job, won the title, beat Barcelona, and even then the best job offer he got in England was at Bolton in the Championship, and he failed miserably. Just shows the level of Scottish football. Rogers couldn't win the Prem but has walked the Scottish league for 2 seasons straight (but failed in Europe). Success in Scotland means nothing, but failure is damning.