Steven Gerrard | Rangers Manager

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
To answer your question of why, it's because I think it's absolutely pathetic & inexcusable how few good English managers there are. The only time I wouldn't want an English manager to do well is if he was managing one of our rivals or against us, I don't hold grudges against a manager just because I didn't like him as a player.
Ok, I do find it hard to sympathize with a person I didn't particularly like at any point. And something tells me he is not the one who will improve the status of English managers. Yet to be seen of course.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Because he did his badges and has been working as a coach?
Ah, didn't know he had any badges.

He hasn't worked as a manager though. If I were in charge of Rangers I don't think I'd give him a 4 year contract just like that...

AlwaysRed66

Mourinho/Guardiola/Klopp/Conte wouldn't win the SPL with Rangers due to the massive financial difference between them & Celtic, but supposedly a novice is supposed to do this feat. I predict before we reach Christmas Rangers delusional fans will be chanting for Gerrard's head as he isn't topping the table. I can see his managerial career going up in smoke, like John Barnes before him.

TheRedScot

In Any Fight It’s The Guy Whose Willing To Die Who
Mourinho/Guardiola/Klopp/Conte wouldn't win the SPL with Rangers due to the massive financial difference between them & Celtic, but supposedly a novice is supposed to do this feat. I predict before we reach Christmas Rangers delusional fans will be chanting for Gerrard's head as he isn't topping the table. I can see his managerial career going up in smoke, like John Barnes before him.
Clearly you don’t know rangers fans. Or are assuming that rangers are the only club with dillusioanal supporters. I’m a life long rangers fan(united have always been my second club). No logical fan expects rangers to win the league. But a challenge to Celtic in terms of old firms is a must. At least learn from mistakes. murty, who I sympathise with was incabale of making adjustments. And conceded two heavy defeats in a row. Rangers had a far better squad of players than Celtic during the 90s and early 00s . Yet Celtic still competed and on occasions bettered us in old firm matches.

Celtic are a far better run club ran rangers and have a fantastic manager. But that should all go out the window during old firm matches. Yet since Rodgers took over we have been shambolical in those games. Even our 2 draws we were lucky not to be on the sore end of a drubbing.

Rangers fans will be happy with second and a few old firm wins. Going into Gerard’s second season though we will be exoecting a cup.

(Sorry if my grammar is not on point, I’ve had a few too many beers and it’s late)

Reactions: esmufc07

Deleted member 101472

john terry is 6/1 to be his first signing.

Just when you thought it wasn't possible to hate a club any more...

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
This has condemned Gerrard before his career has even started.

Taking control of Rangers is such a poisoned chalice - they are miles behind Celtic and its not only the quality they lack, it's the actual running of the club. It's so backhanded and dodgy, they've gone bust multiple times in the past decade.

I'm not going to sit and hope he ballses this up, Liverpool player aside, I don't think he deserves that. However, the decision to take control of Rangers? Only going to end in tears I'm afraid.

extincti fugax hominum

What are the credentials of Stevie Me to take the manager's seat ? I'm really curious about that. Does he have any tactical knowledge or anything? Comical appointment.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What are the credentials of Stevie Me to take the manager's seat ? I'm really curious about that. Does he have any tactical knowledge or anything? Comical appointment.
I suspect he picked up a few things over the two decades he played at the highest level and while completing all his coaching licenses.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I don’t understand why people are bothered if there are any good English managers in the game. Who cares what nationality they are.

Wanting Gerrard to succeed at anything as a United fan is ridiculous, who cares if he was born in the same country as you. Makes no sense.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Poisoned chalice and not sure how much Gary Mac knows about the Scottish game nowadays to be honest. Would be a shrewd move getting a coach in (to aid them) with know how up here as that’s very important. But he’s up against it as financially Rangers are toiling big time and chairman (Dave King) is coming over as a bit of a Walter Mitty character. Tough job and wouldn’t surprise me if he last less than a season.

Revaulx

Bet they all said that when souness took over too. He may not work out but sometimes you have to take a chance. Besides rangers are not working from a position of power so a it’s not like they have a load of top class managers beating down their door. Gerrard MAY surprise a few. He will want to prove himself as he’s got eyes on Klopps job
Not at all. Scottish ex-Liverpool players were all the rage following Dalglish’s successful appointment as player-manager of Liverpool a year or two before. That appointment certainly raised eyebrows, but since Liverpool were such an unstoppable machine, people assumed the board knew what they were doing.
Plus Souness walked into a club that was awash with money, and bought his way to success. Slippy won’t have that advantage.

ZAGREB RED

john terry is 6/1 to be his first signing.

Just when you thought it wasn't possible to hate a club any more...
Probably just wants another boyhood Celtic fan in there to keep him company perhaps...

extincti fugax hominum

I suspect he picked up a few things over the two decades he played at the highest level and while completing all his coaching licenses.
From his managers, only Rafa was good at tactical side of the game so i highly doubt that is enough to be a good tactician. He won't need to be one in the Scottish League though.

Deleted member 101472

Hilarious. Their 4 top transfer targets at the moment are;

Ings
Solanke (who will apparently score goals for fun in Scotland)
skrtel
Torres

One of their fans even made a thread about whether dirk kuyt could still do a job before he had it pointed out to him that he was retired.

The wages of those 4 players combined would bankrupt this club by the end of the season.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Ings
skrtel
Torres

One of their fans even made a thread about whether dirk kuyt could still do a job before he had it pointed out to him that he was retired.

The wages of those 4 players combined would bankrupt this club by the end of the season.
Any of those players would be more than enough for the SPL, to be frank. But you cannot make shortcuts in the path to recover the club. And let's hope that if Rangers go again in the portuguese market they actually hire players that have potential and not the outcasts they hired last season.

Classical Mechanic

Think Solanke would be great in Scotland, hugely talented player. Ings is at least as good as the likes of Scott Sinclair too. Could be realistic loan options as Liverpool will help Stevie G out. The likes of Woodburn and Brewster could be options too.

Deleted member 101472

I think we’ll finally see a bit of financial muscle flexing from Celtic. They are in a different stratosphere in terms of spending power, if only the board finally put their hands in their pocket.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Ings
skrtel
Torres

Most of that is media driven to be fair. It's heaven for the press up here as they can run stories for the next three months with the same format:

"Gerrard targets [insert 30-something ex-colleague from Liverpool or England]"

That said, based on what I saw in the Scotland - Slovakia game in October, Skrtel was the best defender on the pitch by some distance and would be a huge improvement on what we've got.

Deleted member 101472

Most of that is media driven to be fair. It's heaven for the press up here as they can run stories for the next three months with the same format:

"Gerrard targets [insert 30-something ex-colleague from Liverpool or England]"

That said, based on what I saw in the Scotland - Slovakia game in October, Skrtel was the best defender on the pitch by some distance and would be a huge improvement on what we've got.
He seems like the most nailed on signing, would need someone quick beside him though.

Who do you think Gerrard will keep?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He seems like the most nailed on signing, would need someone quick beside him though.

Who do you think Gerrard will keep?
True. Realistically he isn't going to get rid of the entire squad, nor will he have the budget to do so, but I can see a few casualties. At the back, possibly Russel Martin, maybe Bruno Alves although I'd maintain he's our best defender, Cardoso will be lucky to survive. Tavernier and Wallace should be okay. I can see him ripping the arse out of the midfield though - Halliday, Holt, Dalcio, O'Halloran, Pena all bound to go. Herrera too. That would leave us Candeias, Dorrans, Jack, Windass in midfield which is a solid base and will be good enough with one or two good additions. Think Cummings and Morelos up top should be fine, but it depends on who Gerrard can attract. He might hang onto Miller just for staunchness but he's basically done at this level.

Classical Mechanic

I think the Solanke signing is a real possibility. It would good for all involved. Ings will take his place as Liverpool's backup striker. Woodburn could happen too, seems a good level for him at this stage of his career.

Those two would be really good for Rangers I think.

Deleted member 101472

True. Realistically he isn't going to get rid of the entire squad, nor will he have the budget to do so, but I can see a few casualties. At the back, possibly Russel Martin, maybe Bruno Alves although I'd maintain he's our best defender, Cardoso will be lucky to survive. Tavernier and Wallace should be okay. I can see him ripping the arse out of the midfield though - Halliday, Holt, Dalcio, O'Halloran, Pena all bound to go. Herrera too. That would leave us Candeias, Dorrans, Jack, Windass in midfield which is a solid base and will be good enough with one or two good additions. Think Cummings and Morelos up top should be fine, but it depends on who Gerrard can attract. He might hang onto Miller just for staunchness but he's basically done at this level.
Surely miller is done. I know there were rumours about him having squandered a lot of his money so seems like he is prolonging his playing days to collect as much of a salary as possible, he doesn’t have the voice for media so he’s definitely not landing a job there. He really, really is done though.

I’d expect Someone like tavernier to benefit from Gerrard, I think SPL is his level but he can undoubtedly be the best right back in the league and I’d take him over that accident waiting to happen lustig any day. A CB pairing of Alves and skrtel will see an a fair few of the teams with quicker strikers licking their lips, back in the day that’s a great pairing but not now.

It would be great for the league if it becomes ultra competitive, so part of me hopes Gerrard doesn’t go for the loaning young players from Liverpool approach, as they will be in for an absolute shock when they come up against tried and tested SPL level players. All the technique in the world won’t get you far enough in this league.