Steven Gerrard | Rangers Manager

Deleted member 101472

I think the Solanke signing is a real possibility. It would good for all involved. Ings will take his place as Liverpool's backup striker. Woodburn could happen too, seems a good level for him at this stage of his career.

Those two would be really good for Rangers I think.
They should be able to get solanke but I couldn’t see him going for less money than he’s on now which I believe in line with Liverpool’s policy Keeps him on under 20,000 a week. Would probably have to be a 50/50 wage split which given Gerrards influence shouldn’t be an issue. If he came up with the attitude that he had to prove himself, he’ll be fine but if he arrives in the league thinking it’ll be easy for him he’ll be benched before Christmas.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It would be great for the league if it becomes ultra competitive, so part of me hopes Gerrard doesn’t go for the loaning young players from Liverpool approach, as they will be in for an absolute shock when they come up against tried and tested SPL level players. All the technique in the world won’t get you far enough in this league.
Yeah that's an area people won't appreciate down south. Plenty of players not at their physical peak have came to the league and really struggled in midfield, because if the opposition turn the game into a high-pressure, second-ball box-to-box affair, the kids and the oldies can't cope.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I’d expect Someone like tavernier to benefit from Gerrard, I think SPL is his level but he can undoubtedly be the best right back in the league and I’d take him over that accident waiting to happen lustig any day. A CB pairing of Alves and skrtel will see an a fair few of the teams with quicker strikers licking their lips, back in the day that’s a great pairing but not now.
Agree on Tavernier. A frustrating player but has a lot of the tools to dominate his flank more regularly than he does. Important that Gerrard sorts out the centre-halves, they were atrocious against Celtic recently. McRorie is better in midfield and Bates is off so he needs to get some reliable quality in there which is capable of playing high up the park.

Deleted member 101472

Agree on Tavernier. A frustrating player but has a lot of the tools to dominate his flank more regularly than he does. Important that Gerrard sorts out the centre-halves, they were atrocious against Celtic recently. McRorie is better in midfield and Bates is off so he needs to get some reliable quality in there which is capable of playing high up the park.
Wasn’t mccrorie really good at CB when he first broke through? Any idea where he played in the youth teams?

Classical Mechanic

They should be able to get solanke but I couldn’t see him going for less money than he’s on now which I believe in line with Liverpool’s policy Keeps him on under 20,000 a week. Would probably have to be a 50/50 wage split which given Gerrards influence shouldn’t be an issue. If he came up with the attitude that he had to prove himself, he’ll be fine but if he arrives in the league thinking it’ll be easy for him he’ll be benched before Christmas.
He's not known to be a poor attitude player. His achievements at youth level are as good as it gets. He scored a bucket load, won everything at club level, youth European Champions and World Cups at international level. He was awarded best player at the U20 World Cup. He did OK as a 17 year old in the Erdivisie but then had a lost year at Chelsea, he was frozen out for not signing a new contract. Liverpool hasn't worked out for him admittedly but they have an awesome and fluid attack. He is more of a traditional number 9, good in the air etc but is a good dribbler. I don't think he suits Klopp's system. He's still only 20 so he can kick on. I think the Scottish league would be a decent opportunity for him to build up his confidence again and he is likely to start for them which is what he needs.

Mindhunter

Overall, I think this is a positive appointment from the Rangers board. After years of being in Celtic's shadow, they have finally appointed a manager who can immediately improve their style of play and make them more competitive.

Gerrard will definitely get them to play more stylish football, and make them a bit more selfish and effective. Also, standards will be higher and slipping down the table won't be acceptable. I believe that he will be able to stamp his authority on the league by December. Haha

Deleted member 101472

Overall, I think this is a positive appointment from the Rangers board. After years of being in Celtic's shadow, they have finally appointed a manager who can immediately improve their style of play and make them more competitive.

Gerrard will definitely get them to play more stylish football, and make them a bit more selfish and effective. Also, standards will be higher and slipping down the table won't be acceptable. I believe that he will be able to stamp his authority on the league by December. Haha
You almost had me :lol:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Clearly you don’t know rangers fans. Or are assuming that rangers are the only club with dillusioanal supporters. I’m a life long rangers fan(united have always been my second club). No logical fan expects rangers to win the league. But a challenge to Celtic in terms of old firms is a must. At least learn from mistakes. murty, who I sympathise with was incabale of making adjustments. And conceded two heavy defeats in a row. Rangers had a far better squad of players than Celtic during the 90s and early 00s . Yet Celtic still competed and on occasions bettered us in old firm matches.

Celtic are a far better run club ran rangers and have a fantastic manager. But that should all go out the window during old firm matches. Yet since Rodgers took over we have been shambolical in those games. Even our 2 draws we were lucky not to be on the sore end of a drubbing.

Rangers fans will be happy with second and a few old firm wins. Going into Gerard’s second season though we will be exoecting a cup.

(Sorry if my grammar is not on point, I’ve had a few too many beers and it’s late)

As a portuguese i feel I have to apologize for you guys having to stand with Pedro Caixinha :yawn:

But being honest, with so many good portuguese managers, you guys just made an appointment that looked totally random.

And those strange deals: with so many potential players in the portuguese league, you guys picked an outcast like Candeias and two playesr who were featuring in Benfica B / loaned and weren't even top prospects, like Dálcio and Fábio Cardozo.

Alfredo Morelos was a nice deal, the kid got talent, but he needs time to mature.

The important thing is the board cannot try to make shortcuts like they did this season: Bruno Alves WAS a wolrd class center back years ago, it was not the best idea to hire a 36 yo center back and a 29 yo average mexican player when you need to rebuild in long term.

MUFC OK

Think Solanke would be great in Scotland, hugely talented player. Ings is at least as good as the likes of Scott Sinclair too. Could be realistic loan options as Liverpool will help Stevie G out. The likes of Woodburn and Brewster could be options too.
I would rebut that by pointing to the fact that he's goalless in 26 apps for Liverpool, playing in a team that creates chances for fun and plays attacking football. If that was a first teamer at United they would be getting laughed at.

He scored goals at youth level so perhaps he can make an impression in Scotland. A striker with that kind of record at senior level is not down to bad luck alone.

Classical Mechanic

I would rebut that by pointing to the fact that he's goalless in 26 apps for Liverpool, playing in a team that creates chances for fun and plays attacking football. If that was a first teamer at United they would be getting laughed at.

He scored goals at youth level so perhaps he can make an impression in Scotland. A striker with that kind of record at senior level is not down to bad luck alone.
He's started 5 games for Liverpool and played 90 mins 3 times. He has averaged about 24 minutes per appearance for them.

He did OK in a better league than the Scottish league when he was 17.

MUFC OK

He's started 5 games for Liverpool and played 90 mins 3 times. He has averaged about 24 minutes per appearance for them.

True, his actual minutes have been limited, but he's either not ready or not good enough.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

And not even a single goal or at least a piece of skill to show? Yes, he's being used for rotation purposes, but let me add this:

Gonçalo Guedes at Benfica was mainly used as a rotation young player until the season he left for PSG (he made a great season at Valencia this year, btw), but whenever he came on you could see that there was something, either by goals, drible or a smart movement.

Other example: Gelson Martins first season he was most of his time at the bench, but whenever he came on you could see there was sometinhg there.

Same can't be said about Solanke. He shows too little.

Classical Mechanic

True, his actual minutes have been limited, but he's either not ready or not good enough.
I'm not saying he will kick on as many don't but he doesn't suit Klopp's system. He is more of a tradional number 9, nothing like Firmino, although he is a decent dribbler. As I mentioned earlier in the thread he lost a year at Chelsea due to refusing a new contract. I think a loan to Rangers will be a good opportunity for him to build up his confidence again.

And not even a single goal or at least a piece of skill to show? Yes, he's being used for rotation purposes, but let me add this:

Gonçalo Guedes at Benfica was mainly used as a rotation young player until the season he left for PSG (he made a great season at Valencia this year, btw), but whenever he came on you could see that there was something, either by goals, drible or a smart movement.

Other example: Gelson Martins first season he was most of his time at the bench, but whenever he came on you could see there was sometinhg there.

Same can't be said about Solanke. He shows too little.
That doesn't mean anything. I heard a manager from a lower league side on the radio saying how one of Cardiff's best players that helped them get promoted to the PL showed very little at a much lower level and they let him go. His point was that predicting how players will develop is very difficult as a multitude of factors can affect how players perform at a given time.

Most people though Harry Kane and Frank Lampard were crap when they were 20.

Last edited:

Deleted member 101472

I'm not saying he will kick on as many don't but he doesn't suit Klopp's system. He is more of a tradional number 9, nothing like Firmino, although he is a decent dribbler. As I mentioned earlier in the thread he lost a year at Chelsea due to refusing a new contract. I think a loan to Rangers will be a good opportunity for him to build up his confidence again.
I think a loan to rangers will be detriment to anyone’s confidence. A club in turmoil with a coach who had an average spell in charge of an under 18 side and no other managerial experience. He’ll also have to pay for his food in the cafeteria, and wash his own kit.

Classical Mechanic

I think a loan to rangers will be detriment to anyone’s confidence. A club in turmoil with a coach who had an average spell in charge of an under 18 side and no other managerial experience. He’ll also have to pay for his food in the cafeteria, and wash his own kit.
Somehow I don't think I will get an objective opinion on Rangers from you!

Chipper

Adulterer.
Most of that is media driven to be fair. It's heaven for the press up here as they can run stories for the next three months with the same format:

"Gerrard targets [insert 30-something ex-colleague from Liverpool or England]"
And as if by magic the topic of conversation on Talksport this morning was "might Gerrard want Rooney/would Rooney go there"

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

That doesn't mean anything. I heard a manager from a lower league side on the radio saying how one of Cardiff's best players that helped them get promoted to the PL showed very little at a much lower level and they let him go. His point was that predicting how players will develop is very difficult as a multitude of factors can affect how players perform at a given time.

Most people though Harry Kane and Frank Lampard were crap when they were 20.
This is also very true, I agree. Ricardo Carvalho was being loaned every year until he turned 24 and was almost released by Porto.
Pepe was crap at Sporting and was released during the pre-season to Martimo and Bruno Alves was almost sold by pennies after a terrible season as a starter at Porto.

In the end we can only speculate tbh. Quaresma and Paím were much better than Ronaldo back then :D

TheRedScot

In Any Fight It’s The Guy Whose Willing To Die Who
As a portuguese i feel I have to apologize for you guys having to stand with Pedro Caixinha :yawn:

But being honest, with so many good portuguese managers, you guys just made an appointment that looked totally random.

And those strange deals: with so many potential players in the portuguese league, you guys picked an outcast like Candeias and two playesr who were featuring in Benfica B / loaned and weren't even top prospects, like Dálcio and Fábio Cardozo.

Alfredo Morelos was a nice deal, the kid got talent, but he needs time to mature.

The important thing is the board cannot try to make shortcuts like they did this season: Bruno Alves WAS a wolrd class center back years ago, it was not the best idea to hire a 36 yo center back and a 29 yo average mexican player when you need to rebuild in long term.
I completely agree. Our whole club is a shambles from top to bottom. I didn't have much knowledge in Caixinha prior to his time with us. And i dont like to put all the blame on him as he inherited a terrible squad. But some of his signings were poor.

Candeias has done ok from time to time.

If Morelos Can improve his conversion rate then i think he would be great, seems a strong lad and is a handful for his age. The main thing with Caixinha though was comments to the media. He came Away with some Weird comments almost on a weekly basis. I dont know if it was a translation problem but he really didnt cover himself in glory.

Im happy with the Gerrard appointment. at the very least it means there must be some funds available. I dont see him coming unless he has been guaranteed funds.

Whether Gerrard is Tactically good enough, Well i suppose time will tell.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I completely agree. Our whole club is a shambles from top to bottom. I didn't have much knowledge in Caixinha prior to his time with us. And i dont like to put all the blame on him as he inherited a terrible squad. But some of his signings were poor.

Candeias has done ok from time to time.

If Morelos Can improve his conversion rate then i think he would be great, seems a strong lad and is a handful for his age. The main thing with Caixinha though was comments to the media. He came Away with some Weird comments almost on a weekly basis. I dont know if it was a translation problem but he really didnt cover himself in glory.

Im happy with the Gerrard appointment. at the very least it means there must be some funds available. I dont see him coming unless he has been guaranteed funds.

Whether Gerrard is Tactically good enough, Well i suppose time will tell.
I'm gonna say something a bit "scandalous": tactics are overrated in top flight football. Managers are mainly motivators, and they have to "impose" an idea or a philosophy. They just need the talent to assemble a solid staff.

The training methods are quite similar in most of the clubs: they all learn in the same places. The big difference is finding someone who can transform theorical knowledge into pratical results, someone who can assemble all the knowledge learned and make it work on the training field.

And off course, quoting Arrigo Sachi:
"The best tactic is to have quality players in the squad. Withouth quality, not a single tactic will save you from defeat".

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think we’ll finally see a bit of financial muscle flexing from Celtic. They are in a different stratosphere in terms of spending power, if only the board finally put their hands in their pocket.
Sure if they do it’ll be a first. Even when they’ve sold big they haven’t. Let’s face it they runaway with the league despite having very few ‘good premier league’ standard. Rangers need to spend a lot to catch-up so the only reason Celtic will spend is to try and progress in Europe

golden_blunder

Staff
True. Realistically he isn't going to get rid of the entire squad, nor will he have the budget to do so, but I can see a few casualties. At the back, possibly Russel Martin, maybe Bruno Alves although I'd maintain he's our best defender, Cardoso will be lucky to survive. Tavernier and Wallace should be okay. I can see him ripping the arse out of the midfield though - Halliday, Holt, Dalcio, O'Halloran, Pena all bound to go. Herrera too. That would leave us Candeias, Dorrans, Jack, Windass in midfield which is a solid base and will be good enough with one or two good additions. Think Cummings and Morelos up top should be fine, but it depends on who Gerrard can attract. He might hang onto Miller just for staunchness but he's basically done at this level.
Arnfield is a done deal so he’ll be incoming for the midfield. Rumour of McArthur too but I’ll beleive that when I see it

Defoe allegedly talking himself into a move too. It’s all a bit short-termism but if they can get back into Europe and money coming back in which can lead to more investment

All hinges on SG’s actual ability to manage but it’s looking hopeful at least that he might attract a bit more to rangers and in doing so a bit more badly needed interest in the SPL

ZAGREB RED

Tbf get Kuyt out of retirement and he'd probably be Rangers' best player.
That's not saying much, they are dire. Not one of their current squad would get on Celtic's bench just now. Windass maybe, or Tavernier but that's about it.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Unless serious investment is announced for Rangers then Stevie G is going to have to perform miracles for them to catch Celtic. If the league winner is the obvious standard bearer then I can't think of one Rangers player who would make Celtic's first 11. Indeed most of Celtic's surplus players are better than the Ranger's 1st 11 quality. They are years behind Celtic without an investment of 20-30m in the playing staff. If you read Followfollow the Rangers fans are using the logic of if we won our home games we'd be 7 points behind Celtic. Statistically yes but on the park they might as well be 50 points behind Rangers.
I expect the arrival of Stevie will give Rodgers ammo to say his board we need to up the investment in the playing staff to stay ahead. Indeed worse case scenario he could raise 40m by selling Tierney and Dembele.

Teja

Fair play to Stevie G for taking this job and I think it will be a win-win for him. If he does well, given Celtic's dominance of the league, he will be hailed as a messiah and if he doesn't, as long as he doesn't screw up too horribly, people will still give him the benefit of doubt because Rangers are a bit shit.

I think more ex-pros from the EPL should take a chance in "lesser" leagues - French, German, Italian footy come to mind. The very idea of Ryan Giggs taking over Udinese for example feels really alien and I don't see why it should be such an outlandish idea. Noone's going to bat an eyelid if the Stoke job is offered to (just making up names now) Maldini for instance. If nothing else, it will atleast bring some diversity of footballing thought back into England.

golden_blunder

Staff
Looking through the list of players who will be available for free transfers in the summer, if they play their cards right and invest the money in salary rather than fees they could have a few players who would tear up the SPL..

Fellaini - the new big Dunc/mark Hately
Ballotelli - mad enough to do it, cracking them in so why not Scotland next to work with his pal?
Subotic - once highly regarded now not even a sub at Dortmund
Yaya Toure - apparently both Glasgow clubs want him

Deleted member 101472

Looking through the list of players who will be available for free transfers in the summer, if they play their cards right and invest the money in salary rather than fees they could have a few players who would tear up the SPL..

Ballotelli - mad enough to do it, cracking them in so why not Scotland next to work with his pal?
You’re just listing players available on a free, not players who would actually contemplate joining them, right? Please say yes.

Eire Red United

James McClean will probably end up at Celtic if they cough up the dough this summer.

Deleted member 101472

Wages aside why not? They’d be playing in front of 50000 fans every week
No every two weeks. Every other week it’s less than half that.

How many of those players do you think will take 20-30k a week? Their situation is so, so dire.

golden_blunder

Staff
No every two weeks. Every other week it’s less than half that.

How many of those players do you think will take 20-30k a week? Their situation is so, so dire.
Tbh I’m only semi serious. I read an interview with King who said he hoped to raise €16m, and that 6-8m of that would be invested in the club again, think he was hinting at players. So I don’t think rangers will be buying a load of players for millions but if their smart they could pick up a few freebies (as could Celtic of course). Or a few cheapie players or loans.

Depends how Gerrard and McAllister perceive the best way forward - personally I think a bunch of loans is obviously cheapest but not the most effective.

Btw I reckon Kenny miller will end in MLS, China, Indian league or Australia

Deleted member 101472

Tbh I’m only semi serious. I read an interview with King who said he hoped to raise €16m, and that 6-8m of that would be invested in the club again, think he was hinting at players. So I don’t think rangers will be buying a load of players for millions but if their smart they could pick up a few freebies (as could Celtic of course). Or a few cheapie players or loans.

Depends how Gerrard and McAllister perceive the best way forward - personally I think a bunch of loans is obviously cheapest but not the most effective.

Btw I reckon Kenny miller will end in MLS, China, Indian league or Australia
Miller already gave the MLS a shot, he was very underwhelming with Vancouver whitecaps.

The truth of the situation is no one really knows what will be made available to Gerrard. What’s absolutely certain is that the situation has been embellished to make it look like there’s going to be investment in the squad. There is absolutely no way-unless Gerrard has low standards and expectations- that he’ll be backed with as much money as he thought he would be. They are surviving right now on a quarterly basis off interest free loans from the directors. If this experiment fails, it’ll be the final nail in the coffin for them, and they’ll die for good. If it goes well, they’ll get more investment and work their way back to competing for trophies on a regular basis.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
How has Sean Goss been doing for Rangers?
Flashes of quality. Nice touch and delivery. Midfield got over-run a lot towards the end of the season and I don't think he helped matters much. I like him though - would have preferred to see him with better players in the centre of the park and a defence that can hold a higher line.

golden_blunder

Staff
@Gio what are you making of the signings made so far? 6 in despite being skint is pretty good so far. They need at least one goal scorer though to challenge