Rangnick - "Apart from goalkeeping we need to improve all areas of our squad" | Muppets amass

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Bang on. In fact, the Maguire signing is pretty much mostly on the fans. They were the ones who were crying about Jose not being backed, when the board correctly refused to sanction that signing in summer 2018.

When Ole went after him again they were put in an almost impossible situation with our idiots constantly wailing 'back the manager'
The funny thing is, a lot of the fans who criticised the club for not backing Mourinho in 2018, are the same fans who are loudest in their criticism towards Maguire. And what's even funnier is that they're completely oblivious to the irony of their ways.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Is that easy to do when you literally have idiots turning up outside your home to attack you?

https://talksport.com/football/662229/ed-woodward-house-attack-police-manchester-united-flares/

At the highest level our leadership isn't ruthless enough unfortunately. The likes of Perez throw managers under the bus to cover their own backs, but it actually works out okay for the club. Our board doesn't do that, and it makes them a direct target from the media and the fanbase which is why they're so easy to sway.
:lol:

It took years of him fecking up before those jokers went to attack his house. Stop making up excuses for Woodward's general uselessness.

hobbers

It’s not number one priority but I’d have it far above another CB.
Which is where you're wrong. Because Maguire is orders of magnitude a bigger problem than De Gea. As a defensive unit we are far more hamstrung by Maguire, and forced to sit deeper because of Maguire. Not because of De Gea.

What all the stats show is that keepers who play in teams with high defensive lines have a lot of involvement with the ball and make a lot of passes etc. Keepers who play in teams that sit deep have a lot fewer. That's because of the system not the goalkeeper.

Keepers who play for crappy low block teams have the most involvements in coming for crosses. Again, because of the system not the keeper. Nick Pope might have come for more crosses than any other keeper in the league over the last 3 or 4 seasons but that doesn't mean he's the best at it, he just plays for a team that is very comfortable sitting on its own six yard line.

We can't play a high line until we replace Maguire, regardless of who is in goal. Maybe once we've done that it will become evident De Gea can't play in that system either, and that's the point we'll have to change him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I hope he means more than 3/4 this summer given the amount that will be leaving with contracts expiring

crossy1686

career ending
I hope he means more than 3/4 this summer given the amount that will be leaving with contracts expiring
He said 3 players won't do it if United are looking to compete any time soon, especially when you look at those who are leaving and will be sold. He also said with the right recruitment a club like United are only 3 windows (not seasons) away from being in a great position as long as they recruit the right players for the club.

bucky

Some are going to have a shock when De Gea eventually leaves and we struggle for years to get a competent replacement. They'll be wishing we had someone as 'bad' as De Gea :lol:
People have simply got used to his level of shot stopping and think it'll be easy to replicate with someone that also offers 'modern' keeper abilities.

Finding competent keepers is tough it amazes me united fans don't remember this. It stems from people overexcited by Henderson, once you get excited by a youth player it's all too easy to be overly harsh on their seniors.
We've already seen what it looks like, when we have someone as bad as de Gea. It started with Mourinho's final season and continued during Ole's 2 full seasons. I'm not even going to comment about his complete reluctance to come off his line or how his passing has gotten worse over the years. Purely from a shot-stopping persepective, he's had 3 bad to average seasons following his unreal season in 2017/18, which wasn't sustainable. This season, he's having another shot-stopping season that isn't sustainable, as he himself has shown.

He's gone all in- two footed- to the board
These quotes are perplexing from a certain point of view. I'm constantly reading, how we now have structure in place that has a clear idea, how we want to play. Which is supposed to help the new manager and should we transition from one manager to another, so that a managerial change isn't that much of an issue as it used to be. On top of that, it's supposed to relieve responsibility from the manager by delegating certain tasks like the recruitment, for example. And yet, particularly the first tweet/quote reads like Rangnick doesn't think it has changed all that much, at least not yet. Furthermore, and I'll probably sound like a salty muppet here, but if we actually do have that structure in place, irrespective of who the new manager was/is going to be, then why weren't we in for Bruno Guimarães? The whole point, among other things, of Murtough and his team is supposed to be to bring in players that fit a certain style of football that we are trying to play with the hiring of ten Hag. Moreoever as Rangnick says in the third tweet, certain players are suited to different styles of football, so regardless whether we hired Conte or ten Hag, Bruno Guimarães would have worked for either, since he has range of qualities/attributes that both managers despite their different styles could use. Which then leads me to question, how good our set-up behind the scenes actually is, if they can't make the most obvious signing.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Which is where you're wrong. Because Maguire is orders of magnitude a bigger problem than De Gea. As a defensive unit we are far more hamstrung by Maguire, and forced to sit deeper because of Maguire. Not because of De Gea.

What all the stats show is that keepers who play in teams with high defensive lines have a lot of involvement with the ball and make a lot of passes etc. Keepers who play in teams that sit deep have a lot fewer. That's because of the system not the goalkeeper.

Keepers who play for crappy low block teams have the most involvements in coming for crosses. Again, because of the system not the keeper. Nick Pope might have come for more crosses than any other keeper in the league over the last 3 or 4 seasons but that doesn't mean he's the best at it, he just plays for a team that is very comfortable sitting on its own six yard line.

We can't play a high line until we replace Maguire, regardless of who is in goal. Maybe once we've done that it will become evident De Gea can't play in that system either, and that's the point we'll have to change him.
But you’re completely contradicting yourself. If we play a low block (which we don’t btw) then De Gea should be top on crosses claimed. He’s nowhere near because he’s rooted to his line regardless of system. Again Maguire on top form isn’t a problem.

Cathy Ferguson

Very obvious if you watch our games.

The issue is to identify which players to buy, which is something Liverpool are extremely good at and we are very poor at.

If you pay huge amounts for Maguire, Pogba, Sancho, AWB and Donny you would expect to get world class players who can perform well in several tactical systems, not just in one system which is optimal for one or two players with no overlap with the rest of the squad.

In 3-4 years I hope that all of the present starting XI have been replaced, Varane and Bruno might be the exceptions. We cannot afford to do it faster.

The board, Ole and our scouts have made an amazing number of mistake for a very very long time.

JB7

Yes, those pesky crappy low block teams like Brighton, Wolves, Arsenal, Leeds, Liverpool, Chelsea & City. All teams definitely not lauded for playing high lines or expansive football.

Gordon Godot

We can't play a high line until we replace Maguire, regardless of who is in goal. Maybe once we've done that and it becomes evident De Gea can't play in that system either, and that's the point we'll have to change him.
De Gea is not the right fit for a top team, and I doubt we win a major trophy with him in goal. Its not just about dealign with crosses, which he is still terrible at, but his inability to sweep or distribute. Watched Brentford recently and when they are in the opponents half, the goalie is outside his box pretty much the whole time. He sometimes sweeps as far up as the edge of the centre circle. Like many modern keepers he also helps them play out of a high press.

But as other say, our CBs are the priority. Jones has been stealing money for years, Bailly is calamity on ice, Lindelof was timid in his debut match and still is, simply not suited to the Premier League, while Maguire is as far from a truly top defender as you can imagine.

mu4c_20le

A moment of silence for the De Gea haters. Always makes me laugh when people put Ronaldo and DDG on top of their lists of players to get rid. Because that's how you start a rebuild... by removing your two best players.

Sweet Square

Ralf - I need help! It’s all too much, we need a 100 man team of back room staff. I can’t do it! Klopp gets all his extra help, it’s not fair!

Fergie - Phelan go get the cones. We are going to win the league with alexander buttner.

Bring back tradition.

crossy1686

career ending
We've already seen what it looks like, when we have someone as bad as de Gea. It started with Mourinho's final season and continued during Ole's 2 full seasons. I'm not even going to comment about his complete reluctance to come off his line or how his passing has gotten worse over the years. Purely from a shot-stopping persepective, he's had 3 bad to average seasons following his unreal season in 2017/18, which wasn't sustainable. This season, he's having another shot-stopping season that isn't sustainable, as he himself has shown.

These quotes are perplexing from a certain point of view. I'm constantly reading, how we now have structure in place that has a clear idea, how we want to play. Which is supposed to help the new manager and should we transition from one manager to another, so that a managerial change isn't that much of an issue as it used to be. On top of that, it's supposed to relieve responsibility from the manager by delegating certain tasks like the recruitment, for example. And yet, particularly the first tweet/quote reads like Rangnick doesn't think it has changed all that much, at least not yet. Furthermore, and I'll probably sound like a salty muppet here, but if we actually do have that structure in place, irrespective of who the new manager was/is going to be, then why weren't we in for Bruno Guimarães? The whole point, among other things, of Murtough and his team is supposed to be to bring in players that fit a certain style of football that we are trying to play with the hiring of ten Hag. Moreoever as Rangnick says in the third tweet, certain players are suited to different styles of football, so regardless whether we hired Conte or ten Hag, Bruno Guimarães would have worked for either, since he has range of qualities/attributes that both managers despite their different styles could use. Which then leads me to question, how good our set-up behind the scenes actually is, if they can't make the most obvious signing.
I think it's pretty clear form watching us and the team building we've done over the last few years our scouting department is phoning it in. They start with 50,000 players then recommend Haaland or Mbappe as a transfer target, I mean, get to feck and do your job properly. I'm fairly certain I could have done a decent job just by recommending players who get really good on Football Manager in a few years.

Rangnick himself said he asked the recruitment department what data they had on that young German lad breaking through and he didn't fit their 'criteria' apparently. Make from that what you will but they should be the first department that gets overhauled.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
US the fans have been saying this for a while, you would then wonder what those working at the club are smoking.
Its absolutely astonishing that this was not done post Jose and we just hired Ole and pretended we didn't need to do all the things we said we would.
Wasted 3 years

gajender

I think it's pretty clear form watching us and the team building we've done over the last few years our scouting department is phoning it in. They start with 50,000 players then recommend Haaland or Mbappe as a transfer target, I mean, get to feck and do your job properly. I'm fairly certain I could have done a decent job just by recommending players who get really good on Football Manager in a few years.

Rangnick himself said he asked the recruitment department what data they had on that young German lad breaking through and he didn't fit their 'criteria' apparently. Make from that what you will but they should be the first department that gets overhauled.
Did he really say that when please share the link .

Djemba-Djemba

Ralf - I need help! It’s all too much, we need a 100 man team of back room staff. I can’t do it! Klopp gets all his extra help, it’s not fair!

Fergie - Phelan go get the cones. We are going to win the league with alexander buttner.

Bring back tradition.
The constant harping back to Fergie is probably one of the reasons we're in such a mess.

We're a club massively behind the times, Fergie left 9 years ago. We have to fecking move on and modernise.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It’s not number one priority but I’d have it far above another CB.
Depends on outgoings really. Both Bailly and Jones seem to want out, which would leave the squad with just three CBs. Two of them have had their injury issues this season and the third is Maguire, who has been in woeful form.

Depending on how chips fall, that's more of a problem than GK where we at least know DDG will be here, will almost certainly be fit to play, has at least been in good form in terms of what he's actually good at and will have some sort of cover available on the bench.

lex talionis

It's hard to imagine a more ridiculous argument than banishing De Gea as the starting point for the squad rebuild. We have higher priorities. Allow me to list them:

RB
CB
CB
LB
CDM
CAM
RW
B2B
CF

I'm comfortable with Sancho at LW so no need to address that any time soon. But we clearly have a problem at each position on the back line, we clearly have problems across the board in midfield, and we clearly need to upgrade at RW and provide support for Ronaldo at CF. Ditching our best player this season, and undeniably the top shot-stopper on the planet wouldn't exactly be shrewd management.

Down the road, as Dave declines, of course we'll need to upgrade on him. If there's an outstanding young keeper who's mentally prepared to be Dave's backup for a season or two let's bring him in, but if anyone is seriously suggesting Henderson as the answer right now -- not sure about recent posts here, but not that long ago he was bigged up as superior to Dave -- that person needs to have a word with himself.

Dave has weaknesses to his game, as do most other keepers. But Dave isn't responsible for Maguire's poor performances the last two seasons, nor AWB's and neither Shaw's strangely poor season after a brilliant run last season. Dave isn't responsible for the poor performances of our "defensive midfielders" either.

hobbers

But you’re completely contradicting yourself. If we play a low block (which we don’t btw) then De Gea should be top on crosses claimed. He’s nowhere near because he’s rooted to his line regardless of system. Again Maguire on top form isn’t a problem.
I never said we played a low block. I said we have to play deeper than we should have to, and that it's because of Maguire (also partly because of the inadequacies of Lindelof and AWB) and has nothing to do with De Gea.

De Gea is poor at coming for crosses, we dont need stats to see that. The point is that the stats in general tell you less about keepers and more about the systems they play in.

Even on the absolute tippest toppest form Maguire cant play in a high line. He's too slow physically, too slow mentally, too flat footed.

L1nk

So basically nothing usual BS by Odgen and you not only bought it but embellished it further .
"Usual bs by Ogden." Until he was the one to break the story that we were going for Ten Hag which was then followed by every other reliable journalist. Journalists can be unrelieable but you just pick and choose what stories you deem BS or not

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We can hope but i'm not expecting any different just because he's left and his mate has taken up the reigns.
I actually am expecting different. The penny has dropped that if we decline beyond a certain point then the cash stops coming in and the resale value goes down the toilet. The parasite business model has reached its logical conclusion.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
A moment of silence for the De Gea haters. Always makes me laugh when people put Ronaldo and DDG on top of their lists of players to get rid. Because that's how you start a rebuild... by removing your two best players.
Did you read all Ralf's quotes or just the headline? He basically said De Gea was great for him, but if the new manager wants a more modern style keeper then a new goalkeeper will also need to be signed.

We need so much that it wouldn't surprise me if De Gea is still #1 next season. I would be massively, MASSIVELY, surprised if he's still #1 the following season.

bucky

I commented in the Nkunku thread that I don't really believe that report by Ogden. Mostly because Ogden hasn't had a clue in years and Nkunku is too obvious of a target to not have information on. I still like to believe that things actually have changed with the hiring of ten Hag and us not going for Conte. It's also not clear what our scouting department and analysts have recommended, without having seen the final lists they gave the previous managers. Basically I'm wondering how good the people are, that are going to work with ten Hag.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I never said we played a low block. I said we have to play deeper than we should have to, and that it's because of Maguire (also partly because of the inadequacies of Lindelof and AWB) and has nothing to do with De Gea.

De Gea is poor at coming for crosses, we dont need stats to see that. The point is that the stats in general tell you less about keepers and more about the systems they play in.

Even on the absolute tippest toppest form Maguire cant play in a high line. He's too slow physically, too slow mentally, too flat footed.
See you blame the lack of high line on Maguire but I’ll blame it De Gea again. Personally thought we looked so much more solid with Hendo and he’s hardly spectacular but much better at every element of keeping aside from shot stopping. Maguire was part of that side and we definitely played a higher line than now.

Loon

:lol:
It’s nice to have these comments in the public domain where the owners cannot hide from it.

I guess the difference between Rangnick and Mourinho saying these things is Rangnick’s is objective and not self-serving.

crossy1686

career ending
I commented in the Nkunku thread that I don't really believe that report by Ogden. Mostly because Ogden hasn't had a clue in years and Nkunku is too obvious of a target to not have information on. I still like to believe that things actually have changed with the hiring of ten Hag and us not going for Conte. It's also not clear what our scouting department and analysts have recommended, without having seen the final lists they gave the previous managers. Basically I'm wondering how good the people are, that are going to work with ten Hag.
Well Ogden was the first to name Ten Hag, he get's more right than he get's wrong but people only remember the wrong one's for some reason. You look at our signings over the last few years and Nkunku doesn't fit our target demographic, I would bet we'd sign Neymar or Griezmann over him.

Mitten spoke about how United recruit, he said they have 3 targets and start negotiations for them all, then pull the trigger on one and let the other two down if the first choice comes through, and the manager get's final say. He said a good example is when we signed Rojo (I think it was him anyway), we had Michael Keane all but ready to put pen to paper and we cancelled the transfer for Rojo instead. So it's clear our scouting department is putting lists together but they don't know what style of play they're recruiting for so now they just recommend players like Cavani, Zlatan, Maguire etc.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Lets see if he gets a reaction today
From this lot :lol:

I fully expect them to all be personally offended and put in half a shift with zero self pride.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The full De Gea quotes:

Not quite the endorsement the snippet in the thread title suggests.

And crucially it's in response to a direct question about whether De Gea specifically is a problem, as opposed to the broader quotes which don't single out any individuals.

Acquire Me

Feel absolutely the same. Love his honesty and no bullshit ways. Average manager but I think he'll do some good work in the background.
I am not so sure he is an average manager. We really need to rebuild this football club. I am sure he would be very up for the task as a manager tbh.

That said, he has been working as a Football Director lately and it seems he fits that bill great.

Erik ten Hag, his people and Rangnick with current staff can be very good for us. I’m very excited.