Rangnick - "Apart from goalkeeping we need to improve all areas of our squad" | Muppets amass

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
When Mourinho said things like this he was toxic. When Rangnick says it he’s loved for it.
Problem was the way Mourinho wanted to play and the way the club would like to play was different. It just showed how clueless the club is.

Revaulx

That the squad wasn’t good enough? I’m pretty sure he did. Could be wrong though.
Oh well if he said that I would have agreed with him! Though I don’t think he had got any better ideas than LvG on how to actually improve it.

crossy1686

career ending
Maybe through fan logic, but from a business stand point it could be very damaging saying all your players are shit and need sold.
You can say whatever you want but unless you do it on the pitch no one is going to buy it anyway. The players have already devalued themselves at the top level, Ralf’s literally saying it as it is

RopersReturn

Rangnick was never going to be our long term manager, that was established from the very beginning and he's not been able to make any signings of his own. To add to it he's taken over a complete mismatch of a squad with horrendous attitudes for the most part from being treated like royalty by the previous guy.
You have to admit, Ralph’s proven to be the only adult in the room amongst our bickering squad of underachievers.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Well Ralf just threw absolutely everyone under the bus.

I dont really agree about the transfer part. Players were certainly bought to fill a role, outside of Ronaldo who was bought because he wanted to move. Players like Maguire and AWB were bought to fill spesific roles, and both players have failed to live up to expectations.

Lets see how this, if in any way, impacts the squad morale ahead of a "must-win" game aginst Liverpool.
It’s not just players fitting specific roles it’s players fitting specific systems in that role. For example we need a defensive mid so for example we could go out and buy Ndidi. What if however we had a possession manager like Ten Hag or Pep, while Ndidi is a decent player he wouldn’t be suitable to that system and tactic. For that reason it may make sense to go for a lessor player who just happens to have attributes that fit what we require.

Revaulx

When did he shit on Lukaku? He fecking loved Lukaku.

I’m not defending Mourinho, he went too far and sulked, actively looking to get sacked. What I’m saying is why is Rangnick revered for it? I think you’re being kind to Rangnick. He’s covering his own arse when he talks about missing the players from the West Ham game.
Why did he let Lukaku get so big and unfit?

JB7

Some people are just :houllier: DDG is clearly good enough to be part of a trophy winning team. I would not be surprised if some here think Ramsdale is better than him because some actually thought Henderson is better than De Gea which was very quickly proven to be a complete delusion.
Yeah, us having more clean sheets with Henderson in goal in 10 less appearances than De Gea really proved that one to be a "complete delusion". As did the fact we conceded 46 goals in De Gea's 36 appearances and only 22 in Henderson's 26 appearances. I'm not even a particularly big fan of Henderson but this notion that he blew his chance last season is ridiculous, he was rightly set to start the season as #1 this year due to his performances.
Name one keeper that you can sign, that you will replace DDG with?
Sa, Sanchez, Raya, that's without even looking outside of the Premier League at players like Maignan, Maximiano, Onana, Simon, Kobel, Cakir, the list goes on. Long story short, it isn't particularly difficult to replace a goalkeeper who excels in one area but is amongst the worst in the league in all other aspects of his role.
These comments are brilliant and you’ve picked up on this and turned it negatively.

The state on this place. Jesus fecking Christ.
Yeah there was literally one quote at that time which was the Romano one. The others came out after which made a lot more sense.

acnumber9

Why did he let Lukaku get so big and unfit?
No idea. I’m not saying Mourinho did a great job. He didn’t. He did a better job than any manager we’ve had since Fergie but it wasn’t enough and not really the topic of this thread.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
When did he shit on Lukaku? He fecking loved Lukaku.

I’m not defending Mourinho, he went too far and sulked, actively looking to get sacked. What I’m saying is why is Rangnick revered for it? I think you’re being kind to Rangnick. He’s covering his own arse when he talks about missing the players from the West Ham game.
Ralf has been a bit shite, I won't deny it. But to say he's anything like Mourinho makes no sense to me. His observations come across as far more measured and logical, oh, and they're generally actually quite true. It's the total opposite of Mourinho who used to throw players under the bus randomly just to cover his arse. If Ralf was doing the same and wasn't simply stating facts then I'd say the same thing.

And let's be honest, this team have already completely downed tools and don't seem to give a shit so who cares, it's a far cry from under Mourinho where he was the one causing them to by constantly shitting on them.

My biggest problem with Ralf is that he won't back himself up on the pitch by dropping these players and giving some youngsters a chance instead.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Why? Someone else would be in goal and someone else would be upfront. Did we not finish 2nd without Ronaldo’s goals last season.
As if saying every players will remain consistently as good every seasons…

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
What I’m saying is why is Rangnick revered for it?
People just like that he’s saying stuff that the club hierarchy need to hear, most importantly that the club has lacked but needs a clear vision of the type of manager and player it should be targeting. I don’t think he’s trying to deflect from his own poor performance, he’s not a full-time manager anymore anyway.

A-man

You watch Ederson and Allison and they take some horrendous risks with the ball at their feet. They escape conceding at times due to having top class defenders around them who will clear up the mess. DDG might be replaced, but we need that much he is seen as the least of our problems.
They are, but I would argue that both Pep and Klopp could not play the football they do with DDG at the back. Don’t think ETH will be able to, either.

RopersReturn

As well as the playing staff I think the coaches need to stand up and be held just as accountable too. Their practicing methods and (recently revealed), dietary programs have failed miserably.

Telsim

If we seek to play attacking football we can't have De Gea goalkeeping. Or we will need defenders that can teleport around the pitch at will. That being said, it's the least of our concerns. I'd do with players that actually want to play and win first and don't welt under the first sign of pressure.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yep, whether you agree or not the following players won’t be here in the summer:

Pogba
Matic
Mata
Martial (maybe)
Cavani
Greenwood
VDB (maybe)
Henderson
Ronaldo (maybe)
Tuanzebe
Bailly
Jones

Three players this summer just won’t cut it unfortunately, not if we want to finish anywhere near the top 6.
Greenwood is clearly a ‘maybe’ too.

jesperjaap

Why are people moaning about what he has done as as a manager here?

I think the appointment has been a good one. He is an intelligent man and can now quite simply advise the board and new manager.....half this lots needs going and a major overhaul.....orf with there heads!!!!

Mainoldo

Christ. Some people still advocate for Henderson.
I haven’t seen his name mentioned. I think they just want a different type of keeper. If Hendo was good enough it would of been a quick issue to fix.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Saying that we need to improve in all areas other than goalkeeping doesn't mean that every player outside of goalkeepers is shit.
Particularly when he goes to the trouble of explaining that the number of players needed is so high due to the number that are leaving in the summer.

diarm

This is the job Ralf was brought in to do. I agree with you @Pexbo that is does sound like a man who isn't being listened to by the board, and is trying to ramp up pressure publicly.

As obvious as it all seems, these are the conversations that need having with our board because they're the obvious moves that have been ignored for so long.

As fans we should be loudly and publicly supporting these comments and leaving the owners under no illusions as to how pissed off we'll be if they're ignored again.

hobbers

All this hysterical drivel about De Gea.... at the end of the day he will be the very last player in the squad, along with Sancho, Varane and Bruno, who gets replaced or upgraded.

Mendy is even worse with his feet than De Gea but Chelsea do okay. Their Kepa experiment down that path ended in a £72m catastrophe.

Doesn't help that of those who go on about the keeper situation a big chunk are deluded Maguire apologists who can't accept his cards are marked. And another chunk are Henderson fanboys who haven't yet twigged that he's not fit to lace Ben Foster's boots let alone stake a claim to be a top keeper.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah, us having more clean sheets with Henderson in goal in 10 less appearances than De Gea really proved that one to be a "complete delusion". As did the fact we conceded 46 goals in De Gea's 36 appearances and only 22 in Henderson's 26 appearances. I'm not even a particularly big fan of Henderson but this notion that he blew his chance last season is ridiculous, he was rightly set to start the season as #1 this year due to his performances.

Sa, Sanchez, Raya, that's without even looking outside of the Premier League at players like Maignan, Maximiano, Onana, Simon, Kobel, Cakir, the list goes on. Long story short, it isn't particularly difficult to replace a goalkeeper who excels in one area but is amongst the worst in the league in all other aspects of his role.

Yeah there was literally one quote at that time which was the Romano one. The others came out after which made a lot more sense.
Ajax fans can't wait to be rid of Onana far as I can tell. I won't be appointing you as goalkeeper scout when I'm United chairman I don't think.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He's good at stating the obvious (although I don't agree with him on the goal keeping situation).

It's one thing him saying it, another us actually doing anything about it. There's no way we'll be buying 7 first team players this summer

Worryingly it sounds like he thinks our recruitment and scouting departments are still a shambles so I don't see how we're going to improve that in time for a crucial summer.
It won't be in one window. He is just pointing out what we need going forward. It is not a quick fix process unfortunately.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
:lol: It's nuts how bad we've been run, it really is. Ralf just coming out with what should be basic common sense, and it genuinely comes across as revolutionary to me.
The problem is that while what he said should be common sense, there has been a lot of pushback from fans, media and ex-players whenever people suggest that the manager shouldn't be in charge of everything because it's not an effective way to do things.

JB7

Ajax fans can't wait to be rid of Onana far as I can tell. I won't be appointing you as goalkeeper scout when I'm United chairman I don't think.
Largely because he's very publicly spoken about not signing a new deal after they supported him through his ban. Yet Inter Milan want to replace Handonovic with him, maybe they know a thing or two?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The problem is that while what he said should be common sense, there has been a lot of pushback from fans, media and ex-players whenever people suggest that the manager shouldn't be in charge of everything because it's not an effective way to do things.
Yup. You only have to look at the week when ETH hadn’t been announced and the nonsense rumours were about him demanding full control - “give him whatever he wants!!!!!” “What are we playing at!!!!” Etc.

acnumber9

Ralf has been a bit shite, I won't deny it. But to say he's anything like Mourinho makes no sense to me. His observations come across as far more measured and logical, oh, and they're generally actually quite true. It's the total opposite of Mourinho who used to throw players under the bus randomly just to cover his arse. If Ralf was doing the same and wasn't simply stating facts then I'd say the same thing.

And let's be honest, this team have already completely downed tools and don't seem to give a shit so who cares, it's a far cry from under Mourinho where he was the one causing them to by constantly shitting on them.

My biggest problem with Ralf is that he won't back himself up on the pitch by dropping these players and giving some youngsters a chance instead.
I don’t know. I don’t think Mourinho was wrong either. The likes of Shaw, Pogba and Martial certainly haven’t proven him wrong. Though Mourinho obviously had his part to play with some signings and his behaviour.

Rangnick has his part to play too though and we’ve looked a mess under him. And before anybody says it’s the players, we didn’t look as big a mess under Carrick. There’s more to being a manager than pointing out the squad’s shortcomings, anybody could do that and for half the salary.

Member 101269

Sometime ago i said; he's probably analysing existing players to see if they're good enough. He's not wrong in his analysis, he's also call out the rest of the squad to improve or you're not in future thinking.

While some have mentioned the board, the board has spent money, it's just poorly spent.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's been obvious for a while that 3/4 players every summer just isn't going to cut it when the squad's as far away as it is. I'm pleased someone actively inside the club is actually aware of this. What does concern me is how bloody obvious some of the things he said was.

acnumber9

Why are people moaning about what he has done as as a manager here?

I think the appointment has been a good one. He is an intelligent man and can now quite simply advise the board and new manager.....half this lots needs going and a major overhaul.....orf with there heads!!!!
Because different people have different opinions. Crazy concept and it would be easier if everybody just agreed with jesperjaap off the internet.

diarm

I don’t know. I don’t think Mourinho was wrong either. The likes of Shaw, Pogba and Martial certainly haven’t proven him wrong. Though Mourinho obviously had his part to play with some signings and his behaviour.

Rangnick has his part to play too though and we’ve looked a mess under him. And before anybody says it’s the players, we didn’t look as big a mess under Carrick. There’s more to being a manager than pointing out the squad’s shortcomings, anybody could do that and for half the salary.
There's also more to being a manager than taking 4 points from 2 games as a placeholder.

You continually mentioning Carrick as though his mighty rein is some sort of stick with which to beat Rangnick with is farcical.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
When Mourinho said things like this he was toxic. When Rangnick says it he’s loved for it.
Mourinho said things with an agenda and always with malice.

Rangnick is just telling it how it is - and we can all agree.