Rangnick for next season or Poch in the summer?

Manager choice:Rangnick for another season or pickup a Poch in the summer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
To immediately get on a new managers case because they didn't want them would be disgusting.
That's what will happen, though.

It's happened with all the others - but I can see it be even worse with Poch. Again, he has nothing going for him in terms of anything that might cut him some slack.

eltigreFalcao

Between the two of them, RR is my choice.

I was into Poch back in the Spurs days where he managed to keep them highly competitive with no signings in, what, 3 windows? Now looking back to it I fear this is precisely what makes me want to stay clear from him as I can imagine the board being ash useless and negtive as they are and Poch being ok with it. Poch is weak and this is the least needed atribute right now from a MU manager.

On the other hand, is clear RR is not going to be given the job for me. In fact I could happily bet on that. For me the board and Ragnick are now in separate ways and give how stubborn MU board is I can't see them working hand in hand.

NoPace

I do get that, It is a very difficult job and its going to take more than a manager to get us back. It's really frustrating to see other managers do well and when they take this job, it almost looks like they have no clue how to manage the group of players.

Players have come and gone, we never seem to get better, challenging for big trophies seems really far off.

I look at Jose, he had principles which he lost when he came here, I can see similar happening with poch, his high pressing might get lost for results.

We seen Rangnick ditch his high press to focus on results.

I really do worry for any manager taking charge of us, even Ten Hag, some seem to think he is the one because he has his way of playing. I guarantee his first few months he will be caught out, the high line needs lot of work.

Finally, players at United seem to regress, every player in the last 8/9 years has regressed, we have not seen 1 player so far who has shown progress. We sign players that look average for some reason and I do not know why this is.
I think part of it is that we haven't actually bought anyone in deep/central midfield that can outplay other teams apart from Matic or Schweinsteiger's if their bodies had held up and they just didn't.

We're far from challenging for trophies, but that's all the more reason to bring in Potter.

It definitely is a difficult job. I thought Moyes would take the "big club" football stuff from Everton, which is to say the Pieenar-Barnes link up and such but he acted like he had 2-3 years in the job and it's just not that world anymore. That's a fear if we bring in Potter or Ten Hag and they try to build something slower and longer and we get tonked a few times, but it's possible to see Potter slowly improving us and being here for a decade and I just don't see that with any of the other candidates, so I think he has the highest upside. Not entirely sure he'd take the job, though, after turning down Spurs. If he's hearing encouraging things about being the replacement at Liverpool or City those are just better jobs now. We're more like Chelsea, though it could also be argued that replacing Klopp or Pep is a fool's errand and who knows when they'll actually move on.

Strootman's Finger

Is the club going to be shocked when they inevitably hire Pochettino and all the United fans revolt? There is such a disconnect with the club and the fanbase. Even if Pochettino could do a decent job, it would be a bad pick at this point because the fanbase doesn't want him, a couple of bad weeks and they will be all over him. This is meant to be our long term managerial hire, but could be another lame duck after a short spell of bad performances and right back in this position next year, with ETH snapped up by one of our rivals.

b82REZ

That's what will happen, though.

It's happened with all the others - but I can see it be even worse with Poch. Again, he has nothing going for him in terms of anything that might cut him some slack.
That's entirely subjective though.

IMO he proved during his stint at Spurs he can get a team playing better than the sum of its parts. He over acheived there and that for some reason is used as a stick to beat him with (not winning the PL when Leicester did or winning the CL when reaching the final).

With the freedom we tend to give the manager I do think he'd strive. I do think he's having to work with one hand tied behind his back at PSG and at Spurs he recognised they needed to freshen things up but Levy wasn't willing to invest after the CL run.

I do have some concerns that his time at PSG may have made him damaged goods and we'll be getting a lesser version of him (very similar to when we appointed Jose). However for me he's a safer option than Ten Hag or Potter.

My preference based on current links and availability would be: Poch, Potter, Ten Hag and Ragnick. Admittedly they all have their downsides and I don't think any will truly go toe to toe with Pep and Klopp.

romufc

I think part of it is that we haven't actually bought anyone in deep/central midfield that can outplay other teams apart from Matic or Schweinsteiger's if their bodies had held up and they just didn't.

We're far from challenging for trophies, but that's all the more reason to bring in Potter.

It definitely is a difficult job. I thought Moyes would take the "big club" football stuff from Everton, which is to say the Pieenar-Barnes link up and such but he acted like he had 2-3 years in the job and it's just not that world anymore. That's a fear if we bring in Potter or Ten Hag and they try to build something slower and longer and we get tonked a few times, but it's possible to see Potter slowly improving us and being here for a decade and I just don't see that with any of the other candidates, so I think he has the highest upside. Not entirely sure he'd take the job, though, after turning down Spurs. If he's hearing encouraging things about being the replacement at Liverpool or City those are just better jobs now. We're more like Chelsea, though it could also be argued that replacing Klopp or Pep is a fool's errand and who knows when they'll actually move on.
Thing is we've been in this circle for years though. We bring in a manager, say we going to back him, half back the manager, buy expensive signings, sacked in the 3rd year, then we start fresh again.

I don't think Potter will be able to hack the pressure at United just yet, this job is needs a manager with a really strong mentality. The fans will be divided as soon as the manager starts McFred or Bruno.

We have one of the biggest division on our fan group, so there will be continued pressure on the manager for selecting certain players.

I think you'd be a fool if you are waiting around for the Liverpool or City job, not just because no one knows when they will leave, the impact will be SAF esque. There will be comparisons if things dont go well.

The problem is that there is a very limited selection of top quality managers at the moment.

While it is all opinions. I believe it is not a stretch to suggest that most people did not believe Spurs would consistently finish in the top 4/top 3 and reach a CL final at the time Pochettino took over. Kane's emergence was great for them, but they've had great players before - most notably Gareth Bale just before Pochettino took over.

As for the "good job at spurs" comment. I think Pochettino did an amazing job at Spurs actually. They were entertaining for much of his time there, and performed well above what most people voiced was their ceiling at the time. He did the same at Southampton as well.

As for how how he'd do against Pep, Klopp and Tuchel I have no idea. As with most appointments - you don't really know until they are in the job. Pochettino is not a random manager from a fourth tier country, and it is perfectly reasonable to believe he could do well managing in the Premier League with the kind of resources we have. He is rightly not the only option on the table, obviously, but we shouldn't pretend he's a bad one.

If you want a manager with Trophies go get Ancelotti. No one better. None of the options reported to be on the table aside from Enrique (Ten Hag, Pochettino, Lopetegui, Rangnick) have a particularly impressive list of trophies - so that is hardly an argument against Pochettino compared to the rest.
Really good points. I wouldn’t mind Enrique or Ancelotti to be fair.

I agree Poch raised standards at Spurs so credit to him for that. As you say, nobody we bring in is guaranteed to bring success but after us failing for so long, I am hoping we bring in the person with the highest possible chance of success.

I guess my only worry with Poch is that he might be another David Moyes, absolutely brilliant with an underdog team but unable to win when given big resources and pressure. I know he is at PSG now so it will be interesting to see how he has done by the end of the season. If he does well with them in the champions league then I think that would erase any concerns I might have and probably would for a lot of other people too.

NoPace

Thing is we've been in this circle for years though. We bring in a manager, say we going to back him, half back the manager, buy expensive signings, sacked in the 3rd year, then we start fresh again.

I don't think Potter will be able to hack the pressure at United just yet, this job is needs a manager with a really strong mentality. The fans will be divided as soon as the manager starts McFred or Bruno.

We have one of the biggest division on our fan group, so there will be continued pressure on the manager for selecting certain players.

I think you'd be a fool if you are waiting around for the Liverpool or City job, not just because no one knows when they will leave, the impact will be SAF esque. There will be comparisons if things dont go well.

The problem is that there is a very limited selection of top quality managers at the moment.
I don't think City post-pep will be a dramatic fall because they have money and Foden is 21, Rodri and Dias 25 and 24, Grealish 26 and everyone but Walker, Mahrez, Gundogan and De Bruyne are 27/28. If Pep goes in 3 years and they haven't bought young players then maybe, but they will, as evidenced by the young Argie. Also the players will be well-trained and adaptable with a strong base of technical superiority.

Liverpool post-Klopp is a different story. TAA, Konate, Gomez, Jones, Elliot, Diaz, Jota is a nice young core apart from needing a 6 and an 8, and they buy well, but money isn't limitless. That could be a post-SAF style disaster if they don't appoint right and buy well and get a couple top players from the academy.

The other big question is if either or both are doping (or if everyone is doping but they're doing it better). Obviously that's a considerable hangover risk and a difficult to replace advantage.

If our fans won't give Potter time they're idiots. He'll be a young manager who has transformed his team from among the least watchable to among the most. People seem to think he won't hack the pressure or egos but turning down Spurs shows someone who isn't just doing the same track as every other manager and he won't be terrified of being fired as he can just immediately get a similar job to Brighton, go back there or get a big job overseas or England. I don't think he'll be caving constantly.

Mainoldo

Boom just like that!!!!

Another silly majority opinion :lol:

This has to stop at some point. Been happening since Moyes.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Boom just like that!!!!

Another silly majority opinion :lol:

This has to stop at some point. Been happening since Moyes.
Knee-jerk merchant.

To clarify once again, this is to signify that most of us would rather wait with Rangnick until we get in a manager who could potentially be something amazing.

Also, is this on Rangnick?

AaronRedDevil

Knee-jerk merchant.

To clarify once again, this is to signify that most of us would rather wait with Rangnick until we get in a manager who could potentially be something amazing.

Yep. Nothing on the manager. We hit the post twice. Bruno had 2 clear chances. Ronaldo was way too damn greedy. Feck these shit players.

Mainoldo

Knee-jerk merchant.

Yep makes sense. Sound like the Ole is here building for the next man who’s going to win us the league.

Genius!! Somebody tell Arnold.

Bwuk

Not his fault today that we couldn’t score simple chances.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yep makes sense. Sound like the Ole is here building for the next man who’s going to win us the league.

Genius!! Somebody tell Arnold.
Ha. I do warm to condescension.

PoTMS

Under no circumstances should Rangnick be given another season. The man is as fraudulent as they come. The jury is still out on Pochettino but Rangnick is a known quantity and it doesn't add up to a lot.

Mickson

Under no circumstances should Rangnick be given another season. The man is as fraudulent as they come. The jury is still out on Pochettino but Rangnick is a known quantity and it doesn't add up to a lot.
The man has barely had a coaching job in ten years - and it shows - and the majority here would pick him before Mauricio Pochettino. Incredible.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Knee-jerk merchant.

It's just as knee jerk to be happy keeping a guy on who hasn't managed in donkeys years because he got a couple of wins against Brentford and West Ham. Who are we waiting to become available after the summer?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It does not matter if it's RR (who's absolutely fecking shite), Poch, ETH or Jesus Christ himself the club is cursed

ShinjiNinja26

Can’t really blame Rangnick for the terrible finishing on show tonight that’s down to the players. He set the team up well and we created chance after chance he did his part.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
From a performances standpoint we look better and better.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's just as knee jerk to be happy keeping a guy on who hasn't managed in donkeys years because he got a couple of wins against Brentford and West Ham. Who are we waiting to become available after the summer?
I think I've said it in this thread somewhere, I'm hoping for ten Hag or Enrique (the latter is a bit of a pipe dream, but he could become available after the World Cup, and he certainly knows how to manage egos). Ten Hag is a very realistic possibility I think and if the board are looking to build a progressive footballing team he's the obvious choice. And he seems happy to make a move now. I can't think of other major clubs who are looking for new managers (bar PSG in their average league and they'll likely appoint Zidane). If those two aren't available, the only other candidate I'm warm to is Potter. He's obviously not managed at the elite level or major players, but what he's doing with Brighton is admirable.

It's not knee-jerk to want to avoid appointing Poch, which is really my stance here. If the right man becomes available a little further down the line, I think Rangnick can continue to trim the squad and reign in player power, while building some fundamentals that a progressive manager will continue.

Dec9003

I think I've said it in this thread somewhere, I'm hoping for ten Hag or Enrique (the latter is a bit of a pipe dream, but he could become available after the World Cup, and he certainly knows how to manage egos). Ten Hag is a very realistic possibility I think and if the board are looking to build a progressive footballing team he's the obvious choice. And he seems happy to make a move now. I can't think of other major clubs who are looking for new managers (bar PSG in their average league and they'll likely appoint Zidane). If those two aren't available, the only other candidate I'm warm to is Potter. He's obviously not managed at the elite level or major players, but what he's doing with Brighton is admirable.

It's not knee-jerk to want to avoid appointing Poch, which is really my stance here. If the right man becomes available a little further down the line, I think Rangnick can continue to trim the squad and reign in player power, while building some fundamentals that a progressive manager will continue.
it's not knee jerk to not want Poch, but it's massively knee jerk to want Rangnick to continue past this summer after results against a couple of teams. Realistically he should be nowhere near the job after the summer, if we can't attract Ten Hag then like you said Potter would be a good option.

Realistically, there's a list as long as my arm in regards to managers that have done more in their careers to get the hotseat at Old Trafford than Ralf. No disrespect to the guy he's clearly an intelligent footballing man, but he simply isn't a top football manager.

DickDastardly

For once do the smart thing.

Get Erik.
And get Edwin.

Bring football back to OT.
God knows we need it.

Get Manchester United Football Club on the crest again.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Jesus christ. You cannot blame him tonight. Chance after chance after chance. Missed penalty. Open goal miss. two blazing the ball over from six yards out. Headers straight at the goal keeper.

Dec9003

Jesus christ. You cannot blame him tonight. Chance after chance after chance. Missed penalty. Open goal miss. two blazing the ball over from six yards out. Headers straight at the goal keeper.
You can't blame him tonight, no. Don't make him permanent in the summer though.

flameinthesun

I actually think it doesn't matter as much whether the coach is Ralf, Poch or Ten Haag. At the end of the day if they are not allowed to bring in the players to play their style, let go of the ones that don't fit and actually embed their idenity into the club then we'll be back exactly where we are.

Caesar2290

The man has barely had a coaching job in ten years - and it shows - and the majority here would pick him before Mauricio Pochettino. Incredible.
If anything, this is more of thing on Poch than Ragnick. Imagine not being wanted in favor of a man who hasn't managed in 10 years.

Anyone pointing fingers at Ralf after this needs to give their head a shake.
Agreed. We look so much more comfortable today. One would say too comfortable even. Good signs though.

Let's hope that this game will be a lesson to our players not to dilly dally and actually put the chances away. This might even be a blessing in disguise really if it galvanizes the team to go on a run and finish Top4.

Like I stated before, the majority of Cafe are wrong a lot. This is just another example. Middlesboro is even worse than the nice team.
See the difference is in the performance. We could have finished today 4-0, while Poch's managed to get some measly 2 shots on target in the entire 120 minutes he played. Nobody cares about the result really. It's the football that looks tumescent and at times Ole like that is the concern.

Caesar2290

I actually think it doesn't matter as much whether the coach is Ralf, Poch or Ten Haag. At the end of the day if they are not allowed to bring in the players to play their style, let go of the ones that don't fit and actually embed their idenity into the club then we'll be back exactly where we are.
This narrative needs to die. Just because Mourinho wasn't allowed to bring in Perisic and Willian one summer doesn't mean we pick the team for our managers. LVG cleared our starting 11 and replaced it with dross. Jose brought his own men, so did Ole. Very poor take on the situation

OldSchoolManc

What the hell DO people see in Pochettinho?!
He actually lost a one team league the previous season. He’s got Messi playing like a lame duck.
Drop it like it‘s hot

flameinthesun

This narrative needs to die. Just because Mourinho wasn't allowed to bring in Perisic and Willian one summer doesn't mean we pick the team for our managers. LVG cleared our starting 11 and replaced it with dross. Jose brought his own men, so did Ole. Very poor take on the situation
The LVG who quite clearly stated he wasnt able to bring in the first or 2nd choice players that he wanted. The Jose who brought in some players, won europa league and league cup, got the most points and identified that for the team to truly play the way he wanted he would need more of the grifters like pulisic rather than players that are mentally weak like martial, shaw etc.

The fact that I'm even having to defend Jose whose football I was not a fan of shows the poor take is yours.

If Ralf stays on and wants to implement a pressing style but hes not able to get the players he needs for it what do you think will happen?
If ten haag or Poch want to bring in players to play their style but cant what do you think will happen?

The point being if we are going to buy into a way of playing via a manager then we can't have one foot in and one foot out. Regardless of what manager we get, if the club hires them to implement an identity then they have to back them 100% of the way.

Dan_F

Knee-jerk merchant.

Feels like we’ve been playing premier league opponents in every round for the last decade, so that’s not that surprising :lol:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
If anything, this is more of thing on Poch than Ragnick. Imagine not being wanted in favor of a man who hasn't managed in 10 years.

Agreed. We look so much more comfortable today. One would say too comfortable even. Good signs though.

Let's hope that this game will be a lesson to our players not to dilly dally and actually put the chances away. This might even be a blessing in disguise really if it galvanizes the team to go on a run and finish Top4.

See the difference is in the performance. We could have finished today 4-0, while Poch's managed to get some measly 2 shots on target in the entire 120 minutes he played. Nobody cares about the result really. It's the football that looks tumescent and at times Ole like that is the concern.
Jesus, can't believe you are still defending such a ludicrous decision. Nice is a much stronger team than Middleboro, Middleboro came to attack, while nice came to defend, United used their strongest 11, while psg used a lot of their fringe players. A lot of factors showcase that such a comparison is not even worth noting. Heck none of our players even had a performance that was labeled a disaster class like Messi performance was then
The fact that you taught psg played 120 minutes is even more laughable as after full time, they went straight to penalties. The game today, we couldn't even finish a championship team in 120 minutes. If the psg game went to 120 minutes, I m quite sure they would have won. This game was 10x more embarrassing than the psg one

RedDevilQuebecois

Please add "neither" as a third option.

Ten Hag for me now despite my previous reservations. The prospect of Poch has become far less appealing in the last few months.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Between Rangnick and Porch? Rangnick tbh.
Ten Hag though is the one we should go for.

James35

The Poch dislike is hilarious. We have done it for years with players also, where we perceive individuals as being not good enough for the mighty Man United. We couldn’t be anymore shit right now and have been for years.

Ralf is an interim and has never done anything that note worthy as a manager, his future should be as a consultant that the club actually listen to, but I doubt that will really happen. I can understand the wankfest for Ten Hag as he does seem like a new Jose hype level coach who could do wonders at a big club, however what makes any of you think he would want to join this circus? Why would any top manager with options?

I doubt if we hired Klopp or Pep they would be successful here when they have those clowns above them. I’d certainly take Poch over Ralf though as I do rate him for what he did at Southampton and Spurs, I’d even prefer Brendan Rogers - but it is all a bit of a moot point as we are going absolutely nowhere as a club.

OrcaFat

It’s not much of a choice but I went for Poch. RR seems more suited to upstairs. I don’t blame him for the losses, the problem is the lack of quality players in key positions.

I wouldn’t be keen on Poch but his strength seems to be day-to-day contact with players. We have a few emerging talents in the academy and Poch might do a good job bringing them through. So if it’s between those two, I’d take Poch. RR looks knackered already.