Rangnick & Ronaldo

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
Yeah , tell that to Pep when he tried to sign him in summer.
Just because Man City wanted him doesn't mean Pep wants him. Think about Ole and DVB.

Second, Man city wanting him is just rumors out there and maybe it's was just discussion inside the club considering it but never serious.

Anyway, if you think Pep wants the current Ronaldo, your understanding of the game is very very poor.

KeanoMagicHat

Just because Man City wanted him doesn't mean Pep wants him. Think about Ole and DVB.

Second, Man city wanting him is just rumors out there and maybe it's was just discussion inside the club considering it but never serious.

Anyway, if you think Pep wants the current Ronaldo, your understanding of the game is very very poor.
Yep, Pep chose to combat PSG’s stars with Zinchenko and Bernardo Silva up front for the first half against PSG. Do you think he’d have carried Ronaldo in that game? No chance.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Dude, you keep saying to everyone that our understanding of game is wrong. I feel like you are the one who claims to an expert and posting BS.

City chased Ronaldo - it's a fact. You are just assuming that it didn't happen. Again, no idea why you would bring Ole and Donny into the mix. No media has ever reported that Ole didn't want Donny. It's all fans assumption that perhaps Ole didn't want him.

You have no idea how Ronaldo would adapt to a pressing system. His previous managers has never played something like that. May be he will fail but to say, he won't be a fit without even kicking a ball is just another version of "armchair " critic.

So stand down for your own sake.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
Dude, you keep saying to everyone that our understanding of game is wrong. I feel like you are the one who claims to an expert and posting BS.

City chased Ronaldo - it's a fact. You are just assuming that it didn't happen. Again, no idea why you would bring Ole and Donny into the mix. No media has ever reported that Ole didn't want Donny. It's all fans assumption that perhaps Ole didn't want him.

You have no idea how Ronaldo would adapt to a pressing system. His previous managers has never played something like that. May be he will fail but to say, he won't be a fit without even kicking a ball is just another version of "armchair " critic.

So stand down for your own sake.
Look into the history book of the game for once dude.
He threw away prime Zlatan because of the reason he does not participate in the game he wants him to.

Yeah, I agree who knows that Ronaldo might adapt to Pep's play? but that's like expecting Martial to win the next Ballon d'or. To add something, Pep's play is not just about pressing. It's about dynamic positioning, making lots and lots of dummy runs to give space for other players, and a whole lots of other aspects that Ronaldo is not suited to.

Watch the game against PSG again and see how Pep's front three move around. Then see how Ronaldo moves around in the Liverpool and City game.
If you can't see the stark difference then your understanding of the game is very surface level.

Highfather_24

Ronaldo has been pressing more and asking the team to press far more frequently recently. In CL, his workrate increased massively. He will press, and cut passing lanes with curved runs. He will not have to run like a mad dog towards the ball player. Work smart, not hard.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Look into the history book of the game for once dude.
He threw away prime Zlatan because of the reason he does not participate in the game he wants him to.

Yeah, I agree who knows that Ronaldo might adapt to Pep's play? but that's like expecting Martial to win the next Ballon d'or. To add something, Pep's play is not just about pressing. It's about dynamic positioning, making lots and lots of dummy runs to give space for other players, and a whole lots of other aspects that Ronaldo is not suited to.

Watch the game against PSG again and see how Pep's front three move around. Then see how Ronaldo moves around in the Liverpool and City game.
If you can't see the stark difference then your understanding of the game is very surface level.
You keep going away from the actual point. The discussion is whether Ronaldo can fit in a pressing side. My answer is good as yours. No idea . We will have to wait and see.

Now for the record, it's the same Pep who wanted Messi at City. The same Messi who presses less than Ronaldo. So let's not claim that we know everything and undermine others because they had an opinion.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
You keep going away from the actual point. The discussion is whether Ronaldo can fit in a pressing side. My answer is good as yours. No idea . We will have to wait and see.
:lol: such a pointless thread. Nobody has a clue - not even Rangnick and Ronaldo

Sviken

No pep will not, you have absolutely no understanding of how Pep plays the game.
Explain to me how Pep plays the game, oh so wise genius. Were Messi and Lewandowski the greatest pressers in existence? Absolutely not. You also try to argue that he sold Zlatan because he didn't fit his system, but it's an own goal argument because he signed Zlatan in the first place - a player who is the total opposite of a striker that Pep wants. Let's not forget that the reason why Zlatan was sold was more in the political sphere rather than the game one. Zlatan was bad for the locker room, he clashed with Messi and Pep on numerous occassions and most of all - had replaced a better player in Messi as a striker. Ronaldo, on the other hand, would be comfortably City's best striker and they'd be winning the league right now with him. The two situations aren't even remotely comparable.

You absolutely have zero idea how Pep's teams play, not me. Pep generally allows his main player a lot of freedom to do what he wants (Messi, Lewandowski, Robben, De Bruyne, etc) while the rest of the team works. You also have to do that because those players win you games. If they are pressing machines and run around a lot, you're wasting them as game deciders because they'd be too tired to affect the game. Pep's teams generally constrict the opponents team via defensive positioning and strategic man marking, cutting the passing lanes and removing available option passes. They don't mindlessly run around like headless chickens, his teams are very strategic and energy reserving in that regard. This was perfectly illustrated in the PSG game a few days ago where, in the moment City lost the ball, they went into a defensive shape, man marking each opposing player and cutting the passing options. The moment a pass occurs from PSG, if the ball isn't intercepted, there's at least 2 City players in a very short distance eager to take the ball away. This doesn't require any running whatsoever, just drills and clear tactical instructions that anyone would be able to do. This is slightly different from Klopp's pressing system, but the basic principles remain the same.

I do not know why some people have been led to believe that a pressing team is 11 Bruno's running around the field, not knowing where their head is. It's the exact opposite.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona

Now for the record, it's the same Pep who wanted Messi at City. The same Messi who presses less than Ronaldo. So let's not claim that we know everything and undermine others because they had an opinion.
You really think Pep wanted Messi to come to City but wasn't able to get him? City has all the money and power to get Messi if they really wanted him.
Maybe the only factor is did Messi prefer PSG, but considering how Messi likes Pep I think the safer bet is he would have chosen Pep over PSG. Plus, City has a better chance of winning the CL than PSG (even before the season started)

But if your argument is we don't know until we see then I don't really know what to say. We all make judgements based on the previous records and try to make the best estimation. Previous records of Ronaldo does not suggest he would fit into any pressing team let alone Pep's team. Pressing works when all 11 players participate in it, there can be no passenger. So the idea of let the rest of the 10 players do the pressing and Ronaldo will do the finishing can NEVER ever work. If Ronaldo adapts to the pressing style then yeah it could work. However, his previous records does not suggest that so that is where my judgement lies.

But who knows? maybe Ronaldo will change his style of play and also accepts not playing every single game (no matter what a 36 year old cannot play pressing play 90 mins every game). If that happens as a United fan I would be really happy because that would truly improve the team to the next level.

Explain to me how Pep plays the game, oh so wise genius. Were Messi and Lewandowski the greatest pressers in existence? Absolutely not. You also try to argue that he sold Zlatan because he didn't fit his system, but it's an own goal argument because he signed Zlatan in the first place - a player who is the total opposite of a striker that Pep wants. Let's not forget that the reason why Zlatan was sold was more in the political sphere rather than the game one. Zlatan was bad for the locker room, he clashed with Messi and Pep on numerous occassions and most of all - had replaced a better player in Messi as a striker. Ronaldo, on the other hand, would be comfortably City's best striker and they'd be winning the league right now with him. The two situations aren't even remotely comparable.

You absolutely have zero idea how Pep's teams play, not me. Pep generally allows his main player a lot of freedom to do what he wants (Messi, Lewandowski, Robben, De Bruyne, etc) while the rest of the team works. You also have to do that because those players win you games. If they are pressing machines and run around a lot, you're wasting them as game deciders because they'd be too tired to affect the game. Pep's teams generally constrict the opponents team via defensive positioning and strategic man marking, cutting the passing lanes and removing available option passes. They don't mindlessly run around like headless chickens, his teams are very strategic and energy reserving in that regard. This was perfectly illustrated in the PSG game a few days ago where, in the moment City lost the ball, they went into a defensive shape, man marking each opposing player and cutting the passing options. The moment a pass occurs from PSG, if the ball isn't intercepted, there's at least 2 City players in a very short distance eager to take the ball away. This doesn't require any running whatsoever, just drills and clear tactical instructions that anyone would be able to do. This is slightly different from Klopp's pressing system, but the basic principles remain the same.

I do not know why some people have been led to believe that a pressing team is 11 Bruno's running around the field, not knowing where their head is. It's the exact opposite.
Messi at that time and Lewandowski are absolutely hard workers. Free role does not mean yeah do whatever you want. end of conversation.

Sviken

Messi at that time and Lewandowski are absolutely hard workers. Free role does not mean yeah do whatever you want. end of conversation.
Have you ever watched them play? They were absolutely not "hard workers". Maybe "smart workers" would be an accurate description, but to me a hard working striker would be something like Tevez or Rooney, which Messi and Lewandowski never were, not even in their primes. So quit talking bullshit because the way this is going - next thing you're going to say is that Robben was a hard worker.

You really think Pep wanted Messi to come to City but wasn't able to get him? City has all the money and power to get Messi if they really wanted him.
Are you aware of the fact that Messi tried his best (ultimately unsuccessfully) to get out of his Barcelona contract the year before he actually left, and that City were the front-runners to get him then?

Going by your posts in this topic and others, I don't really think you're in any position to be telling other people they have a poor understanding of the game. Maybe try engaging with the other person's post about how a Guardiola team actually presses and point out what you disagree with / think is incorrect, instead of ignoring it all and just going "end of conversation you don't get it".

Last edited:

bakalhau

How can people believe such a thing. The top flight English football is not the Portuguese 2nd division, where CEOs/presidents buy whatever players they want over the coaches' wishes. Anyway, Pep conceded an interview 3 weeks ago where he was asked if Ole was right that Ronaldo was never close to signing for City. If you wanna go and watch it, and hear Pep's answer, and you are minimally good at reading facial expressions, you will understand once and for all not only Pep wanted him/thought he was a good choice by the City board (as a 2nd choice, after Kane deal fell down, of course), but that he wasn't happy he couldn't get him in the end.

I honest to god don't get why is it so hard to understand that any coach in the world would want a player that's world class, for a position where the coach actively asked for a signing during the summer, regardless of whether said player is called Ronaldo or Carlos Mbambu.

mancan92

This is hilarious Pep literally tried to sign Ronaldo he was on the verge of confirming they had signed him when asked.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

:lol: Yeah, who would want that world-beating, professional, experienced, goal-scoring machine in their starting eleven. Pep very obviously did want him and went for him, so maybe you think he has a poor understanding of the game also? :lol:

captaincantona

You’re using Peps time with Messi as an example out of context completely and disingenuously. It has nothing to do with this arguement. Messi with Pep was the best player in the world in his prime in the best team in the world often having 70% plus possession. Messi didn’t need to press in that Barca team as Barca’s main defensive tactic at that time was simply keeping the ball.

Your point about Lewandowski is more valid but still argues the wrong point. Lewandowski was more than capable of playing in a Pep system...because he gave himself over to Peps philosophy...he was not in anyway egotistical about being Robert Lewandowski- even moving out of the CF position and playing wide for a whole season just to learn more about what Pep needed him to be. That season the goals were shared almost equally across Bayern’s frontline. No one is saying...at least I hope no one is saying...that Ronaldo is not fit enough to play in a Pep team...It is the fact that Ronaldo plays for Ronaldo. He is unparalleled in that sense.

you’re right...it’s not about running round like a headless chicken...it’s about robotic execution of a plan to achieve incredible team performances and goals...that is not a side to Ronaldo’s game anyone has ever seen. We have seen tantrums and lambasting team mates for not passing and generally thinking he is above tracking consistently or closing down defenders. That’s not my view or a bias view...that is Ronaldo. If you accommodate that you receive 40+ goals from him. It’s a trade.

So think of it this way...what top team does Ronaldo join and seamlessly fits that coaches way of playing? None. Teams adapt to get the best from him. Would Pep adapt to Ronaldo? Would Klopp? No way. They buy players to fit their system. It would be Ronaldo that would have to show another side of his game.

I think Pep wanted Ronaldo but I don’t think that he intended to change shape to get the best out of him. Ronaldo would have had to adapt...but Pep is about the only coach on the planet that could call those kind of shots and stand a chance of getting Ronny to change his game this late in the day...I think Rangnick is closer to Klopp who is more high intensity...I don’t think Ronaldo will change his game for Rangnick...I just hope Rangnick does not change his philosophy for Ronaldo.

Scholsey2004

I think he'll probably do well. We know Ronaldo wanted quicker transitions with the ball getting forward more quickly recently and that seems to be in line with Rangnick's ideology.

HailtotheKing

Ronaldo is an absolute professional and is absolutely driven to succeed. If he feels the way Rangnick wants to play is going to benefit him and the team, I'm sure he will absolutely fall in line. And I'm not sure if he's going to be asked to do that much. More about following instructions on where to put applied pressure, rather than all-out 90 minutes of Tevez.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Not sure if Ronnie ever played for a purely pressing team. I think he will adapt and press 10-20% more, which might be enough, especially when it's not always about pressing and running straight at the keeper but closing down effectively mostly to the byline and being ahead of players at the right time. and he's got good reactions and long feet. As soon as he finds out this is the way to achieve something and even bring some silverware he will want to improve.

Also like it's been said we will work around him a bit more, I hope Rashford and Greenwood will improve, because that's what letting them down when their form is not the best, they can still be very vaulable when they work hard of the ball and finish off just one of their chances.

I alos think Ronaldo might play 10-15% less, since obviously Ragnick will love Cavani's workrate so the Uruguayan might start few games over him and they might share directly minutes as substitutes too.

I think we will manage..

mancan92

You’re using Peps time with Messi as an example out of context completely and disingenuously. It has nothing to do with this arguement. Messi with Pep was the best player in the world in his prime in the best team in the world often having 70% plus possession. Messi didn’t need to press in that Barca team as Barca’s main defensive tactic at that time was simply keeping the ball.

Your point about Lewandowski is more valid but still argues the wrong point. Lewandowski was more than capable of playing in a Pep system...because he gave himself over to Peps philosophy...he was not in anyway egotistical about being Robert Lewandowski- even moving out of the CF position and playing wide for a whole season just to learn more about what Pep needed him to be. That season the goals were shared almost equally across Bayern’s frontline. No one is saying...at least I hope no one is saying...that Ronaldo is not fit enough to play in a Pep team...It is the fact that Ronaldo plays for Ronaldo. He is unparalleled in that sense.

you’re right...it’s not about running round like a headless chicken...it’s about robotic execution of a plan to achieve incredible team performances and goals...that is not a side to Ronaldo’s game anyone has ever seen. We have seen tantrums and lambasting team mates for not passing and generally thinking he is above tracking consistently or closing down defenders. That’s not my view or a bias view...that is Ronaldo. If you accommodate that you receive 40+ goals from him. It’s a trade.

So think of it this way...what top team does Ronaldo join and seamlessly fits that coaches way of playing? None. Teams adapt to get the best from him. Would Pep adapt to Ronaldo? Would Klopp? No way. They buy players to fit their system. It would be Ronaldo that would have to show another side of his game.

I think Pep wanted Ronaldo but I don’t think that he intended to change shape to get the best out of him. Ronaldo would have had to adapt...but Pep is about the only coach on the planet that could call those kind of shots and stand a chance of getting Ronny to change his game this late in the day...I think Rangnick is closer to Klopp who is more high intensity...I don’t think Ronaldo will change his game for Rangnick...I just hope Rangnick does not change his philosophy for Ronaldo.
This is the biggest load of rubbish I've heard about Ronaldo. He is adaptable to any scenario that's the thing about Ronaldo. He has never not been a success that's not because he was catered to it was because he does whatever it takes to win.

Lentwood

I'm sure Ronaldo will get the opportunity to prove whether he can deliver on what the new manager wants, as will the rest of the squad.

If they can't do, then unfortunately that's their issue. We need to move away from this notion of superstars and sacred individuals toward a team-orientated mentality.

It's why teams like PSG have underachieved recently whilst City, Liverpool and Chelsea have been picking up trophies

Blood Mage

Ronaldo is an absolute professional and is absolutely driven to succeed. If he feels the way Rangnick wants to play is going to benefit him and the team, I'm sure he will absolutely fall in line. And I'm not sure if he's going to be asked to do that much. More about following instructions on where to put applied pressure, rather than all-out 90 minutes of Tevez.
No-one doubts Ronaldo's professionalism and willingness to play the way his manager wants, what's in question is if he can physically do it.

Well...

This made me laugh especially the fake run at the end by... Martial?
It’s actually a good video to show that pretty much anyone can play a pressing game, if the entire team press. If they don’t, like here, Ronaldo may as well just walk. If people here think that’s how Ronaldo would have to work for 90 minutes if his teammates were doing their job, no wonder they think he won’t physically be able to.
Martial there doesn’t even have to work hard, he simply needs to go press the player, which he could pretty much do at jogging pace.

I don’t for a second think Ronaldo will have any issues, he won’t be a Tevez, but that aint needed for a successful press, as someone in here already mentioned, Lewa does it just fine.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Ronaldo works harder and smarter than the rest of the team. I'm sure Rangnick will love working with him

sp_107

Hope the situation with Ronaldo wont cause too much friction at club.
Excited about |Ralf's coaching style but not sure our guys will come out of their comfort zone and do the hard work..
Who do you think our guys throw him under bus as they all know he is coming in for only 6 months

NZT-One

I'm sure Ronaldo will get the opportunity to prove whether he can deliver on what the new manager wants, as will the rest of the squad.

If they can't do, then unfortunately that's their issue. We need to move away from this notion of superstars and sacred individuals toward a team-orientated mentality.

It's why teams like PSG have underachieved recently whilst City, Liverpool and Chelsea have been picking up trophies
Absolutely agree. There is no point celebrating bringing in Rangnick to boost our team capabilities but on the other hand wanting to make sure, that Ronaldo doesn't get touched because he is soooo good. He undeniably is but he also was for Juve and they still were happy to let him. Sure, there were other reasons as well having Ronaldo in your team, as with any other player has its pros and cons. I am sure, him and Rangnick will figure something out. Pressing isn't pressing, we don't have to do it from the front, we could also do it in a mid-block setting. But in no way should we give too much meaning to the needs and wishes of a player, who probably would play for ManCity now, hadn't we swooped in.

He is a great player and I hope, he will lift another trophy with us but getting Man United to the top is paramount now and seeing the distance we have to catch up, the team needs to be priority. But again, as it had been said: Rangnick is a smart person, he will have an idea to get something out of a freak player like Ronaldo. Football isn't just pressing.

sancho1983

Rangnick had Raul at 34 as his main striker at Shalke. Ronaldo will be just fine with him

Sviken

Barca were the best team in the world because Pep made them the best team in the world. They were decent under Rijkaard and that's it. He integrated Messi in a role that he has never played in and it was a masterstroke. He perfectly knew how to utilize Messi. If Pep had Ronaldo in the team, he'd have done the same thing. When you have an amazing player, it's no rocket science to integrate them. No top manager is a rigid coach.

Where does this nonsense comes from? Ronaldo has the utmost desire to win, he doesn't play for himself. He played very different roles in United, Madrid and Juventus and in all three teams he adapted to where the coach wanted to play him in. He played under a plethora of different managers in both Madrid and Juventus and each manager tinkered with his style of play and Ronaldo adapted to them all. The notion that Ronaldo will be unable to adapt to Pep comes from nothing.

Oh yes man, the person that has won 5 CL's with two clubs, numerous titles and cups is somehow unable to achieve incredible team performances because he is too selfish and unadaptable or something. Ronaldo has only complained about his teammates when they are not doing enough, case in point when we talk about pressing:

Here you can see him, contrary to your words about being "above closing down defenders", as being the only Madrid player even trying to close Barca's players while the rest of his team watches him. Ronaldo is not above anything, all he cares about is winning and he doesn't really care what he needs to do to get there.

Again, nonsense. How does Bernardo Silva fit Pep's system? Or Salah Klopp's? They make it work because they're top-top managers. How did the Bayern squad work for Pep when they played the totally opposite system of Pep's under Heynckes? Your whole argument is moot at this point. Liverpool also didn't pray remotely similar to Jurgen's system, yet here they are. And yes he did have to remove some dross and replace them, but overall the change was very gradual and the results were pretty fast. There's no top manager in the world that has a rigid belief in a system.

That's speculation that has no grounds whatsoever. Where does this idea comes from that Ronaldo is unwilling to adapt to anything and every coach has to catter to him despite all the evidence to the contrary? Hasn't he wasted months under Ole, under his shit system and positioning without even saying so much as a peep? Or do you think Ronaldo is happy to have played "have fun and enjoy yourself, lads" Oleball? If anything, rumors circulating from his camp suggest he was anything but happy about the drop of standards and training.

You guys are also, once again, misconstruing what a pressing system is. An effective pressing system doesn't require much running, it requires positional awareness, passing awareness, tactical awareness and the ability to be ready to "pounce" when the moment is right. This is all drilled in the training ground and by the coach. It is NOT running around for cardio or having a FM workrate of 20 in order to do it. Even the laziest player in the world can do it, if he has the desire to do so. It is not intensive in any way whatsoever and it is not something a single person does, it's a team effort.

Gottabekiddingme

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti mentioned Ronaldo in a recent interview:

"I'd be an idiot if with a striker like Vinicius, who has a motor under his feet, I didn't rely on the counterattack. I'll give you one last example: if I have Ronaldo in front of me I study how to get the ball to him often, I don't ask him to exhaust himself by tracking back. It's the same with Ibra. There are two types of players: those who make a difference and those who have to run. Conte must have said that, and if he didn't it's fine too. I've never cultivated an ideology like Guardiolismo, Sarrismo. My creed is team identity"

captaincantona

You as a poster consistently ignore the actual arguements people make and instead repeat conflated nonsense that supports a point no one is even talking about while trying to make yourself sound like an authority on things. It quite irritating so please do try stay focused on what people actually say if you are going to waste time responding to them.

Barca were the best team in the world because Pep made them the best team in the world.
What has this got to do with my point? it’s simple, you compared Ronaldo integrating to Peps City (at 37 , waning in powers and limited to basically one main role for the last 7or 8 years) with how Pep got the best out of prime Messi in a prime Barca team...different players, different positions, different stage of their careers, different era of dominance, different league...there is no correlation that allows you to make that comparison except the rudimentary understanding that neither have pressed during their careers. As I said, you are being disingenuous and its evidence that you don’t read what people post you just rant about things while trying to seem knowledgeable. Pep made Barca great? Who said he didn’t? Who is even talking about that? Who said Ronaldo couldn’t play in a pep team? Did you even read my post?
. He played very different roles in United, Madrid and Juventus and in all three teams he adapted to where the coach wanted to play him in. He played under a plethora of different managers in both Madrid and Juventus and each manager tinkered with his style of play and Ronaldo adapted to them all. The notion that Ronaldo will be unable to adapt to Pep comes from nothing
Again,I said the exact opposite you irritating person. I said there is no doubt that Ronaldo could play in a Pep setup but just like Lewa and Bernardo and every player...it will be Peps style. “Tinkered with his style of play” you have no idea who has or who has not tinkered with his style of play...since moving to that second CF role off the left, he has played there more often than not...Intentionally or otherwise, that’s where he drifts...did it at Juve and the end under Zidane while Benzema mopped up. He has very much only adapted from being a winger to a CF/WF. No evidence of him changing his game other than that. However there is evidence of teams moving from3 up front to a front 2 to accommodate him.
Here you can see him, contrary to your words about being "above closing down defenders", as being the only Madrid player even trying to close Barca's players while the rest of his team watches him. Ronaldo is not above anything, all he cares about is winning and he doesn't really care what he needs to do to get there.
and as for your video- dont make me show you hours of video of the guy litterally standing there doing nothing while his whole team swarm after the ball- you tube is great isn’t it. People like you can find any snippet they want to back up a nonsense. Why yes Sviken-Ronaldo IS A hard working presser in each team he played for...are you really trying to make that point?
Again, nonsense. How does Bernardo Silva fit Pep's system? Or Salah Klopp's? They make it work because they're top-top managers. How did the Bayern squad work for Pep when they played the totally opposite system of Pep's under Heynckes? Your whole argument is moot at this point. Liverpool also didn't pray remotely similar to Jurgen's system,
It takes a really talented and gifted poster to write a paragraph disagreeing with a point only to actually agree with the point being made in the first instance. You are making my point for me...players come in to Peps teams and whatever their background they buy into the coaches vision and play a role for the team. My point was that Ronaldo would have to do that...that Pep wouldn’t be altering city’s approach to suit Ronaldo. Evidence of why that’s the case - Peps Bayern moved the most sought after striker in Europe out wide and as such he spent a whole season sharing goal scoring duties with the entire frontline. Lewandowski bought into Peps system. Conversely- Zidane sacrificed Benzema season after season to get the best out of Ronaldo(to devastating effect All the same)only for Benzema and others to start scoring again once Ronny left...exact same at Juventus...Juve’s goal scoring potency stayed the same except Ronaldo became the main goal scorer- both evidence that the coaches changed their approach to maximise Ronaldo’s contribution and he duly delivered. Hell even former team mates of his have spoken of this trade off for having Ronaldo in your team and the fact that it’s not all positive...are you saying you know more about how Ronaldo has been integrated into teams better than his own team mates Sviken? Really? for him to play in a Pep team he would need to adapt and while he is clearly of the ability to do so...I don’t see evidence of that in the last7 or 8 years.
That's speculation that has no grounds whatsoever. Where does this idea comes from that Ronaldo is unwilling to adapt to anything and every coach has to catter to him despite all the evidence to the contrary?
“That’s speculation” ...will you give it a rest? I said it’s my opinion...I said “I think”. There is no evidence of Ronaldo adapting to anything or evidence of him not adapting...at least none that you can say is definitive. We are giving our opinions based on what we have seen...I have seen teams make Ronaldo the focal point where as I have seen other amazing players (Lewandowski, De Bruyne, Salah, Mane, Aguero etc) all be integrated into an existing style and adapting to that style. Everywhere Ronaldo has gone the team has adapted to him...so integrating him into a high press team, while not impossible, would be something new to him at this point in his career. It’s a simple point and I have wasted too much of my Sunday morning on you. Have a good one.

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

That never happened. No idea what you're talking about.

captaincantona

That never happened. No idea what you're talking about.
His first season at Bayern Pep often used muller and Goetze as false 9’s. While Manzudkic previously played as an out and out striker, he was there for his work rate and he didn’t score many at all as I remember. When Lewa came in he was not used as a lone striker in the way that many expected. I think that was reflected in the spread of gaols across the frontline that season...but I’m not arsed checking. You’re a Bayern fan...I’m not gonna contradict you but I watched a serious amount of Bayern when pep first got there and that was my recollection.

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
His first season at Bayern Pep often used muller and Goetze as false 9’s. While Manzudkic previously played as an out and out striker, he was there for his work rate and he didn’t score many at all as I remember. When Lewa came in he was not used as a lone striker in the way that many expected. I think that was reflected in the spread of gaols across the frontline that season...but I’m not arsed checking. You’re a Bayern fan...I’m not gonna contradict you but I watched a serious amount of Bayern when pep first got there and that was my recollection.
The frontline was very fluid, yes, and Lewandowski moved around a lot (he still does by the way). But it's a massive exaggeration, or rather falsehood, to claim that Lewandoski spent a whole season "playing wide", he didn't. Especially since playing wide for Pep actually means hugging the touchline more often than not, like we've seen with Coman or Sané in later years.
The claim maybe rather fits Henry's account of his experience under Pep.

captaincantona

The frontline was very fluid, yes, and Lewandowski moved around a lot (he still does by the way). But it's a massive exaggeration, or rather falsehood, to claim that Lewandoski spent a whole season "playing wide", he didn't. Especially since playing wide for Pep actually means hugging the touchline more often than not, like we've seen with Coman or Sané in later years.
Accepted. I was trying to illustrate that he had to adapt and didn’t just come in to the team and have a team structured around him to get the best out of him in the same way that Juve and United have had to try and do with Ronaldo. I never meant he was a winger.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Pressing and running like a headless chicken are two different things.
This point really needs to be highlighted. It's like people expect us to be mindless maniacs under Rangnick, or playing like it's the last minutes of a final for a full game.

Proper pressing has your men in optimal positions at nearly all times and relies on less exertion because of the collective swarm and contingencies in place.

If every man knows what they're doing, the amount of needless energy expenditure reduces greatly whilst the intensity of those presses remains high. There should also be ample time for recovery - we don't need a bunch of Fred's or Cavani's to make for an exceptional pressing team.

There should also be sweeper-uppers who have herded men run into them, and as long as they're doing their own jobs dutifully and accurately, they are always part of an effective press simply by way of being where they are supposed to be at the right times.

It's those who can't read play or follow instructions that are most at jeopardy; it's not a case of needing 5 Kante's out there to make for a devastating pressing team.

Long Time Red

How did Lewandoski press under Hansi Flick? I've never really thought he was a great presser and the success of the press was down to Muller, Gnabry, Coman, Thiago and Kimmich but I only watched Bayern in the Champions League so perhaps that's a lazy observation.

It seems like Flick and Rangnick aren't too far apart in terms of style and philosophy.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Accepted. I was trying to illustrate that he had to adapt and didn’t just come in to the team and have a team structured around him.
Agreed. But maybe you could also say that Pep adapted after stifling Lewandowski that first season a bit too much? Did he revert to using more wing-play tactics because he wanted to or because he resigned to it, or because of transfers and injuries? It's hard to say what's the chicken and what's the egg in these transformations.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
How did Lewandoski press under Hansi Flick? I've never really thought he was a great presser and the success of the press was down to Muller, Gnabry, Coman, Thiago and Kimmich but I only watched Bayern in the Champions League so perhaps that's a lazy observation.

It seems like Flick and Rangnick aren't too far apart in terms of style and philosophy.
Hasenhüttl, or Roger Schmidt, are much closer in style to Rangnick than Flick, at least if we take the very limited sample size of their recently managed teams (Flick hasn't exactly an extensive resumee in terms of club management, and neither has Rangnick had in the last decade).

On topic, Rangnick never really had to work with a superstar squad, so we have no idea how, and how well, he will deal with it. Personally, I think you guys are getting way too overexcited but I've put my opinion across enough on this.

Sviken

Who said Ronaldo couldn’t play in a pep team? Did you even read my post?
Then what the feck are we arguing here for? Did you even follow the original conversation or decided to tune it just for the hell of it?

Again,I said the exact opposite you irritating person. I said there is no doubt that Ronaldo could play in a Pep setup but just like Lewa and Bernardo and every player...it will be Peps style. “Tinkered with his style of play” you have no idea who has or who has not tinkered with his style of play...since moving to that second CF role off the left, he has played there more often than not...Intentionally or otherwise, that’s where he drifts...did it at Juve and the end under Zidane while Benzema mopped up. He has very much only adapted from being a winger to a CF/WF. No evidence of him changing his game other than that. However there is evidence of teams moving from3 up front to a front 2 to accommodate him.
This is not what we were arguing about... irritating person. The original topic of discussion was more or less whether Ronaldo is capable of adapting to a system. Then you tuned in after RedDribble and decided to spill even more nonsense than him. What does "Pep's style" even mean? Pep has a system, he doesn't "change" how specific players play, he changes how a team plays. Ronaldo wouldn't play much differently with Pep than when he played with Real, Pep would just know how to utilize him to the best of his abilities. Ronaldo has also never been much of a CF, his role predominantly at both Juve and Real Madrid were that of an inside forward having more or less a free role to roam and drift in the middle for goalscoring positions. And where do you get this nonsense about team moving from a front three to a 2? Allegri, Sarri and Pirlo all had different formations that they've use.

and as for your video- dont make me show you hours of video of the guy litterally standing there doing nothing while his whole team swarm after the ball- you tube is great isn’t it. People like you can find any snippet they want to back up a nonsense. Why yes Sviken-Ronaldo IS A hard working presser in each team he played for...are you really trying to make that point?
At this point I'm not even sure you know what you've been writing on your previous posts. Don't you know what you were arguing? You said Ronaldo was "above pressing' and "tracking back" and I proved to you in that video he was absolutely not. BUT NOW, there's a new chapter, now the debate is whether Ronaldo is a HARD working presser or something. Jesus...

It takes a really talented and gifted poster to write a paragraph disagreeing with a point only to actually agree with the point being made in the first instance. You are making my point for me...players come in to Peps teams and whatever their background they buy into the coaches vision and play a role for the team. My point was that Ronaldo would have to do that...that Pep wouldn’t be altering city’s approach to suit Ronaldo. Evidence of why that’s the case - Peps Bayern moved the most sought after striker in Europe out wide and as such he spent a whole season sharing goal scoring duties with the entire frontline. Lewandowski bought into Peps system. Conversely- Zidane sacrificed Benzema season after season to get the best out of Ronaldo(to devastating effect All the same)only for Benzema and others to start scoring again once Ronny left...exact same at Juventus...Juve’s goal scoring potency stayed the same except Ronaldo became the main goal scorer- both evidence that the coaches changed their approach to maximise Ronaldo’s contribution and he duly delivered. Hell even former team mates of his have spoken of this trade off for having Ronaldo in your team and the fact that it’s not all positive...are you saying you know more about how Ronaldo has been integrated into teams better than his own team mates Sviken? Really? for him to play in a Pep team he would need to adapt and while he is clearly of the ability to do so...I don’t see evidence of that in the last7 or 8 years.
No... again, that wasn't your point. Read your own posts again and what the original argument was about. You weren't arguing whether Ronaldo can adapt to a Pep's team, you were arguing CAN Pep adapt to Ronaldo and concluded with a resounding "no", which is absolute nonsense. Again, you have no recollection of what you said less than a day ago, so try and read it. I don't know what your point is at this point, but of course Ronaldo would have to adapt to Pep. Small thing to note is that usually works both ways, but I'm not gonna open that can of worms with you because you're going to take me into another rabbit hole and I don't want that. Your whole point thus far is moot.

But let's discuss Real. So Real have started scoring once he's left... to what end? They have won the league only 1 time since then, losing it to the worst Barca team in a long while and then to Atletico. In the CL they haven't been pulling any trees either - getting knocked in the first knockout by a young Ajax, not even topping their group the next year before being knocked out again in the first round before finally reaching the semis with Zidane's black magic, but easily dispatched by Chelsea.

Juve, too early to say, but they've been abysmal ever since he left. Sliding down the table at ever faster race, Chiesa and Dybala aren't scoring shit, the whole team looks a mess. Where is this imaginary Juve's goal scoring potency you're harping about?

“That’s speculation” ...will you give it a rest? I said it’s my opinion...I said “I think”. There is no evidence of Ronaldo adapting to anything or evidence of him not adapting...at least none that you can say is definitive. We are giving our opinions based on what we have seen...I have seen teams make Ronaldo the focal point where as I have seen other amazing players (Lewandowski, De Bruyne, Salah, Mane, Aguero etc) all be integrated into an existing style and adapting to that style. Everywhere Ronaldo has gone the team has adapted to him...so integrating him into a high press team, while not impossible, would be something new to him at this point in his career. It’s a simple point and I have wasted too much of my Sunday morning on you. Have a good one.
No, there is plenty of evidence, you just have no idea what you're talking about. Ronaldo adapted to Jose's approach, Ronaldo has adapted to Ferguson's approach, he has adapted to Zidane and Ancelotti's. Same way they have adapted to him. That's usually how it works between managers and players.

So... let me get this straight... you think Lewandowski, De Bruyne and Salah are not the focal point of their teams? Oh wow, I've heard it all.