Rangnick's January Window

Scholsey2004

Selling Pogba and Lingard before they could walk on a free would have been a decent start. Why would players look for good moves when it’s obvious we will just fumble around and let them off to run their deals down.

quids in

Club is majorly inefficient and clearly a soft touch
I actually think we create this problem by constantly telling players they have an important role and will get more games when they simply wont and waving huge wages at them. It encourages players to waste their careers and it costs us a lot of money for no real gain. Even in terms of training matches you dont need such a huge squad, thats what your under 23's/Reserves should be for really.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I actually think we create this problem by constantly telling players they have an important role and will get more games when they simply wont and waving huge wages at them. It encourages players to waste their careers and it costs us a lot of money for no real gain. Even in terms of training matches you dont need such a huge squad, thats what your under 23's/Reserves should be for really.
I agree. The word was Ole was cultivating a big squad because of covid. A big unhappy out of form squad. I’d rather use the youth. At least they can gain value and sporadic minutes might stand to them or even prove to be their breakthrough.

Scholsey2004

Expecting nothing from this window. Unless Ralf knows 100% who will replace him and can read his mind as to who he wants at the club.
I think we need a DM irrespective of who comes in. We were certainly looking for one before Solskjaer left and nothing much has changed since then numbers wise. Matic is still past it and Pogba is still leaving. Other than that i'd agree in the main. We frequently sign players for the last manager.

allen7

Our squad is bloated and needs clear out in the upcoming windows before we sign anyone.
We are simply paying mata, martial, pogba, lingard these players on paper are decent ones still they couldn’t find game time with us.

With sufficient funds, we can go for quality signings with a plan.

Marquee Moon

I'm going to agree with the majority on this one. The first thing we need to do is clear the decks.
As the great Lao Tzu said: With few there is attainment, with much there is confusion.

Ogaranya

We need a midfielder signing in January, an aggressive defensive midfielder and then recall james garner from loan.

The signing should be more of a shrewd signing inorder to get players that want to play out their heart for the club, enough of overpriced players and their drama plus media pressure

My pick is Boubacar Kamara, bissouma, tchouameni or kessie for the DM role (even though bissouma and kessie are more of a defensive conscious B2B)
They are both very cheap priced to get in january.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I understand the point youre making but realistically Phil Jones isnt a proffessional footballer now any more than i am. The new contract was crazy.
Something forgotten; the new contract was given when he was fit, an active member of the first team squad and an England squad regular

People saying we need to clear out the decks before signing someone which is spot on but issue is that nobody is explaining how we can do that. Look at Pogba and Martial, we can’t even get rid of them because their wages are so high. Even if people were interested, they can’t afford them.

There’s a whole list Mata, Matic, Lingard, Pereria and many more. Nobody wants them except our board and they don’t want to move because they simply can’t get better wages elsewhere. The board have gotten us in this mess but are not prepared to write off the money and invest their own money to fix their mistakes so the reality is that Man Utd have to take the full financial impact of the Boards bad decisions. This is why we will never ever overtake Man City again. If they make a mistake then they can just throw money at it until it’s fixed because their owners want to win.

If we don’t make 4th then I can see some really bad years ahead, no chance of challenging for anything except the league cup for the significant future.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Pay average players the salaries of top players and suffer the consequences. That's us in a nutshell.

Not a single club in world football, with the possible exception of Barca, who overpay their players quite like we do. That's why we can never get rid of anyone.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wasn't the main problem at this football club. The owners and board are and continue to be. None of them have a clue how to run a successful football team. All they understand is making money. Until that changes we will forever be in the shadows like we were in the 70's and 80's.

GreatDane

We need some leaders in the squad. Some who will work hard and kick the asses of those who wont.

UTD_Since_1978

A lot of noise from Argentinian media talking about alvarez to united becoming a reality, interested to see how this pans out.
Instead of getting Haaland? No thank you! Now, if Haaland doesn't join UTD then yeah Alvarez as another option, that's OK, but Haaland must be our main target when it comes to buying a new striker.

croadyman

Instead of getting Haaland? No thank you! Now, if Haaland doesn't join UTD then yeah Alvarez as another option, that's OK, but Haaland must be our main target when it comes to buying a new striker.
Sadly I am convinced Haaland is City bound with the money they got from selling Torres

MrSingh2002

One combative passmaster in midfield.

One mobile dictator of tempo in midfield

We only need Rodri and De Bruyne.

Should be easy.

Blood Mage

A DM is a must if we want to clinch 4th, look at the difference Matic made tonight but he can't play every game.

croadyman

A DM is a must if we want to clinch 4th, look at the difference Matic made tonight but he can't play every game.
Totally agree but worrying that Ralf seems to suggest there is not much business planned for January, then again that could be to keep the fringe players on board

Dante

Average bang
In terms of bang for buck, the easiest quick fix would be an attacking RWB who can bring balance to the 4-2-2-2.

A new CM was more of a priority in Ole's 4-2-3-1. It's still a position that needs improving. But the emphasis has shifted under Rangnick's new system.

I think if Trippier is available, he's the most obvious one to go for.

Given that Rangnick is only an interim manager, the board would never sanction a January signing based on a whim. So any January transfer target would need to be a player that's previously been vetted by the club's scouting system.Trippier is the most likely to fill that slot.

If we can't get him, I'd look into bringing back Laird. Dalot brings as many weaknesses to the table as AWB. I don't think you can rely on either of the current options for half a season.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I think for January we need a midfielder, someone in the Bissouma mould would be ideal.

Try and claw some money in for Lingard and Pogba - if we get close to £30m for them that’d be good business.

432JuanMata

Both post above are what I feel we need. For 4-2-2-2 to work you need great attacking full backs(shaw showed it in the 1st half) and the 2 CM have to dominate.
RB and CM we really lack quality so it’s killing our system

Yagami

Good post resistant
We seriously lack control and composure.

Arthur is 99% leaving Juventus in January. Arsenal are looking the most likely to get him. He has his flaws but I think we should be in for him. His press resistance would be a massive bonus to have in a team filled with too many lightweights.

JustinC00

Haaland isn't coming here. The quicker people accept this, the quicker they can get over it.

Hester_manc

If possible - a number 6. But I do not have an idea, who is realistic (and of course good enough) to buy in that position in the winter window. Besides that, I would like us to buy Andreas Christensen from Chelsea. He is out of contract next summer and is therefore a realistic transfer. He has a much better technic than any of our central defenders and will not make the same type of mistakes, as we saw Bailly do yesterday. Christensen is, in my eyes, one of the most underrated defenders right now.

JustinC00

This side need a lot of quality in many areas unfortunately

Only areas that need it are RB and CM

Team would transform with even a decent RB that can help in attack and do a job in defending. Drop a CM into the lineup that has the ability to control the middle and doesn't wilt under the press

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
If possible - a number 6. But I do not have an idea, who is realistic (and of course good enough) to buy in that position in the winter window. Besides that, I would like us to buy Andreas Christensen from Chelsea. He is out of contract next summer and is therefore a realistic transfer. He has a much better technic than any of our central defenders and will not make the same type of mistakes, as we saw Bailly do yesterday. Christensen is, in my eyes, one of the most underrated defenders right now.
That‘s a good shout. Rate Christensen and think he’s got a lot more development in him.

Shark

@NotShark
A Matic replacement is essential. If he wants control we bloody well need a midfielder with passing range and defensive attributes.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah I'd agree the key is a Matic replacement. Big, strong, quick and a good passing range seems like a tough brief to fill though.

croadyman

A Matic replacement is essential. If he wants control we bloody well need a midfielder with passing range and defensive attributes.
Yeah not sure we should wait until the summer either, priority for then should be a baller like De Jong I reckon.

Seven Seas Sardines

Just as I thought......Ralf will spend the rest of the season with the existing squad and there will be no incomings which is really pretty obvious with him being an interim manager and we will see what happens in the summer;
https://www.skysports.com/football/...cristiano-ronaldo-bruno-fernandes-partnership
He's saying it's too early because we need players to leave first. No way in hell we'd sell i.e Martial, VDB, Mata, Lingard and Pogba and then not even strengthen with one midfielder..

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Why are so many wanting Bissouma when he's wrapped up in a sexual assault case?

Might as well get somebody else so we don't need to worry about the outcome of the investigation

Ogaranya

We can't get haaland unless we are manipulated to pay over £120m plus a huge salary.

People should accept the fact that we currently no longer have the appeal to attract world class players except we overpay for them.

croadyman

We need a midfielder signing in January, an aggressive defensive midfielder and then recall james garner from loan.

The signing should be more of a shrewd signing inorder to get players that want to play out their heart for the club, enough of overpriced players and their drama plus media pressure

My pick is Boubacar Kamara, bissouma, tchouameni or kessie for the DM role (even though bissouma and kessie are more of a defensive conscious B2B)
They are both very cheap priced to get in january.
Bissouma won't move with this case hanging over him, in regards to Tchouameni & Kessie they have been more linked to Chelsea and the scousers

buchansleftleg

I'd love the club to just pay off certain contracts and clear the decks, writing off any losses as a last "covid exceptional" expense and just get rid of those players not upto the task.

Taking the hit now and clearing the decks of the dross would send out the right message to players and agents. Come to United to work hard, express yourself and be adored by fervent fans, whatever your age.

I'd take us having to blood some younger players as interim measures over continuing to have mediocrity sitting around the club being rewarded for half arsed running around in training.