Rank Buffon, Casillas and Neuer

tentan

Poor man's poster.
The three greatest goalkeepers for the past 20 years or so.

For me

1. Neuer
2. Buffon
3. Casillas

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Neuer
Buffon (likely an all-time top-2)
———
———
Casillas (a great keeper)

RedCurry

It obviously depends on the era you are talking about. Sure, Neuer is a better ball player than the other two, but he also plays in the era where goalkeepers are expected to do so. In their respective generations, I would say:

Buffon
Neuer
Casillas

Mr Smith

1. Buffon: has a legitimate case for best of all time in his position considering peak + longevity;
2. Neuer: revolutionised his position and influenced subsequent keepers, which would make him number one but for a prolonged dip in form later in his career;
3. Casillas: was amazing for a decade, but his peak probably passed him sooner than it should have.

Cloud7

Neuer
Buffon
Casillas

Neuer is genuinely the best keeper I've ever seen in my life. Man was imperious at the basic goalkeeping stuff like shot stopping, claiming crosses etc., he still remains the best sweeper keeper I've seen and he was good on the ball

Matt007a

Neuer changed the way goalkeeping was played. He took the sweeper keeper role to new levels and basically made it the norm for goalkeepers to be able to play with their feet and start on the edge of their own box ready to sweep up.

There were sweeper keepers before him sure but none of them revolutionised the position like he has. He was also a monster shot stopper who dominated in the air.

Buffon would be next for his longevity at the highest level. He was a great shot stopper but also commanded the box well. Super reliable and calm player who very rarely made mistakes.

Casillas a distant third. He was an incredible shot stopper but he had weaknesses to his game elsewhere and peaked young. A bit like De Gea.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Casillas doesn't really belong in that tier. It's between Buffon and Neuer.

kaku06

Neuer - Awe inspiring + More than a keeper.
Buffon - As perfect as a keeper can be.

Casillas - Excellent.

Casillas was very good but should never be compared with the likes of Buffon and Neuer. Easily 2 or 3 levels below.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Buffon
Neuer
Casillas

I think Buffon has a legitimate case for the best of all time. And Casillas is some ways below the other two.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
  • Legitimate “Greatest of all time” contenders: Manuel Neuer (highest peak and the most complete skill set), Lev Yashin (primordial deity, unsurpassed for decades), Gianluigi Buffon (best pure stopper, with incredible longevity).
  • Top 7-8 since the 1990s: Iker Casillas; below the likes of the aforementioned duo, Oliver Kahn, Peter Schmeichel, Edwin van der Sar.
Casillas was an outstanding player, but Neuer and Buffon are the Beckenbauer and Baresi of the goalkeeping realm — simply in a class of their own.

Enigma_87

You know who
Buffon
Neuer
Casillas
This.

never really rated Cadillacs all that high. Excellent shot stopper but that was about it. Once his physical peak passed his form nosedived and he wasn’t able to adapt, usually not a good sign for a quality keeper that can prolong his career.

TheLord

Neuer: revolutionized sweeper-keeping; hoardes of titles; more talented than anyone before him; GOAT
Buffon: revolutionized the definition of peak longevity; supremely talented; hoardes of titles; generational
Casillas: didn't do anything better than the above two; great keeper and captain who played for long periods in great Real Madrid sides.

These are the three best keepers of the last 30 years, without a shadow of any doubt.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Buffon > the other two. (For me) he’s quite simply the GOAT, I rank him above Yashin, Schmeichel and Kahn. The best shot stopper of all time and over the longest period of time. A vocal commander of the box, big game player, much loved captain and leader of men. Fecking legend.

Neuer was ahead of the curve with his skills on the deck, an OG sweeper ‘keeper.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Neuer: revolutionized sweeper-keeping; hoardes of titles; more talented than anyone before him; GOAT
Buffon: revolutionized the definition of peak longevity; supremely talented; hoardes of titles; generational
Casillas: didn't do anything better than the above two; great keeper and captain who played for long periods in great Real Madrid sides.

These are the three best keepers of the last 30 years, without a shadow of any doubt.
Casillas Vs Schmeichel is not even a contest. Casillas is nowhere near the level you seem to be claiming. 2 or 3 world class years do not a world class keeper make. If they did then Oblak would still be a better keeper than Casillas and perhaps De Gea too.

Idxomer

Neuer is slightly better than Buffon.

Casillas isn't on the same level, a lot of other keepers have reached his level in the last 20 years.

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
I believe Neuer was the third best player of this generation, behind Messi and Ronaldo. His peak state was arguably between 2011-2016, before he broke his leg or knee, and he had another great season under Flick, which made it possible for Bayern to win the second treble.
Other Ballon d'Or contenders aside from these three, only peaked for 1 to maximum 3 seasons. ~(Lewandowski, Neymar, Suarez, Bale, Benzema, Xavi, Robben, Ribery, Modric, Buffon, Iniesta, Kaka and others)~

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It obviously depends on the era you are talking about. Sure, Neuer is a better ball player than the other two, but he also plays in the era where goalkeepers are expected to do so. In their respective generations, I would say:

Buffon
Neuer
Casillas
The irony of that statement is of course that sweeper keepers having become the norm is in no small part because of Neuer himself.

Oranges038

In the last 20 years keepers I'd definitely put above Casillas.

Neuer
Buffon
Kahn
Cech
VDS
Courtois

Olmer

Neuer at his peak was also a beast at 1v1 situations.
In fact, watching him regularly convinced me that 1v1 situation is far from being free goal and made me stop condemning every offensive player for every missed 1v1.

Hughes35

If we're talking just peak performances:

1. Neuer
2. Buffon
3. Casillas (Quite a way behind)

if we are talking longevity at the top level.

1. Buffon
2. Neuer
3. Casillas (Quite a way behind)

Buffon V Neuer is a bit like Giggs V Bale. it depends if you value peak ability or longevity at high level more.

jm99

I believe Neuer was the third best player of this generation, behind Messi and Ronaldo. His peak state was arguably between 2011-2016, before he broke his leg or knee, and he had another great season under Flick, which made it possible for Bayern to win the second treble.
Other Ballon d'Or contenders aside from these three, only peaked for 1 to maximum 3 seasons. ~(Lewandowski, Neymar, Suarez, Bale, Benzema, Xavi, Robben, Ribery, Modric, Buffon, Iniesta, Kaka and others)~
I'd say xavi and iniesta were both at a very high level for longer than 3 seasons, modric certainly has been but yeah neuer as a goalkeeper is generally lower down the lists than his ability should have him, but I don't think he's better than xavi either

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Buffon, unlike Casillas actually adopted himself to modern football needs, and changed his game even in his late thirties, wheres Casillas was pretty much done when he was 32-33(if I remember well). Pretty much like de Gea.

Conor

It obviously depends on the era you are talking about. Sure, Neuer is a better ball player than the other two, but he also plays in the era where goalkeepers are expected to do so.
Neuer brought about that era.

Mainoldo

Is there a reason for Casillas. Most overrated keeper since DDG.

Buffon
Neuer

Casillias

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Neuer at the top. Neuer vs Big Pete would be a better question.

Battle of the massive mad cnuts that led the way for other keeper to be….massive mad cnuts

Afganitia

Supports
Girona
Mah god. Casillas is mad underrated in this forum. Like people think he has got the most world XI appearances by chance or something (for a gk).

Even in the IFFHS has the three of them tied in best gk of the year award (still think this prize is no good, but anyway).

Casillas
Neuer
Buffon

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Casillas was a very good goalkeeper for a long time but I don't think you could ever make a credible argument for him as a Ballon D'Or winner in a given year the way you could for Buffon in 03 or 06 or especially Neuer from 2012-2014

xtal191

Buffon - in terms of pure gk ability, shot stopping etc
Neuer - better on the ball than Buffon, but weaker in all other aspects
Casillas - third best
The only correct answer, don't get me wrong Neuer was a fantastic goalkeeper, def in the top 10 ever but Buffon is arguably the greatest of all time