Rank Buffon, Casillas and Neuer

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Casillas is a distint third for many people. Do Spanish/Real Madrid fans here think he's being underrated when people say he wasn't as important for those teams?

Based Adnan

Casillas had clear fundamental weaknesses to his game. I think if he'd played in the PL he'd have struggled as he wasn't the best in the air. Top class keeper still but Neuer and Buffon (in that order) are clear for me.

Schmeichel=God

Off your head to put Casillas in the same conversation.

Its tangerines and clementines between these two, but I go for Buffon. Might be a nostalgic link to the era Serie A trumped all with incredible Italian legends in the game. Yet Buffon's presence and leadership and longevity, despite the lack of sweeping has his status more memorable in my opinion.

Buffon
Neuer
Kahn
Schmeichel
Cech
Van der Sar
Prime De Gea
Prime Courtois
Prime Casillas

Might be brutal, but it's all about opinions.

tomaldinho1

Brad Friedel in any game versus United
Buffon
Neuer
Kahn
Schmeichel
Cech
Van der Sar
De Gea
Courtois
Casillas
Fixed this

Be interested where people put someone like Allisson in this list? I'd say he's comfortably been the best PL keeper for a while, would he go into the Courtois, DDG, Casillas bracket? I'd probably say yes,

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
1. Buffon in his prime
2. Cassilas
3. Neuer

All of them were / are amazing, to be fair

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Casillas is a distint third for many people. Do Spanish/Real Madrid fans here think he's being underrated when people say he wasn't as important for those teams?
I am not sure it qualifies as "underrating" when he is being compared to Neuer and Buffon. Being not as good as those two will still makes you a great keeper.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
The thing about Casillas is, that the one thing I will always remember him for, is making that insanely funny wrong throw in.

JediSith

Wait... what?! You are certainly wumming? :lol:
:lol: Unusual take I know. But when I first started seeing him he was at Shalke, (I think) and it was in the CL usually against bigger teams where they’d lose quite comprehensively. I never noticed anything about his shot stopping in those matches. Even when we were linked with him and played his team nothing really stood.

I suppose, imo, he’s a keeper who plays great when he is in a great team. So to United & the scouts back then they would have seen him in the budasliga when Shalke were a top 2-4 team and for most league matches he would have been very good. But for me only seeing him play vs superior teams I didn’t notice anything.

The_Midfielder

The thing about Casillas is, that the one thing I will always remember him for, is making that insanely funny wrong throw in.
That save from Robben in the world cup final ?
Don't you remember that..
Almost the same save as Emi Martinez vs Kolo Muani

Withnail

:lol: Unusual take I know. But when I first started seeing him he was at Shalke, (I think) and it was in the CL usually against bigger teams where they’d lose quite comprehensively. I never noticed anything about his shot stopping in those matches. Even when we were linked with him and played his team nothing really stood.

I suppose, imo, he’s a keeper who plays great when he is in a great team. So to United & the scouts back then they would have seen him in the budasliga when Shalke were a top 2-4 team and for most league matches he would have been very good. But for me only seeing him play vs superior teams I didn’t notice anything.

I'm sort on the same page. I've never really rated Neuer but judging by everyone else's opinions I've read maybe I've not watched him enough and that horror show against us has definitely coloured my opinion of him.

troylocker

Casillas, was obviously a great keeper in his own right but I never felt there was a point where he was genuinely part of the conversation as the best in the world because of his own abilities, which is crazy given how long he played for Madrid and the fact you need to be the best in the world to play for them.
...you could also take into consideration that he captained Spain through 2 EURO wins and a WC win in addition to his 16 years (8 as captain) for Real Madrid.....

To those of you reacting to me claiming Neuer is being phased out at Bayern. He is first choice, but he's not been his old self since returning from serious injuries the last couple of seasons. His goals conceded vs. expected goals conceded record this season is bad (-30%), his save percentage is bottom 16 percentile in Europe the last year, he is bottom 43 percentile for "shots on target xG" vs. goals conceded and he is bottom 5 percentile for crosses allowed in his own box. With numbers like that you will cost your team points in the short and long run. He is not the GK he was.

Revan

Assumptionman
Fixed this

Be interested where people put someone like Allisson in this list? I'd say he's comfortably been the best PL keeper for a while, would he go into the Courtois, DDG, Casillas bracket? I'd probably say yes,
I do not think that his shot-stopping (while being excellent) had been as good as peak De Gea's, but he is much better in the air, at passing, and sweeping. So, I think overall he should be at least in De Gea's group, and more likely higher than that. I would have him probably leading the group of the likes of De Gea, ter Stegen, Oblak and Courtouis, whom next to Neuer have been the best keepers in the last 10-15 years. But probably still below Casillas (purely because of lack of trophies in comparison), and quite below Neuer/Buffon.

If he had won a couple more trophies, I think he could have had a very good claim as the best ever in EPL.

Revan

Assumptionman
...you could also take into consideration that he captained Spain through 2 EURO wins and a WC win in addition to his 16 years (8 as captain) for Real Madrid.....

To those of you reacting to me claiming Neuer is being phased out at Bayern. He is first choice, but he's not been his old self since returning from serious injuries the last couple of seasons. His goals conceded vs. expected goals conceded record this season is bad (-30%), his save percentage is bottom 16 percentile in Europe the last year, he is bottom 43 percentile for "shots on target xG" vs. goals conceded and he is bottom 5 percentile for crosses allowed in his own box. With numbers like that you will cost your team points in the short and long run. He is not the GK he was.
Well, he is 37, coming from a long injury. Of course he is not the keeper he was.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Many peaked but hardly anyone can say that has been at the top from 16yrs old for 20years
If he moved elsewhere he could've won more internationally

G3079

Supports
Nobody in particular
As was already pointed out, the man is 37 and came back from an injury that took him out for over 300 days. Of course his stats will suck.

But more importantly, you're somehow trying to argue one thing with an entirely different thing. So his stats are bad. So what? That still doesn't mean he's getting phased out. He's still getting every game, and Bayern has let the last window go by without buying a potential replacement when that would have been the prime moment to look for one. Ulreich certainly won't be his successor, being barely any younger. Peretz almost certainly won't rise any higher than #2 at Bayern either. Maybe Bayern will look for a replacement next summer, it is quite likely since Nuebel certainly seems to be very much against returning to Bayern. But that is in the future. Right now, in the present, there is nothing supporting your claim that he is being phased out.

Rossa

I do not think that his shot-stopping (while being excellent) had been as good as peak De Gea's, but he is much better in the air, at passing, and sweeping. So, I think overall he should be at least in De Gea's group, and more likely higher than that. I would have him probably leading the group of the likes of De Gea, ter Stegen, Oblak and Courtouis, whom next to Neuer have been the best keepers in the last 10-15 years. But probably still below Casillas (purely because of lack of trophies in comparison), and quite below Neuer/Buffon.

If he had won a couple more trophies, I think he could have had a very good claim as the best ever in EPL.
I think Allisson is an odd one. He's brilliant one on one - but DDG in his prime was also great at this, then turned to complete crap in those situations. His shot stopping is, as you say, top level, but not elite as DDG in his prime, or Schmeichel for instance. He's good with his feet, but far from brilliant. He makes so many mistakes and is incredibly lucky to get away with it. Wasn't it last season where he made a poor touch against United, then fumbled and clearly fouled our player only not to get a penalty against him? I mean, he tries to play out like Ederson, but he's just not close to that level, and why he hasn't been penalised more for it I do not know.

He's genuinly the best goalie in the league though, and he may or may not be ahead of DDG, but Chech, Van Der Sar, Schmeichel, Seaman are clearly ahead, imo.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think Allisson is an odd one. He's brilliant one on one - but DDG in his prime was also great at this, then turned to complete crap in those situations. His shot stopping is, as you say, top level, but not elite as DDG in his prime, or Schmeichel for instance. He's good with his feet, but far from brilliant. He makes so many mistakes and is incredibly lucky to get away with it. Wasn't it last season where he made a poor touch against United, then fumbled and clearly fouled our player only not to get a penalty against him? I mean, he tries to play out like Ederson, but he's just not close to that level, and why he hasn't been penalised more for it I do not know.

He's genuinly the best goalie in the league though, and he may or may not be ahead of DDG, but Chech, Van Der Sar, Schmeichel, Seaman are clearly ahead, imo.
Were they actually better than De Gea? I think De Gea is harmed for having spent his entire career in awful teams, but he was genuinely brilliant in his prime. He won 5 PFA keeper of the year awards, by far a record.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Simply not as good as the other two. Especially Neuer. I agree with most:

Neuer
Buffon
Casillas

Righteous Steps

Seaman? In what aspect, I think it’s easier to just look at older players and say they were better, the only ones I could say were outright better were Schmeichel and Cech, what qualities do they possess that were better than Alisson overall, in regards to the others?

Also in regards to errors all these keepers at one point in their career were error prone, probably apart from Van Der Saar but the errors a player whos still currently playing sticks in your mind more than the errors of a player who retired more than 10 years ago.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Were they actually better than De Gea? I think De Gea is harmed for having spent his entire career in awful teams, but he was genuinely brilliant in his prime. He won 5 PFA keeper of the year awards, by far a record.
Cech was definitely better before the head injury, but that was only for two years. Before that point Schmeichel's claim of being the best in PL history really did look like it was under threat. After Cech returned from the injury he was still good but never really got close to that level again.

The issue with rating De Gea is that he had five or six years where he was literally one of greatest of all time in one aspect of goalkeeping (shot-stopping), but even then he was poor at pretty much every other aspect. It really does make it difficult to know how to rank him against these other keepers who weren't as good at that one thing but who were better at pretty much everything else. De Gea's last five years also seriously hurt his legacy.

JediSith

I'm sort on the same page. I've never really rated Neuer but judging by everyone else's opinions I've read maybe I've not watched him enough and that horror show against us has definitely coloured my opinion of him.
Someone posted his highlights of the first leg vs us.

I admit from that he’s clearly good at distribution, dealing with crosses etc most the saves in that are saves you’d expect him to make and looked like poor finishing. But it’s possible my judgement of him was biased by watching Shalke games which were the the equivalent of watching United vs Barca CL 2011.

If this site was around back then would be interesting to see the opinion of him before we got linked to him .

KeanoMagicHat

Cech was definitely better before the head injury, but that was only for two years. Before that point Schmeichel's claim of being the best in PL history really did look like it was under threat. After Cech returned from the injury he was still good but never really got close to that level again.

The issue with rating De Gea is that he had five or six years where he was literally one of greatest of all time in one aspect of goalkeeping (shot-stopping), but even then he was poor at pretty much every other aspect. It really does make it difficult to know how to rank him against these other keepers who weren't as good at that one thing but who were better at pretty much everything else. De Gea's last five years also seriously hurt his legacy.
Cech had some mediocre seasons after the injury, particularly at the end of his career. He's actually quite comparable to De Gea, funnily enough both would be close to or winning Golden Gloves while a lot of fans thought they were liabilities. If De Gea's last five years hurt his legacy, then the same applies to some of Cech's performances.

I also think some of the weaker parts of De Gea's game deteriorated. The biggest issue for him was command of the area, which was never outstanding compared to the likes of Neuer/Schmeichel. But for example passing, I remember it being fine, more than serviceable and on the right trajectory in the mid-2010s, he was much better than he was last season. As well as consistency and shot stopping, seems all aspects of his game declined.

Last edited:

lex talionis

Buffon
Neuer
Casillas

All brilliant keepers, quite obviously, but it's hard to believe a single person on the planet would not have Buffon at the top of this list. Not "by a mile" over Neuer, but by same distance Neuer > Casillas, who of course was brilliant.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Buffon
Neuer
Casillas

All brilliant keepers, quite obviously, but it's hard to believe a single person on the planet would not have Buffon at the top of this list. Not "by a mile" over Neuer, but by same distance Neuer > Casillas, who of course was brilliant.
It's just a case of everyone yapping about distributive tekkers as much as defensive wingers, fullbacks that become midfielders and whatnot.

For 100 years Buffon would be comfortably the best, for the last 15 in a certain type of side and system, Neuer gets lots of hipster points.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Cech had some mediocre seasons after the injury, particularly at the end of his career. He's actually quite comparable to De Gea, funnily enough both would be close to or winning Golden Gloves while a lot of fans thought they were liabilities. If De Gea's last five years hurt his legacy, then the same applies to some of Cech's performances.
Possibly. I didn't watch that much of Cech in his later years, so perhaps he did drop to a similar level as later-day De Gea.

Lyricist

Neuer
Buffon
Casillas (still a legend obviously, but the other two were/are just so incredibly dominant)