Ranking of trophies in order of importance

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Champions League is the biggest trophy but its no good winning it if you don't win your domestic league to go with it.

Can't really call yourself champions of Europe if somebody finished above you in your own country.
So 1968 didn't count then?

Revan

Assumptionman
Only one I'd dispute is that the Europa League is more important than the FA Cup. A part of me can't shake the idea that the Europa League will always be a second-tier trophy. Tempted to view it in a better light now that a final awaits, sure, but the entire season has been bittersweet due to constantly reminding myself that the Champions League is the only place for United.
Europa League is a second tier trophy, no doubt there. But so is FA Cup and has been for a long time.

By Tiers, I would say:

Tier 1: UCL, EPL (absolute priorities)
Tier 2: Europa, FA (try to win if you have the chance, no harm in not winning them)
Tier 3: Clubs' World Cup, League Cup (nice to win if possible, if you don't win them none gives a shit)
Tier 4: European Supercup, Community Shield (friendly matches)

Rafateria

I really dislike European competition with all the seeding, draw, restrictions, and rich getting guaranteed places (and so many of them!), that I put them both below Premiership and FA Cup, which I still both love. League Cup is pretty meh, and easily at the bottom.
if you want to talk about rich look at the PL - Top 6 slots taken by Top 6 richest teams. Yes, Leicester topped it last year but that was an anomaly and can you really see anyone doing that again ? You have to go back to 1992 to find a team (Leeds, maybe) who didn't win it due to finances, even Blackburn in 1995 bought it. Then consider At. Madrid have made the CL final twice recently too so we can draw parallels as far as not being rich is concerned, and the most recent 'financially inferior' actual winner was Porto in 2004, but we've had 9 different winners since then.

Last edited:

Fener1907

In what way is the FA Cup not a second tier trophy?

Wenger is in his third final in four years after winning it two years in a row and nobody really cares. Van Gaal was sacked despite winning it for United. I honestly think it's barely more significant than the League Cup these days.
I didn't say it wasn't. In fact, I recently criticised it and do consider it to be one. That still doesn't take away from the Europa League being inherently inferior to the Champions League and officially being a second-tier trophy. When considering that United fans would always take an FA Cup but be discontent if they had to regularly compete for a trophy that is supposedly more important than the FA Cup, it makes me question if it really is more important.

I think it's being viewed far more favourably now that United are actually in a final.

Last edited:

Rafateria

Champions League is the biggest trophy but its no good winning it if you don't win your domestic league to go with it.

Can't really call yourself champions of Europe if somebody finished above you in your own country.
Of course you can because the tournament is an event unto itself. How you qualify is something else entirely but to win it you've (usually) beaten the beat teams in Europe so deserve to be called Champions of Europe, which you are.

Hamadovich86

The importance I think is relative to the club and how they are doing during the season like if we reach the CL quarter finals but realistically the other teams are better then I'd rather win the league. That being said this is how I would rank them.

Champions League
Premier League
Europa League (if the club has not qualified for the CL through the league otherwise domestic cup is above it)
FA Cup
Super Cup (its bigger for the EL winner)
Club world cup
League Cup
Community shield

For example, If we win the EL and face Real/Juve in Super Cup then hell yeah I want United to win it.

Oscie

For me it's just something that sticks in the craw.

"Better than any other team in Europe, except the 3 teams that finished above us domestically."

Of course winning the CL in any scenario means a lot but it doesn't mean as much as winning it at the same time as conquering your own domestic league. It goes from being something that gives a realistic determination of someone being the best side on the continent, with conquering home and abroad, into a European cup competition. Great to win but not as great in a season where you finish further down your own domestic league.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
if you want to talk about rich look at the PL - Top 6 slots taken by Top 6 richest teams. Yes, Leicester topped it last year but that was an anomaly and can you really see anyone doing that again ? You have to go back to 1992 to find a team (Leeds, maybe) who didn't win it due to finances, even Blackburn in 1995 bought it. Then consider At. Madrid have made the CL final twice recently too so we can draw parallels as far as not being rich is concerned, and the most recent 'financially inferior' actual winner was Porto in 2004, but we've had 9 different winners since then.
I probably messed that part, I don't mind much rich clubs, we are one. What I meant was that I mind top countries (where most of the rich clubs come from) getting so many places in CL, and from next season, guaranteed at that. But that's a lesser thing I don't like, and could live with it. I more hate country restrictions, and pretty much loathe seeding and draw with them. Not sure if that alternative would be *better*, but in theory excite me a hell of a more than current format.

stubie

FIFA World Club Cup
Champions League
Premier League
Europa League
Super Cup
FA Cup
League Cup

Only reason I've gone with FIFA world club cup is because you need to win the Champions League

Rafateria

I probably messed that part, I don't mind much rich clubs, we are one. What I meant was that I mind top countries (where most of the rich clubs come from) getting so many places in CL, and from next season, guaranteed at that. But that's a lesser thing I don't like, and could live with it. I more hate country restrictions, and pretty much loathe seeding and draw with them. Not sure if that alternative would be *better*, but in theory excite me a hell of a more than current format.
No doubt the CL is more exciting with more of the better teams from the better leagues in it but maybe a straight draw without seeding would be a lot more fun ! I agree, the current format is boring and predictable.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
One reason the Europa League is important this season, in my opinion, is the mentality that is needed to win it. We went into it as the favourites to win it and had a different expectation to what the majority of this squad are used to and definitely what this squad has been used to for the last 3 seasons.

There's a certain type of pressure to being the ones expected to win it and being expected to perform well and it's hopefully an experience they can use next season in the League.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Obviously the correct answer:

League Cup
Community Shield

Europa League

Champions League
Premier League

The rest

saivet

Europa League is a weird one as it's not a competition you strive to be in (big teams anyway). You're either in it as you were poor in the league the previous season or you did poorly in the CL groups.

If we were say set to finish 3rd in the league, which would you prefer, FA Cup or Europa?

Jimmyheals

PL (We give scousers so much crap for never winning because of this, despite their CL win)
CL (Pretty much equal to PL in importance)
FA Cup
EFL (moves up only if the team hasn't qualified for CL)
FA Trophy
The rest don't matter but to me, Community Shield is top among them in excitement, because it signals the start of a new campaign and it is fun to see the changes the team have made on the pitch.

AXVnee7

My personal opinion:

CL
League
FA Cup
EL
League Cup
Remaining honours (Super Cup, CWC, Community shield etc.)

simmee

FIFA World Club Cup
Champions League
Premier League
Europa League
Super Cup
FA Cup
League Cup

Only reason I've gone with FIFA world club cup is because you need to win the Champions League
Community shield should be bigger than premier league then?

prtk0811

The thing when Ucl prize money is like 60 m Pounds and Epl prize money is like 150 m Pounds, really makes it harder to decide the top 2. :D

Cloud7

Champions league

Premier league

Europa League

FA Cup

League Cup

The others

European football will always be the pinnacle for me.

lsd

The Oracle
FIFA World Club Cup
Champions League
Premier League
Europa League
Super Cup
FA Cup
League Cup

Yeah but i still wouldn't have it anywhere on that list bar the bottom..i know who won the champions league and watch it every year ..i couldn't tell you who won the world club cup who played in it where it was or anything about it and also wouldn't want to know

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
There's something about being the best in Europe that is very appealing to me. I would go with CL first, then Premier league, then FA cup. The rest are meh tbh.

United_We_Stand

So EPL being bigger than EL is unanimous here! And wait a minute, some have gone on to say than even FA cup is bigger than EL!

So a local elimination-system cup is more important than a round-robin/elimination-system continental cup!!!!! Ok I know the FA cup has always been overhyped in media because it's the oldest national football competition. But at the end of the day, It's still a local cup!!:rolleyes:

My ranking:

1st tier: CL

2nd tier: EPL, EL, FIFA club world cup

3rd tier: FA cup, UEFA super cup

4th tier: Community shield, league cup.

stevoc

Champions League
Premier League
Europa League
FA Cup-League Cup-Club World Cup
Super Cup
Charity Shield

Fener1907

So EPL being bigger than EL is unanimous here! And wait a minute, some have gone on to say than even FA cup is bigger than EL!

So a local elimination-system cup is more important than a round-robin/elimination-system continental cup!!!!! Ok I know the FA cup has always been overhyped in media because it's the oldest national football competition. But at the end of the day, It's still a local cup!!:rolleyes:
You sound like a shitty used car salesman. Yes, the FA Cup is arguably as important. I made my argument above, and throwing on extra exclamation marks to emphasise your point (!!!!) isn't really an argument to refute anything I've said.

manc exile

Supports
City

My ranking:

1st tier: CL

2nd tier: EPL, EL, FIFA club world cup

3rd tier: FA cup, UEFA super cup

4th tier: Community shield, league cup.
the community shield is about 10th tier if that. its a shitty little pre season game

and europa league is third tier

Oscie

FIFA World Club Cup
Champions League
Premier League
Europa League
Super Cup
FA Cup
League Cup

But that makes no sense given that you've not put the Community Shield third

SuperiorXI

Premier League
Champions League
FA Cup
Europa League
League Cup
Club World Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield

IMO domestic league should always be priority. If you win the CL but not your domestic league how can you call yourself a true champion? This is why the one Chelsea won carries a huge black mark for me.

FA cup above Europa league because it's historically more prestigious, Europa League is harder to win though.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Hard to rank the Europa League. If we win it, I think it will be bigger and more important than last year's FA Cup win purely because of what is at stake, however the actual competing in the Europa League from beginning to end has been pretty awful. It's just such a bloated competition that really needs to be streamlined, and whilst I want us to win it, I also don't want us to be in it again. I'd rather we had no European football than be in it in future.

On the flipide, an FA Cup run is hugely enjoyable, and winning the cup is great, even though the reward is fairly minimal. I want us to be in it and do well in it every season. So, as a fan, I see the FA Cup as more important.

Champions League > Premier League > FA Cup > Europa League > League Cup > The rest.

Super Cups are fairly meaningless.

United_We_Stand

You sound like a shitty used car salesman. Yes, the FA Cup is arguably as important. I made my argument above, and throwing on extra exclamation marks to emphasise your point (!!!!) isn't really an argument to refute anything I've said
Never mind my exclamation marks. We, shitty used car salesmen, have a thing for exclamation marks :lol:

So my argument is very simple, a local elimination competition vs. a continental competition (with both round-robin and elimination systems)! A local 5-game compeition vs. a continental 15-game competition. How can they be even in the same tier?

EyeInTheSky

Can someone tell me why a competition (EL)which:

• Pits you against European level opponents who compete for top places in their respective leagues
  • features teams who recently won their league
  • Has teams that were in the champions league and dropped down from it
  • Has a champions league place as the prize on top of the trophy

Is less important than a competition (FAC)which:

• Has non league teams in it
  • has very low league teams in it
  • Has been won by teams that have been relegated in the same season
  • has not champions league place available at the end of it
  • only has local historical significance/relevance because guess what other European teams and fans don't give a flying feck about it

Let me save you some time you cant...

manc exile

Supports
City

• Pits you against European level opponents who compete for top places in their respective leagues

• only has local historical significance/relevance because guess what other European teams and fans don't give a flying feck about it

to try not to sound like a red bin dipper, history

Fener1907

Never mind my exclamation marks. We, shitty used car salesmen, have a thing for exclamation marks :lol:

So my argument is very simple, a local elimination competition vs. a continental competition (with both round-robin and elimination systems)! A local 5-game compeition vs. a continental 15-game competition. How can they be even in the same tier?
Because one is officially considered to be inferior. Think about that - they actually rank the teams in it to be a level below. Even if a team wins it 3 times in a row like Sevilla did, they'd still prefer to be in the Champions League.

To reiterate my point, I'd take the FA Cup every season if I could, whereas I'd be discontent to be challenging for the Europa League because you're underperforming by virtue of not being capable of contending for the bigger prize. It's also worth pointing out that, whilst I'm no great lover of the FA Cup, it's a great disservice to label it a "local elimination competition." It's more a case of the world's most prestigious domestic cup vs. the ugly sister of the world's most prestigious continental cup.

jungledrums

Then don't fecking call yourself champions of Europe. Still bloody won an incredibly hard cup competition. What utterly ludicrous logic.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Club World Cup means you're the best in the world

Champions League means you're the best in Europe.

Premier League means you're the best in England.

For me... Club World Cup > Champions League > Premier League > FA Cup > Europa League > EFL Cup > Super Cup > Community Shield.

Of course, winning the Club World Cup is worthless unless you win the Champions League. Its basically the certification that you're the best in the world rather than just in Europe. Ideally, you would win the league and Champions League in the one season to truly cement yourself as the best.
Ay? The champions league is much harder to win, obviously. The club World Cup means feck all, so what if you can beat some shite team from Mexico or Brazil.

Cloud7

Europa League > Fa Cup

Cantona_Forever

I'm an objective guy so I'd go with .. (for this year only)

1. Europa Cup
2. League Cup
3. Community Shieled
4. Super Cup
5. Champion League
6. Club World Cup
7. FA Cup
8. Premiere League