Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I thought what Rangnick said about United’s injury record the other night was interesting. Liverpool play all the time and get very few injuries, but United never stop getting them. It must cost multi-millions a year and it puts players out of form so you’d think they’d try and get on top of it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I thought what Rangnick said about United’s injury record the other night was interesting. Liverpool play all the time and get very few injuries, but United never stop getting them. It must cost multi-millions a year and it puts players out of form so you’d think they’d try and get on top of it.
See our fitness coach and see their credentials.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
On topic of varane i think he's hampered by having to partner maguire. Teams ignored him and go through maguire all the time leaving him with no avenue to showcase his worth.

To be fair I'd instruct my team to double up on maguire, success almost guaranteed

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wasn’t Varane’s injury record similar at Madrid? Might explain why they were willing to move him on.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Ruben Dias 18 months ago is the infuriating one.
With the power hindsight, absolutely but at the time most here were rather content with Maguire and so were looking to replace Lindelof in the partnership.
Dias came out of nowhere as well so he wasn't on most people's radar and frankly we would have ruined him anyway.

Bondi77

Hasn't impressed so far and seems to be injured more often than not.
We will see what he is like next season as he won't have chmps lgue to worry about which should be a change for him.

flameinthesun

Back this weekend.

I have to say when he has played he's been good without being outstanding. So for the price we paid (£34mil) and the fact that hes probably played less than half the games available, it's been a poor first 11 signing. Hopefully he stays fit next season, but I doubt it. Although if we do buy a new CB then he's a good rotation option to provide competition.

SirAF

Ageist
He’s easily the best CB at the club, but as has been said his fitness is an issue. I hope Rangnick starts Varane with Lindelöf tomorrow.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Andy Mitten was suggesting that there is a reason Madrid were ok with letting him leave in the summer. Anyone know what he's hinting at? Too high wages?

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Wasn’t Varane’s injury record similar at Madrid? Might explain why they were willing to move him on.
He was injured a lot when he was younger. That cleared up a bit later in later years. Don’t think he’s the hardest-wearing player and will probably pick knocks up, but it’s more a general point

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Andy Mitten was suggesting that there is a reason Madrid were ok with letting him leave in the summer. Anyone know what he's hinting at? Too high wages?
Great servant, time for last big contract, they had younger guys coming through and they signed Alaba, and with Ramos also leaving it was time for a new CB partnership i guess.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nothing. Madrid tried to extend him since 2019 were it was already rumoured in France that he wanted to leave and experience something else, Madrid offered him an extension that he rejected.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Great servant, time for last big contract, they had younger guys coming through and they signed Alaba, and with Ramos also leaving it was time for a new CB partnership i guess.
Nothing. Madrid tried to extend him since 2019 were it was already rumoured in France that he wanted to leave and experience something else, Madrid offered him an extension that he rejected.
Cheers, I was hoping its not a Schweinsteiger situation where the club knew they were shifting a lemon for a decent change.

jesperjaap

With the power hindsight, absolutely but at the time most here were rather content with Maguire and so were looking to replace Lindelof in the partnership.
Dias came out of nowhere as well so he wasn't on most people's radar and frankly we would have ruined him anyway.
Must admit I thought he was over rated at Benfica a lot, jsut as Lindelof was ludicrously. Was right about the latter but definatel ywrogn about Dias.

For me personally was definatel not a case of being content with Maguire, more a case of I thought there were much better optiosn than Dias.

As for Varane, he is technically so good and always looke dto be so well drilled in his movement and body shape and passing. ALways felt there was a msitake in him and he can be bullied sometimes, I think Ramos covered that, he was never Rio Ferdinand for example....but after watching the documentary on him I was massivly impressed with his professionalism, belief and quiet leadership at Madrid.....I really thought we would benefit in the dressing room massively from that possibly more even than the quality defender he is, so surprised he hasnt had more of an effect there, but a) being injured so often hasnt helped b) so many weak players that appear problematic in the squad, quiet eladership probably isnt so effective

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Must admit I thought he was over rated at Benfica a lot, jsut as Lindelof was ludicrously. Was right about the latter but definatel ywrogn about Dias.

For me personally was definatel not a case of being content with Maguire, more a case of I thought there were much better optiosn than Dias.

As for Varane, he is technically so good and always looke dto be so well drilled in his movement and body shape and passing. ALways felt there was a msitake in him and he can be bullied sometimes, I think Ramos covered that, he was never Rio Ferdinand for example....but after watching the documentary on him I was massivly impressed with his professionalism, belief and quiet leadership at Madrid.....I really thought we would benefit in the dressing room massively from that possibly more even than the quality defender he is, so surprised he hasnt had more of an effect there, but a) being injured so often hasnt helped b) so many weak players that appear problematic in the squad, quiet eladership probably isnt so effective
I feel a lot of our problems just come back to be about being rotten in core , no matter how good you are you get ruined over here.
Hell who knows how Lindelof might be if had went to city ( i feel he's too physically weak but again that might have been compensated by other factors).
Thankfully we seem to be overhauling everything from ground up so hopefully we won't miss out on future diases.
And about Varane pretty much agree with you here (but no one's as good as our old rio:)) but yeah I won't call him a failure unless his injury woes continue into our next season, in which case I'll be very disappointed.

jesperjaap

I feel a lot of our problems just come back to be about being rotten in core , no matter how good you are you get ruined over here.
Hell who knows how Lindelof might be if had went to city ( i feel he's too physically weak but again that might have been compensated by other factors).
Thankfully we seem to be overhauling everything from ground up so hopefully we won't miss out on future diases.
And about Varane pretty much agree with you here (but no one's as good as our old rio:)) but yeah I won't call him a failure unless his injury woes continue into our next season, in which case I'll be very disappointed.
i watched Benfica a few times when Lindelof was there and he didnt impress me at all. I think he has actually been one of the very few players who has improved over the last season, but still so weak in certain areas. Seems to be one of the "be a good squda player" type mentions....I only think that as oru squad is so bad, we paid a lot for him again.

And yes, Varane this season we cant really judge, its been injury ridden, if it continues its a concern though as people are all still talking about "the right partner for Varane"...cant be if he is often injured. He is a quality defender no doubt, but the fan fare was a bit mad when he was paraded on the pitch....great suit though :)

Agree the last few seasons its hard for anyone to come into the dressing room or the dug out with this group....why is needs tearing up

Red the Bear

Something less generic
i watched Benfica a few times when Lindelof was there and he didnt impress me at all. I think he has actually been one of the very few players who has improved over the last season, but still so weak in certain areas. Seems to be one of the "be a good squda player" type mentions....I only think that as oru squad is so bad, we paid a lot for him again.

And yes, Varane this season we cant really judge, its been injury ridden, if it continues its a concern though as people are all still talking about "the right partner for Varane"...cant be if he is often injured. He is a quality defender no doubt, but the fan fare was a bit mad when he was paraded on the pitch....great suit though :)

Agree the last few seasons its hard for anyone to come into the dressing room or the dug out with this group....why is needs tearing up
Good times, shame how it all ended up :(

Sylar

Hes been a huge disappointment this season. Either injured and missing, or making mistakes. Hes turning 29 in a few days, you would hope under the new manager and structure, we will do well with him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Either Varane's lost it or he's sacking it off. Based on how he played earlier in the season I reckon its the latter. For the money we're paying him, I'm not sure we're getting what we expected. Would we be worse off having spent a fraction of the cost in wages and fees for another player? I'm not sure. We're going to finish comfortably midtable and its tough to say a £15-£20m centre back couldn't have also come in and played in a team that finished midtable.

el3mel

We can still cash on him in summer. Maybe PSG will be interested? They like these kind of players.

Roboc7

Worth offloading in the summer if anyone is interested, 29 soon and I unusually for a CB I think his peak years have already been and gone.

Bobski

Top teams don't sell or move on players by choice for no reason. We saw this with Sanchez, with Matic and we are seeing it with Varane, he can still have excellent games but his prime is a few years ago and it is not coming back.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
I have to admit I did question what people saw in his to be described as a world class defender but thought I must have been missing the obvious as everyone seems to think he’s world class. He looks like how he’s always looked, a decent but nothing special sort of defender.

mu4c_20le

First game after being out for awhile and I don't remember him being too bad. Made lots of clearances for us.

lsd

The Oracle
Good to have him back and hopefully will be nice to see him build a partnership with Lindelof

Status
Not open for further replies.