Supports
AIK Stockholm
4x Champions League winner
4x Super Cup winner
3x La liga winner
1x World Cup winner
1x Nations League winner

….On the bench?
I wonder if he have any respect at all for our captain. Im confused AF!

El-Manos

Why do I feel like he never starts or is unavailable in the games we get a mauling.

Moral of the story, he is by far our best CB even if he's out of form and his mere presence will at least prevent a total collapse.
Agreed. Needs to start when fit

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Should always be the first name in defence when fit, which isn't always unfortunately.

We need to forget this left footed business and just go with Varane and Maguire next game.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
4x Super Cup winner
3x La liga winner
1x World Cup winner
1x Nations League winner

….On the bench?
Apparently his fitness is being managed

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Incredibly knee-jerk. He gave us what we need when he came in, fair play to him.

We are equally crap with him though. He is poor on the ball, over commits a lot of the time. Can see him starting against Liverpool and making silly mistakes again, and get injured.

Lyng

Should always be the first name in defence when fit, which isn't always unfortunately.

We need to forget this left footed business and just go with Varane and Maguire next game.
Maguire and De Gea are the main issues right now.
Last season the only time we had a semi decent defense was when Lindelöf and Varane where partners.
It doesn't matter who we partner Maguire with, his terrible positioning and erratic behaviour will make every other CB turn to crap. Give Varane a shot with Martinez and get a new keeper.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Apparently his fitness is being managed
Okay. It seems to me that most players in our starting XI dont have the required fitness levels. We ran 15km less than Brentford today.

Blood Mage

Fecking ludicrous that we benched him. Should be starting every game if Ten Hag wants to keep his job.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Okay. It seems to me that most players in our starting XI dont have the required fitness levels. We ran 15km less than Brentford today.
Not all of them coming back from an injury hit season and missed a lot of pre season through injury.

Trequartistry

Varane has become one of those defenders that no matter what error he makes, it’ll always get forgotten and swept under the carpet. It was happening to Lindelof for a while

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Varane has become one of those defenders that no matter what error he makes, it’ll always get forgotten and swept under the carpet. It was happening to Lindelof for a while
There has been some serious re-writing of history today.

Give it some time and some will say he's been the best CB in the world since signing, just needs to stay fit.

RC89

Why is everyone so knee jerk? He was unfit and poor for most of his time here thus far. He played well today and I hope it continues but let's not pretend that he should be an automatic starter because he's always been good for us. He may have incredible accolades but so for for us he has shown that he has work to do to be deemed an automatic starter, same as any of our other CBs.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Nah, the last few months I've mostly noticed people wonder if Madrid sold us a finished player, or that he wasn't any good at all last season, many highlighting the Brighton game, when to me his fitness aside (the obvious hurdle) he's quite easily our best defender.

Dominos

Maguire is captain, and he's not spent £50m on Martinez to put him on the bench.

It will take some disaster performances from Martinez/Maguire for Varane to regain his place.

It seems bizarre to me but we don't do things logically at this club.
It took 1 and a half games for the Maguire/Martinez partnership to be so bad that Varane had to brought back into the team mid-game. Amazing.

JeffFromHK

Since Varane joined us last year

PL Games with Varane: 23
Goals conceded: 22
Less than 1 per game

PL Games without Varane: 17
Goals conceded: 41
2.41 goals per game

p value <0.01

Any Man utd fans or football coaches who claim that he is not our best CB (with all the mistakes he has) needs an IQ check or take a STAT1001 class.

It is the way that he handles the games matters. He handles the games like a top club's CB, even though he may have mistakes here and there. Maguire has all the tackles and headers but he handles the game like a relegation fodder's CB. That's why Maguire concedes so many goals in his career even though he has all sort of great "tackles per game" "clearance per game" stats.

skc_18

Varane and Martinez is better pairing. But I think in the current state it should be 3 at the back.

Dominos

4x Super Cup winner
3x La liga winner
1x World Cup winner
1x Nations League winner

….On the bench?
I've said it before. We are the only top club in the world who would bench Raphael Varane to play Harry Maguire and a 5ft9 CB from the Dutch league.

Bwuk

This is his time. He needs to step up and deliver against Liverpool. This is what he was bought for.

Olecurls99

Why is everyone so knee jerk? He was unfit and poor for most of his time here thus far. He played well today and I hope it continues but let's not pretend that he should be an automatic starter because he's always been good for us. He may have incredible accolades but so for for us he has shown that he has work to do to be deemed an automatic starter, same as any of our other CBs.
Since Varane joined us last year

PL Games with Varane: 23
Goals conceded: 22
Less than 1 per game

PL Games without Varane: 17
Goals conceded: 41
2.41 goals per game

p value <0.01

Any Man utd fans or football coaches who claim that he is not our best CB (with all the mistakes he has) needs an IQ check or take a STAT1001 class.

It is the way that he handles the games matters. He handles the games like a top club's CB, even though he may have mistakes here and there. Maguire has all the tackles and headers but he handles the game like a relegation fodder's CB. That's why Maguire concedes so many goals in his career even though he has all sort of great "tackles per game" "clearance per game" stats.
RC89, Have a read will ya

A-man

RC89, Have a read will ya
I don’t think those stats describe the reality very well. Varane missed all games against City and Liverpool, which were 15 goals conceded. He also missed games against Arsenal and Chelsea. Not saying he was poor, but by missing the big games he obviously also missed a lot of conceded goals.

Olecurls99

Those stats look great for Varane, and I'm not one of those that's writing him off but by the simple eye test it's clear that he's not been a success yet.
Depends on the eyes I suppose. I've seen what those stats back up

OverratedOpinion

I think with his reputation and pedigree it is strange that he has become backup so easily. I know injuries play a part but you would think he would have to have a bunch of terrible performances before he is relegated to the bench at a new club with problems in his position. He didn't set the world on fire last season when he played but I don't think he was particularly bad either.

Olecurls99

I don’t think those stats describe the reality very well. Varane missed all games against City and Liverpool, which were 15 goals conceded. He also missed games against Arsenal and Chelsea. Not saying he was poor, but by missing the big games he obviously also missed a lot of conceded goals.
Okay let's take those 4 games out. You're still left with 26 conceded in 13 games when he's not playing.

Let the nonsense about him not being clearly our best defender end now

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
We need him to be a leader, and to stay injury free.

JeffFromHK

You made me spend 15 minutes to check the stats game by game:

games against Non-big 6 teams without Varane starting since he joined us: 12
goals conceded: 22

Your argument is clearly checkmated.

Since Varane joined us:
We conceded 0.91 goals per game when Varane (22/24 games) is on the field
We conceded 1.47 goals per game when Maguire (47/32 games) is on the field
We conceded 1.69 goals per game when lindelof is on the field (47 goals/28 games)
We conceded 1.00 goals per game when Bailly is on the field (4/4 games)

He is the best CB we have. It is very obvious. As I said many times, the fans and coaches using "tackles per game" "interceptions per game" "clearance per game" to measure how good a CB is are dumb. Many 3rd tier CBs got excellent "tackles per game" "interceptions per game" "clearance per game" while elite CBs like VVD have meh stats

Our CB's pecking order (injury aside) shall be Varane > Martinez/bailly > Maguire > Lindelof

Lindelof is a Championship level defender.

DevTheRed

Been saying all along that having this guy sat on the bench in favour of Maguire or Martinez is ridiculous. The man has won everything and has so much experience.. that alone should see him start ahead of either one of them.

We should be going ahead with Varane and Martinez.. I think it’s easily our best pairing.

Red00012

If he doesn’t start v Liverpool instead of Maguire I’d start questioning ETH

Status
Not open for further replies.