View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

OmarUnited4ever

The season just started, he had a full pre-season and no international games, what the hell is wrong with him!!

He is already breaking down right in front of our eyes... Even though he performs very well whenever he plays but still it's annoying

Shake Jism

Varane injured, again... and in some slightly more surprising news, it sometimes rains in Manchester.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
6 weeks! Man, we have to say it, but he's a crock.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Has to leave next season. Wouldn't mind if a Saudi club signs him in January either.

Eddy_JukeZ

I feel like we concede way more when he's not in the team.

Do the stats back this up?

philippexyz

I feel like we concede way more when he's not in the team.

Do the stats back this up?
Definitely. His return at the end of last season really helped us secure UCL football, after a small crisis when he was absent(losing to West Ham, Brighton, draw at Tottenham...).

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
We need to sign a player capable of sitting him on the bench next summer and stop this talk of a deputy. Good CB capable of playing for a club like United will not come to us to deputise. The drop off in quality is unsustainable and unacceptable.

A player with his absence record will always be sold off by top clubs. Madrid we’re trying to get rid for a while and finally pushed him out by making it noticeable, there is pressure on his starting spot. Being fit for games is as important as ability. Clubs will rather downgrade and get constant participation over sporadic availability. If his injury issues dont change by the end of this season we should sell him off and replace him with both Scalvini and Thiaw.

Sylar

We look more organised at the back when hes on. Its clear hes the leader of that. Hopefully he can get a run going of games.
Also him and Evans would be an interesting partnership too.

Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace

Irwin99

I know it was only Crystal Palace but I just feel a lot more confident when I see he's in the team.

He just does everything right, nothing too flashy.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I know it was only Crystal Palace but I just feel a lot more confident when I see he's in the team.

Yep. We are so much better with him in the team. Unfortunately I’m always expecting him to suddenly pull up injured.

RuudTom83

100%

I'm sure Casemiro feels a lot safer with Varane up his backside as well ;)

Sylar

Agreed, the whole backline no matter who seems calmer when he's in the lineup.think onana will benefit too from having varane in front of him.

He's a leader and you can see it with the way he communicates with the rest of the defence

MDFC Manager

Just keep him fit, with him we can play a much higher line and not look awkward at it.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Don’t know whether he our best CB but sure it feels like it.

Quite noticeable he give the team a moral boost when on the pitch.

Lyng

In my opinion he is our best CB. The whole team looks more composed when he is in there.

flappyjay

Reminds me of Rio in that aspect. Reads the game very well, rarely has to dive in. I am sure his red card count for a cb is low. Players like this go under the radar and people pay attention to the aggressive cb making the tough tackles.

It's not even close, he's a 4 times CL and WC winner that oozes class and is our best and most consistent CB by some distance.

Martinez looks like he's given up trying as hard after winning the WC.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
No surprise that the clean sheets arrive just as Varane comes back. Hopefully him and Martinez can get the partnership going again as that’s our best chance this season.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Outside of his obvious qualities as a CB, I think the most important thing Varane brings to your team is defensive leadership.

You see when he's playing, he's always talking to his teammates, pointing left and right to position them correctly. He makes everyone calm and they know where to focus, and none of your other defensive guys seem to be able to do that so when he's missing it shows.

That's why he is such a good partner to aggressive CBs like Pepe, Ramos, pre-injury Umtiti or Lisandro, because those guys like to go after the opponent and they know with Varane they'll always have cover instead of leaving a hole in the middle of your centre defence. Lisandro, Casemiro, Maguire, or Dalot always seem to play better with Varane around.

I understand why some people think about replacing him because of his injuries (weirldy enough he was never injury prone before joining Man Utd) but if you do that you need to pick a leader, not just a good CB.

El Jefe

I’ve said it for a while now, he should have been the captain and is the real leader of this team. Just a shame he breaks down twice a season.

He’s commanding but more importantly he’s calm. There’s been a lot of talk about cutback goals but he’s probably as good as anyone at intercepting them.