View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

always_hoping

Time that Ten Hag comes out and tells the truth to what's going on here.

My theory is Varane has told him that he's off to Saudi and that's he's not in the long term plans and he's trying other options. Shaw at centre back is fine when with injuries but not with a couple of fit centre backs sitting on the bench and unused. Shaw was also needed at left back to tonight.

el3mel

He will never play again. Another one bites the dust under Ten Hag.

Not that he was prime Vidic or anything but the way Ten Hag is dealing with the squad will end up with more players turning on him in no time. He's handing it very badly.

Woodzy

Feels a weird thread for me to moan in after our two CB’s being our best players today, but leaving a Champions League and World Cup winner on the bench when he still hasn’t completely past his prime doesn’t sit right with me.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
I get it if Varane has lost his position because Maguire is in form but no one can tell me Luke Shaw is a better CB than Varane not especially when you have to play a RB at LB to make that decision.
Sometimes...

Dan_F

I get it if Varane has lost his position because Maguire is in form but no one can tell me Luke Shaw is a better CB than Varane not especially when you have to play a RB at LB to make that decision.
Sometimes...
Yeah but Shaw is left footed. You know, for all that cultured football we play out from the back.

MadMike

Sometimes...
You don’t through. Reguilon was just there. He didn’t have to start Dalot at RB. Those are separate decisions.

Last couple of games from Varane have been pretty poor to be honest. He looks slow and like having mentally checked out. Might be because of the manager, sure, but then I can see why the manager doesn’t pick him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s not playing again is he. I don’t mind honestly, I don’t rate him that highly

ArmaDino

I don't understand why this thread is getting bumped?

It's not like our problems come from our poor selection CBs. Maguire, Lindelof and Shaw all have been decent recently.

Most of our issues come from the non-existing midfield that doesn't tracks it's runners and as a result they get a free run at our goal.

Varane in no shape of form will solve that. Neither will he solve our build up from the back. Only Martinez and Shaw are good that. On the ball I don't see him any better than Maguire.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Time that Ten Hag comes out and tells the truth to what's going on here.

My theory is Varane has told him that he's off to Saudi and that's he's not in the long term plans and he's trying other options. Shaw at centre back is fine when with injuries but not with a couple of fit centre backs sitting on the bench and unused. Shaw was also needed at left back to tonight.
I’m starting to think that the Glazers want rid of all our highest paid players so they can continue to get their yearly payouts.

We’ve removed Ronaldo and De Ge’s wages. Dropped Varane and Sancho.

That’s like 2m each week combined?

always_hoping

I’m starting to think that the Glazers want rid of all our highest paid players so they can continue to get their yearly payouts.

We’ve removed Ronaldo and De Ge’s wages. Dropped Varane and Sancho.

That’s like 2m each week combined?
Nice theory but I doubt it's true. Ronaldo had a clear public fall out same as Sancho. DeGea well known also, it's more of mystery what's going on with Varane, fair enough if others are chosen to start instead of him but he's barely getting any minutes on the pitch the last couple of games.

lsd

The Oracle
No one believing Ten Hag anymore

Woodenlung

Varane is either a perma crock or willing to knife his manager in the back.

Either way we have to get rid.

lsd

The Oracle

Nonsense he's been frozen out because ten hag can't manage big players.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Ffs. Hate the way hag has marginalised him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Kick those winners out!
Ronaldo, Casemiro and Varane.

Can't have these guys who've won the lot putting their opinion in.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

We have to move past him at some point, sure, but why does it have to be one of those two explanations?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
What a crap thread some of you have made this.

lsd

The Oracle
Kick those winners out!

That's the answer Ten Hag can't cope with players who actually know how a big successful club should be run.

90 + 5min

That's the answer Ten Hag can't cope with players who actually know how a big successful club should be run.
There is a reason Real Madrid let them all go. I'm not saying tenHag knows it all but there is a reason.

If you still don't understand after all why Ronaldo needed to go, it will be hard to discuss with you.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I had been hoping for a Varane-Shaw pairing this match, even if that had been an injustice to Maguire who has really been solid in the last few matches. But then it turns out he was injured with a sore back, hasn't played in ages. It's not just Maguire's recent form that keeps him out I guess, but that he's difficult to rely on due to being injured for half the games. Such a shame.

I hope we get another defender in the door in January.

Aint gota Kalou

If he's out with another niggle it shows ten Hag was right to drop him. He's a nice luxury when you have a consistent quality back 4 and he can drop in and out but we needed some consistency in selection and Maguire is at least available and performing. I wouldn't be sad if he went in the winter as long as we can bring in a younger CB.

Lee565

All I can think is a Saudi side has offered us good money and ten hag is trying to get him to accept the move

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Kick those winners out!

I really wonder why he's falling out with them. I more or less get the issues with Ronaldo but overall the 3 of them were good professionals with good work ethic.

SAFMUTD

It's clear something happened between ten Hag and him. I know he played awful in UCL, but to select Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw and even Evans before him it's not reasonable.

Rossa

You hang our best CB out to dry. You replace him with our best LB. Unfortunately our best LB is at best an average CB. So ETH has decided to not only weaken our CB pairing but also weaken our LB.

Clearly the right foot for LCB position does strangely not apply for LB where Dalot played. Either stick by your arguments, or you are made to look a fool.

Roboc7

When we eventually start picking him again he’ll get injured. Has to be on his way in January surely, even if don’t get a replacement until the summer.

Paddymcc

You hang our best CB out to dry. You replace him with our best LB. Unfortunately our best LB is at best an average CB. So ETH has decided to not only weaken our CB pairing but also weaken our LB.

Clearly the right foot for LCB position does strangely not apply for LB where Dalot played. Either stick by your arguments, or you are made to look a fool.
He really is making himself look like a complete and utter tool with the brack tracking on his statements like those.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
It's one thing to do it with Sancho who never proved his worth here over multiple seasons. But this has become indefensible now. Cut off your nose to spite your face management.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

Lindelof has played plenty at LCB too. He has clearly fallen out with him for whatever reason.

stevoc

Good to see he was fit enough again today to be sat on the bench taking up a place someone else could use, just so the manager can keep up the pretence that he hasn't frozen him out.

Top management.

Mercurial

Is Varane also required to offer a public apology or something?
They have both kept mum vis-à-vis, it's all a bit odd. Probably for the better? Maybe he has a deal in place and they don't want him to scratch himself and break the deal.