Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolaholic

They've been publishing that he's on the way out all month, not expecting that to change barring divine interference from San Zidane himself :lol:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Leave it until next Summer just in case this is the year Bailly gets a good run.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Looks like we have a very good defense next season. Now we just need a Kante and to keep Pogba and we're looking decent.

cyberman

Feck me, Jan proven wrong hours after making another confident statement shocker.
Pretty sure this confirms Varane told Madrid his decision longer than the 6 hours ago when Jan tweeted that he didnt

A-man

Do you think that Alaba has won more than Varane? I don't, hence why Varane likely has a problem with being paid less. Sure he has a lot of Bundesliga titles but that's not hard to do at Bayern.

I doubt that Bruno or Maguire would disagree that a player who has won a world cup, three La Liga titles and four Champions Leagues might command a higher salary than they do.

Indeed, one could probably distill all of this down to CL titles won.
It all depends on how big difference and how well he performs. Nobody will care if his old team was successful or not. He has to show his wort at United and show that he would be so much more valuable than the other players. It’s always a risk with big differences in salaries when the players are at the same level.

Mainoldo

Zidane is going to love this new team we are building :lol:

I questioned whether he was still good. But he’s better than Lindelof so bonus.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That can't be true. 360k would make him the highest earner at United?
If the enormous difference in salary is based on enourmous difference in performance and impact at United, then I don’t think there would be a problem. If it is only based on what his old club accomplished, yes then there might be a problem. Alaba seems to have stirred up things at Real in that aspect.
It's very likely his wages is based on team's achievement. Today, Fabrizio confirmed that Sancho's wages has the bonus if we win PL or UCL. Varane is likely getting the same.

Pogba's wages had UCL clause 25%. He will be only on 215k p/w if we don't make it to UCL. After what Fabrizio mentioned about Sancho, It's very likely now our standard wages clause for our new top players is no longer UCL spot anymore but actually winning PL. Assuming it's the same 25% cut then Varane's 360k (assumption) is basically only 270k p/w if we don't win PL. That's reasonable wages for his quality and experiences about the same as Martial and less than Pogba's current wages. No player will be jealous of that.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I really hope we still have the Jagielka's Moyes compilation vids somewhere in the library so he can learn a thing or two about our heritage in defence

criticalanalysis

Some quality bants in here :lol:

On a serious note, just how good is he on the ball though? Does he carry the ball? Good under pressure/a press? Does he pass into the middle? Does he defer/square a lot? Short, long game?

I recall reading some think he's not better than Lindelof here. That surely can't be true because for all the technique he has and looking comfortable on the ball, Lindelof is a passive/almost defer-first passer of the ball.

Nicolarra90

On a serious note, just how good is he on the ball though? Does he carry the ball? Good under pressure/a press? Does he pass into the middle? Does he defer/square a lot? Short, long game?

I recall reading some think he's not better than Lindelof here. That surely can't be true because for all the technique he has and looking comfortable on the ball, Lindelof is a passive/almost defer-first passer of the ball.
Don't know really, but he has lots of silverware and Lindelof has had lots of brainfarts which have prevented us from having silverware (like the EL final)

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

He gives far more assurances on the ball when he plays from the back, can deliver solid long range passes, and is still one of the faster defenders in the world who can recover from a bad position. The thing with Varane is I'm not sure he ever got better than when he was 19-21 and seemed like one of the best young CB prospect ever and dominating Barcelona defensively. He's a serial winner though and a great personality to have, but I don't see him as someone who will be a vocal leader in the dressing room and raising up everybody's intensity, he's a bit of a mellow personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.