Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Apparently people here want us to give him £350k for another 4 to 5 years

Might as well give Jones the same as well.
Yeah why not pay our most talented midfielder. Will you prefer we pay you instead? Maybe you haven't noticed, but Ole and our management team wants to pay him that. What you and others think is irrelevant.

choccy77

Inappropriate Content
Yeah Jones and Pogba have offered very similar contributions the last 5 years. Fantastic post.
So I'm guessing you're one of the mindless on here happy to give Pogba £350k?

If so, don't ever have kids.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Not sure why BBC is considered so highly here. Bunch of idiots can't even understand what an exchange rate is. They have done this multiple times
Yeah but when they say something they're usually good for their word. A tier below official club confirmation

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The BBC are saying £34m

What weird websites are you looking at ffs?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57967166
The one I linked you to and quoted the text that said rising to £50m.

You've just linked me to the same page. Here is some text beyond the first line:

Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane is near to joining Manchester United for an initial fee of around £34m.

Final details are still to be agreed - but Varane, 28, had told Real he had no wish to extend his current contract, which has a year to run.

The deal for Varane is likely to reach £50m with add-ons.

Red4Life_#7

Even if he's half what we think he'd be imo he's still a massive upgrade on Lindelof. Watch this!

Some great memories there. The West Ham game with Pogba's cracker, plus Cavani and Greenwood's great finishing.

Lindelof is really at fault for so many conceded goals, his positioning and weakness are definitely a target for the opposition.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Flo Perez's current plan for 22-23:

-----------------------------Benz if he can still run---MBAPPE!!1!!!!111eleven
One of them Brazillian midgets-------------------------------------------------------------------------The other one
------------------------------------------------------------who cares------------who cares-------------------------------------
who cares-----------------------------------------Alaba-----------------------who cares-------------------------------who cares

Infestissumam

Flo Perez's current plan for 22-23:

-----------------------------Benz if he can still run---MBAPPE!!1!!!!111eleven
One of them Brazillian midgets-------------------------------------------------------------------------The other one
------------------------------------------------------------who cares------------who cares-------------------------------------
who cares-----------------------------------------Alaba-----------------------who cares-------------------------------who cares
it's pretty baffling. Fans surely can't be happy with their dealings so far, looks absolutely shambolic.

choccy77

Quality control
You’re the one comparing Jones and Pogba and he is the mindless one?
And you're clearly unable to comprehend sarcasm.

You must go home from a night out, thinking you're god, after a girl says something nice to you.

Learn what sarcasm is, then you will actually see how irrelevant you are to the species.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

You must go home from a night out, thinking you're god, after a girl says something nice to you.

Learn what sarcasm is, then you will actually see how irrelevant you are to the species.
You okay? You seem upset.

sparx99

Can someone explain this solidarity fee to me?
There is a fee owed to Lens because they developed Varane at their academy. On a transfer this size it will be a couple million. So they haggled over who would cover that amount. It’s just one of the more minor details that have to be negotiated.

EC689908

Pretty amazing fee considering City spent £40 million on a recently relegated Nathan Ake last year as a comparison

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Someone got out the wrong side of the bed? Take a chill pill :lol:

Pavl3n

The base fee in pounds for both is around what €120m in GBP was last year. Either way it’s a very small difference and shows why “just pay the money” is stupid as feck, which is all my post was to highlight.
I wasn't trying to be jerk about the exact figures.

And yes, that's the main point - getting both of them for the same money we were quoted last summer. Although I probably wished at various points last summer that we just go and pay what Dortmund were asking, I feel we've done shrewd business waiting a year and getting them both for the £107m. It changes the whole narrative from 'Can Sancho justify his price tag?' to 'United show that they can make good deals' and puts the club in a better light.
Had we got him last summer for £108 then he would've been branded 'most expensive player in the PL/Manchester United' and he would've had a lot of pressure from the media that definitely would've got to him. On top of that the media likes to spin things and fans would've got the wind and not before long he would've been on the receiving end of some nasty online abuse. I like to believe the club took all that into account when weighing up their options.

A-man

@A-man your guy is done out here
“My guy” is a bit complicated in this case as I have followed Varane since he moved to Madrid 10 years ago. Varane and Ramos were my favourite CB pair for many years and even if Varane always was in the shadow of Ramos, I rated him as one of the best in la liga.

I think he has a good chance of also becoming one of the best in the PL if he can adapt to the physical league and improve that part of his game. My biggest concern would be he might already have passed his peak and that a long contract with one of the highest salaries in the PL is a bit of a risk.

El Zoido

But they are reporting it as £34m not £44m
Well the £44m was a typo, meant £42m. It’s reported as £34m with £8m as addons (which will surely be worthwhile, should we ever get to the point of triggering them).

But my point is, UK media will often report the Euro price as the GBP price, without converting. £42m is around €50m. Already some UK news outlets are reporting £50m. They’ve taken the Euro price and slapped the pound symbol in front of it.

Add ons shouldn’t even be mentioned in the transfer fee total, but with United they always are. Our transfer fees already end up being inflated by the media. These deals are just too complex to be broken down like this.

sp_107

Really good to see us seize the opportunity and buy big when the prices are low.

I'd love to see Trippier come in next, then make Pogba see sense and get him signed up to a new deal, and other than a few outgoings I think that'll do nicely.
Wondering what others think about this on cafe, Better we move on from Pogba?

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
With this signing on top of Sancho, it really feels like United are back.

This is the best transfer window the club has had in a long, long time.

Pavl3n

BBC are saying £34m initial fee, rising to £50m with addons

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57967166

Everywhere else is reporting nowhere near £50m.

Not the first time the BBC have conveniently switched the € for £ without converting the figure. They did it with Memphis Depay and reported it at £31m, when everywhere else was reporting £25m.
Cheeky feckers, they really did. It raises to 50 million EUROS, not pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.