Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coops73

Great signing. Can’t wait to see him in a United shirt, genuinely one of the best defenders in the world and I think he could be perfect next to Maguire.

I really thought this was a Ramos scenario but hopefully there could be one or two more.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Is he actually good? There's surely a reason Real Madrid are willing to let him go, is he an upgrade on what we have at present?
He's here to give comfort to the youngsters, and may coach or play ambassador role next season.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He came to play under the leadership of ole gunnar solskjaer

Oh for feck sake, I know we're all giddy but come on. A 4 time Champions League and World Cup winner isn't getting starry-eyed about playing under Solskjaer.

The club holds an allure for him, sure, and the money also.

The Irish Connection

Brilliant!

Ole slowly turning us back into a fergie team: varane, late comebacks, youth, now move Pogba on and get a replacement and it will almost be like the great man never retired.

croadyman

I am listening to these guys. They are so biased against Ole they will not even let the contributors make their points. Varane is an excellent signing and these guys are trying to be controversial for the sake of being controversial.
Loving this caller fighting back by mentioning the fact Ole has beaten Pep more times

Chairman Woodie

Delighted seeing the Club sign Varane. I think he'll complement Maguire. His experience will be invaluable too.

Having signed Sancho and Varane I hope it's more than just some Arsenal fans who are worried and jealous.

Last edited:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Let me guess, is he due a new contract at Madrid by any chance?
Have people learned nothing?

He's clearly using Utd as a bargaining chip for a bumper renewal... Its been clear that there was always a chance that Ramos would be off this summer and Varane has played the hand he has in turning down previous renewals and put Madrid in the last position they want to be in, the prospect of losing 2 CBs in the same window.

We're now at the Mexican standoff point where Madrid are like "nah we're stacked at CB, happy to sell". Its just a question of who blinks first, but he'll 100% renew and I'll gladly eat a bowl of shit if he doesn't.
Gladly filling up a bowl here, spoon in hand.

Never in a million years think we'd pull this off.

And the main thing I failed to appreciate was Varanes obvious genuine desire to join Utd, obviously wages are probably a factor, but the guys spent 10 years at Real and won the lot in that time, whatever way you look at it he could comfortably have stayed there and still earned a shed load of cash.

But he's chosen to move to a club that's a sleeping giant, a reasonably big risk in terms of his legacy in the game.

I don't really care what his salary is, it's not comparable to the Sanchez deal, if another player references his wages the answer is pretty easy - once you've won the world Cup and 4 CLs come back to us and we'll chat.

To get him for the reported fees is unreal.

And with that, the bowl is full, time to chow down.

Eplel

Delighted seeing the Club sign Varane. I think he'll compliment Maguire.
Not only that, but having two CBs that are really capable with bringing the ball forward means that we don't need to rely on a double pivot in every single game, and especially when we want to play an attacking game.

If we add a good DM, I have no doubt the team will flourish.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
So there are Arsenal fans who would turn down Varane?

How bizzare
*Spanish guitar melody plays *

Delano

Brilliant signing. Compliments Maguire perfectly as well.

Varane will be on the right, act as the covering defender and play the Rio role.

Speaking of, his switches of play with his right AND left foot will get us Muppets purring. Really can make defence splitting passes easily.

mancsarered

Fantastic business getting done this summer. One more (a DM in a perfect world) and I'm sure many fans will stop talking about the Glazers & Co. for a while. Money solves a lot of problems.

11reds

Loving this caller fighting back by mentioning the fact Ole has beaten Pep more times
I think over last few years under Ole our problem has not necessarily been against top teams its the points we have dropped against lower teams. Signing varane and sancho addresses some of these issues.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Ducker doesn't know the wages but gooner opinion guy on twitter does.

Trequarista10

Great signing. Can’t wait to see him in a United shirt, genuinely one of the best defenders in the world and I think he could be perfect next to Maguire.

I really thought this was a Ramos scenario but hopefully there could be one or two more.
Same, never thought the links were credible. Surprising and fantastic signing. We've actually got a proper CB pair now for the first time in many years.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If the fee reported by the BBC is true, it's an absolute steal. Arsenal paying 50% more for Ben White is insane.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Well we’ll, this is certainly a signing of intent. Should be a good foil for Maguire. Maguire’s composure & organizational skills combined with Varane’s athleticism & speed. Varane isn’t without his faults, but there aren’t many better defenders out there and he should be suited to the EPL. Nice to have World Cup winner and 4x CL winner in the defense. And 28 for a central defender is quite young, he should be coming here when he is just getting in his prime.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Gladly filling up a bowl here, spoon in hand.

Never in a million years think we'd pull this off.

And the main thing I failed to appreciate was Varanes obvious genuine desire to join Utd, obviously wages are probably a factor, but the guys spent 10 years at Real and won the lot in that time, whatever way you look at it he could comfortably have stayed there and still earned a shed load of cash.

But he's chosen to move to a club that's a sleeping giant, a reasonably big risk in terms of his legacy in the game.

I don't really care what his salary is, it's not comparable to the Sanchez deal, if another player references his wages the answer is pretty easy - once you've won the world Cup and 4 CLs come back to us and we'll chat.

To get him for the reported fees is unreal.

And with that, the bowl is full, time to chow down.
Honest humility here, and a week or so ago even I felt the same.

What topping will you have on your bowl then?

r1z3mu

Am I dreaming? Am I? It happened - finally we will have 2 real quality center backs. This is great business. Unlike other people I think this is it and there will be no other quality signings (hope I'm wrong) unless we sell some of our bench warmers. But Sancho and Varane is more than I hoped for. Great summer!!! :)

Irrational.

Absolutely ecstatic with this signing.

My only slight reservation is that he's been there, done that and got the T-shirt. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a Bastian 'fecking' Schweinsteiger type signing and still has the hunger for the game and not for the kebabs.

USREDEVIL

Absolutely ecstatic with this signing.

My only slight reservation is that he's been there, done that and got the T-shirt. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a Bastian 'fecking' Schweinsteiger type signing and still has the hunger for the game and not for the kebabs.
Schwiney was a bit spent by the time he got here. IIRC. Varane is in his peak. I think we'll be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.