Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamVimes

That's the kind of signing I thought we learned never to do again. The "galacticos" type, player that's on a decline, have won a lot and don't really have motivation besides money.
You know he is only 28 and at his peak? Jordi Alba is also 28 and just left Bayern on a free. Is that bad business?

If you were talking about Ramos I would agree 100%, but this is different.

Pavl3n

Or
Varane- you did shit there Pavard lad
Pavard (thinking: 'I'll play a Jedi Mind Trick on him')- yeah but not just me. Pogba gave it away first
Varane- good point. Oi Pogba that’s your fecking fault lad
Fixed it for you ;)

Thiagoal

That's the kind of signing I thought we learned never to do again. The "galacticos" type, player that's on a decline, have won a lot and don't really have motivation besides money.

Also 60m is ridiculous. We'd be idiots to pay that much.
Just checked his age as assumed he was 38 given this comment…

SATA

Tbh Madrid are a very different club to deal with than Dortmund and we seem to have a more amicable relationship with them. IIRC the Di Maria transfer was a pretty painless affair. We've also sold them half a dozen or so players over the years so I hope they wouldn't "long the ting' so to speak.
You forgot Morata mate, till the point United probably got pissed and decided to go for Lukaku that year

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You know he is only 28 and at his peak? Jordi Alba is also 28 and just left Bayern on a free. Is that bad business?

David Alaba.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
From what I've seen of him, if this is his prime then I don't want to know what his "bad years" were!
Probably from the 4 games you watched in the Euros right? Watch him play every week for Madrid, then you'll see what we mean by prime years.

Motorman

It could be a new contract he is angling for.. I hope not...

If it is though, its not an issue. I quite like the look of Romero from Atalanta. Would be happy with either.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Oh ffs I'm getting pulled in, someone pull me out quick as this one is blatantly going to end in tears

Raw

Oh ffs I'm getting pulled in, someone pull me out quick as this one is blatantly going to end in tears
Same :lol:

This'll go to the very end of the window before he decides to sign a bumper contract at Madrid. Yet here I am, getting sucked in.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Probably from the 4 games you watched in the Euros right? Watch him play every week for Madrid, then you'll see what we mean by prime years.
Granted people remember the huge mistakes but he doesn't strike me as a super reliable defender. He had a nightmare vs City too, last year I think. Whatever.
I stand by my uninformed decision - he's crap! And too expensive (if the 60m is to be believed)

Strelok

David Alaba mate.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The only caution I have for this is it appears we are front runners out of lack of choice from Varane side than him wanting the PL as his challenge. Or so it seems this way.

Mike Smalling

Euros so around £51 million.
Still seems like a lot to me. One year on contract, 28 years old, market hit hard by covid, Madrid badly in need of cash, etc.

Anyway, doesn't matter too much - let's just get him :D I'm in full muppet mode!

WPMUFC

an absolute flurry of "average" sources reporting the talks.....this is prime real estate for a Simon Stone kick to the balls tweet.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
holy feck - it's like the summers of 2014-2017 all over again.

Falcao last minute loan deal loading :drool:

SATA

The absolute best thing out of this potential signing is that i do not need to see Lindelof at CB week in week out ever again. Do Barca still want him?

Kaos

You forgot Morata mate, till the point United probably got pissed and decided to go for Lukaku that year
I'm not entirely sure we were all that serious about Morata tbh, I always had the impression Mourinho was adamant on Lukaku. Morata himself said that Chelsea made him feel more wanted during the whole transfer debacle.

AshRK

This will be a class signing, a leader at the back along with Maguire is what we need. Varane-Maguire partnership screams success. We need experience and Varane brings that. And let us not act as if he is some 32 year old, he is 28 the same age as Maguire and younger than VVD.

A-man

I'm struggling to see how he is a good defender if he doesn't do either of these.
There are many ways to defend. Some centre backs attack the ball and the player by getting in to duels all the time. Maguire is one of them, but Varane is not.

A comparison of ground and aerial duels attempted per game:

Maguire 9.2
Lindelof 5.9
Varane 5.4

You can clearly see that Maguire is another type of player. He likes to attack the ball/player.
Note that this includes offensive duels on corners so it is not only defending. Roughly 60% of Maguire's aerial duels are offensive, compared to 70% for Varane and 80% Lindelof.

According to fbref.com going on last season, whilst he doesn't go up for many headers (97)... he does win 75% of them.

To contrast, Maguire wins 77.5% of his headers (from 187 headers), and Lindelof wins 66% (from 105)

The fact that he doesn't go up for many headers could be down to the league he's playing in though, you'd have to ask a regular La Liga watcher about that though.
Yes he wins a good % of them, 77% in la liga and 67% in CL this season and is good in the air, but he doesn't challenge a huge amount. Of course it depends on the league, team, etc, but we can at least say that at Real Madrid, he doesn't win many aerials. Then it could change if he plays for United.

0le

Also 60m is ridiculous. We'd be idiots to pay that much.

Kaos

holy feck - it's like the summers of 2014-2017 all over again.

Falcao last minute loan deal loading :drool:
Let's hope they end up being more successful than that bunch. A whole lot of money we spent on signings/wages during that period for a whole load of dross.

wise_old_man

This will be a class signing, a leader at the back along with Maguire is what we need. Varane-Maguire partnership screams success. We need experience and Varane brings that. And let us not act as if he is some 32 year old, he is 28 the same age as Maguire and younger than VVD.
Maguire and Varane are roughly the same age. That means we'd need to replace them both at the same time in future. Hmm...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

This true?

Status
Not open for further replies.