Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There are many ways to defend. Some centre backs attack the ball and the player by getting in to duels all the time. Maguire is one of them, but Varane is not.

A comparison of ground and aerial duels attempted per game:

Maguire 9.2
Lindelof 5.9
Varane 5.4

You can clearly see that Maguire is another type of player. He likes to attack the ball/player.
Note that this includes offensive duels on corners so it is not only defending. Roughly 60% of Maguire's aerial duels are offensive, compared to 70% for Varane and 80% Lindelof.

Yes he wins a good % of them, 77% in la liga and 67% in CL this season and is good in the air, but he doesn't challenge a huge amount. Of course it depends on the league, team, etc, but we can at least say that at Real Madrid, he doesn't win many aerials. Then it could change if he plays for United.
:lol: Duel attempted is useless in this discussion if La Liga players avoid to go duel contest with him.You can’t use the same point on what players did in European comp because Varane‘s numbers are still miles better than Lindelof.

A-man

If Ramos goes to PSG, which seems highly likely according to many reports, would they still be interested in Varane?

Classical Mechanic

There are many ways to defend. Some centre backs attack the ball and the player by getting in to duels all the time. Maguire is one of them, but Varane is not.

A comparison of ground and aerial duels attempted per game:

Maguire 9.2
Lindelof 5.9
Varane 5.4

You can clearly see that Maguire is another type of player. He likes to attack the ball/player.
Note that this includes offensive duels on corners so it is not only defending. Roughly 60% of Maguire's aerial duels are offensive, compared to 70% for Varane and 80% Lindelof.

Yes he wins a good % of them, 77% in la liga and 67% in CL this season and is good in the air, but he doesn't challenge a huge amount. Of course it depends on the league, team, etc, but we can at least say that at Real Madrid, he doesn't win many aerials. Then it could change if he plays for United.
He's basically Lindelof only fast, better in the air and a lot more handsome. You.Are.Worried.

mk7

It is, but its still his best attribute
I don't watch Real Madrid regularly but when he played he was not standing out or drawing attention, which I think is a positive thing for a CB.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Just do a swap deal with Pogba. Real wants Pogba, Pogba wants Real. Varane wants to leave Real, we want Varane. Both player on the final year of contract and very unlikely to extend, why can't it happen? Save us both the time and money.

Kaos

What excites me most about this potential transfer is he's pretty much the perfect foil to Maguire. Does he speak English?

Idxomer

He's a clear upgrade on Lindelof which is all that matters really.

Keyser

What excites me most about this potential transfer is he's pretty much the perfect foil to Maguire. Does he speak English?
Not yet but he's making progress being in the England setup

Rolaholic

Just do a swap deal with Pogba. Real wants Pogba, Pogba wants Real. Varane wants to leave Real, we want Varane. Both player on the final year of contract and very unlikely to extend, why can't it happen? Save us both the time and money.
Thank feck you're not in charge of our transfers

Dan_F

That's the kind of signing I thought we learned never to do again. The "galacticos" type, player that's on a decline, have won a lot and don't really have motivation besides money.

Also 60m is ridiculous. We'd be idiots to pay that much.
I’ll say it again, please give me examples of these players that have won everything and suddenly turn shit after moving for a pay day.

A-man

:lol: Duel attempted is useless in this discussion if La Liga players don’t want to go duel contest with him.You can’t use the same argument of what players did in European comp because Varane is still miles better than Lindelof.

It is only useless if you don't understand how to use stats, like in your case.
How many duels a defender goes in to does not translate how good he is, but it tells yu about the style of player. You can easily see Varane and Lindelof don't go in to many duels, while Maguire does.

I have followed Real Madrid for more than 2 decades and seen many games with Varane. He is not a duel CB. Those who claim that have not seen him. It is not his style.

MadMike

Just checked his age as assumed he was 38 given this comment…
Tbf Varane is the same age Sanchez was when we signed him and it's probably the exact transfer the person you quoted had in mind.

I guess it's hugely important if he is a) on decline and b) is motivated to be here by something else other than money.

I don't think he's on decline, but I do have my doubts about motivation.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Why, please do explain.
1. Do you think Varane and Pogba are of the same value with a year left on contract to do a swap deal?
2. Do you think we are so well stacked in midfield we can let arguably one of our best in that position go?
3. How much in marketing are we losing from swapping Pogba as opposed to gaining from signing Varane?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
1. Do you think Varane and Pogba are of the same value with a year left on contract to do a swap deal?
2. Do you think we are so well stacked in midfield we can let arguably one of our best in that position go?
3. How much in marketing are we losing from swapping Pogba as opposed to gaining from signing Varane?
1. As reported, both are valued at around 50m, plus minus
2. We will loss Pogba for free next summer. Let's face it, he is not extending his contract here. Riaola has been making so much noise about him not staying after his contract ends. We will look like complete idiot losing him twice for free, having bought him back for 89m few years back.
3. Again, we will gain 0 if Pogba leaves next summer, not that we have a choice at all. His wage demand will be another biggest stumbling block for selling him to other clubs this summer. Everyone just know he will see out remaining of his contract here, why not sell him now to avoid total loss next summer? He wants Reals Madrid, every men and his dogs knows that, do you want another Mbappe situation here, letting him go for free and gifted him to Real for nothing next year?

Last edited:

A-man

He's basically Lindelof only fast, better in the air and a lot more handsome. You.Are.Worried.
Varane has been one of my favourite CBs for a long time and since I watch many of RMs matches, I think I know what I am talking about. He is not a duel CB. He is more similar in style to Lindelof than Maguire imo. He is better at defending than Lindelof. His downsides compared to Lindelof is he is, imo, less constructive with the ball and makes more mistakes.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
1. As reported, both are valued at around 50m
2. We will loss Pogba for free next summer. Let's face it, he is not extending his contract here.
3. Again, we will gain 0 if Pogba leaves next Summer, not that we have a choice at all.
That valuation is as a result of the situation we have left ourselves in. His real market value is way beyond that. You don't know we will lose Pogba next summer he could yet extend. Why admit defeat and do a worse deal for us? Sign Varane, keep Pogba for the extra year or if Madrid play hard ball he'll leave for free. If Pogba doesn't extend, he leaves, we bring in Varane and a replacement for Pogba. Simple

Bogga

So many pages and no one have mentioned flight tracker yet? Is that a thing of the past or are there any flights from Madrid to Manchester later today?

Classical Mechanic

Varane has been one of my favourite CBs for a long time and since I watch many of RMs matches, I think I know what I am talking about. He is not a duel CB. He is more similar in style to Lindelof than Maguire imo. He is better at defending than Lindelof. His downsides compared to Lindelof is he is, imo, less constructive with the ball and makes more mistakes.
I've seen plenty of him too. I used to follow Ronaldo when he was at Madrid. I agree that he makes a lot of bloopers. He'll be 'overrated' in no time on here. Posters have unrealistic expectations though.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
More mistakes than Lindelof? Wait

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It is only useless if you don't understand how to use stats, like in your case.
How many duels a defender goes in to does not translate how good he is, but it tells yu about the style of player. You can easily see Varane and Lindelof don't go in to many duels, while Maguire does.

I have followed Real Madrid for more than 2 decades and seen many games with Varane. He is not a duel CB. Those who claim that have not seen him. It is not his style.
:lol: The original poster you replied wasn’t talking about Varane’s style or he is duel CB. He was talking about Varane is better than Lindelof has assets that compliment Maguire.

He’s quicker than Lindelof, as good as Lindelof on the ball, better in the air than Lindelof, better tackler and plays RCB which his points why he compliments Maguire. For some reason you disagree with his points and using duel attempted which irrelevant to what he discussed.

MadMike

One la liga title with a stacked Barca team and a couple FA Cups with Arsenal hardly constitutes a player that's won it all.
Also won the Copa with Chile.

I find the "won it all" argument a bit weak anyway. It's a team sport. Winning stuff depends on the team you find yourself in, not just the individual. Sanchez, Di Maria and Schweinsteiger were world class players at their respective peaks who moved here and for reasons of either physical decline, lack of motivation or inability to adapt... they simply didn't make it.

lysglimt

Scout
Do we know if the guy who hacked Rashfords phone has said anything ? :)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That valuation is as a result of the situation we have left ourselves in. His real market value is way beyond that. You don't know we will lose Pogba next summer he could yet extend. Why admit defeat and do a worse deal for us? Sign Varane, keep Pogba for the extra year or if Madrid play hard ball he'll leave for free. If Pogba doesn't extend, he leaves, we bring in Varane and a replacement for Pogba. Simple
Ok, don't be naive. We don't want to end up like Dortmund losing Lewadowksi for nothing. If he wish to stay, he would have extend his contract long ago, but not leave it until his final year to decide, and letting his agent to make so much noise in public about him wanting to leave, isn't it.
Thing is, we have spent huge amount of money on him, if he leaves, we must make sure we do get something back in return there.

spiriticon

I'm on this train. I think he is a great foil for Maguire.

Varane doesn't need to be super fast (which he isn't), but what he needs to be is positionally and tactically experienced to cover the gaps when Maguire attacks the first ball. I believe he can do that very well.

A-man

:lol: The original poster you replied wasn’t talking about Varane’s style or he is duel CB. He was talking about Varane is better than Lindelof has assets that compliment Maguire.

He’s quicker than Lindelof, as good as Lindelof on the ball, better in the air than Lindelof, better tackler and plays RCB which his points why he compliments Maguire. For some reason you disagree with his points and using duel attempted which irrelevant to what he discussed.
No, the original claim was that Varane wins many aerials and tackles, which I don't agree with. Then came the question, how can he be a good defender if he doesn't win many duels. Again, it is not his style, but he is still a good defender. This was what I was explaining in my post and on top of my observations I added some stats showing the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.