Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahzy

If we do get him. Should we just cut our losses with Lindelof to try and recoup some money and have the first replacement after Maguire and Varane as Tuanzebe or Baily?

MDFC Manager

So, they paid only 17M for Sancho in the first installment. Surely, they have more than 17 fecking million to spend this summer?
Negotiation tactic?
We'd also have some payments to make for previous transfers this year. But yes, there should be more money there.

If we do get him. Should we just cut our losses with Lindelof to try and recoup some money and have the first replacement after Maguire and Varane as Tuanzebe or Baily?
I don't think so, Bailly is a sick note and I'd rather we look to sell him first.

TrustInOle

I don't think that matters. They could have been interested and been told "thanks but no thanks" by the agent, therefore the chatter never enters the press.

Isn't Varane a United fan? I know we tried to sign him back when too and have probably built up relationships with his people over the years.

Still would say Varane stays at Madrid with a gun to my head, but he's won everything at Madrid and might just fancy playing for United. Might be like Schweinsteiger where he said he wouldn't have left Bayern for another European club unless it was Man United. Our pull is still true. So maybe if he can't join United, he'll simply stay put and isn't interested in club B, C or D.
This fills me with hope, hopefully our standing with players around the world is that we are steadily improving each season, being part of that project could be the fire he needs again after winning it all. What a feather in his cap if he joins United and helps lead them back to the title! :devil:

It just sounds to good to be true as in my opinion, he would be the ideal partner for Maguire who loves being the aggressor as Ramos always was!

cyberman

They don't need to be cash-rich. if the banks are willing to finance then it's all systems go on the finance side.
Even then a 40m pound deal shouldn't be a problem surely? Spread over 5 years like Sancho?

SATA

I think it’s a tactic to convince Madrid to sell closer to United’s price than theirs. Otherwise they will be left stuck with a player who doesn’t want to be there anymore and they’ll get next to nothing for him next year

TrustInOle

Like anybody believes that. While we obviously won't be blowing £300m We can definitely stretch to £150m, especially with it spread over years.

This is obviously noise to Madrid and whoever else that we won't be paying over the top and happy to walk away.
Exactly as I took it, from the Sancho deal of last year to this shows we are not willing to be used anymore as a cash injection and will negotiate strongly. I have no problem if United have leaked this to the press for future deals after being proved correct with Sancho.

Are we actually becoming more intelligent when it comes to negotiating? :eek:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Exactly as I took it, from the Sancho deal of last year to this shows we are not willing to be used anymore as a cash injection and will negotiate strongly. I have no problem if United have leaked this to the press for future deals after being proved correct with Sancho.

Are we actually becoming more intelligent when it comes to negotiating? :eek:
Seems that way? who would have thought we'd get such a fair deal for Sancho in the end.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So, they paid only 17M for Sancho in the first installment. Surely, they have more than 17 fecking million to spend this summer?
Negotiation tactic?
Surely the first instalment we’ve paid for Sancho this year is more than £17m?

Gandalf

We do need to start considering incoming cash as well as spending and to that end I think something needs to happen with Lingard now that we have Sancho confirmed, just don't see any role for Lingard here next year. If we are signing a CB then again we need to look to make some space, Victor would presumably be the first choice back up but with a number of younger players pushing there is no need to keep hold of Bailly and Jones as well so one should be sold. Jones would be everyones preference but the reality is that he probably has no market, Bailly does have some value and considering his stance over playing time I would imagine he would be eager to push a move through if we sign someone to start alongside Harry.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
19 years old Varane was better than 28 years old Varane.

He was sick when he first got his break through. Last 2-3 year he's not improved at all.

bosskeano

PSG look to be signing Ramos on a 2 year deal so that take PSG out of the equation for Varane. Unless City come in for him, Varane and United seem the most likely destination if he really plans on leaving Madrid.

gorky_utd

He was sick when he first got his break through. Last 2-3 year he's not improved at all.
He may not be the same player, but still a level above Lindelof. His big game experience is what we are missing at the moment.

Tony247

So united knew for about a year what money they need to pay for Sancho. And still they contacted Varane and Camavinga! It is not that they found out upfront fee just 2 weeks back. This article implies united thought upfront fee would be 1m but ended up paying 40m ffs.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Sounds like he needs a new challenge in a league where defending matters ;)

Gandalf

So united knew for about a year what money they need to pay for Sancho. And still they contacted Varane and Camavinga! It is not that they found out upfront fee just 2 weeks back. This article implies united thought upfront fee would be 1m but ended up paying 40m ffs.
I would not worry about that. If you are trying to buy a player you brief constantly that you are broke and might have to look elsewhere and if you are the selling club you are flush with cash and don't need to take a penny less than your asking price. In transfers, everybody lies.

SATA

Camavinga could be just an enquiry or early groundwork and dependant on Pogba staying or leaving. Varane yeah, no way we contacted Madrid for talks to buy him if the club is flush of cash. This is an elite player we are talking about

Polar

We do need to start considering incoming cash as well as spending and to that end I think something needs to happen with Lingard now that we have Sancho confirmed, just don't see any role for Lingard here next year. If we are signing a CB then again we need to look to make some space, Victor would presumably be the first choice back up but with a number of younger players pushing there is no need to keep hold of Bailly and Jones as well so one should be sold. Jones would be everyones preference but the reality is that he probably has no market, Bailly does have some value and considering his stance over playing time I would imagine he would be eager to push a move through if we sign someone to start alongside Harry.
Good news: A renewal will probably cost (only) £40m:)

Lindelof: £30m
Bailey: minus £30m (swap deal Pau Torres).
Varane: minus £40m

Nori-

Ramos pretty much confirmed for PSG now. Giving us a clear route to Varane. Lovely jubbley.

He wouldn't still sign a contract for Madrid though would he?

dasty

Simon Stone confirmed that we have contacted Real Madrid for Varane.

SATA

Now the serious sources are backing this up. This definitely has legs, lads. It’s not about a contract ploy anymore. It’s genuine interest from us and the player

Suv666

Now the serious sources are backing this up. This definitely has legs, lads. It’s not about a contract ploy anymore. It’s genuine interest from us and the player
Tbf Sky, Fabrizio, Di Marzio, BBC all reported Ramos to United back in the day too

Knightmare7

Really happy if this goes through, even if I'm sure Lindelof is dreading it. Lindelof just isn't a starting CB, BUT I would take him in a heartbeat as a third choice CB. A 3-man rotation of Maguire-Varane-Lindelof (plus Bailly if he's healthy) is very solid and I would have no complaints. You don't have to have a top 3 player at every position to win. Let's be honest: scoring is much harder than defending, which is why Goals For is the tiebreaker ahead of Goals Against in the PL. I would rather have reliable CB's with extra depth and invest any savings I have into the forward and midfield departments to up the attacking flow. With Varane, the next mission is fixing the midfield so the ball can move from the back four to the attack much more fluidly.

Teja

PSG look to be signing Ramos on a 2 year deal so that take PSG out of the equation for Varane. Unless City come in for him, Varane and United seem the most likely destination if he really plans on leaving Madrid.
Why would City go in for him? Stones + Dias have proven that they're a great partnership and they still have Laporte, Ake etc. PSG are set with Ramos + Kimpembe, Bayern aren't spending a lot this year, Pool signed Konate (so no more CB signings), I assume Juve have bigger issues so they won't be in either and no one else from Italy / Germany can afford him.

That leaves

Spurs (actively targeting the same set of CBs as us: Kounde, Torres etc.)

Chelsea: They don't like Azpi as their 3rd CB (Rudiger + T. Silva are nailed on). The plan was to sign Hakimi and have Reece James as the 3rd CB but that didn't really happen. Maybe they'll go for another wing back.

I haven't seen any links from either of these clubs but the only real competition would be from Chelse

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So that's Times, BBC reporting our interest, nice. Would be awesome start to the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.