Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
I still haven’t allowed myself to board the train with this one.

It would still a lot if it didn’t come off. I’ve wanted us to sign him since before his Madrid move… I’m sat at the station deciding whether to buy a ticket for this one. :nervous:
Im fully on board, just worried the train may derail and fall off a cliff very suddenly.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

It would sting a lot if it didn’t come off.

I’ve wanted us to sign him since before his Madrid move… I’m sat at the station deciding whether to buy a ticket for this one. :nervous:
I'm generally cynical about player's contract situation but in this case, it has been too long and the same thing has been reported by reliable papers on top of his agent himself. He thinks about leaving, he doesn't want to negotiate with Madrid, if he has decided his future he hasn't told anyone. It's rare that an agent, Madrid's mouthpiece, RMC/L'équipe and Perez all say the same thing.

croadyman

It would sting a lot if it didn’t come off.

I’ve wanted us to sign him since before his Madrid move… I’m sat at the station deciding whether to buy a ticket for this one. :nervous:
Yeah by all accounts it was Zidane who made him decide to join them over us in 2011 and get that because he's a french football legend so don't hold that against Rafael at all and would welcome with open arms

RUCK4444

Looks very much like it's Rice or no one despite there being cheaper options on the continent
Yeah this is annoying me as well.

We could really improve DM position in the team without throwing crazy money at West Ham for Rice.
I’ve made my feelings known on him, don’t see the hype whatsoever tbh.

That said he’s better than us making zero signings at DM position, so I’d take him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'll have serious trust issues if this turns out to be another Ramos like ploy to get a better deal at Madrid

croadyman

Yeah this is annoying me as well.

We could really improve DM position in the team without throwing crazy money at West Ham for Rice.
I’ve made my feelings known on him, don’t see the hype whatsoever tbh.

That said he’s better than us making zero signings at DM position, so I’d take him.
Yeah and finding one for around £35-40m means we could still get Trippier as backup RB too which makes financial sense

RUCK4444

I'm generally cynical about player's contract situation but in this case, it has been too long and the same thing has been reported by reliable papers on top of his agent himself. He thinks about leaving, he doesn't want to negotiate with Madrid, if he has decided his future he hasn't told anyone. It's rare that an agent, Madrid's mouthpiece, RMC/L'équipe and Perez all say the same thing.
Yeah I agree and was thinking along these lines as well, it doesn’t smell like your usual scenario of a player holding out for a new deal at their current club.

Ive already boarded the Varane train anyways, a few posts back.
No turning back now, better buckle up and try not to cry if he goes somewhere else. :wenger:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If we sign Varane - how big is this transfer if you only look at the status of the player we signed ? One of the biggest ever ?
Signing a multi-decorated CB from Madrid in his prime years (or giving us his supposed best years) who is rated on all fronts and has one of the greatest trophy cabinets of all-time... In terms of reputation and readiness to perform, I'd think it's the biggest CB signing United have made. Rio was a huge signing, but it was mostly based on potential, and all the other elite CB's we've had made their name here, so were not in the conversation of best CB's in the world from the outset. The saying we make stars, not buy them really comes into play here because we've simply not bought many marquee players who were considered world class before they got here.

I don't see who trumps this as Pogba was nowhere near as decorated as Varane. Varane has more CL titles than Manchester United as a whole; a world cup and has won 3 league titles in La Liga - even in our pomp that CV would be a knockout.

As he's a defender and not an attacker, it wouldn't make the headlines it merits, but for my money, given the circumstances and the fact this is his last big contract, it'd be the biggest signing I think United have made based on status before ever kicking a ball for us.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah I agree and was thinking along these lines as well, it doesn’t smell like your usual scenario of a player holding out for a new deal at their current club.

Ive already boarded the Varane train anyways, a few posts back.
No turning back now, better buckle up and try not to cry if he goes somewhere else. :wenger:
Though prepare yourself for a potential heartbreak, Ancelotti reportedly want him to stay and they will try to talk with him after the Euro. So since he apparently hasn't talked to anyone, there is always the possibility that Madrid manage to convince him to extend even if it's just a year or two.

Loon

:lol:
I would have bet my house this was all a Ramos get-a-new-contract ruse. Shocked if he joins us.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Varane, Perez, Varanes agent, and the caf right now...

zizou81

I would have bet my house this was all a Ramos get-a-new-contract ruse. Shocked if he joins us.
The Ramos ruse includes fooling everyone that Sancho is coming to united too...this ruse is incredible. A motion picture is being made based on true life events called, "The Ruse, a search for a better contract"

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So similiar to Rio. Quick, good in air, perfect positioning, technique, strong.....damn, i want this guy.
And it hurts me that he was close to signing with us years ago and then Madrid stole him. fecking Madrid.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He is a lovely colour though, you have to admit it.
Varane your tan.

Now all you need to do is come up with a sun tanning lotion and some money to start a business. You've got the slogan for free.

SinNombre

So similiar to Rio. Quick, good in air, perfect positioning, technique, strong.....damn, i want this guy.
And it hurts me that he was close to signing with us years ago and then Madrid stole him. fecking Madrid.
Well he is not as good as Rio but one level below.

And Madrid didn’t steal him. We had signed Jones that window and Smalling the summer before and it made no sense for Varane to join us.

He even said words to that effect.

No Jones and we would have gotten him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Definitely not as good as Rio, but potentially miles better than Lindelof.

SinNombre

"Manchester United? They had just signed Phil Jones in my position," Varane said.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Well he is not as good as Rio but one level below.

And Madrid didn’t steal him. We had signed Jones that window and Smalling the summer before and it made no sense for Varane to join us.

He even said words to that effect.

No Jones and we would have gotten him.
Definitely not as good as Rio, but potentially miles better than Lindelof.
Reminds me on Rio. Of course that he is not Rio. Rio is goat :drool: .
And damn....i missed that about Jones.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Haven't gotten involved here as I figured it's unrealistic. If it's actually possible then it's absolutely the dream CB signing. He's world class without a doubt, and a perfect partner for Maguire. His experience would be invaluable too. Fast, strong, big, good on the ball... I'm doubtful because it's too good to be true IMO.

youmeletsfly

Super hyped if he indeed comes here. Want him more than Grealish and as much as Sancho.
I see a lot of people mentioning Grealish. Boy I'd want him on that left side with Bruno/Pogba at 10. But let's be honest, there are other positions where we need players more urgently.

In terms of Varane, dunno, I have a slight sick feeling he's doing a Ramos on us.
It's that type of transfer I'd believe only after seeing the official announcement.

meamth

Maguire and Varane partnership?

Does he still has the pace?

EDIT:
The thought of having first choice France CB partnering England's undisputed first choice is just....mind blowing.

RedDevilRoshi

Weren’t we in for him when he was a youngster too before he opted for Real Madrid?

So hope we get him! What a signing this will be! Sends out a massive statement that we really do mean business when you compare it to the other CB’s we’ve been linked with.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Weren’t we in for him when he was a youngster too before he opted for Real Madrid?
According to Varane he turned us down because we had just signed Phil Jones.

Either he was worried about playing time or just didn’t want to get injured in training.

Red Star One

So hope we get him! What a signing this will be! Sends out a massive statement that we really do mean business when you compare it to the other CB’s we’ve been linked with.
Sure he was - and he was my dream signing already, FM legend and off a great season at Lens. Real were lucky to snap him, even if he turned out to be a bit more erratic than I would have hoped. Still one of top top CBs in the world

theklr

We better not concede anymore set piece goals with Maguire and Varane in the box...

Infestissumam

I still refuse to get onto this train, it'd be just to good to be true. I'd love to be wrong, but I feel this one will end in tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.