Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotherham_red

Top strikers are incredibly difficult to come by now. Arguably the only two left in the league are Kane and maybe Auba. What we do have now are plenty of 15-20 goal a season players which is as good as any other team in the league right now. We also now have a back four as good, if not better than everyone else. Our midfield still lacks a great DM but that's about it, and we don't have quite the squad depth of City or Chelsea. Our current squad is still excellent and we are right up there now after these two signings, so anything short of a full on title challenge is a complete failure.
I think for better or worse, we'll be entering the Haaland and/or Kane sweepstakes next season. If either don't come off then I think someone like Vlahovic at Fiorentina could be worth a gamble. Or, if we want to go down the Prem-proven route, someone like Ings could come in and be a squad player. I think our need for a striker is not because of a lack of quality per se, but a lack of numbers. Greenwood may ultimately be that man, or Martial may even have a renaissance after a tough season last year, but if one/both of them go down, then we're severely lacking. My personal preference would be for Kane, as his age profile would suit a nice and easy transition for Greenwood, but Haaland's history with Ole and Sancho can't be discounted either.

Re the squad as a whole, I do agree with almost everything you say to an extent. I do think we'll be much improved, but a title challenge is that DM away for me, still. The most important thing in football is that first pass out of defence and that link between defence and attack. Unfortunately, and while I do really like both Fred and McTominay, they just aren't at that required standard. It's not just about protecting the defence, it's about setting the tempo of the game and breaking the lines of the opposition and giving those stellar attackers as much of the ball as possible. McFred collectively do a decent-good job of protecting the defence but in possession, their game lacks penetration. That's not their fault, and both players would be much better individually if they were paired with a DM. I respect them both for stepping up and doing a job for the team, but I think it's pretty clear that no one at the club sees them as the solution long-term, or that we will be in the position of winning the biggest competitions with both of them in the engine room.

For me, I think the following is achievable for us:

League: 80-84 points, which should be good for Top 4 and a strong showing against the rest (but with the strength of Chelsea and City, and Liverpool getting their best player back, I genuinely don't know where in the Top 4 it would place us)
FA and EFL Cups: go as far as possible and win or both of them
CL: QF is about par, SF if we get a good draw

A good DM sees us pushing past 85 points and seriously stretching the 90 points mark, and would get us one, to two places better in the league irrespective of who is in front of us.

I think what we have to realise is that a ball hasn't been kicked yet and we only have to look at Chelsea who had an even better window than ours now, last year: Werner, Havertz, Silva, Mendy, Chilwell, Ziyech gave them more quality and strength in depth collectively than Sancho and Varane have given us. Yet, they weren't great in the league and we comfortably finished ahead of them despite not really improving our starting XI from the season before.

If we were to challenge this season it wouldn't be a surprise, but I wouldn't necessarily bank on us winning it while City and Chelsea have the advantages they have in terms of their squad depth.

Pavl3n

Without doing any research at all, my guess would be no one?
Schweinsteiger was probably the one closest to this though.
There are not many players in the world that have near as much honours as Varane to start with.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think for better or worse, we'll be entering the Haaland and/or Kane sweepstakes next season. If either don't come off then I think someone like Vlahovic at Fiorentina could be worth a gamble. Or, if we want to go down the Prem-proven route, someone like Ings could come in and be a squad player. I think our need for a striker is not because of a lack of quality per se, but a lack of numbers. Greenwood may ultimately be that man, or Martial may even have a renaissance after a tough season last year, but if one/both of them go down, then we're severely lacking. My personal preference would be for Kane, as his age profile would suit a nice and easy transition for Greenwood, but Haaland's history with Ole and Sancho can't be discounted either.

Re the squad as a whole, I do agree with almost everything you say to an extent. I do think we'll be much improved, but a title challenge is that DM away for me, still. The most important thing in football is that first pass out of defence and that link between defence and attack. Unfortunately, and while I do really like both Fred and McTominay, they just aren't at that required standard. It's not just about protecting the defence, it's about setting the tempo of the game and breaking the lines of the opposition and giving those stellar attackers as much of the ball as possible. McFred collectively do a decent-good job of protecting the defence but in possession, their game lacks penetration. That's not their fault, and both players would be much better individually if they were paired with a DM. I respect them both for stepping up and doing a job for the team, but I think it's pretty clear that no one at the club sees them as the solution long-term, or that we will be in the position of winning the biggest competitions with both of them in the engine room.

For me, I think the following is achievable for us:

League: 80-84 points, which should be good for Top 4 and a strong showing against the rest (but with the strength of Chelsea and City, and Liverpool getting their best player back, I genuinely don't know where in the Top 4 it would place us)
FA and EFL Cups: go as far as possible and win or both of them
CL: QF is about par, SF if we get a good draw

A good DM sees us pushing past 85 points and seriously stretching the 90 points mark, and would get us one, to two places better in the league irrespective of who is in front of us.

I think what we have to realise is that a ball hasn't been kicked yet and we only have to look at Chelsea who had an even better window than ours now, last year: Werner, Havertz, Silva, Mendy, Chilwell, Ziyech gave them more quality and strength in depth collectively than Sancho and Varane have given us. Yet, they weren't great in the league and we comfortably finished ahead of them despite not really improving our starting XI from the season before.

If we were to challenge this season it wouldn't be a surprise, but I wouldn't necessarily bank on us winning it while City and Chelsea have the advantages they have in terms of their squad depth.
I think that's a reasonable set of achievements yeah, though I'd probably disagree about Chelsea being stronger than us. I know that's a weird thing to say after they just won the CL but I think a big part of that was the impact Tuchel had coming in and the momentum he gave them. League and squad wise, I think there's very little in it. City are probably still too strong though, even if they lack a striker themselves, and I'm not particularly scared of Pool, even with VVD they look a shadow of the team that won the PL last year. But yeah, 80-85 points seems about right. Anything less should be seen as a lack of progress and serious questions need to be raised, and we really need to win a fecking trophy.

spiriticon

:lol:

If our defending was any good, we wouldn't be signing you pal.

To be honest, I think Varane is a perfect foil for Maguire in set pieces. Maguire will always attack the first ball, but he's only human and doesn't get it right everytime. The next problem is that Lindelof is more often than not nowhere near the second ball. Even if he is a 50/50 position, he's weak as tissue and loses the duel anyway. After that, it becomes panic stations in the penalty area and we inevitably concede.

I have great confidence that Varane can tactically support Maguire in the set piece. He's been supporting Ramos for nearly 10 years on the way to numerous titles.

Honest opinion, I personally rate Fabinho-Henderson-Thiago as a better midfield trio than Fred-McTominay-Bruno.

It's a more balanced midfield with a clear DM (Fabinho) an energetic box-to-box pressing CM (Hendo) and a playmaker (Thiago). All three more comfortable on the ball than our lot. They would probably take Bruno over Thiago for his offensive contribution, since they struggled with goals last season, but I have no doubt they would easily pass on McFred and prefer their own CMs.
Thaigo is utter shite, he’s the worst of the bunch. Playmaker my arse. That’d be like me arguing Schweinsteiger-United versions case, the guy is done.

Fred is better than Henderson at the same job.

We have the Bruno advantage and they have Fabinho.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You can’t honestly have watched Thiago last season and thought he was anything other than a liability surely? The guy is Liverpool’s Schweinsteiger.
He actually played quite well in the closing stages of the season, his book is not written yet with Liverpool.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He actually played quite well in the closing stages of the season, his book is not written yet with Liverpool.
He was probably our best player in our late run for 3rd.

Also, fecking lōl at Fred being better than Henderson.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He’s done, Schweinsteiger had a couple of decent games a season also, but Thiago is finished.
Thiago is not comparable to him. You are just taking a difficult year to settle and making lazy comparisons. Thiago was very good for Liverpool when he came back from injury and played in the final third of the season. That's a longer span than the occasional game Basten gave us.

Thiago is not comparable to him. You are just taking a difficult year to settle and making lazy comparisons. Thiago was very good for Liverpool when he came back from injury and played in the final third of the season. That's a longer span than the occasional game Basten gave us.
We’ll see, the Thiago I saw looked like he was running in quick sand, absolutely done. It was much more than simply a “difficult year to settle”.

As I say, we’ll see, but I’ll bookmark for review in November when he’s being benched.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
You can’t honestly have watched Thiago last season and thought he was anything other than a liability surely? The guy is Liverpool’s Schweinsteiger.
If Thiago is as bad as you say isn't it a cautionary tale to not get over excited about Varane until we've seen him play in the PL.

MadMike

I have watched him a lot and have the complete opposite opinion to you, so yeah we'll have to agree to disagree. He's very reliable and the opposite of a liability.

He's easily among the best midfielders in the league at retaining the ball and circulating it and one of the best at pressing and recovering it. He's just become very blunt in the final third offering little offensively in the form of goals or assists

Look at his passing stats but also pressures, tackles interceptions. He has become a very similar player to Marco Verratti. He's just blunt around the final third like I said, and this was part of the reason why Liverpool were struggling with goals last season (Mane being shit and the injury crisis were the others). However he does help immensely with Liverpool dominating the midfield, like they did against us at Old Trafford.

By comparison, Bruno offers a helluva lot offensively (xA and xG) but his ball retention and ball recovery is kinda shite. Just different type of player completely.

And before you spout any shite about me watching stats instead of games. I do watch the games. It's just that my opinion is also backed by stats, instead of being formed by them.

EIDT: We should prolly refrain from this discussion here. Happy to take it elsewhere though.

Last edited:

devilo

Is this the Varane thread?

I've come here for flight trackers and the like, yet all i'm reading is a load of crap about Thiago!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Take your Thiago bollocks to another thread, this thread is for noshing off Varane, not the Butcher of Merseyside.

Godfather

Anyone know about what exactly are the quarantine rules governing this transfer??

Will he get a couple of weeks of training before the League kicks off?
Now these are the important questions, not that Thiago/Henderson nonsense. Nobody cares about these jokers.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Anyone know about what exactly are the quarantine rules governing this transfer??

Will he get a couple of weeks of training before the League kicks off?
From the gov.uk site:

If you have been in France in the 10 days before you arrive in England, you must follow the amber list rules for people who are not fully UK vaccinated.

This means you must quarantine for 10 days on arrival in England and take day 2 and day 8 COVID-19 tests. You will need to book these tests in advance.

When you complete your passenger locator form you must choose ‘No / Prefer not to say’ when asked if you are exempt from the requirement to quarantine and take a day 8 test. This is under the section of the form titled ‘Your coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination status’.
This is assuming he's been in France in the last 10 days. If not, these also apply if he's not fully vaccinated.

I read somewhere that they're trying to reduce his 10 days quarantine to 5.

Marwood

The pressure will be on the lad from day one. We must remember that moving house is stressful, moving to another country with family must be a nightmare. Give him at least a couple of months before he is judged on his performances. Sancho not as bad as he knows the lay of the land already.
I wouldn't worry, its not like a regular person moving to a different country. Everything gets sorted for them.

DevilsOwn

From the gov.uk site:

This is assuming he's been in France in the last 10 days. If not, these also apply if he's not fully vaccinated.

I read somewhere that they're trying to reduce his 10 days quarantine to 5.
Thanks.
So most likely quarantined till Friday?sat if he travel in the next day or two.

Can start against Leeds then. If i remember correctly, Maguire also started his first game without much of a practice with the team?

RedDevilRoshi

Apologies if this has already been posted but I take it he’s heading to Manchester today to start the quarantine and then begin the medical once the quarantine is done?

Just so he can get some minutes under his belt against Everton before the Leeds game?

What the hell happened to this thread.
Leftback thinks we still have the 4th best squad in the World, even if we complete Varane. I took exception.

At that point something of a Thiago brigade came in with all sorts of graphics to prove to me he wasn't utterly wank and looked like he was running in sinking sand all last season. That's the point at which I stopped replying to them.

For what it's worth, we had the second best side last season, and with VVD back and Varane likely to be added (along with Sancho), I think we clearly have a squad/team that is at bare minimum equal to Chelsea and Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.