Raphinha - Now on deferred wages at Barca / UNLUCKY LuckyScout

Status
Not open for further replies.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Are you happy with Deco if you're Raphinha ?

His client wants Barcelona, he gets 2 big PL clubs to bid way over 50M making it very hard for Barcelona to match.
Now Barcelona has to pay more so Deco fecked them. Angers Leeds too if he manages to force their hand into accepting Barca's offer (not that it matters much for the future).
I assume he would be getting less wages than Chelsea and Arsenal but that's his dream destination so whatever. Until he's asked to take a reduction/deferral of x% to help the club.

Ending up at Chelsea is more than fine but if he truly wanted Barcelona, he must be annoyed. Weird transfer all around.

I’m loving my life

There’s a lot of hijacking going on seemingly this transfer window.

Does anyone else visualise lots of random balaclava-clad figures running all over Europe from club to club playing a part in the drama? Maybe scenes on SSN on the final day?

2023/4 transfer window will see highwaymen enter the fray

phelans shorts

Top player.

Maybe Chelsea, Arsenal and Barcelona all being wanting him might make the Caf rate him now?
In the last year Arsenal spent 50 million on Ben White, Barcelona signed Adama Traore and Chelsea signed Lukaku for 100 million.

So no, then being interested hasn’t changed my mind that he’s absolutely nothing to write home about.

tidraKS

I’d love him to sign for Barca just to piss some Chelsea fans off.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

His client wants Barcelona, he gets 2 big PL clubs to bid way over 50M making it very hard for Barcelona to match.
Now Barcelona has to pay more so Deco fecked them. Angers Leeds too if he manages to force their hand into accepting Barca's offer (not that it matters much for the future).
I assume he would be getting less wages than Chelsea and Arsenal but that's his dream destination so whatever. Until he's asked to take a reduction/deferral of x% to help the club.

Ending up at Chelsea is more than fine but if he truly wanted Barcelona, he must be annoyed. Weird transfer all around.
If he wants Barcelona and is getting Barcelona he'd be delighted with Barcelona?

I'm just surprised he wants to go there so bad given their situation. Shows their pull I guess.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
One fellow who keeps changing his mind apparently
Yeah maybe.

It's funny isn't it, i don't think I have seen any player rated as highly as Raphinha apart from Grealish (from relegation placed team), like for any player, even for elite ones like Kane, Messi, Neymar there will be few who don't rate as highly.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
If he wants Barcelona and is getting Barcelona he'd be delighted with Barcelona?

I'm just surprised he wants to go there so bad given their situation. Shows their pull I guess.
If Leeds keep their stance and Barcelona can't follow Chelsea's offer, he ruined the move for his client. If that's the only club he wanted, they must know that Barcelona are in deep deep trouble. They should have told Chelsea & Arsenal that they already had an agreement with Barcelona so they can discreetly negotiate without involving any other club.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

Leeds has the right to set their own valuation on the transfer. Deco can't control what they're asking for.

As an agent, if you tell a club that your player will only accept one destination and that this club will only pay an unreasonably low below-market fee for the player as a way to strong arm them into losing their asset on the cheap, it may work once but you get a bad reputation and clubs don't want your players anymore (for good reason).

Overall, I think Deco has played a blinder. It looks likely that Barcelona will cough up the money so Raphinha will get his move. And while Raphinha and Barca reportedly agreed the outline of personal terms ages ago, the interest from other clubs (especially Chelsea) may have actually given him some leverage to negotiate those terms up slightly when it comes to a final contract. And if Barcelona can't get their financial house together, he has two other good options lined up for his client which would both represent big steps up from Leeds and big paydays.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Leeds has the right to set their own valuation on the transfer. Deco can't control what they're asking for.

As an agent, if you tell a club that your player will only accept one destination and that this club will only pay an unreasonably low below-market fee for the player as a way to strong arm them into losing their asset on the cheap, it may work once but you get a bad reputation and clubs don't want your players anymore (for good reason).

Overall, I think Deco has played a blinder. It looks likely that Barcelona will cough up the money so Raphinha will get his move. And while Raphinha and Barca reportedly agreed the outline of personal terms ages ago, the interest from other clubs (especially Chelsea) may have actually given him some leverage to negotiate those terms up slightly when it comes to a final contract. And if Barcelona can't get their financial house together, he has two other good options lined up for his client which would both represent big steps up from Leeds and big paydays.
I get that but in that scenario he still made Barcelona coughing up more money for the transfer, and falling back on Chelsea and Arsenal was always possible in mid-July once they're told that Barca is no longer a possibility.
I don't think this allowed Deco to negotiate better terms. Have they even managed to pay back last year cuts ?
Anyway, i hope he gets to Barca just to annoy Chelsea and see Barca crumble financially at the same time.

Kramer

Can someone shed light on why Barca want Raphina so bad?

I don’t watch them at all, but hasn’t Dembele been very good off late on the RW? Given their financial situation, shouldn’t other signings be priority - Lewandowski etc?

Does signing Raphina mean that Dembele will be available for free in the market?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

As an agent he should consider everything, he can't rely only on Barca. From the initial days, the price was sort of fixed, it was upto clubs to match it.

Arsenal didn't match that price, Chelsea did. So it's on Barca to match the same asking price.

What if Barca can't get enough money to sign him after signing bunch of freebies, Lewa? He will be stuck with Leeds. As an agent he should always have back up options.

redsunited

Poor Barca couldnt pay the asking price but if Raphinha's happiness is most important, He could play for free with Barca, so barca can match Leeds transfer price as they can offset with his wages.
(Stating the obvious) The Reality is Deco and Raphinha knows what they are doing. He will join a club which can afford the transfer fee and satisfactorily pays him.

Ekeke

To be fair, you’ve named the 3 clubs that have made horrible transfers over the last few years.

I’d stay far the feck away from who they want :lol:
We've made almost exclusively bad transfers. They've all done better than us

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
How does he compare to somebody like Gnabry? Final year of his Bayern contract and probably available for similar or less to the right buyer. I haven’t watched enough of Leeds to see what level Raphina is at. Certainly no shortage of interest!!

amolbhatia50k

If Leeds keep their stance and Barcelona can't follow Chelsea's offer, he ruined the move for his client. If that's the only club he wanted, they must know that Barcelona are in deep deep trouble. They should have told Chelsea & Arsenal that they already had an agreement with Barcelona so they can discreetly negotiate without involving any other club.
You're making this unnecessarily complicated. He's trying to get his player the club he wants. That's all there is to it. If Barcelona can't make it work I'm sure they'll figure out a move to his 2nd choice club.

DevilRed

We've made almost exclusively bad transfers. They've all done better than us
Would you really classify Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo as bad transfers? Or Bruno Fernandes?

Or if we manage to buy FDJ and Malacia?

I agree we have underperformed, but thats mainly down to having a poor core of jokers signed in the past by incompetent managers.

While we haven't come close to winning the premier league, we did finish second under Ole and most of the signings were showing good progress.

Last season we imploded and then appointed a fraud of a "manager". I think you will be surprised at how much better the players will look under a proper manager.

Abraxas

I don't get this. How exactly is Deco responsible for getting PL clubs to bid X amount for his player? If there is somebody responsible for that it is Raphinha as he's a desirable player due to performance. I think you're giving him far too much credit as a salesman. He's a football agent, his job is to get his players a good deal, he doesn't direct the transfer strategy of clubs or selling disposition of Leeds United.

troylocker

25 years old and already scored 62 goals in his career. It's just 2 years since he kind'a failed to make any impact at Rennes and was moved on to Leeds......not better than any of the alternatives we already have, except Elanga, and way too expensive for his CV.
I like that he's got almost 2 seasons of Bielsa intensity in him though. That is something we need.

Last edited:

IrishRedDevil

To be fair, you’ve named the 3 clubs that have made horrible transfers over the last few years.

I’d stay far the feck away from who they want :lol:
Our transfers for the last 10 years aren't anything to take the moral high ground over. A billion flushed down the toilet.

Ekeke

Would you really classify Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo as bad transfers? Or Bruno Fernandes?

Or if we manage to buy FDJ and Malacia?

I agree we have underperformed, but thats mainly down to having a poor core of jokers signed in the past by incompetent managers.

While we haven't come close to winning the premier league, we did finish second under Ole and most of the signings were showing good progress.

Last season we imploded and then appointed a fraud of a "manager". I think you will be surprised at how much better the players will look under a proper manager.
Bruno is the only one who hasnt been so far and he's been on a downward trend after being a top quality player at the start.

Maybe Ronaldo, but there have been some negatives as well as the positives of his goals and his linkup play as a striker. For example not building for the future by achieving the same with the transfer of someone much younger.

And yes by the same merits there have for sure been bad transfers at the other clubs mentioned. But for example Chelsea have been so active in the market the last few seasons that several bad transfers are more than made up for with many more successful transfers and trophies overall. Big transfers that havent worked out such as Kepa, Lukaku and Werner havent stopped them winning the champions league and making progress towards challenging City and Liverpool domestically, in a way we certainly havent.

If we had by this point signed 2 more CBs and 1 of them is a definite starting quality CB, and 2 more DMs and at least 1 is a definite starting quality DM so we dont have Lindelof and Fred starting in those positions at important times, I'd be happy with that even if we also had 1 dud CB and 1 dud DM who also came in and werent good enough. At least we'd be trying to address the problems and making more attempts at it in the right areas means that eventually we might get it right instead of doing nothing about it or bringing in a single player who might not make it.

Robbie Boy

Don't agree personally but each to their own. He's carried a very poor Leeds side for a long time.
17 goals in 60 odd PL appearances isn't really anything amazing. Jack Harrison has 16 in the same space of time, and he's extremely average.

I can see why the likes of Arsenal, or this iteration of Barca might want him, but Chelsea being interested is fairly baffling. I'm just glad we're not being dragged into this nonsense.

Last edited:

Zoo

You'd think that he's quite sloppy in his game to be a Barca player but then again Xavi seems quite confused in what he's trying to do.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I've not once watched Leeds and thought Raphinha is carrying then.
That's on you I guess. Go back and watch the 6-2 at Old trafford or the 2-4 at Elland Road.

Both of those games he was amazing. in the 2nd game especially Leeds were toothless without him. Brought him on at half time and he was involved with 2 goals instantly.

Anyway, he will be a star wherever he goes, you can bet on that. He'd walk into our RW position if he didn't have the Leeds allegiance.

amolbhatia50k

That's on you I guess. Go back and watch the 6-2 at Old trafford or the 2-4 at Elland Road.
More likely it's on the player not impressing enough.

Same. Always struck me as a wildly erratic player who was capable of some good moments.
I actually think he's a good player - explosive, which I do like. But he is quite erratic and loose in his technique which you wouldn't tell from the insane hype.

Reminds me of ADM in style but with control and precision. He'll be a good addition for any of the teams after him but based on the sample of the games I've watched him in, he won't be another Mane or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.