Rashford and Martial are a problem

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Rashford needed an earlier pass and he needed to be a bit more patient - took the piss how many times he was offside.

Cavani shoudve started up top vs Henderson.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Rashford seems to have really remained stagnant with regards to his decision making and he fecks up so many attacks by doing the wrong thing. He’s always capable of producing a moment - but some of the choices he makes are often baffling.

RooneyLegend

We need proper wide players to move them out of wide areas. It seems Ole is serious about playing a 4-2-3-1 so let's get the right wide players for the system.

Jibbs

I think United should offer Martial and Pogba both to PSG for Mbappe.

klayton88

Rashford needed an earlier pass and he needed to be a bit more patient - took the piss how many times he was offside.

Cavani shoudve started up top vs Henderson.
Rashford is offside 5+ times a game. RVP was the same for us but RVP didn't have young legs. Rashford has no excuse but being piss poor at timing his run.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Rashford is offside 5+ times a game. RVP was the same for us but RVP didn't have young legs. Rashford has no excuse but being piss poor at timing his run.
Not always...today there one where Pogba took one too many touches and that put Rashford offside. On another that they raised the flag the replay showed that he was onside. Or at least it appeared that way. Either way, against a team like Liverpool that plays such a high line you have to make those runs and eventually you can catch them out...

Bondi77

If he is as bad as some have said then why is he rated as a 100mil plus player?

LUC1f3R

Rashford need to time his runs and there were times when our MFs could have played the ball early but they took one too many touches

Martial for all his holdup play and dribbling shouldn't have started. Cavani played way better imo with his movements and physical threat.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Both these players make you appreciate Rooney's goal tally at the club so much more. Rooney got all sorts of goals, worldies, ones with great technique, volleys, scruffy goala from close range, free kicks, penalties everything.

Rooney got goals when our midfield qas comprised of Cleverly and Anderson.

He got goals with partners like Falcao and Welbeck.

These two will never come close.

We need the next Rooney to lead our line. A better Rooney if possible.
For a lad often not classed as intelligent he had a bloody good ‘footballing brain’ and was incredibly driven on the pitch. Two things that seem to be missing from Rashford and Martial

If you only count League games yeah
23 times in 31 appearances in all competitions. You're pulling hyperbolic nonsense out of your backside.

Funnily enough, "a few games back" = yesterday, where he actually was offside five times. Almost like he was playing with the express intent of getting in behind one of the highest lines in the league! And someone else has already explained to you how that doesn't indicate "piss poor" run timing.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I still will defend Rashford because even if he's looking iffy he can still make things happen. Martial is just Martial.

Rashford massively needs to improve decision making, Martial has so much work to do, and he's not a kid anymore.
This is my stance as well. Rashford has not had his best season, but even when he plays poorly he can deliver decisive moments and his stats speak for themselves

Honestly, overall Martial has not been that much worse than Rashford, but lacks the output and that is a huge problem. At the current rate Martial is going hes providing a goal or an assist every 198 minutes. Thats not even close to good enough for a 25 year old

Tallis

Rashford being asked to play at 9 vs his usual inside forward position may have caused his unusually high number of offsides. He hasn’t played in that role for some time. He is our second most creative player - unfortunately we have to change formations and tactics every other game which I think causes some of his inconsistency.

Martial on the other hand - not sure what’s going on. He runs like he is a 35 year old who doesn’t have the confidence that he will beat a defender for pace. There was some news that he was struggling from a fitness perspective so that may have caused it. We need another forward so we can rest some legs and cater for dips in form over a season. James clearly doesn’t have Ole’s confidence. Not sure what’s going on with Greenwood but he could have been an answer if this was last season.

cyril C

We didn't really create any chances for them due to poor passing from midfield. Both were playing out of position too. Please note Liverpool front 3 did nout
I clearly recall Rashford had 2 may be more run into the box. May be due to good defending, or Rashford's poor 1st touch, or poor decision making, he ran the ball out of danger.

Even the Wolf's goal was almost out of bound as well, he cut back and managed to get a lucky shot, which you may not be so lucky against a Top side.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Rashford is normally better after returning from England duty where he's had some decent coaching and quality players around him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Probably my own fault for starting this thread but it’s turned into a bit of a trainwreck, full of unbearably bad takes.

FAO the goldfish memories. This isn’t career highlights. Or footage from years ago. This is all from one season. Last season. Just shows what they’re capable of when they hit some form.

I’m not sure why they’re both (actually all three, including Mason) struggling to replicate what we saw in this video but we’ll run away with the league if they manage it.

ZupZup

I’m not sure why they’re both (actually all three, including Mason) struggling to replicate what we saw in this video but we’ll run away with the league if they manage it.
This is the odd thing in a way. How we find ourselves at the top despite the fact that our front three have not been firing at all. I was sort of expecting them to even improve this season and kick on... but their form has been worse than what we know they are all capable of.

If they do hit form though in the second half of the season, we would be very serious title contenders.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I don't think it's either of their faults really, their 2 players who have wanted to play as strikers but then were shoved out on the wing for years and now are kind of in-between players, not particularly great at either position but ok at both.
You look where Rashford was when he first broke through and he had an instinct in and around the box, he knew when to shoot, now when he's through on goal he seems to never know when the best time to pull the trigger and seems to always end up holding onto the ball too long.

It's simply been bad player management and bad coaching. You can't play young players out of position for years on end and not expect it to have an effect on their development. And we don't learn we are doing exactly the same thing with Greenwood!

Hughes35

Rashford as a LW forward is more than good enough. Rashford as a striker or RW is a million miles away from the quality we need.

We badly need a RW and a CF. It will never happen but imagine the difference a Harry Kane would make to us? It's been way too long since we had a world class striker.

Plymouth Red

For a lad often not classed as intelligent he had a bloody good ‘footballing brain’ and was incredibly driven on the pitch. Two things that seem to be missing from Rashford and Martial
Couldn’t agree with you more. No comparison between them but Rooney was a once in a generation player, pretty much. The Haaland of his day. I don’t believe you can train that intelligence into players. It’s instinct and you either have it or you don’t.

wolvored

Put Rashford back on the left. Drop Martial for Cavani. Put Greenwood on the right. Persevere with this for the next 3 games. All 3 should improve in their more comfortable positions. Greenwoods confidence should come back as well

Hammondo

I'd be interested to know who people choose between Grealish and Rashford.

If we were to sign Grealish then there could be a problem for Rashford.
Grealish is a much better player.

cyberman

I'd be interested to know who people choose between Grealish and Rashford.

If we were to sign Grealish then there could be a problem for Rashford.
Cant see the point in replacing the only player who is carrying our front 3 as a goal threat this season.
Rashfords so called bad run is happening because hes shifted wide to the right or up top. Grealish doesnt affect that.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
He was unfairly slated by some fans. They had a clear agenda against Rooney.

Hawks2008

It really is time for them to be consistent 90 minute performers. Not kids any more and if they don't make big strides soon I don't think we can build around either of them long term.

Hammondo

If he is as bad as some have said then why is he rated as a 100mil plus player?
That rating has no real value though, hes only worth what a team would pay for him, and I highly doubt any team would offer close to that.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Provided we can find someone to pay good value (which I very much doubt knowing us), I unfortunately think it’s best for both parties if we cash in. I don’t see him hitting his potential here but he certainly has the ability to do it elsewhere. And from our perspective, the opportunity to sign a true no. 9 and right winger would suggest us having to choose between Martial and Rashford.

For all of the (fair) criticism Rashford takes, I have seen little to nothing from Martial under Solskjær to convince me I would rather him in the squad than Rashford.

Plymouth Red

That rating has no real value though, hes only worth what a team would pay for him, and I highly doubt any team would offer close to that.
The acid test is whether we would vote here to pay £100million for him if he was at another club and playing like he’s playing now.
Not an investment I would support.

Hammondo

The acid test is whether we would vote here to pay £100million for him if he was at another club and playing like he’s playing now.
Not an investment I would support.
With what you could do with that money instead of buying him I would think theres no chance we would buy him.

Falcow

So true. Neither are anywhere remotely close to Rooneys level.

stw2022

As a fan base we have a a problem admitting when a player we produce demonstrates limitations that they’re unlikely to grow out of.

Similar to Welbeck and Lingard where permanent limitations in their game were clear once they became established and those limitations persisted but many refused to accept there’s this and carried on the baseless hope that if we’ve produced then “they’ll come good”

Rashford isn’t a bad player, he is though a squad player. Same applies to Martial. Neither will develop beyond that but because we produced Rashford and not Martial there’ll be so many refusing to accept that until (and even when) he’s 33 and making the same mistakes.

Reactions: Crackers