Rashford and Martial are a problem

Doracle

Son does have more both goals and assists than Rashford so gotta give him that.
They both have 6 assists in the league (as do Cresswell and Digne), so it’s wrong on both counts. Cresswell and Digne don’t have more assists than Rashford and neither does Son.

Scholsey2004

Rashford is our second best player and cant credibly be described as a problem at all. Martial on the other hand is. He earns 250k a week but goes long spells without performing. We really should replace him if we're really serious about moving up a level.

Yakuza_devils

Martial is another player like Anderson, Lingard, Jones and etc. We are waiting forever for them to mature and be a top player.

The simple fact is that they are not good enough and we are wasting our time. We need to be more ruthless and moved on. Martial is a very good player on his days but is never consistent.

Lee565

The only other option for martial at the moment is to stick him on the right wing considering the other option aren't exactly exceptional and allow Greenwood to be the back striker option for cavani.

dcrompton

Can see why they are grouped together having identical appearances (253) and almost identical scoring records (Rash 85, Martial 78). It actually looked like last season they had both found their positions (Rash on left and Martial upfront) and with Greenwood emerging on the right it looked like we had sorted our front 3 positions. In terms of goalscoring, only Rashford has carried that through to this season with both Martial (7 goals) and Greenwood (4 goals) having a drastic drop-off from last season. So I agree with other posters that on the basis of this season, Rashford should not be lumped with Martial as not only is his form better, he also gets forced out of his favourite position on the left in order to accommodate a mis-firing Martial. The problem both players have is the inability to score scrappy goals and this is completely down to bad positioning or lack of desire. Players like Rooney or Tevez who chase down every ball with 100% effort still contribute when off form and look like they really care whereas laconic players such as Martial, or Berbatov before him end up looking like they don't care when off-form. Martial is obviously a favourite of Solskjaer's and last season it did look like a good move selling Lukaku and trusting in Martial but this season has to be one of the worst season's I've seen from a starting striker at United, certainly up there with Alexis Sanchez but at least we cut our losses and moved on whereas Martial continues to start games irrespective of performance.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rashford can still get a lot better which is the only criticism I'd have of him really. He's still very wasteful and very hot and cold. He has the potential to be a 30 goal a season player and up there as one of the best in the world, but he's still got a lot of rough edges to cut out if he's going to reach that level.

He's still going to manage 20 something goals this season, despite being a wide player, and, for reasons that are beyond baffling, being played on the wrong wing a significant amount of the time. That's pretty impressive. I mean I would say he should be aiming for the level of someone like Salah at the moment, but I'm not sure Salah would have 18 goals at this point if Liverpool kept shoving him on the wrong fecking wing so they could stick someone useless in his place.

Martial's perofrmances aren't even Martial's fault anymore.They're Ole's. He's offered absolutely nothing for months and yet still he starts over half our games, often other players are harshly treated or shunted around the team just to fit him in. At this point it is just telling him that it is ok to be completely useless because there is no consequence to it. Its getting fans needlessly on his back because no matter how bad he fails he's pushed back into the pool again. If somepone is waiting to drown instead of trying to swim there's no point leaving them in the water. Take him out and let him work to get back in. If he doesn't want to then you know he isn't made of the right stuff anyway.

Ole has this ridiculous habit of sticking with players even when the rest of the team is being forced to carry them game after game, and he only seems to wake up and change it when an injury or signing forces him to. We have plenty of players you can fit into the team who would offer more at this point. Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood, James, Mata, VDB, Diallo. If your're one of the ones struggling to get a game while Martial is picked time and again then at this point you probably start losing any trust in the manager as well.

I mean he's got 7 goals, and two were at the end of a 9-0 game when he was playing against a team with two players sent off. Another was a pity penalty because Rashford felt sorry for him. I haven't given up on him but it's beyond obvious he needs to be taken out of the first team for a bit.

Lappen

I am the kind of person thats always believes the best or atlest good about people and what they are doing, and maybe I need to open my eyes a bit earlier when problems banging on the door...

But I believe we are a little bit unlucky with de attacking players form. Right now three or four (if you count Cavani)out of our strikers are out of form at the same time, and on top of that we have the two guys Pogba and Fernandes. The two that are the ones that should serve our strikers with assist, not on the pitch or not doing great at the moment.
A year ago when they all looked sharp, at the same time, we had the best attacking three in the league.

I believe its the strange year that is hitting os now, like its hitting others as well. Let's hope we turn it around fast...

I do blame Ole for some players dip, especially when it comes to the players he newer sub or rest. Rashford, Bruno, Maguire.

I'm not sure what I believe when it comes to Fred, but it looks like someone told him to shot allot and try to pass the ball like Pogba. Hope he gets the feedback that he should play it simple after this game.

So, I don't believe the two are the problem more than just at the moment. And the service they get is probably a bigger issue.

Last edited:

OleBoiii

I think the club genuinely expects both of them to become world class at any moment.

In the last 3 summer transfer windows we've signed 3 attacking players. This doesn't sound so bad until you realise that the combined price for all 3 is roughly 30 million pounds. And none of the players were expected to be dead-on starters(James, Cavani, Diallo). The fact that we've sold or loaned out several other attackers during the same period makes it even more apparent that the club is banking on Rashford and Martial to take that final, crucial step up.

We obviously needed to strengthen all areas, but we've spent 5 times as much money on our midfield and 6 times as much on our defence. That strikes me as serious neglect of the arguably most important area of the pitch. We probably payed 20 million too much for Maguire and I still don't know why we signed Van De Beek, but even if we adjust for this the neglect of our attack is still jarring.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't believe for one second the club truly see a world class talent in Martial anymore seeing as we've been sniffing around other strikers for the last couple of years and clearly want Haaland.

wolvored

We ought to see if Dortmund would take Martial and cash for Haaland. Martial will never be a top striker at Utd and maybe never elsewhere as well.