Rashford | Back in training (22nd May 2020)

Bojan11

200 appearances for club. People were celebrating this last week. Club has run him in the ground.

Fergie and proper management would have looked after him. He wouldn’t be making that many appearances for us if we had a proper squad.

Nitewolf

Where is the evidence? Surely someone will get fired if this is true. It it isn't true, I'm not missing the point because players play through pain all the time. If Rashford had the green-light from the medical team to play, then the injury that happened weren't likely to happen. I'm no back expert I don't know what happened. I've hurt my back badly before and I know how devastating it can be so I have no patience for it if someone has done something bad here. I just want solid evidence.

What more evidence do you want?
Was he not known to the club that he is injured? Yes they knew it, he was photographed carrying a bone healing device before the Norwich game. He left the field post Arsenal basically limping. Ole decided not to start him against Wolves but latter took a gamble.

Let's say he didn't have a fracture before the Wolves game, OK. So you have a 22 years old who is complaining of backache and is limping because of his pain? You want to tell me that they simply ignored it and didn't do the proper investigations to find out way? OK, then it's neglect rather that deliberate, does this make it sound better? But I don't believe a club of this is caliber didn't do the proper investigations to a young player known to have back issues.

Did they not know that he has back problems for a while now, it was known beforehand, you have a journalist basically pleading them not to risk his back before the Wolves game.

Is it a single incident or a pattern? It's definitely a pattern, just in Ole's era we have seen it with Lingard in the Liverpool game last season, with Paul Pogba, with Maguire right now who almost returned - to everybody's surprise - earlier than what's expected.

It was well known to the medical team and the manager that he has at least a big concern that could be aggregated and still they played him. It was a Russian roulette game, it was bound to happen.

starman

So it is clear Ole knew what Rashford had beforehand and even mention that Rash was struggling post Norwich, then 4 days later

You clearly have NO idea what you are talking about.
No that will be you, you are obviously being driven by media talk. Let me guess you are a armchair supporter thats probably never even played the game before, and never has experienced playing with niggles. You clearly do not understand what a impact injury is.

Green_Red

Yeah pretty much, the man is desperate for results so rushes players back. Happened woth Pogba, Rashford, McT and even Lingard last season and they all aggravated injuries. It is idiotic and self serving.
Why can the narrative not be "the players are so hungry to get back into the team they have downplayed their injuries in order to try to help recover the season for their manager"?

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Injuries and medical issues are really areas of football where pundits who's only claim to an opinion is that they use to play professional football, should really just shut the feck up.

Unless you have a back ground in sports physiology or medicine, you are not qualified what so ever to discuss what United should or should not have done. If the sports science team are saying, things are fine, then its not up to the rest of the world to debate what should or shouldnt be done at the club.

There's a significant amount of lay opinions spruked in this thread by people who honestly dont have a clue and are using this as a stick to beat the club with.

As somebody who has been exposed to a number of sports scientists, these people are not just clowns off the street nor would United even consider hiring average sports scientists. Our team would be up there in the top echelons of any sport and thats in an industry where the competitiveness for jobs is literally insane and up there with lawyers in that regard.

What could be a reason for our injuries is the fact that Manchester is a cold wet climate which results in far more use of artificial turf pitches and cold weather training. Both factors which would be considered in any conditioning program. Further, given the speed of which the game is played at now, people like Ian fecking Wright who played when you could go out on the lash the night before and play the next day and your career was over by 33, shouldn't comment what so ever.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Why can the narrative not be "the players are so hungry to get back into the team they have downplayed their injuries in order to try to help recover the season for their manager"?
Or, Ole was told that Rashford was carrying XYZ issues by the sports science department. X's opinion was that he probably shouldn't play but that it would not be detrimental to the overral well being of the player if he did. To date, Rashfords injuries are not substantial but there is a risk that if Rashford's recovery does hit xyc points in the next 4-6 weeks he may be prone to further issues.

L1nk

He's absolutely wumming at this point surely, Rashford will start tomorrow and he'll be 100% healthy

Green_Red

Or, Ole was told that Rashford was carrying XYZ issues by the sports science department. X's opinion was that he probably shouldn't play but that it would not be detrimental to the overral well being of the player if he did. To date, Rashfords injuries are not substantial but there is a risk that if Rashford's recovery does hit xyc points in the next 4-6 weeks he may be prone to further issues.
Yea exactly. Why is it the managers fault?

I know there will be people in here that will shit the bed and say "oh youre just an Ole fanboy" but we need to wake up to the negativity that the media are cultivating against this club. We lost the other night and even Gary "we need 5 or 6 new signings" Neville shit the bed. We dont need 5 or 6 new signigs we need 2 or 3 signings, and 3 or 4 back from injury. Gary Neville wouldnt have had a career at this football club if we turned on players then like we do now.

Hawks2008

Because the manager has the final say, he has risked injured players multiple times and it backfired. Were wins against Rochdale and Wolves so important that it's worth losing Pogba and Rashford for large parts of the season?

Really poor squad management, and depth is no excuse because he sent 7 players packing so far and naively thought he could make do with what we have and only 3 incoming, two of which were in defence where we don't lack bodies at all.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Explain?

Rashford took a hit to the back and McTominay went into a heavy tackle at a poor angle.

They were both certainly impact injuries.
yes impact on an area that’s already injured is likely to make that injury worse. No?

momo83

Massive Snowflake
No that will be you, you are obviously being driven by media talk. Let me guess you are a armchair supporter thats probably never even played the game before, and never has experienced playing with niggles. You clearly do not understand what a impact injury is.
Just like Ian Wright?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Well that's what happens when your manager plays you even when your injured. Another great decision from the great manager that is OGS
Managers don't determine fitness. Medical staff does. There are many indications that our medical staff is not good, but it is VERY unlikely this is on Ole. He wouldn't play Rashford if he knew Rashy was injured. And Rashford himself is also not crazy to have done it. You think any professional footballer would risk a long-term injury? That is insane.

meamth

Just like Ian Wright?
Ian Wright is a medical expert?

During his time, does the medical science as advanced as it is now?

Like us, he has no clue. Telling his opinion based on his days are irrelevant.

Ibi Dreams

Managers don't determine fitness. Medical staff does. There are many indications that our medical staff is not good, but it is VERY unlikely this is on Ole. He wouldn't play Rashford if he knew Rashy was injured. And Rashford himself is also not crazy to have done it. You think any professional footballer would risk a long-term injury? That is insane.
He has literally admitted to playing Rashford despite Rashford being injured

When asked if he was worried about Rashford, the Norwegian added:

"Yeah of course. I didn't want to play him.

"I think he got a knock to his knee in his back, but he's been struggling for a little while, that's why we've kept him away today.

"But we needed the win, he was involved in the goal - so that was a positive - but it backfired. We will do everything we can to get him fit for Sunday."
So it isn't true that it's all down to the medical team. Ole works with them, but ultimately if he wants to play a player before they're really ready then he can, and he has.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Feck ,its such a depressing read. He is out for the season.
Yeah I'm resigned to losing him for the season now.

That means on top of Fernandes, we need to get another striker in. I don't think we will, seeing how Woodward can only focus on one transfer at a time (:rolleyes:) so we are looking at relying on Martial and Greenwood as strikers, while hoping the likes of Lingard, Pereira, James and Mata can score a few goals.

It's looking increasingly likely that we're actually fecked.

Meep

I guess it has been said before. This is on the medical staff which apparently don't know what they are doing. On a side note, Rashford looks very stiff in his body and I have talked about this with friends years ago that it seems he should be getting yoga classes or other similar training for strong joints and getting more flexible and athletic. These kinds of injuries are bound for those who are inflexible in the lower back and hips.

Green_Red

Because the manager has the final say, he has risked injured players multiple times and it backfired. Were wins against Rochdale and Wolves so important that it's worth losing Pogba and Rashford for large parts of the season?

Really poor squad management, and depth is no excuse because he sent 7 players packing so far and naively thought he could make do with what we have and only 3 incoming, two of which were in defence where we don't lack bodies at all.
All 7 of those players were useless deadwood by everyone reasoning. If they were still here you'd be complaining about that.

A manager can only go by what a player tells them and what the club doctors tell them.

Was it poor squad management when Ferguson let Keane have injections in his hip before games so that he could continue a title run, even though the club knew he needed hip surgery? I've even heard a United player say they had a back problem so bad that they had to slide down the stairs on their back the morning of a game and would then have injections by the club doctor before the game. Rio was it? Was that bad management too? Or was it to players willing to give everything to their manager, team, club and supporters?

I mean, personally I prefer the positive narrative about our club. Just a pity it's not for everyone.

Dr. StrangeHate

Because players won't put themselves in harms way for a manager. They have too much to lose.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I find it absolutely comical that the Caf knows more about sports medicine than the Medical staff at Manchester United. Get a goddamn grip on reality. This insane vitriol and need to blame someone over a freak injury after a bad challenge by Rashford himself just needs to stop.

Grow up.

To put this into perspective: Marcus Rashford has played.............................61st most minutes of any player in the Premier League this season. SIXTY FIRST. Honestly I am just waiting for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to suffer a broken vertebrae from playing so many games this season, having played more than Rashford. Wilfried Zaha with a cool 213 more Premier League minutes than Marcus Rashford this season might just in be danger of straight up dying on the pitch any moment now considering his advanced age and reduced recovery capabilities compared to young brittle bones starlet March Rashford. George Baldock who has not seen a minute of Premier League break this season is probably already dead and Sheffield United are pulling a Weekend at Bernie's on us right now.

Yes I'm aware that he's also played cups. But guess what, so has everyone else.

Virgil van Dijk's over-use memorial will be held following Gameweek 38 of the Premier League for having been played so much, fracturing all his limbs and shattering his jaw trying to bite into a grape the day before the final game of the season.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I find it absolutely comical that the Caf knows more about sports medicine than the Medical staff at Manchester United. Get a goddamn grip on reality. This insane vitriol and need to blame someone over a freak injury after a bad challenge by Rashford himself just needs to stop.

Grow up.
I think you will be swimming against the tide here mate but I agree with you. We have absolutely no idea what's happened and while it's very unfortunate and gutting that Rashford is potentially out for the season, I think it's fair to say this is one of those freak occurrences that sometimes happens. Guys like Ian Wright (who I normally think is decent at punditry) doesn't help saying things like Ole has put short term gain due to pressure on him over the welfare of a young player. That's extremely unlikely in my view.

mancan92

Grow up.
Comical or sad?

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Ian Wright is a medical expert?

During his time, does the medical science as advanced as it is now?

Like us, he has no clue. Telling his opinion based on his days are irrelevant.
I didn’t realise human being were completely different 20 years ago. Gosh evolution is speeding up

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd

Grow up.

To put this into perspective: Marcus Rashford has played.............................61st most minutes of any player in the Premier League this season. SIXTY FIRST. Honestly I am just waiting for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to suffer a broken vertebrae from playing so many games this season, having played more than Rashford. Wilfried Zaha with a cool 213 more Premier League minutes than Marcus Rashford this season might just in be danger of straight up dying on the pitch any moment now considering his advanced age and reduced recovery capabilities compared to young brittle bones starlet March Rashford. George Baldock who has not seen a minute of Premier League break this season is probably already dead and Sheffield United are pulling a Weekend at Bernie's on us right now.

Virgil van Dijk's over-use memorial will be held following Gameweek 38 of the Premier League for having been played so much, fracturing all his limbs and shattering his jaw trying to bite into a grape the day before the final game of the season.
Even old man Cristiano Ronaldo has more minutes than Rashford. But some posters like to create their own narrative.. As said by Ben Dinnery, leading expert on injuries, it is very difficult to diagnose and would probably happen at some time either way. I can understand journalists trying to make a spin. But at the levels seen on here!? By supposedly our own fans? It’s just mental.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I guess it has been said before. This is on the medical staff which apparently don't know what they are doing. On a side note

Grow up.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Grow up.

:lol: This is the kind of post I come to Caf for. Well done :)

P.S. We still have a problem with our fitness staff/regiment because we clearly have more injuries than others. That's just numbers, so something is clearly wrong. But point about how just playing a lot is not a direct path to injuries and doctors are not idiots for not limiting playing time is well made

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I doubt half an hour against Wolves had much affect on the odds of the damaged area actually turning into a fracture. If not that match, then sometime soon after I suspect.

I wouldn't be surprised if the advice from the medical team was that he either needed a couple of months rest or he could carry on playing until the pain got too bad and then take a couple of months rest. In those situations players often try to keep playing until they can take a break in the closed season.

At any rate, it doesn't look like United or Marcus want to give us all the gory details so I guess we're left speculating. Personally I prefer to assume our medical staff are doctors, and not incompetent.

momo83

Massive Snowflake

Grow up.

The point isn’t how much he’s played. It’s that he was played while he was already injured and that made an existing injury even more serious.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The point isn’t how much he’s played. It’s that he was played while he was already injured and that made an existing injury even more serious.
That injury would have happened anyway. He was either gonna be out for 12 weeks last week or this week.

Green_Red

:lol: This is the kind of post I come to Caf for. Well done :)

P.S. We still have a problem with our fitness staff/regiment because we clearly have more injuries than others. That's just numbers, so something is clearly wrong. But point about how just playing a lot is not a direct path to injuries and doctors are not idiots for not limiting playing time is well made
Similar happened at Liverpool and City when Klopp and Guardiola came and instigated a higher press with more energy. It was always going to take a season for the squad to adapt to the change from slow sideways football to high energy pressing.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Thanks for posting this. It's a good read.

From the article
Who’s to blame?
I’ve read all the speculation in relation to the performance of the Manchester United Sports Medicine Team on social media; however, he is in fact in the very best of hands. From the outside looking in, it is very easy to criticise and let’s face it everyone has a PHD in “hindsight”. Not knowing all the facts pertaining to this specific case, I do not doubt that the medical team at United always acted in the best interests of the player. Injuries happen and if one were to lay blame anywhere, then the rising nature of fixture overload would be a reasonable place to start.
Maybe this will give us a break from all the agenda-posting.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Thanks for posting this. It's a good read.

From the article
Maybe this will give us a break from all the agenda-posting.
No problem. I figured, with all the speculation, it'd help to have actual medical opinion from someone who has worked with footballers.