Rashford considering his future...

RedDevil@84

Worst case scenario; giving him a new contract at the very least ensures we get a healthy fee if selling him on becomes the only option.
What kind of magic is this? If Ten hag comes and we decide to sell him, it will be because he has fallen further on form. Which means we will not get any healthy fee if we sell him. And no one will pay his salary. So he will just stick around till end of his new contract, while earning 275k or way more pw.

caid

What the feck is he talking about a good preseason? Were in the middle of a season now! You cant have a seasons worth of shit form and write off months of games for 'ill get my act together next season'.

Kaos

Yeah forgive me for not buying it.

We were told it was his injuries that hampered him last season. So we let him have his surgeries and gave him as much time as he needed to recover. Yet he came back poorer than ever.

What happens then if after Rashford gets a full preseason with a new manager and still stinks the place up. Who do we blame next? The new manager?

There has to be a point where we act ruthless for once and pull up the drawbridge instead of shoehorning his mediocrity into the team for the sake of PR.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
What kind of magic is this? If Ten hag comes and we decide to sell him, it will be because he has fallen further on form. Which means we will not get any healthy fee if we sell him. And no one will pay his salary. So he will just stick around till end of his new contract, while earning 275k or way more pw.
That's like the worst case scenario, I guess :p

What bothers me is that the club has decided to extend his contract without consulting the new manager, same for Luke Shaw by all accounts. Would it not have made more sense to allow Ten Hag time to assess the squad's capabilities and decide for himself on who he wants to keep?

RedDevil@84

That's like the worst case scenario, I guess :p

What bothers me is that the club has decided to extend his contract without consulting the new manager, same for Luke Shaw by all accounts. Would it not have made more sense to allow Ten Hag time to assess the squad's capabilities and decide for himself on who he wants to keep?
Ok my bad then. I understood it as "in worst case scenario, we extend and get a healthy fee" :p

I am not in favor of extending any of the existing lot. None of them deserve any new contracts, unless we are talking about decreasing their salaries for gross incompetence.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Well this is an British Club so maybe go support another club in another country if you cant stand the British core so much. PSG?

Absolute bell end and I hope you never become a proper member on this site.

I hate this hate people try to create by increasing a problem with the British players on our squad; acting like we never had success with them ever before.

Don't reply to me Jack'as*.
:lol:

afatzp

Well a pre-season is just a 4-week training session. If Rashford needs it so badly to resume form, then this international break already counts two weeks . He has lost his place in last two months so no need to prepare for starting each game. So just request the 1-month time to have special training session and back in form.

Or maybe just feck off for another excuse here ?

romufc

Well a pre-season is just a 4-week training session. If Rashford needs it so badly to resume form, then this international break already counts two weeks . He has lost his place in last two months so no need to prepare for starting each game. So just request the 1-month time to have special training session and back in form.

Or maybe just feck off for another excuse here ?
I don't get this pre season bullshit. Its 4 weeks like you said, he must have trained on things when he was coming back from injury.

There was a week off in January for the winter break and 2 weeks now. What does he want?

Watch when it comes to the summer, the headlines will say Rashford needs extra week of to recover then come pre season or whatever.

UncleBob

Bang on.

Hopefully, Ten Hag can get Rashford playing again. Worst case scenario; giving him a new contract at the very least ensures we get a healthy fee if selling him on becomes the only option.
Yes, worked brilliantly with Jones, Rojo, a certain goalkeeper etc etc etc.

The worst case scenario by giving him a new contract now is that he continues to perform the way he has for the past 15 months or so, and that there isn’t a single club in the world willing to sign him:
- for a decent fe
- on anywhere near his wages

And that we’ll quite simply be stuck with a player that is very well aware that he’ll never get close to earning similar amounts of money somewhere else, so he’ll stick around until he can bugger off for free.

That’s the worst case scenario.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yes, worked brilliantly with Jones, Rojo, a certain goalkeeper etc etc etc.

The worst case scenario by giving him a new contract now is that he continues to perform the way he has for the past 15 months or so, and that there isn’t a single club in the world willing to sign him:
- for a decent fe
- on anywhere near his wages

And that we’ll quite simply be stuck with a player that is very well aware that he’ll never get close to earning similar amounts of money somewhere else, so he’ll stick around until he can bugger off for free.

That’s the worst case scenario.
That's like the worst worst-case scenario, though. Clearly there are levels to this stuff.

Rashford will be out of contract the summer after next, meaning he'll go for free if the club chooses not to renew it. That's just bad business, I'm sure you'll agree. We may as well give him a new contract now and hope he turns his form around. Failing that, at least we'll have a bargaining chip when it comes to selling him on the following summer.

In any case, Rashford isn't the biggest concern for the club right now. For me, the priority this summer should be upgrading the long-neglected midfield. I cannot express how disappointed I'll be if we start next season with McFred in the midfield :p

clarkydaz

I don't get this pre season bullshit. Its 4 weeks like you said, he must have trained on things when he was coming back from injury.

There was a week off in January for the winter break and 2 weeks now. What does he want?

Watch when it comes to the summer, the headlines will say Rashford needs extra week of to recover then come pre season or whatever.
they had a week off when ole was sacked aswell

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Only if I was allowed to post that image where someone reaches out to their drawer full of excuses.

UncleBob

That's like the worst worst-case scenario, though. Clearly there are levels to this stuff.

Rashford will be out of contract the summer after next, meaning he'll go for free if the club chooses not to renew it. That's just bad business, I'm sure you'll agree. We may as well give him a new contract now and hope he turns his form around. Failing that, at least we'll have a bargaining chip when it comes to selling him on the following summer.

In any case, Rashford isn't the biggest concern for the club right now. For me, the priority this summer should be upgrading the long-neglected midfield. I cannot express how disappointed I'll be if we start next season with McFred in the midfield :p
We can extend his contract until 2024, given his form the past 15 months i’m not entirely sure i see the point in handing him a long term contract extension, especially if it involves increasing his wages in any way. If he doesn’t improve by christmas, then we’re talking two years of not performing well enough. What do we do then? If there’s one thing we’ve proven without doubt, it’s that the contracts our players are on won’t be matched anywhere else. Expensive long term contracts given to players we can’t get rid of needs to be a thing of the past.

From my point of view, we still have two years before he can feck off on a free transfer, which is plenty of time for Rashford to show he actually deserves an extension. Until he does, we should consider the fact that he’s already on a contract that no one else is going to match

roseguy64

We can extend his contract until 2024, given his form the past 15 months i’m not entirely sure i see the point in handing him a long term contract extension, especially if it involves increasing his wages in any way. If he doesn’t improve by christmas, then we’re talking two years of not performing well enough. What do we do then? If there’s one thing we’ve proven without doubt, it’s that the contracts our players are on won’t be matched anywhere else. Expensive long term contracts given to players we can’t get rid of needs to be a thing of the past.

From my point of view, we still have two years before he can feck off on a free transfer, which is plenty of time for Rashford to show he actually deserves an extension. Until he does, we should consider the fact that he’s already on a contract that no one else is going to match
I agree. We can begin talks now fine. But absolutely no need to agree on anything until we see how he does next season. If he's not able to make England's WC squad then we'll know he's not worth an increase in wages then.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

My thoughts as well. Give him up to the WC to see if he can recuperate his form. That will give him 3-4 months to fight for his United career and us 18 months if he doesn't look like he's going to and try and get something for him. Even if it's only a nominal fee it will send a message to the rest of the squad that no one is safe if they're not performing. I'd say a large percentage of our problems stem from our players coasting knowing it doesn't really matter how they play given that a lot of our players have been given new contracts without earning it or being past it.

I will be absolutely livid if he's given a new contract with a pay rise this summer although given our track record with extensions it wouldn't surprise me.

hobbers

'Needs the right support to get back to himself'

Fascinating how a whole team of PR people manage to come up with such drivel.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I watched Foster interviewing Emi Martinez and asked him what kind of advice you would give to the young player now. Emi mentioned to get psychologist as early as possible because it's very important since sport is about mental game. It's an interesting one because Emi mentioned this multiple times that when he was at Arsenal he thought about early retirement. If Rashford wants the right support, go get professional that can help him in his tough period aka psychologist.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I agree. We can begin talks now fine. But absolutely no need to agree on anything until we see how he does next season. If he's not able to make England's WC squad then we'll know he's not worth an increase in wages then.
The end of next season, he'll have 1 year left on his contract. When will we ever learn to NOT leave player with one year left on his contract?
It's this stupid policy that make us either overpaid players wage or player leave for free (with player just lazing around on his last year).

Well I'm sure you know this already, don't you?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
The end of next season, he'll have 1 year left on his contract. When will we ever learn to NOT leave player with one year left on his contract?
It's this stupid policy that make us either overpaid players wage or player leave for free (with player just lazing around on his last year).

So what is the answer with Rashford? Give him 3 more years with a wage hike leaving him unsellable or wait until he has 18 months left and then review the situation? Giving him a new contract now would be a sign of just how badly the club is run.

Hammondo

One of our biggest problems has been hanging onto players that are not good enough.

Hammondo

I think it would be close to impossible to sell him with his wages.

wolvored

Agree. Give him 1 year contract extension on the same salary if absolutely necessary. Say if you get back to form like you reckon and were challenging we will look at it again in 12 months time.

iHicksy

If he thinks United are a family then he won't be asking for anymore money on his already undeserved contract will he? Dad I know I crashed the car and killed the neighbors cat but I need my allowance tripled, thanks.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think it would be close to impossible to sell him with his wages.
Well, we either extend his contract - with as minimal a salary increase as possible - or run the risk of facing another Pogba-type situation the summer after next, which basically removes choice from the equation. The club has to extend and hope he regains his form.

Woodward is at fault here (again) for handing out bloated contracts to practically anyone willing to play for the club. The same guy who thought paying Jesse Lingard £100k a week was a good idea. Mind-boggling stuff.

Cloud7

Well, we either extend his contract - with as minimal a salary increase as possible - or run the risk of facing another Pogba-type situation the summer after next, which basically removes choice from the equation. The club has to extend and hope he regains his form.

Woodward is at fault here (again) for handing out bloated contracts to practically anyone willing to play for the club. The same guy who thought paying Jesse Lingard £100k a week was a good idea. Mind-boggling stuff.
Is a Pogba type situation that bad? Focusing in on Rashford here, let’s say the club was to renew and then his form doesn’t pick up and they decide to sell him, the overlap of clubs that can afford his wages, and clubs that would be interested in getting him is likely to be very small. And then we risk getting stuck with an underperforming player on huge wages again. “Protecting the value of the player” is a concept that has not yielded a single positive outcome for us in the last decade.

I am almost sure the club will not try to sell him this summer, and fair enough. However if he does not improve then there’s no harm in letting him walk for free. If his form does improve then the club can extend his contract at that point.

AndySmith1990

We could always offer a decreased wage due to poor performance. It's then upto him whether he wants to stay or chase more money

Hammondo

I agree that the problem is bloated contracts, but I think its best for us to let him go.

hobbers

At absolute most we should trigger his 1 year extension and give him the start of next season to prove his career isn't finished.

We're already paying him 5x his value. A new contract on better terms would be sickening and ruinous to our wage bill.

Foxbatt

He is different from the Pogba situation. We didn't pay a transfer fee for neither Rashford nor Lingard.
So let him go if he wants to or accept a reduced salary.
Can you imagine the pr uproar that would be caused by his team if United offers him a reduced wage?

RedDevil@84

Yup, he deserves a payrise. And Shaw too. Maybe we should renegotiate the Maguire contract and increase his salary as well, so that his hurt feelings after the booing are assuaged

yipthatman

I would like to announce that I am considering my future too, as is everyone else that I know.