g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rashford dropped from senior England squad

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Group F will be worth a watch.

GazTheLegend

It's a political decision by Sam Allardyce to put pressure on Mou to pick him. It's fine and as much as I want to be annoyed by it, I agree with it and also want to see Rashford ahead of Rooney, frankly.

However, if he picks Walcott or something instead then I riot.

Nogbadthebad

Its fine as long as it doesn't hurt the lads confidence. I am sure jose has talked through his position at the club with the lad and let him know where his chances will come, I would hope big sam has done the same.

Creepy

Account relocated to MaxiPaxi
So will Allardyce be dropping Smalling next?
Hey Pogue, let me first say that I've been reading your posts for a long time and I absolutely love hearing your opinion on United, General Forums, et al. I'm glad you're back.

No, I don't think Sam would omit Chris. Dropped from the starting XI, probably.

On Rashford's omission - it's a good decision in my opinion. Let him get some decent experience under his belt, rather than 20 minute cameos, however good they may be.

Sp00ks11

Bull shit. He dribbles and shows some pace against a tired defender battling for a point.

Good cameo, but the only bright spot and motm? You're pushing it.
Please let me know your bright spot. :lol:

Harts goalkeeping?
Rooneys touch?
No player being able to even make 10 yard passes?
Harry Kane's finishing?
Sterlings dribbling into nowhere?

Devil may care

I'm hugely hopeful that Rashford will be our long term #9 but I am sick of all the cart before the horse mongers, he's only 18, a little bit of a slow down in his rise wont hurt him over the long haul IMO, in fact being out of the spotlight for a bit will probably do him good.

izzydiggler

If Allardyce thinks the U21's is the best avenue of development, then he should just say so - if missing 2 league games means "not playing" now then he's opening himself up for criticism every time he picks someone who's missed a game.

As for Taylor's 'facts', he's also had 19 appearances (according to Manutd.com) since the 25th February...based on nothing but a hunch, I'm betting it's more than most of the England squad, so it would appear that his omission is based on the belief that he won't play under Mourinho...could be true (and possibly likely) but at the moment, it seems harsh to drop him based on no evidence.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hey Pogue, let me first say that I've been reading your posts for a long time and I absolutely love hearing your opinion on United, General Forums, et al. I'm glad you're back.

No, I don't think Sam would omit Chris. Dropped from the starting XI, probably.

On Rashford's omission - it's a good decision in my opinion. Let him get some decent experience under his belt, rather than 20 minute cameos, however good they may be.
Well that's nice of you to say that.

I think you're probably right about Smalling.

parisite

If you're not getting any serious game time for your club you'll probably not get selected for your country.
It's something players need to take into consideration when signing for clubs like Utd, Rashford still has plenty of time though. Schneiderlin on the other hand needs to ask for a transfer if he still has any international aspirations.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
:lol: at people comparing this with Hart's situation.

It's perfectly reasonable and this will do Rashford more good than warming the bench in the senior squad. Fair call by Big Sam and his comments are spot on as well.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I could care less about his England career but the logic in the Tweet in OP is ridiculous. Its not like he's lost any quality or England have developed better senior Strikers during the first two Prem games. Utterly ridiculous if that's the reason.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Please let me know your bright spot. :lol:

Harts goalkeeping?
Rooneys touch?
No player being able to even make 10 yard passes?
Harry Kane's finishing?
Sterlings dribbling into nowhere?
Dier has to count as a bright spot. At least if the benchmark is a couple of minutes worth of Rash.

Others too played well enough before everything went to hell.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
More annoyed there is an international break at all.

Minimalist

Not reading the article but Sam's comments are fair enough. Rashford is always better off playing than sitting on the bench. Nothing to worry about unless Mourinho doesn't bother playing him in the cup games.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Rashford played 6 minutes in the Euro. Playing for under 21 is a fair decision, instead of sitting in the bench and playing as a sub for the last 10 minutes. How is this an outrage when he doesn't play for United yet have to play for England?

Lostie007

Poor lad needs to be given his head

He did nothing wrong and deserves to start for United on merit

pacifictheme

That's harsh imo. It's been two games into the PL season ffs, he will get tons of playtime in the coming weeks. Such a black and white view from England.
Arguably got called up too soon anyway. Vardy and Kane were on fire and Rooneys england form was brilliant. Plus sturridge. He'd only played about 15 senior games...

No issues with u21 role. He'll probably start which is better than not playing for the senior squad.

RedStarUnited

Id agree with Sam if he also didnt pick Rooney cos he is passed it. Until a manager pulls a stunt like that for England, I dont trust them.

Retire Rooney and start working on the team for the world cup. Rashford should be im that team, the earlier these guys start working together the better.

Kag

It's a non issue. He'll benefit more from the game time at U21 level. With any luck he'll hit the back of the net and enter September full of confidence.

R'hllor

Who gives a feck,if he is smart enough,he shouldnt play for England anyway.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Mata has played for the Senior team in the World Cup 2010 and 12 months later for the U21 team in the Euros.

Rashford wouldn't start for the Senior team against Slovakia but he'll start for the U21 team against Norway = Right decision and that should make everyone happy
And he is 18-years old and not 21 for feck sake :houllier:
Hart isn't playing either and won't be dropped I guess.
At least he be starting games, but then he has picked Joe Hart
No big really, it might be better for Rashford long-term, but really, England don't have a player like Rashford.

Pretty funny Sam still Hart though, even though he's not playing and about to be sold
1) Hart has played against Steaua Bucharest.

2) Hart plays for England since 2008.....Rashford plays for England since 2 months.

3) Butland is still not 100% fit therefore of course Hart should be in the squad with Forster and Heaton......whether he starts against Slovakia is another question.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He still qualifies for the U21s for a couple of years for goodness sake, hasn't had a competitive minute yet, so makes great sense to actually get a full game in.

Will Absolute

Is selection based on merit or not? In every game I've seen in which Rooney and Rashford have worn the same shirt, whether at club or international level, Rashford has been the better player. Yet Rooney is assured of his spot, and Rashford is dumped. You have to wonder about the motives of managers and the politics of football.

Bwuk

I'd be playing him upfront with Kane from the start.

Rashford has it, whatever it is.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Come on, Hart has been a mainstay in the team for years, Rashford has what, 3 or 4 caps? Hart is an adult and he already is a finished article (albeit not the greatest), Rashford is a teen who has Kane, Vardy, Rooney and Sturridge ahead of him in the picking order. He may be the most exciting prospect with the highest ceiling but some actual game time with U-21 is probably better for him at this point. We all know how bad Rooney is but he will still be getting his game time until he's forty

He'll get his caps, it's not like Sam is dropping him altogether.

Redlyn

Hart isn't playing either and won't be dropped I guess.

Fun thing is, when Milik wasn't playing at Leverkusen and Augsburg or struggled/didn't play at Ajax, our coach Nawałka still kept calling him up for national duties, played him and then it all repaid as Milik was one of our best players during qualifiers.

It's probably no biggie and understandable and all, Marcus will get called up once he gets some gametime but still, sometimes you just trust in a player, take a gamble and it repays.
Rashford has barely played for england, in fact he's barely played senior football in general and is not helped by the fact that England has other good options. Its not at all comparable to dropping an experienced long serving NT player irrespective of what is going on at their club.

Nothing wrong with this imo, he's got all the time ahead of him to step back up.

Reactions: Penna

saivet

He's barely played for england, in fact he's barely played senior football in general at a time when England has other good options. Its not at all comparable to dropping an experienced long serving NT player irrespective of what is going on in your club.

Nothing wrong with this imo, he's got all the time ahead of him to step back up.
Added his competion isn't even great. One of his biggest rivals still hasn't played for months due to injury.

Angelinho

Given his lack of action thus far, it's far better that he starts for the U21, than sit on the bench for the seniors.

krombacher92

:lol: at people comparing this with Hart's situation.

It's perfectly reasonable and this will do Rashford more good than warming the bench in the senior squad. Fair call by Big Sam and his comments are spot on as well.
Correct