Rashford dropped from senior England squad

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Rashford is playing for the U-21s instead of the senior team at the next international break. Our journalist friend seems to think this is because he hasn't played for United so far this season. Apparently Allardyce has come out and said as much (although I can't find quotes)

Discuss.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Fair. He'll probably get straight back in once he's a united regular again.

Shark

@NotShark
That's harsh imo. It's been two games into the PL season ffs, he will get tons of playtime in the coming weeks. Such a black and white view from England.

kps88

No big deal. His rise last season was way ahead of schedule anyway.

Hitch

He was the best thing about England this tournament and is a future England striker - good job dropping him Big Sam.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
it will be better for him to actually play for U21s (I assume he will start) rather than sit on the bench for the full team

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Was coming. Allardyce said this a few days ago:

"Rashford is not playing now so it makes it harder for me to select him, as exciting as he was last year and how he burst on the scene.

"At such a young age, do I say, 'Go and play in the Under-21s, get used to international football there, play regularly there and it will help you eventually, hopefully to break into the Manchester United team and then break into the England senior team'?

"You've got all those scenarios to consider."

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Echoing what others have said, I'm extremely unperturbed by this.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

"Rashford is not playing now so it makes it harder for me to select him, as exciting as he was last year and how he burst on the scene.

"At such a young age, do I say, 'Go and play in the Under-21s, get used to international football there, play regularly there and it will help you eventually, hopefully to break into the Manchester United team and then break into the England senior team'?

Allardyce is a good man. Always said it.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
England (on paper) have plenty of fire power anyway, it's not like when Rooney broke through and he was up against the likes of James Beattie and Heskey.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Hart isn't playing either and won't be dropped I guess.

Fun thing is, when Milik wasn't playing at Leverkusen and Augsburg or struggled/didn't play at Ajax, our coach Nawałka still kept calling him up for national duties, played him and then it all repaid as Milik was one of our best players during qualifiers.

It's probably no biggie and understandable and all, Marcus will get called up once he gets some gametime but still, sometimes you just trust in a player, take a gamble and it repays.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It doesn't make that much sense in my opinion, considering he's turned it on without having lots of (or any) senior games before already.

That said if it means plenty of u21 starts it's not a bad thing either.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't particularly care and would rather Marcus fill his boots for the U-21s than sit on the bench for the seniors but it does seem incredibly knee-jerk by Allardyce. Is he really going to pick his squad based on who started in the last two league games? Rashford was one of very few players to look in any way decent at the Euros, so has earned his place in the next senior squad no matter what happened in the opening week of this season.

CM

Media moral panic and Mourinho folk devil articles incoming

Sylar

Sensible comments. I actually think Rashford should be playing U21 football where he will likely get more minutes than being a sub here and there.

Although DT knew what he was doing with his first tweet and mentioning Zlatan/Jose.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'm glad. He'd most likely be on the bench if he were to be called up anyway, which is just a waste of time. At least with the U21's, you'd expect him to get plenty of game time, which is what he needs.

With Kane, Rooney, Vardy, Sturridge, etc, at the moment, England have got plenty of strikers to rely on. Rashford is still very young and will have plenty of time to be a first team regular for England.

kundalini

I don't see what Rashford or England gain from him playing u21. He has already demonstrated that he can perform at PL and international level.

If anything, Hodgson's error was not to start Rashford, or at least put him on with 35 mins to go against Iceland. Before the tournament, there were plenty of England fans who thought it a mistake to take Rashford.

Last edited:

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.

Rashford is playing for the U-21s instead of the senior team at the next international break. Our journalist friend seems to think this is because he hasn't played for United so far this season. Apparently Allardyce has come out and said as much (although I can't find quotes)

Discuss.
I think it won't do him any harm to get a good run in the U21's as he will play more minutes,get experience playing with the national team.A lot of the younger players are drafted too quickly into the senior team I feel.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I'm happy with this, the England squad is perpetually in a rebuild, hopefully Big sam actually does a good job, and the England players do a good job.

The way the media hypes up young players (Townsend, Sterling, Kane) just to attack them anytime they don't win a trophy is honestly disgusting, and I'd hate for it to happen to Rashers.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
So then I expect him to drop Joe Hart as well?

Oh no, he didn't. Hypocrite cnut.

To add to the cause, Hart was one of Englands worst players during the Euros, while Rashford was one of the few positives.

Crimson King

In fairness we've only played 2 PL games this season, so I don't see how he's 'paying the price'.

To be honest even if he was playing I doubt Allardyce would pick him, he'd probably go with Carroll or bring back Crouch first.

Sp00ks11

So why is Joe Hart still in the squad? Rashford was about the ONLY bright thing for England in the Euros. He was on the pitch for just 4 minutes during 1 game and he was easily our best player and man of the match.

Alladyce is a useless manager anyway and I couldn't care less who he selects as I won't be watching.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
What a surprise, a teenager playing for the U21s.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Good for him. Too early for main squad especially with kane in the squad.

Let him get firmly planted in u21, know the teammates more, get solid apprearance for united and come back in as a proper starter.

Bold move by sam, most weaklings would cave in giving youngsters just for the sake of it.

I dont think playing in the euro does rashford any good. Not 10 minutes... The risk is too big. He won't pull a messi in those 10 minutes and people will quick to label him flop (not everyone support united).

If he's good enough he'll find his way eventually, if he's not then u21 or senior squad will mean nothing. His proving ground is at united, not england.

Regarding joe hart, can't blame sam either. As bad as joe hart he is still the main keeper for a few good year and it'll take time to find a ready replacement. Not only in skills but mental strength. The likes of foster/butland isn't proven that they have the mettle to be the england number 1 mental wise.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
So why is Joe Hart still in the squad? Rashford was about the ONLY bright thing for England in the Euros. He was on the pitch for just 4 minutes during 1 game and he was easily our best player and man of the match.

Alladyce is a useless manager anyway and I couldn't care less who he selects as I won't be watching.
Bull shit. He dribbles and shows some pace against a tired defender battling for a point.

Good cameo, but the only bright spot and motm? You're pushing it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
There goes the possibility that he would have been starting ahead of Rooney for his country. Shame.

Parry Gallister

Logical move, the kid's is only a teenager and doesn't need to be so much in the spotlight, or learn how to be gutless from the failures around the senior England team. But, there are players being picked who haven't played (Hart, Smalling), or are in dire form (Kane) and you can just see the press etc. using it as a stick to beat us with and potentially unsettle Rashers/effect his confidence. Hopefully he's got decent people around him to help against that.

Dazzmondo

Sounds like Alardyce is just using the game time as an excuse to not bring one of England's highest rated youngsters. If he really wanted him he could bring him regardless of game time since he's still been training. Doesn't really matter, he'll get more game time playing for the u21s anyway. Shame it won't be at a higher level but clearly he wouldn't have started for England anyway. Just the media trying to villify Mourinho again since they can't find any legitimate criticisms to make so far. All they can do is make desperate stories about treating Schweinsteiger unfairly, claiming there are falling outs when there clearly aren't, and that Mourinho will destroy United's youth philosophy and damage England's NT development. The sad world of the media.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No big really, it might be better for Rashford long-term, but really, England don't have a player like Rashford.

Pretty funny Sam still Hart though, even though he's not playing and about to be sold