Rashford is going ahead with surgery and could be out until October

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I personally think it’s a joke that he’s not having it for 3 weeks. Totally disrespectful to the club. No way he couldn’t have had it line up for the start of this week. So either he wasn’t arsed to get it sorted or he has just decided to take 3 weeks hols on top of his 6 weeks with England. Surely he could of had a holiday while recovering.
Read before you post

RC89

Good. He needs a rest. Ole would have run him into the ground.

Wolverine

Depends on what surgery he is having obviously but 2-3 months probably minimum if its a rotator cuff repair.
6 weeks post-op probably significant chunk of that being immobilisation in a sling, then its passive and active physiotherapy for daily activities with gradual increase. No weight lifting is advised for around 12 weeks and heavy lifting sometimes not advised for 4-6 months at times.
I know its a long term but its important to get it right, I'm sure he'll get through ok and come back stronger.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Good. We'll miss him, but Sancho, Martial, Diallo and James can deputize for the first couple of months.

Superden

Not condoning slagging him off, but that's just BS. If the player is injured, knows he can't give his best in the condition and knows that he needs a surgery, then he should take the surgery, rather than try to "play through injuries" and give performances that are neither here nor there.
What because the management wouldn't know about it? He played on because he was asked to and he did his duty. Same fans would start losing their minds if players started using their own medical staff / opinions and ignored the club.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
And rest the ankle and back while you're at it.

Balljy

I personally think it’s a joke that he’s not having it for 3 weeks. Totally disrespectful to the club. No way he couldn’t have had it line up for the start of this week. So either he wasn’t arsed to get it sorted or he has just decided to take 3 weeks hols on top of his 6 weeks with England. Surely he could of had a holiday while recovering.
The surgeon isn't available until the end of the month.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Good decision. I wish he'd gone away for surgeries last season and excused himself from the England squad. He's not been right for months and he could have been doing longterm damage playing through injuries.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Interested to see whether Ole goes with Sancho on the LW and Martial as our backup striker, or RW Sancho with Martial on the left
Martial ain't even back training yet. I reckon they'll have to be a lot of rotation, between Sancho and Pogba on the left, Sancho and Greenwood on the right and Cavani and Greenwood through the middle. Hopefully though by the time the season starts you can add Martial's name into that and then you also still have the likes of James and Mata if really needed/early league cup rounds (assuming we get favourable draws)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Amad is out at the start of the season because of the Olympics I think
The Gold medal match is scheduled for the 7th of August, assuming Ivory Coast get that far. If not, he'll be back sooner and our first game is against Leeds on the 14th.

choccy77

If he's out through the month of October, it's approximately 10 league matches. Think he'd miss big matches against Liverpool, Leicester, Spurs.

There's more than adequate cover assuming Pogba is at the club, with Sancho, Martial, and James available to play the wide forward positions.

Good for him to get it done, allow his body to recover/rest, and build up more strength. He should be fresh going into the 2nd half of the season.
Don't forget Jones too!

TheReligion

Abusive
I know its not comparable, but for the sake of argument, let's try.

You know you're injured, and your employer knows that as well. You then go and "work" for somebody else, pro bono by the way, you actually don't "work" at all, because the guy that wanted you there doesn't even need you and then, you come back to your employer and say, "i'm gonna go on a holliday for a while, and when i come back, i'm gonna go on a surgery and won't come back for a couple of months, that's ok, right?"

Tldr, just saying, could have been done with more consideration to United, but ok.

Maybe its just me.
Yeah just you

Betson

Disappointing he will miss the early part of the season but it is the correct decision to have it done now , it has been plaguing him for a while now better to get it sorted once and for all and hopefully we will see the benefits of it in the 2nd half of the season..

lex talionis

Good decision.

Yes, we can look back at the last 6 weeks as a waste of time but Rashy was inches away from lifting a Euro trophy, despite Southgate's idiocy. I'm ok with the decision to delay the surgery to himself a chance at lifting a major international trophy.

DickDastardly

Probably. And not being a high level sportsman or being part of a club like United that supports it's players and their dreams.. who knows
That perspective is all good and well.

What's troubling with that is - we all know he's injured, he knows he's injured, Ole knows he's injured, Gareth knows he's injured, yet here we are, a month from the start of the season, just days after the final of a tournament he hasn't played a major role in, and we're talking about the possibility of him getting surgery and the timeline of his return.

This "high level" you speak of..... can't see anything high level about this.

Perhaps only a high level of bad planning and incompetence.

TheReligion

Abusive
That perspective is all good and well.

What's troubling with that is - we all know he's injured, he knows he's injured, Ole knows he's injured, Gareth knows he's injured, yet here we are, a month from the start of the season, just days after the final of a tournament he hasn't played a major role in, and we're talking about the possibility of him getting surgery and the timeline of his return.

This "high level" you speak of..... can't see anything high level about this.

Perhaps only a high level of bad planning and incompetence.
It's really not that complicated. The club have been managing him and his injuries for much of our season. If Rashford has agreed to that to try and help us get a club trophy and CL football why should he then miss out on going away with his country? He shouldn't and I'm sure the club were happy and supportive of his decision.

Ultimately, all piss taking aside, England might never get to a final again in his lifetime, let alone win something. Can't blame the lad for wanting to go and experience and be a part of that.

Cman

Read before you post
The surgeon isn't available until the end of the month.
I have read the article and the statement he gave a couple of weeks ago. So if we take everything at face value he couldn’t be arsed seeing the surgeon before this to decide if they were going to go the surgery route or book it in.
I mean a club the size of Manchester Utd can’t get a surgeon for 3 weeks. Come on really. Let’s put things in perspective. The players wages for those 3 weeks are £750k

He needs to have the surgery and it’s good he is. He has been playing through injury for club and country for way to long and his performances have prob suffered. It’s just I can’t believe that after suffering with the injury for most of the season things were organised better than this. Hardly professional. Can you imagine if Pogba did the same thing.

DickDastardly

It's really not that complicated. The club have been managing him and his injuries for much of our season. If Rashford has agreed to that to try and help us get a club trophy and CL football why should he then miss out on going away with his country? He shouldn't and I'm sure the club were happy and supportive of his decision.

Ultimately, all piss taking aside, England might never get to a final again in his lifetime, let alone win something. Can't blame the lad for wanting to go and experience and be a part of that.
Can't say you're wrong.

Experiencing and being a part of this journey with England is truly something for him.

I just don't give a feck about that, i care about United.
The question is, will he be a better player because of this experience? Will it benefit us, as a club, and us as supporters.

Let's hope it will.

Because if it doesn't, then we have a vital first 11 player out for 2 months of a season we could finally do something - because of his "experience".

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Will miss more than two months to the season for less than two minutes of play.

OverratedOpinion

Thank god, our second best attacking player needs to not be crocked before he is 25. I have vocally defended Ole but he has really ran a risk of creating Owen 2.0 and it is infuriating.

TheReligion

Abusive
Can't say you're wrong.

Experiencing and being a part of this journey with England is truly something for him.

I just don't give a feck about that, i care about United.
The question is, will he be a better player because of this experience? Will it benefit us, as a club, and us as supporters.

Let's hope it will.

Because if it doesn't, then we have a vital first 11 player out for 2 months of a season we could finally do something - because of his "experience".
Unfortunately your opinion is insignificant.

Rashford loves United. He's also proud to represent his country and be part of such a young squad that clearly gels together.

Our club isn't built on disrespecting the wishes of our young players and forcing them to miss potentially once in a lifetime opportunities.

RUCK4444

Excellent news.
It’s hardly excellent for our league campaign though is it.

of course I’m happy he’s not trying to play on without sorting it but this is still a major loss for us.

Add Pogba going (if he does) and that’s a lot of talent missing. Would hate for us to have another awful start to the season.

gza the genius

I don’t for one minute doubt that he is, but everyone knew he wasn’t fit and Southgate would have known he had no intention of using him so the sensible thing for all involved would have been communication to that effect to enable him to get the surgery he’s clearly needed for what feels like a good year.
I doubt Southgate would have given him such a clear cut answer. Southgate obviously wanted him there whether he chose to use him or not so I'd imagine he probably would've just given some vague response about him not being first choice but that he'd be valuable to the squad or something like that. I'm obviously just guessing but I don't see him telling him he wouldn't be playing him at all, I think had Rashford known that he'd probably have stayed and gotten the surgery, but maybe I'm being too kind/optimistic.

DickDastardly

Unfortunately your opinion is insignificant.

Rashford loves United. He's also proud to represent his country and be part of such a young squad that clearly gels together.

Our club isn't built on disrespecting the wishes of our young players and forcing them to miss potentially once in a lifetime opportunities.
Gee, thanks.

I'm not questioning his love for club or country.

I'm merely questioning his ability to rationalize - his decision was purely based on feelings.

And, i'm also questioning Gareth and our medical team. Surely both sides knew his injury problems.

What if it was a case that instead of Rashford, it was Greenwood to take his place.

Marcus goes on and has his operation, Mason gets the "once in a lifetime experience".

It's fecking awesome having depth isn't it??

I absolutely trust bruno, sancho, cavani, greenwood, martial and hopefully pogba to give us loads of goal threat until rashford comes back. And this gives him an opportunity to get properly fixed and come into the season after 3 months fresh and raring to go - that kind of new impetus mid-way through the season could be a great thing for momentum, all going well. This isn't like it was 2 seasons ago, when an injury to rashford meant we were playing mata and young on the wings.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It’s hardly excellent for our league campaign though is it.

of course I’m happy he’s not trying to play on without sorting it but this is still a major loss for us.

Add Pogba going (if he does) and that’s a lot of talent missing. Would hate for us to have another awful start to the season.
It's better for the long run. Nobody can do anything about it. Playing an injured player will neither help the player nor the club. Huge chance for Martial to step up but I can't put any faith in him anymore.

I still think he should have avoided the Euros but again it was his wish and hopefully his club doesn't suffer because of it.

TheReligion

Abusive
Gee, thanks.

I'm not questioning his love for club or country.

I'm merely questioning his ability to rationalize - his decision was purely based on feelings.

And, i'm also questioning Gareth and our medical team. Surely both sides knew his injury problems.

What if it was a case that instead of Rashford, it was Greenwood to take his place.

Marcus goes on and has his operation, Mason gets the "once in a lifetime experience".
Essentially you don't care what Rashford felt and wanted to do? And you don't think he should have been able to make the decision?

I'm not sure how you expected the club to deal with this. Tell him he can't go and must consent to an operation? One that we've been happy for him to delay in order to help us over the line in the PL. Then have a bust up with him for preventing him doing something he's always dreamed of doing for his country?

Rashford has gone above and beyond for us and wanted to go to the Euros. Fair play. We back him and it is what it is.

RedStarUnited

All the best to Marcus

...hope he takes every bit of time needed. Well deserved recovery period for him. If done right, it will prolong his playing career by a few years. In a sense, this could turn out to be one of the most important moments of his career.
and he still played 120 minutes in the final…

hobbers

Also, his ankle ballooned on the way to the Europa League final...

And yet Ole played him for 120 minutes. It was terrible management without knowing about the new injury on top of the chronic shoulder one, but given that he did know about his ankle, what an abysmal decision.