Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilt

Yeah, this is the answer. Take away van Persie's goals/assist and we lose 43 points. With Rashford this tally sits at 18 with today's win.

It's good though, because taking away Robin's contributions ends us up in midtable, whereas taking away Rashford's contributions would put us in a relegation battle.
agreed ….Rashford has kept Utd out of the shite

telstar96

Anyone know what the potential new contract for Rashford would look like? He's currently on £200k p/w. You'd assume he be made one of the highest earners and currently in his position that's Sancho on £350k p/w. Having said that the club recently extended Bruno's contract from £180k to £240k, so it's hard to gauge what sort of numbers we're talking for Rashford's potential new deal.

mintyred

As much as I love Rashford and his current form I’d sell him whilst he’s hot. I don’t trust this form will last and I question his resilience to be a top athlete.

players like Rashford represent the weak mentality shown under Ole.

Rusholme Ruffian

As much as I love Rashford and his current form I’d sell him whilst he’s hot. I don’t trust this form will last and I question his resilience to be a top athlete.

That would mean we would need to sign two 30 goals per season forwards this summer - on top of everything else we need?

Dion

This is what we call an "inauspicious start".

mintyred

That would mean we would need to sign two 30 goals per season forwards this summer - on top of everything else we need?
Football doesn’t work like that. We do need a new number 9 but if we get players that suit the system then the goals will be shared out like with Arsenal.

You do need a vocal point for goals butyou don’t need 1 player to carry you if you’ve got players to suit your system.

ETH is working with scraps this season and doing what he can with a lot of players he wouldn’t normally touch with a barge pole. Once he gets his team together we will see more goals throughout the team.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

P.S I am not into discussion = will not reply back

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Welcome to the forum! Off to a nice positive start. Find the thread of our player of the season and post something negative.

Oh and that's an impressive leap from "I love Rashford" to questioning his mentality and calling him weak.

Dion

Yeah, this is the answer. Take away van Persie's goals/assist and we lose 43 points. With Rashford this tally sits at 18 with today's win.

It's good though, because taking away Robin's contributions ends us up in midtable, whereas taking away Rashford's contributions would put us in a relegation battle.
Better to look at this in terms of % of points, I think 29% vs 48% (which is actually insane) is probably a better representation.

mintyred

Welcome to the forum! Off to a nice positive start. Find the thread of our player of the season and post something negative.

Oh and that's an impressive leap from "I love Rashford" to questioning his mentality and calling him weak.
I'm not being negative I'm just saying what I see, and I don't understand the condescending sarcastic reply. If you disagree then you can do that, but there is no need to be like that it comes across as a bit babyish.

I do like Rashford as a player but I'm not going to judge someone off part of a season like a lot of football fans seem to do. His career has been very bipolar. Next season could be a disaster or it could be amazing, there is no guarantee with this guy.

Also, Rashford is best in a counter-attacking team which the manager is trying to get away from. A lot of our squad are counter-attacking players that don't suit what ETH is trying to build.

P.S I am not into discussion = will not reply back
I'm new to the forum and it takes a while for them to moderate my posts, I don't know what you want from me. Plus I have things outside of this forum to do. Yikes.

Rusholme Ruffian

Football doesn’t work like that. We do need a new number 9 but if we get players that suit the system then the goals will be shared out like with Arsenal.

You do need a vocal point for goals butyou don’t need 1 player to carry you if you’ve got players to suit your system.

ETH is working with scraps this season and doing what he can with a lot of players he wouldn’t normally touch with a barge pole. Once he gets his team together we will see more goals throughout the team.
Yes, some of that is true, but what I mean is, you would be getting rid of the sole player in our squad capable of scoring 30 goals per season, when we already need a new centre-forward. Ten Hag always plays with a centre-forward, so you would be needing to replace Rashfords goals, plus the goals that we have missed through not having a number 9 this season. That feels like quite a big risk when we need a midfielder, goalkeeper and possibly right-back. And presumably you would want to get rid of Martial too if you don't think Rashford is up to it, so really you'd need another forward as well or we'd be one injury away from what has happened this season.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I'm not being negative I'm just saying what I see, and I don't understand the condescending sarcastic reply. If you disagree then you can do that, but there is no need to be like that it comes across as a bit babyish.

I do like Rashford as a player but I'm not going to judge someone off part of a season like a lot of football fans seem to do. His career has been very bipolar. Next season could be a disaster or it could be amazing, there is no guarantee with this guy.
Apologies for the tone. This forum is so negative sometimes it gets to me, I admit that willingly. Sometimes it results in stupid sarky comments.

Regarding the bolded part, it's probably the opposite. People see his last season as the anomaly and know based on his previous years and his performances, that he's a unique player who is actually one of the very few who did perform and do his best for the club even during those years when half of the team didn't. His last season was poor and we all know he was struggling with his mental health. Yes many players do and as professionals they should be able to perform regardless, but everyone is affected differently. And not many of us would perform to our highest standards at work if we were struggling.

So you would sell an academy graduate who has 0,54 goal contributions per game throughout his United career? 0,34 goals per game. Who's performed better than him during his time here? Consistently and for several seasons?

2015/16 (18 years old): 18 games, 8 goals + 2 assists
2016/17 (19 years old): 52 games, 11 goals + 7 assists
2017/18 (20 years old): 52 games, 13 goals + 9 assists
2018/19 (21 years old): 47 games, 13 goals + 10 assists
2019/20 (22 years old): 44 games, 22 goals + 13 assists
2020/21 (23 years old): 57 games, 21 goals + 15 assists
2021/22 (24 years old): 32 games, 5 goals + 2 assists
2022/23 (25 years old): 51 games, 29 goals + 11 assists

Now look at those numbers and tell me that this season is the anomaly more than the previous one. Yes you can always point out to his early years that the numbers weren't world class, but which 18-21 old winger can produce more than that in the most competitive league in the world? In a dysfunctional team. Fatigued as feck as he played internationally a few summers in a row on top of playing 50+ games for us every season. I wouldn't call his career bipolar. One bad season after he broke through.

122 goals + 68 assists in 354 games for the club. We're lucky to have him.

Last edited:

JagUTD

Everyone who voted to sell him should be ashamed of themselves. I include myself in that even though I don't recall voting in this thread but I definitely found myself thinking it was time for him to go last season.

He's made us all look like right idiots. Well done Rashford.

JagUTD

Apologies for the tone.

Regarding the bolded part, it's probably the opposite. People see his last season as the anomaly and know based on his previous years and his performances, that he's a unique player who is actually one of the very few who did perform and do his best for the club even during those years when half of the team didn't. His last season was poor and we all know he was struggling with his mental health. Yes many players do and as a professional they should be able to perform regardless, but everyone is affected differently. And not many of us would perform to our highest standards at work if we were struggling.

So you would sell an academy graduate who has 0,54 goal contributions per game throughout his United career? 0,34 goals per game. Who's performed better than him during his time here? Consistently and for several seasons?

Now look at those numbers and tell me that this season is the anomaly more than the previous one. Yes you can always point out to his early years that the numbers weren't world class, but which 18-21 old winger can produce more than that in the most competitive league in the world. In a dysfunctional team. Fatigues as feck as he played internationally a few summers in a row on top of playing 50+ games for us every season. I wouldn't call his career bipolar. One bad season after he broke through.

Last season things got so bad for us as a club, many of us were blind to what we had in Rashford. Not just on the pitch but as the face of United.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Everyone who voted to sell him should be ashamed of themselves. I include myself in that even though I don't recall voting in this thread but I definitely found myself thinking it was time for him to go last season.

He's made us all look like right idiots. Well done Rashford.
Needing to feel ashamed is a bit much. I’m part of the 85%, sadly, but opinions don’t have to be cast in stone. It changes as information changes and/or becomes available.

If we received a mammoth offer for him, he wanted to leave and considering his form & effort for the past 12-18 months, it wasn’t the worst call in the world. He didn’t look interested, nor happy/enjoying his football - it could well have been external factors/playing through injury, the squad was in turmoil etc. - possibly all of the above.

He’s turned it around and credit to him. He’s proven 85% of us wrong and I’d gladly vote no if the same question is posed now, but I don’t necessarily think at that moment there was much wrong with voting sell.

JagUTD

Needing to feel ashamed is a bit much. I’m part of the 85%, sadly, but opinions don’t have to be cast in stone. It changes as information changes and/or becomes available.

If we received a mammoth offer for him, he wanted to leave and considering his form & effort for the past 12-18 months, it wasn’t the worst call in the world. He didn’t look interested, nor happy/enjoying his football - it could well have been external factors/playing through injury, the squad was in turmoil etc. - possibly all of the above.

He’s turned it around and credit to him. He’s proven 85% of us wrong and I’d gladly vote no if the same question is posed now, but I don’t necessarily think at that moment there was much wrong with voting sell.
Apologies, I wasn't being literal. Just emphasising the point that we now all look a bit daft.

johnnyteutonic

Apologies for the tone. This forum is so negative sometimes it gets to me, I admit that willingly. Sometimes it results in stupid sarky comments.

Regarding the bolded part, it's probably the opposite. People see his last season as the anomaly and know based on his previous years and his performances, that he's a unique player who is actually one of the very few who did perform and do his best for the club even during those years when half of the team didn't. His last season was poor and we all know he was struggling with his mental health. Yes many players do and as professionals they should be able to perform regardless, but everyone is affected differently. And not many of us would perform to our highest standards at work if we were struggling.

Now look at those numbers and tell me that this season is the anomaly more than the previous one. Yes you can always point out to his early years that the numbers weren't world class, but which 18-21 old winger can produce more than that in the most competitive league in the world? In a dysfunctional team. Fatigued as feck as he played internationally a few summers in a row on top of playing 50+ games for us every season. I wouldn't call his career bipolar. One bad season after he broke through.

Oh looks like that poster has disappeared. What a surprise!

I honestly do not understand what people's solutions are regarding how we will get goals if we sell him?

We will be left with absolutely no proven, consistent high-yield goal scorer in this team:

- Martial, who has been incredibly injury-prone and inconsistent, with one great season which occurred 3 years ago
- Antony, who is clearly a work in progress, and whilst I know it is his first season in the EPL, his goal contribution numbers are almost as bad as Rashford's worst season last year.
- Sancho, who has unfortunately been a massive flop so far, who has put up great numbers in the Bundesliga in the past but hasn't shown much in 2 seasons here.
- Amad, who will presumably come back from loan, performed well in the championship this season, but hasn't done anything at this level before.
- Garnacho, who has massive promise, but is still an impact sub at this stage.

Do people still propose we sell Rashford if we aren't able to bring in Kane?

Last edited:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Do people still propose we sell Rashford if we aren't able to bring in Kane?
Most people have accepted their daftness with good grace and maybe now hesitate before writing off players from their badly informed armchairs. There are a few holdouts who celibrate their stupidity but that's life.

johnnyteutonic

Most people have accepted their daftness with good grace and maybe now hesitate before writing off players from their badly informed armchairs. There are a few holdouts who celibrate their stupidity but that's life.
I understand that the poll was taken when he was at his worst last season but I have seen a fair few posters still advocate for selling him on here.
I've also seen similar sentiment amongst a good number of commenters on some of our YT fan channels too...

glazed

I understand that the poll was taken when he was at his worst last season but I have seen a fair few posters still advocate for selling him on here.
I've also seen similar sentiment amongst a good number of commenters on some of our YT fan channels too...
It's a sad truth that a lot of football fans are quite stupid. I suppose that's not really surprising.

Fully Fledged

Some people just can't have a change of opinion no matter how much the facts go against what they originally thought.

Oscar Bonavena

I didn't take part in this survey last year but if I did I can 100% guarantee that I would have voted to sell him.

He was truly abysmal at the time, but it wasn't just the loss of form, it was the lack of any sort of energy in his play. I lost count of the amount of times I was screaming at him "ffs if you're not gonna score, at least run around and put some effort in!"

Even simple 10 yard passes were beyond him at times. It was clear there was something going on behind the scenes because his confidence was shot to bits. It was beyond a simple "loss of form". But at the time, it was impossible to know if this was temporary or was he gonna be Dele Alli mark II.

I'm saying the same about Sancho now, get f**king rid. But from what I've seen of him so far, if he turns his form around like Rashford, I'll eat my hat.

glazed

But at the time, it was impossible to know if this was temporary or was he gonna be Dele Alli mark II.
Except there were lots of obvious things to do before selling him. Like get him fit. Or coach him properly. Everyone was sh1t under Ole because he is a terrible coach and the tactics were non existant because of Woodward's rando player purchasing. That's why it was stupid to think selling him was the logical response. Sacking Ole and Woodward was the logical response and it worked.

Oscar Bonavena

Except there were lots of obvious things to do before selling him. Like get him fit. Or coach him properly. Everyone was sh1t under Ole because he is a terrible coach and the tactics were non existant because of Woodward's rando player purchasing. That's why it was stupid to think selling him was the logical response. Sacking Ole and Woodward was the logical response and it worked.
Actually I recall thinking at the time that the club should loan him out somewhere first to try get his form and confidence back.

I'm convinced also that the overbearing presence of Ronaldo in the team, his strops and his hissy fits at his teammates, shattered Rashford's confidence. Once ETH came in, dropped Ronaldo and showed HE was in the one in charge, Rashford's form picked up again.

glazed

I'm convinced also that the overbearing presence of Ronaldo in the team
This comes square under the heading of Woodward rando player purchasing (which wasn't random in commercial terms only in putting together a coherent team.)

Status
Not open for further replies.