Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marwood

Thank feck fan ownership isn’t a realistic option.
Think you're overeacting a bit or not reading posts properly. I'm asking for a more measured approach to wages. Rather than the desperate give them what they want to keep them approach of the last 10 years.

How do you think club should look at player like Rashford?

He has consistently contributed almost 35+ goals and assists in 3 out of last 4 seasons, before that he wasn't played enough to produce big numbers.

He has averaged 102, 115 and 90 mins per G+A in last 3/4 seasons and overall his career he averages 124 mins. In PL he averages around 130 mins and that's a very good record considering the age he started, the kind of coaches we had in his career.

Any player we sign who contributes to as many goals will be commanding huge fee and as much as Rashford would be asking in his new contract.
Like any other player. Look at their form over the medium to long term rather than what's just happened. Look at at what other players around his level are being paid. Avoid another Martial, DDG etc.

I'm not fussed about europa league stats. We shouldn't be on the same pitch as some of these teams. Same goes for all the players. If Maguire and McTominay perform well against FC Sheriff who cares?

At the top level, In the league, from Jan 2020 to the world cup he scored about 12 league goals and had 10 assists.

So all I'm saying the club should be looking at the broader picture, not just the last 12 weeks.

Looking at his game over the last two years I don't see why he should be on anymore than Saka or Foden, England's other top wide players.

But we know United. It's the club that offered Pogba a new contract.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Think you're overeacting a bit or not reading posts properly. I'm asking for a more measured approach to wages. Rather than the desperate give them what they want to keep them approach of the last 10 years.

Like any other player. Look at their form over the medium to long term rather than what's just happened. Look at at what other players around his level are being paid. Avoid another Martial, DDG etc.

I'm not fussed about europa league stats. We shouldn't be on the same pitch as some of these teams. Same goes for all the players. If Maguire and McTominay perform well against FC Sheriff who cares?

At the top level, In the league, from Jan 2020 to the world cup he scored about 12 league goals and had 10 assists.

So all I'm saying the club should be looking at the broader picture, not just the last 12 weeks.

Looking at his game over the last two years I don't see why he should be on anymore than Saka or Foden, England's other top wide players.

But we know United. It's the club that offered Pogba a new contract.
All you are doing is, picking his worst form period and assuming that's his normal level or regular occurrence.

You take Saka as an example, now why should he be paid any less than Sterling, Lukaku? Or why should Sancho be at his level in wages when their performances is so different. Why should Varane deserve more money when Rashford's performance and contribution to ManUtd is much higher than what Varane offered?

You don't have to consider his performance vs FC sheriff, his performance in big games is among the best in the league, consistently scoring vs big clubs. That's why there is a dedicated thread for that. His PL numbers are good too, goal or assist every 130 mins is a good record, for a player who started at 18 and played under some poor coaches where our attacking play was so disjointed.

Also no, first half of the season he wasn't average. For the first time in years, Rashford was playing well without even scoring or assists. That was discussed is many games this season, especially before world cup. Ii you just want to go with goals or assists as good game then you can't call his 2020-21 season as average, he was among top players in top 5 leagues for goals + assists. Also yes, he was poor and absolutely shit last season, luckily this is not last season and we are much changed team. In Rashford's career, last season was exception. Apart from that he was always good when it comes to goals/assists.

Like I said multiple times already, he averages 120 mins per Goal contribution and 130 mins in PL. Why should that be ignored and only his poor form considered for his new contract? Any player who contributes to 35-40 goals, how much will he cost and how much wages we would be paying on top of that?

roonster09

Scout
Encapsulates it perfectly. Any shiny new toy posters would see him replaced with would cost a ton & then some i’m wages.

This obsession with contracts is hilarious, we rarely know exactly what they are being paid & due to letting it run down as we have coinciding with World Class form the club are hardly in a position to dictate to the guy.

It’s widely accepted he was bad, no terrible, at points last season but as you point out earlier 3 out of the last 4 seasons would show that to be an anomaly. Fortunately EtH knows the score.
Yeah, people don't even read what's reported about wages, they will see one final figure and lose their shit.

Even today people use "OMG Martial is paid 250K", I mean how can he get 250K when he hardly plays.

roonster09

Scout
This is 100% wrong,
From Jan 2020-July 2020 he scored 5 league goals and 4 assists in 11 league games.

2020-2021 season he scored 11 goals and 11 assists in 37 games. So the numbers you posted is wrong without even considering the last season.

Maybe you means Jan 2021
In that case he scored 4 goals and 6 assists in 19 league starts. Hardly shit numbers.

In that Jan - May period he also scored and assisted vs Liverpool in FA cup
Assisted only goal vs West Ham in FA cup

Last season was just trash, he started 13 league games, scored some 3 or 4 league goals. I don't think anyone even denies that he was shit last season but that was the only season. If people wages are decided on only poor season then no player will get decent wages except 3-4 top players.

Marwood

This is 100% wrong,
From Jan 2020-July 2020 he scored 5 league goals and 4 assists in 11 league games.

2020-2021 season he scored 11 goals and 11 assists in 37 games. So the numbers you posted is wrong without even considering the last season.

Maybe you means Jan 2021
In that case he scored 4 goals and 6 assists in 19 league starts. Hardly shit numbers.

In that Jan - May period he also scored and assisted vs Liverpool in FA cup
Assisted only goal vs West Ham in FA cup

Last season was just trash, he started 13 league games, scored some 3 or 4 league goals. I don't think anyone even denies that he was shit last season but that was the only season. If people wages are decided on only poor season then no player will get decent wages except 3-4 top players.
I did mean Jan 2021 onwards. 4 goals in 19 games? If that's not shit what is. Plus his overall performances were poor. Was awful in Europa final.

4 league goals last season. 4 leage goals upto the world cup this season.

That isn't cherry picking a few games or a spell here and there. That's nearly a two year period.

I'm not saying that's all the club should be looking at during contract negotiations. Of course not. But it should play a part.

I don't think anybody can say with certainty which Rashford we'll get next season.

You guys are trying to tell me 12 league goals in nearly two years isn't bad. Next thing will be that water isn't wet.

He's a sharp end player like Haaland. They have to be producing goals/assists. That's their game.

roonster09

Scout
I did mean Jan 2021 onwards. 4 goals in 19 games? If that's not shit what is. Plus his overall performances were poor. Was awful in Europa final.

4 league goals last season. 4 leage goals upto the world cup this season.

That isn't cherry picking a few games or a spell here and there. That's nearly a two year period.

I'm not saying that's all the club should be looking at during contract negotiations. Of course not. But it should play a part.

I don't think anybody can say with certainty which Rashford we'll get next season.

You guys are trying to tell me 12 league goals in nearly two years isn't bad. Next thing will be that water isn't wet.

He's a sharp end player like Haaland. They have to be producing goals/assists. That's their game.
4 goals and 5-6 assists, which is 9-10 goals+ Assists in 19 games, which is not shit record. Amazing how you consider only goals in the first line and ends the post with "expectations is goals + assists". So

Rashford should be producing goals/assists and then you ignore his goals/assists record. 35+ goals and assists in 3 out of 4 seasons and you are saying he didn't produce enough.

Which Rashford we will get next season? What sort of logic is that, with that you can't sign any single player or extend any player contract as no one is sure what happens in the next min. Rashford's record in his overall career shows he produces good numbers.

Last season skews lot of his stats and I don't know why half seasons are considered, he had 11 goals and 11 assists in league in 2020-21, that puts him in top 5 or 10 in Goals+ assists that season. This season he is in top 5 for goals or goals + assists. You are just cherry picking months, every season is a different season. 2019-20, 2020-21, 2022-23 that's 3 out of last 4 seasons where he produced very good numbers. This "Omg what about Jan 2021" doesn't mean much when you are not even posting right numbers.

EireRed_GS

We would be mad not to offer a new contract. the lads been immense this season..

Is there any truth in this story thats hes holding back on sigining to see what happens with Glazers staying?

Marwood

4 goals and 5-6 assists, which is 9-10 goals+ Assists in 19 games, which is not shit record. Amazing how you consider only goals in the first line and ends the post with "expectations is goals + assists". So

Rashford should be producing goals/assists and then you ignore his goals/assists record. 35+ goals and assists in 3 out of 4 seasons and you are saying he didn't produce enough.

Which Rashford we will get next season? What sort of logic is that, with that you can't sign any single player or extend any player contract as no one is sure what happens in the next min. Rashford's record in his overall career shows he produces good numbers.

Last season skews lot of his stats and I don't know why half seasons are considered, he had 11 goals and 11 assists in league in 2020-21, that puts him in top 5 or 10 in Goals+ assists that season. This season he is in top 5 for goals or goals + assists. You are just cherry picking months, every season is a different season. 2019-20, 2020-21, 2022-23 that's 3 out of last 4 seasons where he produced very good numbers. This "Omg what about Jan 2021" doesn't mean much when you are not even posting right numbers.
What are you talking about. Whose only referenced Jan 2021?

I've shown you his league goals Jan 2021 - Dec 2022. I call that a two year period. You call it cherry picking.

If somebody said "Maguire has been poor for the last two seasons" would you call that cherry picking? It's two years!

roonster09

Scout
What are you talking about. Whose only referenced Jan 2021?

I've shown you his league goals Jan 2021 - Dec 2022. I call that a two year period. You call it cherry picking.

If somebody said "Maguire has been poor for the last two seasons" would you call that cherry picking? It's two years!
Ofcourse you are by breaking up seasons.

Also 9 goals + assists in 19 league games is not a shit record, somehow that period is also considered.

BuzzKillington

Going back to your original post that started this mini thread, you claimed his value exceeds his ability.

I know I'll get pelters for this but if there's a player in United's squad or maybe even even in world football whose potential transfer value far outstrips his actual ability its Rashford.
For this to be a realistic argument in any supposed contract negotiations we need to know what you think we could realistically get for him, and who you think would buy him. He has 12 months left on his contract, which he is fully aware of and any buying club would be.

Further on from this, who are we buying for the funds we have received who will guarantee 20 goals a season from the left wing.

Marwood

Going back to your original post that started this mini thread, you claimed his value exceeds his ability.

For this to be a realistic argument in any supposed contract negotiations we need to know what you think we could realistically get for him, and who you think would buy him. He has 12 months left on his contract, which he is fully aware of and any buying club would be.

Further on from this, who are we buying for the funds we have received who will guarantee 20 goals a season from the left wing.
I think all that's been discussed already. Wouldn't want to bog the thread down in more repetition.

I don't know who'd potentially buy him. Don't think anybody does.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He wasn't selected to start in the world cup and nobody was surprised.
Gareth, is that you? :lol: Rashford had scored 3 goals in 5 games in all comps leading up to the world cup and was putting in standout performances in most league games from September onwards. Most people were surprised that he was only given 5 minutes vs France, given he was England's top scorer in the competition.

Nobody but big Marcus Rashford fans would call that fantastic form. If that's fantastic how would you describe his post world cup form?
I would describe his post world cup form as world class.

Marwood

Gareth, is that you? :lol: Rashford had scored 3 goals in 5 games in all comps leading up to the world cup and was putting in standout performances in most league games from September onwards. Most people were surprised that he was only given 5 minutes vs France, given he was England's top scorer in the competition.

I would describe his post world cup form as world class.
Ok not sure why only those 5 games count as opposed to all the games from the start of the season. I don't think that's how international managers look at these things or pick their XI's. Hope not anyway.

Most were surprised he only got 5 mins. Nobody was surpised Foden, Sako, Sterling were starting ahead of him.

He had 1 league goal and zero assists in the 8 league games leading upto the world cup.

Some of you boys have really convinced yourselves he was on fire and unlucky not to be starting for England. I know its popular to mock Southgate but this is some bias here.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Ok not sure why only those 5 games count as opposed to all the games from the start of the season.
In my previous post I highlighted how he was a standout performer in half of the league games from the start of the season to the world cup. Didn't think I needed to repeat myself.

Nobody was surpised Foden, Sako, Sterling were starting ahead of him.
The same Sterling who has been poor all season? And the same Foden who has had an unproductive Grealish start ahead of him for large chunks of the season? Fair enough Saka has been fantastic. That's why him and Rashford were the obvious choices in the wing positions for England.

Marwood

In my previous post I highlighted how he was a standout performer in half of the league games from the start of the season to the world cup. Didn't think I needed to repeat myself.

The same Sterling who has been poor all season? And the same Foden who has had an unproductive Grealish start ahead of him for large chunks of the season? Fair enough Saka has been fantastic. That's why him and Rashford were the obvious choices in the wing positions for England.
8 league games before world cup:

Rashford - 1 goal and zero assists

Foden - 6 goals and 1 assist

Correct Sterling was poor going into the world cup. Care to guess his stats? Same as Rashford. Whose form you called "fantastic"

You are either hugely bias or suffering with your memory.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Ok not sure why only those 5 games count as opposed to all the games from the start of the season.
8 league games before world cup:

Rashford - 1 goal and zero assists

Foden - 6 goals and 1 assist
I love how 5 games is a ridiculously small sample size for you but 8 games is fine.

Were you even watching Rashford from September-November? He was the best player on the pitch in multiple games where he wasn't scoring or assisting.

Strelok

Anybody worried he might not sign with us?
No I think.

Unlike some of our fans the club is not insane so they do know how important he's both on/off the field and how much he worth in the market. If you play some football games you'd know he's basically our poster boy. Imo Rashford is not a greedy type either so I'm pretty sure both sides would reach an agreement.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I'm not worried. If he was angling for a move then you'd be hearing tier 1 journalists reporting the same kind of stories that they've been running with Mason Mount (who has the same length left on his contract). The noises coming out of the club on the Rashford situation seem to all be positive.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Nope. It will be his most important contract. He knows it. The club knows it. The negotiations may still take a few months but I am sure he will sign.

Threesus

I couldn’t finish the paragraph :lol:
I don’t know what’s funny here. Everybody in the world would take Saka over rashford. Saka scores and creates a lot too. And he is better at helping out his fullback whereas rashford just strolls around.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
You take Saka as an example, now why should he be paid any less than Sterling, Lukaku? Or why should Sancho be at his level in wages when their performances is so different. Why should Varane deserve more money when Rashford's performance and contribution to ManUtd is much higher than what Varane offered?
I think Rashford should be offered a very good new contract (£300k max in total, make it up whatever way they want) but your logic is exactly why football clubs ( mainly us ) get into trouble salary wise.
Sancho is a bust if you try to compare form to wages so you dont use him as a benchmark when negotiating contracts. Otherwise where does it stop.

Sancho is on £300k
Rashford is better right now so we need to give him £400k
If Rashfords form dips and we need to buy a new striker( which we do anyway) the new guy needs £500k because he is better than Rashford, right?
and on and on and on.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t know what’s funny here. Everybody in the world would take Saka over rashford. Saka scores and creates a lot too. And he is better at helping out his fullback whereas rashford just strolls around.
I see no reason why Rashford will not get a much better contract than Saka given the club status and revenue of Man Utd. Rashford is in the form of his life with only one year left in his contract. He holds all the cards. It is the same for Saka as well. These two players will get the market rate salary for their abilities, otherwise they can leave for PSG or Real Madrid for free in a year. Any competent agent will shop around and let their clients know the market rate out there.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Saka, who is a better player than him already, is negotiating a 300k/wk contract, if reports are to be believed. I wouldn’t go more than that for rashford as well.
If we for some strange reason have decided to do everything Arsenal does, then let’s do it properly. Let’s get rid of every player who cost more than Arsenal‘s record transfer. Let’s negotiate our contracts with sponsors to what Arsenal get from theirs. Let’s get rid of every player who earns more than Arsenal‘s highest paid player. Let’s not let more fans into OT than the capacity of the Emirates. …

Strelok

Not PSG I think. PSG said themselve they wanted Rashford but I haven't heard even a single rumour regarding them and Saka.

Last summer PSG reportedly offered Rashford 400k a week but he refused. And that's when Rashford was shit and PSG would have to pay some transfer fee for him. Just imagine what if the current Rashford leaves on a free then.

roonster09

Scout
I think Rashford should be offered a very good new contract (£300k max in total, make it up whatever way they want) but your logic is exactly why football clubs ( mainly us ) get into trouble salary wise.
Sancho is a bust if you try to compare form to wages so you dont use him as a benchmark when negotiating contracts. Otherwise where does it stop.

Sancho is on £300k
Rashford is better right now so we need to give him £400k
If Rashfords form dips and we need to buy a new striker( which we do anyway) the new guy needs £500k because he is better than Rashford, right?
and on and on and on.
You should read the post and the post i replied to for the context. You just can't randomly take player as an example and come up with "this should be the max wage", it will never work like that.

Last edited:

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Is it worth mentioning that Saka does all of those things but is in fact a right winger while Rashford is a forward"

Swiss_Red89

There is still so much bullshit postet in this thread it's unbeliveable :lol:
You can bet if Rashford has a stinker vs Newcastle some people will jump at that chance.

Eric_the_Red99

There is still so much bullshit postet in this thread it's unbeliveable :lol:
You can bet if Rashford has a stinker vs Newcastle some people will jump at that chance.
Oh obviously, it happens every time. Doesn’t even have to be a stinker to draw these people out of the woodwork. Some people actually tried to put the 7-0 on him because he missed a half chance at 0-0.

Von Mistelroum

Now that the (admittedly pretty great) purple patch is over, hopefully the club won't let him bend them over too badly.

Nero

He's totally gassed. This is the price of playing him in shite games like Charlton in the League Cup or Forest in a semi-final when it's already 3-0.

-Supreme-

It concerns me that his general play still isn’t at the required level and it is more noticing when he can’t get on the score sheet

Chief123

He’s not even signed the cursed new contract yet and he’s already gone to walking mode.

theballisround

Purple patch well and truly over

He is back to walking around the pitch
This is what gets me. When he is out of the game he just walks around hoping other people run for him.

Martial was defending as a 6 when Rashford was just strolling back on the wing at some point.

Good player when on form and when idiotic opposition give him space, but overall gameplay and game IQ is very average.

Status
Not open for further replies.