Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaldinho1

No chance. He will end up around 300/350k base with add ons to take him to 400/450 k. Otherwise he will leave for free.

But I am sure he will sign a new contract with us.
I’m not sure, if PSG are offering 400k a week that’ll be top end of the market surely.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
You have to factor in that we’re supposedly renegotiating a much lower deal with DDG and, frankly, I can see us letting Sancho and Martial leave unless their form/fitness improves. We’re also supposedly trying to cap everyone at 250k from what I read a while ago so if he’s only behind Varane and Case who are on the last big contracts of their careers I don’t think that’s too crazy.

I think he’ll end up on 250k with realistic add ons to take him to 300k.
He will leave if we only offer the Glazers wage cap. Another reason why the club definitely needs to be sold.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I’m not sure, if PSG are offering 400k a week that’ll be top end of the market surely.
I have no clue if PSG are offering this and if yes is it base or including bonus.

However I am sure Rashford will not sign a contract which will give him „only“ 50 k base more than the one he signed years ago.

There’s no way Rashford - entering his prime - is going to accept anything less than Varane, Case or Sancho. Then he is also kind of the face of the club and our most marketable player.

ETH seems to rate him very highly and I can’t imagine Qatar/Ineos wanting to lose him.

Marwood

I know I'll get pelters for this but if there's a player in United's squad or maybe even even in world football whose potential transfer value far outstrips his actual ability its Rashford.

Now I'm not saying I want him sold but we definitely shouldn't cave to any exorbitant wage demands.

His form is too up and down and his game too reliant on pace to make him one of the world's best paid players. Which I'm guessing his team of people will want.

The club really needs to take an objective, cold, mindset about his renewal.

Eli Zee

I'm pretty sure Rashford wants to stay here his whole career, but if he were to make a move, it would probably be to a team that is England or Spain.
I think if we offered him 80% of what PSG offers, he'd still stay here. Any less and he'd be gone.

Note: This is 100% speculation based on nothing.

tomaldinho1

I'm pretty sure Rashford wants to stay here his whole career, but if he were to make a move, it would probably be to a team that is England or Spain.
I think if we offered him 80% of what PSG offers, he'd still stay here. Any less and he'd be gone.

Yeah I mean this whole forum is speculation, no need for a disclaimer! I agree though, he loves the club and wants to win things here. I guess he’s been soured a bit by seeing false dawns and some poor managerial choices but hopefully we can be competitive and he doesn’t seem that bothered by making the most money possible (didn’t move previously and obviously very aware of other issues in life outside of earning the max you can and making that your priority).

Posh Red

I know I'll get pelters for this but if there's a player in United's squad or maybe even even in world football whose potential transfer value far outstrips his actual ability its Rashford.

Now I'm not saying I want him sold but we definitely shouldn't cave to any exorbitant wage demands.

His form is too up and down and his game too reliant on pace to make him one of the world's best paid players. Which I'm guessing his team of people will want.

He’s unlikely to lose much of his pace for the majority of the contract.

Last edited:

Doracle

You’ve seen us sign Sancho and Antony over the last two years and you think it’s the guy with nearly 30 goals this season whose transfer value outweighs his ability??

Marwood

You’ve seen us sign Sancho and Antony over the last two years and you think it’s the guy with nearly 30 goals this season whose transfer value outweighs his ability??
I'm on about how much a player is worth now. How much they'd go for if we were to sell now. Nobody is giving us much for Sancho if we sell this summer are they? His value now will be in line with his ability.

Where as Rashford. He'd be well over £100 million. Has to be when you look at his overall profile. Which I think is more than his actual ability is worth.

I don’t want to sell him. I want him to stay for life. But equally the club shouldn't be bent over on salary. You can sell Rashford and replace him with equal quality for less money. It can be done.

Last edited:

Marwood

He’s unlikely to lose much of his page for the majority of the contract.
True you wouldn't think so but he is the type for who even a small loss of pace would have a big impact. That with his inconsistency across seasons and within individual games means he shouldn't be getting world class top of the game type wages. It's too risky.

BoulderDevil

I'm on about how much a player is worth now. How much they'd go for if we were to sell now. Nobody is giving us much for Sancho if we sell this summer are they? His value now will be in line with his ability.

Where as Rashford. He'd be well over £100 million. Has to be when you look at his overall profile. Which I think is more than his actual ability is worth.

I don’t want to sell him. I want him to stay for life. But equally the club shouldn't be bent over on salary. You can sell Rashford and replace him with equal quality for less money. It can be done.
Name a player who can score 30 + goals a season against top competitors that isn’t worth 100 mil

RuudTom83

The media will run this story for a while as Rashford is one of the names that can push numbers…but meh who cares about his contract.

He will either extend or leave…if he stays United still need a CF, if he goes then Sancho/Garnacho have the chance to grab the LW.

Nothing to get worked up about.

Marwood

Name a player who can score 30 + goals a season against top competitors that isn’t worth 100 mil
It's one season. Are you now sure going forwards Rashford is a consistent 30 goal a season player? If we're going to pay top of the game wages we should be sure of top of the game consistency yes?

But remember pre world cup he'd scored 4 league goals. How do we know next season, after signing a huge contract, which version of Rashford we get? Pre or post world cup Rashford? Reality is we don't know. He probably doesn't himself. His form has been so up and down for ay least two years.

And as a reminder, Ivan Toney currently has more goals and assists in the Prem League than Rashford. He's had an amazing run of goals since Jan but 14 league goals and a couple of assists doesn't warrant a salary that's up there with the very best. Equally I think there are plenty out there who can get you 14 league goals at this stage for a lot less than £100 million(although I said Rashford would likely go for more than that).

Let's not do with Rashford what we did with De Gea.

Keep him but not at all costs.

edcunited1878

He will leave if we only offer the Glazers wage cap. Another reason why the club definitely needs to be sold.
The wage cap isn't because of the Glazers. United have had a self imposed 'wage cap' of about 50% to 55% of wages to turnover ratio. That is well within themselves even throughout the Glazer era. It increased the past few years with Ronaldo and without CL, but even if it's around 60%, it's much more sustainable than majority of other clubs.

Marcus will probably be the highest earner at 270K to 300K pounds per week as a base salary. If he walks because he wants 400K, then it's a pure money grab as the platform he now has under EtH will only make him a more consistent and top top player in the PL and Europe.

tomaldinho1

It's one season. Are you now sure going forwards Rashford is a consistent 30 goal a season player? If we're going to pay top of the game wages we should be sure of top of the game consistency yes?

But remember pre world cup he'd scored 4 league goals. How do we know next season, after signing a huge contract, which version of Rashford we get? Pre or post world cup Rashford? Reality is we don't know. He probably doesn't himself. His form has been so up and down for ay least two years.

And as a reminder, Ivan Toney currently has more goals and assists in the Prem League than Rashford. He's had an amazing run of goals since Jan but 14 league goals and a couple of assists doesn't warrant a salary that's up there with the very best. Equally I think there are plenty out there who can get you 14 league goals at this stage for a lot less than £100 million(although I said Rashford would likely go for more than that).

I get what you’re saying and agree he’s have a seriously inflated transfer price compared to his ability but then he’s somewhat of a symbol for us now and I really don’t think there are that many players out there who play LW and could reproduce his output (despite as you say it not being some mythical 30 goal season, it’s a very attainable amount of goals for a top player).

Even with a blank chequebook who plays LW and would be an immediate upgrade?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The wage cap isn't because of the Glazers. United have had a self imposed 'wage cap' of about 50% to 55% of wages to turnover ratio. That is well within themselves even throughout the Glazer era. It increased the past few years with Ronaldo and without CL, but even if it's around 60%, it's much more sustainable than majority of other clubs.

Marcus will probably be the highest earner at 270K to 300K pounds per week as a base salary. If he walks because he wants 400K, then it's a pure money grab as the platform he now has under EtH will only make him a more consistent and top top player in the PL and Europe.
What about the reports of the "Ronaldo Rule" salary cap that was supposedly passed with ETH's blessing which would cap salaries at 200k?

Hammondo

I don't think he's a Spain type player, I can't see them interested in him.

Rolaholic

I don't think he's a Spain type player, I can't see them interested in him.
Barcelona tried to sign him a few years ago, his reps had 3 separate meetings with them during the 19/20 season but he opted not to take them up on their interest.

edcunited1878

What about the reports of the "Ronaldo Rule" salary cap that was supposedly passed with ETH's blessing which would cap salaries at 200k?
There are players currently over that, such as Casemiro. Players were grandfathered in (Sancho, Varane, DDG) but that type of hard and fast self-imposed cap would hurt United for marquee players.

I think baseline wages, not including performance incentives and bonuses, would reach 250/275. For example, if Marcus had a bonus clause of 5M for 30+ goals in a season, that's almost 100K per week if you divide 5M by 52 weeks.

Not sure what Bruno renewed for, but he should be in the upper tier along with Casemiro, Varane, Marcus (soon), Sancho (by default), possibly Shaw? That's the importance of youth players as well as good squad players, they help average out the wage scale.

SuperScoot

Honestly I would have sold him a year ago. Ten Hag and his team have worked wonders with Marcus.

He must appreciate that, and is finally showing his potential at the club he has grown up in and supported all his life, can't be no better feeling.

I know cash is king for some players and we are trying to adopt a new wage structure which I completely agree with, as it got out of hand under Woodward. But I'll be very surprised now, if an agreement is not reached on a new contract.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why is so much discussion on salary cap, no team handicaps themselves by such a crap cap. It was reported by one reporter and none of the reputed ones reported any story on that.

Strelok

Go visit my Mbappe thread. :wenger:
Mbappe is reportedly on €1.5m a week I think. If you take his transfer fee into consideration which would be around 200m then it'd be around €2.3m a week for a 5 years contract. I know Mbappe is better but don't think that much.

SuperScoot

Why is so much discussion on salary cap, no team handicaps themselves by such a crap cap. It was reported by one reporter and none of the reputed ones reported any story on that.
Because it appeared the club briefed it and let's be honest, something needed to be done, it was out of hand, see state of our finances.

The CR7 deal was just plain dumb, and they realised this in hindsight. DDG was the next biggest earner at £350k per week, and they had option to extend for a year on same terms but are renegotiating reduced wages instead.

I back the club on this, the Woodward days are over. If Marcus is is not happy with £250k-£300k max, making him top earner then he should go to PSG, as he would be going for all the wrong reasons.

Sancho and Martial are also on scandalously high wages vs. their performances. You have got to have a sustainable structure, see Fergie/Gill days in charge as reference. Throwing money around does not solve our problems.

Marwood

I get what you’re saying and agree he’s have a seriously inflated transfer price compared to his ability but then he’s somewhat of a symbol for us now and I really don’t think there are that many players out there who play LW and could reproduce his output (despite as you say it not being some mythical 30 goal season, it’s a very attainable amount of goals for a top player).

Even with a blank chequebook who plays LW and would be an immediate upgrade?
I'm probably not a good person to ask as I barely watch football outside of United but there are always players out there.

Might not be a player so scores as many but brings us more in other ways.

Hopefully he stays anyway but on a good not silly wage.

roonster09

Scout

Rashford became consistent (undisputed) starting player in 2019-20 season, since then his goal contributions are 34, 36, 7 and 36 (with many games to go). Last season was exception rather than norm in Rashford's career. He was on penalty duties only in one season too, so almost all his contributions are from open play (or most of them).

People can question his general play but his numbers are always good, even when he was a rotational player, he was averaging very good mins per G+A. Even if you consider only PL, he averages around 137 mins per G+A which is a very good record considering he was playing good amount of mins since he was 18.

SeasonAgeMinsGoalsAssistsG+AMins per G+A
2022-232532882793691
2021-22241658527237
2020-21234147211536115
2019-20223465221234102
2018-19213278131023143
2017-1820267013922121
2016-1719305911718170
2015-161814168210142

It is true Ivan Toney has scored more league goals than Rashford but he also scored lot of penalties. He is in 3rd position for open play goals, only behind Kane and Haaland. Haaland is miles ahead but Kane is just 4 goals ahead of Rashford.

Also in top 5 leagues, only 5 players have scored more league goals than Rashford from open play this season.
Haaland - 23 (2120 mins)
Osimhen - 21 (1916 mins)
Kane - 18 (2508 mins)
Mbappe - 17 (1922 mins)
Lewandowski - 15 (1772 mins)
Rashford - 14 (2135 mins)

Rashford this season is playing like an elite attacker, he won't be highest paid player in the league but to retain him we have to pay more than 300K, which is very common wage now at PL level and at big clubs.

roonster09

Scout
Because it appeared the club briefed it and let's be honest, something needed to be done, it was out of hand, see state of our finances.

The CR7 deal was just plain dumb, and they realised this in hindsight. DDG was the next biggest earner at £350k per week, and they had option to extend for a year on same terms but are renegotiating reduced wages instead.

I back the club on this, the Woodward days are over. If Marcus is is not happy with £250k-£300k max, making him top earner then he should go to PSG, as he would be going for all the wrong reasons.

Sancho and Martial are also on scandalously high wages vs. their performances. You have got to have a sustainable structure, see Fergie/Gill days in charge as reference. Throwing money around does not solve our problems.
If the club briefed, it would have been reported by Simon Stone, Ducker, Jamie Jackson, Luckhurst all at once.

This was reported by some random paper and no one followed it up with any other story which said anything remotely close to the original report.

De Gea getting wage cut is not structure, it's the basic thing. He got that contract when he was at his peak, now he will either get the reduced contract or will be let go on free transfer. It's a natural process, just like if Garnacho gets new contract it won't be on same wages he is on, he will get bigger wages than what he is on now.

You back club on this? What exactly is the club stance here? People have created some imaginary scenario with all the wage cap thing and started this club vs player thing. No, there isn't club vs player, club wants him to stay and will offer him what they think is right offer and sustainable for the club.

edcunited1878

United have always had a sustainable wage structure. It has always been healthy even with Ronaldo. Just that it looks very bad when your highest earners such as a Pogba and Ronaldo didn't perform close to their wages half the time. Sancho and Martial have higher wages due to their age and potential at the time. Martial was game for his wages until 2 years ago when he broke down.

Marwood

Rashford became consistent (undisputed) starting player in 2019-20 season, since then his goal contributions are 34, 36, 7 and 36 (with many games to go). Last season was exception rather than norm in Rashford's career. He was on penalty duties only in one season too, so almost all his contributions are from open play (or most of them).

People can question his general play but his numbers are always good, even when he was a rotational player, he was averaging very good mins per G+A. Even if you consider only PL, he averages around 137 mins per G+A which is a very good record considering he was playing good amount of mins since he was 18.

SeasonAgeMinsGoalsAssistsG+AMins per G+A
2022-232532882793691
2021-22241658527237
2020-21234147211536115
2019-20223465221234102
2018-19213278131023143
2017-1820267013922121
2016-1719305911718170
2015-161814168210142

It is true Ivan Toney has scored more league goals than Rashford but he also scored lot of penalties. He is in 3rd position for open play goals, only behind Kane and Haaland. Haaland is miles ahead but Kane is just 4 goals ahead of Rashford.

Also in top 5 leagues, only 5 players have scored more league goals than Rashford from open play this season.
Haaland - 23 (2120 mins)
Osimhen - 21 (1916 mins)
Kane - 18 (2508 mins)
Mbappe - 17 (1922 mins)
Lewandowski - 15 (1772 mins)
Rashford - 14 (2135 mins)

Rashford this season is playing like an elite attacker, he won't be highest paid player in the league but to retain him we have to pay more than 300K, which is very common wage now at PL level and at big clubs.
I think it was more than a season. He was poor second half of 20/21. Awful all last season. Average this season until the world cup.

That's two years of rubbish/average.

But you're right, he does usually end up with a good amount of goals and there is a lack of players who do so in football right now.

So yeah he should be paid well, should be up there as the best paid at our club. But in negotiations we'll hopefully remember his transfer value will be inflated way above his actual ability. More likely is us giving him whatever he wants though.

SuperScoot

If the club briefed, it would have been reported by Simon Stone, Ducker, Jamie Jackson, Luckhurst all at once.

This was reported by some random paper and no one followed it up with any other story which said anything remotely close to the original report.

De Gea getting wage cut is not structure, it's the basic thing. He got that contract when he was at his peak, now he will either get the reduced contract or will be let go on free transfer. It's a natural process, just like if Garnacho gets new contract it won't be on same wages he is on, he will get bigger wages than what he is on now.

You back club on this? What exactly is the club stance here? People have created some imaginary scenario with all the wage cap thing and started this club vs player thing. No, there isn't club vs player, club wants him to stay and will offer him what they think is right offer and sustainable for the club.
No sorry I did see it from different sources, not just one paper at the time and thought this feels like someone high up.sending a message to the fans. Whether that was unofficial or.not, or through reputable journos, I don't know, but it certainly led myself and many others to form that opinion.

The Woodward era is not sustainable. The Ronaldo wage was ridiculous. We are now in.a position were to meet ffp, we are having to balance books. The Glazers last transfer window was put on the credit card. Our main sponsor has pulled the plug amd it's not assured we will get anywhere near the same deal. Its not good situation at utd financially, and its down to.the poor way the club has been run. So yeah, take me back to the days when we had a wage structure (still one of the best in the world), and players want to come and stay based on not just the money but the fact they actually want to be a part of what Eth is building.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
No sorry I did see it from different sources, not just one paper at the time and thought this feels like someone high up.sending a message to the fans. Whether that was unofficial or.not, or through reputable journos, I don't know, but it certainly led myself and many others to form that opinion.

The Woodward era is not sustainable. The Ronaldo wage was ridiculous. We are now in.a position were to meet ffp, we are having to balance books. The Glazers last transfer window was put on the credit card. Our main sponsor has pulled the plug amd it's not assured we will get anywhere near the same deal. Its not good situation at utd financially, and its down to.the poor way the club has been run. So yeah, take me back to the days when we had a wage structure (still one of the best in the world), and players want to come and stay based on not just the money but the fact they actually want to be a part of what Eth is building.
I’ll wait for a Guardian/Telegraph/Athletic/BBC link on that. I don’t think I’ve seen anything about a wage cap reported on those sites.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I have no clue if PSG are offering this and if yes is it base or including bonus.

However I am sure Rashford will not sign a contract which will give him „only“ 50 k base more than the one he signed years ago.

There’s no way Rashford - entering his prime - is going to accept anything less than Varane, Case or Sancho. Then he is also kind of the face of the club and our most marketable player.

ETH seems to rate him very highly and I can’t imagine Qatar/Ineos wanting to lose him.
Specially if the Qataris own the club, I can't see them allowing him to go to PSG. They would give him what he wants

roonster09

Scout

There are 2 things, paying 100 million transfer fee for average players is not sustainable, our wage structure was always sustainable, even under SAF we paid good wages and our wage bill was always highest or second highest in the league.

roonster09

Scout
I think it was more than a season. He was poor second half of 20/21. Awful all last season. Average this season until the world cup.

That's two years of rubbish/average.

But you're right, he does usually end up with a good amount of goals and there is a lack of players who do so in football right now.

So yeah he should be paid well, should be up there as the best paid at our club. But in negotiations we'll hopefully remember his transfer value will be inflated way above his actual ability. More likely is us giving him whatever he wants though.
I said that about his numbers, so yes last season was the exception. Apart from that, he always had good numbers for the mins he played.

Not sure what this transfer value is, not sure why it will even inflate way above his actual ability. Are we paying transfer fee? or are you saying if PSG wants to pay 70-80 million, that's way more than what Rashford is worth?

TheReligion

Abusive
This is the contract you should be getting him to sign. He’s 25 so arguably this one sees out his peak years with no decline. Paying him in line with the clubs top earners with incentives is correct.

The next contract after this is the one to play more hardball as he’d be 30, or approaching that age, and his physical attributes are likely to start dropping off unless he’s began to develop other areas of his game.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
This is the contract you should be getting him to sign. He’s 25 so arguably this one sees out his peak years with no decline. Paying him in line with the clubs top earners with incentives is correct.

The next contract after this is the one to play more hardball as he’d be 30, or approaching that age, and his physical attributes are likely to start dropping off unless he’s began to develop other areas of his game.
I agree with this, between 300-350k is alright i think.

Dannn411

Saka just got 300k and is 4 years younger. Rashford is worth no more than that. As great as Rashford has been this season, the issue has always been consistency. Great one season, mediocre the next. This is just one season of greatness. He needs to confirn that he is on a new level by dragging us over the line the rest of this season AND putting together another 25+ goal season next year. Otherwise, he is no different to the other pretenders to the winger throne.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I see we still have lots of doubters on here.

Just imagine where we'd be this season without Rashy. He's literally the only attacker that has come to the party. I made a comment the other day that ETH would be hanging onto his job without Rashy and it was scoffed at. But it's actually true. Martial hasn't been fit, Weghorst hasn't worked out and Antony has been average at very best. Without Rashford finding his form again we'd not even be in the top 6 let alone top 3.

He won't be leaving anyway. He's our best attacker by a million miles and he's a red through and through.

Status
Not open for further replies.