Rashford or Sterling?

simplyared

In terms of developing young players Ross Barkley has put his present form progress down to Sarri. He stagnated under Koeman and Allardyce at Everton. Now beginning to show his full potential. Toy with idea of Rashford under the wing of Sarri?

Last edited:

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
He wouldn't start for any of the big six, so teams like Everton and West Ham are currently his level imo. If you say he's a cut above those teams, to me it feels like you're talking about his potential and not his actual level right now. As someone mentioned above, I don't think he's better than the likes Richarlison.

Sterling on the other hand would start for almost any of the big six, and has been a regular in the first team of two big six teams since he was two years younger than Rashford is right now.
That makes no sense. You say Rashford is Everton / West Ham level right now, while the actual discussion was about an opinion that Rashford will end up at Everton / West Ham. So he won‘t develop one bit after the age of 20?

My opinion: loan him to Bundesliga, the perfect environment to develop english youngsters. Give him to Favre, Nagelsmann etc. and he could become good.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That makes no sense. You say Rashford is Everton / West Ham level right now, while the actual discussion was about an opinion that Rashford will end up at Everton / West Ham. So he won‘t develop one bit after the age of 20?

My opinion: loan him to Bundesliga, the perfect environment to develop english youngsters. Give him to Favre, Nagelsmann etc. and he could become good.
I'd say there's a good chance he gets better than he is right now, of course - I'd say the odds that he gets good enough to be a regular starter for any of the top six are 50/50 though, you see just as much young potential stars falter than break through.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I'd say there's a good chance he gets better than he is right now, of course - I'd say the odds that he gets good enough to be a regular starter for any of the top six are 50/50 though, you see just as much young potential stars falter than break through.
I would say a 'Walcott' career is not out of question. He did end up at Everton, but he has been a starter at a Top4 Club for many years and had two very good seasons in terms of goalscoring (21 in 12/13 and 19 in 16/17).

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
At this moment in time it has to Sterling.
However, i would love to see Rashford surrounded by the quality of player Sterling is week in week out, with a forward thinking, attacking coach for a sustained period of time. I think he'd be absolutely frightening.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
At this moment in time it has to Sterling.
However, i would love to see Rashford surrounded by the quality of player Sterling is week in week out, with a forward thinking, attacking coach for a sustained period of time. I think he'd be absolutely frightening.
This. People don’t see what Rashford brings to a team

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Rashford has talent and quality but some of his decision making have little to do with the quality of temmates around him (or maybe it does as he wants to stupidly impress too much on his own?).
It's tough for me to judge him because I can see in him a really good player in the future but at times I see how stupid he is too :lol:

Boycott

Sterling despite his goal tally didn't catch my eye much different to his previous seasons. I think he is a very good player with fantastic balance and speed but while other players at Man City have had their roles expanded in Guardiola's system, I think Sterling's has been simplified. He misses a lot of chances - it's just they create so much it negates that. Furthermore it seems most of his goals are tap ins at the back post - he makes the same runs all game and it helps having creative players to pick him out.

Rashford doesn't have the luxury of the latter but I think in his short career he has scored a range of different kinds of goals to say he can become better. Right now Sterling is better.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Rashford has had seven good games. Sterling has been immense for over two years now. Similar levels of talent but Rash has a long way to go to be as good still. Luckily time is on his side.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'd say Rashford would need to perform at his best consistently to be considered as better than Sterling who was terrific for the entirety of last season, but he's certainly starting to make it a conversation now. And he's showing that when prioritised and not treated as a throwaway squad player that he's got some real talent.

red4ever 79

Bit of an unfair comparison really as they are completely different players. That being said Sterling is more talented of the two. Wonderful to watch

deafepl

I don't really follow Ligue 1, just wondering how is Mbappé's performance recently.
Unfortaletly, I only trust Mbappe's UCL performance, Ligue 1 means nothing, Depay and Thauvin is playing so well in Ligue 1 but flopped in EPL.

Back to his UCL performance, since against Bayern, sometime he is on fire and cold.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Rashford is better in the moment, and probably can be going forward as he is finally entering his prime... Sterling is still ahead based on the last 5 years?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I agree Sterling would be the safest option even with the bigger price tag. However, myself being a gambler, I would go for Rashford.
Reasons: I'm convinced we are not getting his full potential at utd and there is a lot more there than we are seeing. Which would, of course, narrow it down to the people looking after him. It would be realistic to say that Sterling has improved a lot under Pep's man to man management. Rashford had already shown what he was capable of when he burst onto the scene under LVG. IMO Jose with his onus on defensive qualities has stifled his development! Under Pep, for example I think we'd see another Rashford than we are seeing today.
Of course I don't have facts and it's only what I believe, and yes I'm taking the liberty to have a dig at our manager. That said we have seen traces of a very gifted footballer we have on our hands, which was there to be seen in his latest performance for his country. No problem with decision making there! And no I'm not building my judgement on one game!
So in answer to the OP, I'd go for the 20 yr old Rashford and turn him into the player he should be!
If I was Sarri or Poch that is!
That said, great call