Rashford, our most exciting youth product since Ryan Giggs?

Laphroaig

It isn't, when he got his chance in the 1st team, he was like a rabbit in the headlights.

As has already been stated every chance Rashford has had, he has stepped up to the challenge. Hes a cut above, quite clearly.
I edited it for nuance.

Taxx

Let's not forget how we were raving about Januzaj two years ago. I'm excited by Rashford but it hasn't yet gotten to the point where I feel absolutely convinced he'll go on to become a star, or even a regular, for us, like I am with Martial for instance.
Very good point, and I agree completely. Let's not jump to any conclusions on him just yet. He is absolutely exciting, but he doesn't seem like a 'sure thing' just yet despite his excellent start.

PvsNP

I don't get the Adnan love in, apart from one game. he's done nothing. He was no good on loan and his cameos have been awful. Maybe it's one of those "The less he plays, the better he becomes" things.
I agree, although it was more than one game. He's done feck all since.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
You liked TFM's debut better than Rashford who scored 2 goals in 12 minutes on his debut and looked very assured in a European game at a moment we were staring at elimination from the competition? This is not a slight at TFM but Rashford's debut was the stuff of dreams.
Yes. It was like I said - of course Rashford had a hollywood debut but in TFM I saw that he was a first team material, while I'm still not sure if Rashford has it, we had many memorable debuts which ended up in nothing and he is far from a finished product. I hope that he'll prove me wrong, of course, and I like the guy very much, but I'm not sure if he'll continue to grow at the same trajectory, which takes something from the magical beginning of his professional career

I don't know if that makes sense, but that's just how I feel.

To be fair to him he continued to shine even on an international level, which hopefully proves me wrong

tomaldinho1

I agree, although it was more than one game. He's done feck all since.
He was good but not great in the Moyes era and has since been dreadful. He reminds me of that snotty kid who was always ill at school, doesn't seem to have a lot of fire in him and content to sulk rather than get his head down.

Admittedly I might be wrong but that is the impression I get from him.

Red_toad

I can't really remember anyone who has burst onto the scene in quite the way Rashford has, since Giggs. I doubt I have seen such cool, natural finisher at the club, give him a shot at goal & he just bangs it in.

I really hope this guy makes it.
Best since Giggs?

Probably Scholes.

Most exciting since Giggs, Ravel.

Rashford avoided the hype of Ravel (who should be now on the cusp of being a world class player). And was over shadowed by Wilson

Time will tell how his career pans out. For me the next big thing will be Angel Gomes, but as he's 15 has a long way to go, but does look a massive talent.

Ainu

Yes. It was like I said - of course Rashford had a hollywood debut but in TFM I saw that he was a first team material, while I'm still not sure if Rashford has it, we had many memorable debuts which ended up in nothing and he is far from a finished product. I hope that he'll prove me wrong, of course, and I like the guy very much, but I'm not sure if he'll continue to grow at the same trajectory, which takes something from the magical beginning of his professional career

I don't know if that makes sense, but that's just how I feel.

To be fair to him he continued to shine even on an international level, which hopefully proves me wrong
I think with TFM it was a case of confirming the high expectations everyone had based on his reserve appearances, while Rashford came out of nowhere so there were understandably some reservations. Had people been raving about him as much as they'd been about TFM and he'd put in that performance on his debut, a lot of people would feel very different about it. You're right that a successful debut is a poor indication of what might happen in the future, but in defence of Rashford he's since shown that it wasn't a fluke. He still has a long way to go but the signs are there for him to become a good - potentially great - player.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Well, Scholes was a better player than Giggs, so surely it should be 'since Scholes'.

Is he? Maybe, we shouldn't get carried away with youngsters, expectations need to be lowered. Look what happened with Macheda and now Adnan.

I also think Pereira is ridiculously talented and it's a travesty he never got a chance under LvG.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Januzaj for me.

Lots of people trying to downplay his first season but he really looked a cracking player. Genuinely looked like a player who would go on to great things with us until Van Gaal came inn.

Hugely excited by Rashford as well. He might become what we all thought Welbeck would.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We have Macheda back then, who broke into the scene out of nowhere and become instant hit as a 17 year old (for a few matches).
Then we have Januzaj, who is highly talented and have a great first season with us, when everyone back then kept comparing him with young Ronaldo and refused to believe there's slight possibility of him ending up just like Macheda.
We also have Morrison and Pogba, who won the FA Youth Cup in 2011 and been regarded as our 2 of our biggest talent in years.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Adnan never excited me, especially after he was being hyped up after a few good games under Moyes...I knew the crash was near. It always happens when you get excited about someone, the expectations inflate and they almost always fail to live up to them. With Rashford, its all about his work ethic and attitude. If he keeps working hard he can make it.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I've tried to keep the lid on my excitement after several notable let-downs, but it's hard not to get carried away with Rashford. Just seems to have everything going for him, without the sense of entitlement some other young talents have exhibited. Once he gains the confidence and physical presence to start challenging defenders aerially, could be something to behold.

Erictheking7

From the trawler in front of the seagulls.........
Well, Scholes was a better player than Giggs, so surely it should be 'since Scholes'.

Is he? Maybe, we shouldn't get carried away with youngsters, expectations need to be lowered. Look what happened with Macheda and now Adnan.

I also think Pereira is ridiculously talented and it's a travesty he never got a chance under LvG.
Giggs was a far superior player to Scholes from the age of 16 to early/mid twenties. Scholes developed a little older. Giggs when he burst onto the scene was pretty much unplayable at age group levels and would regularly rip teams apart on his own.
Since Giggs? Beckham would be a good shout but if we move away from the class of 92 syndrome then Pogba and hopefully Rashford stand out.
Adnan, Macheda and even the twins were all hugely promising but have disappointed in different ways.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I was more convinced about Januzaj, thought he had a calm and intelligent head on him that would surely make him succeed. Didnt quite pan out. With Rashford... we'll see how good he becomes. He has shown he is a terrific finisher but how much of that and the rest of his game has been just riding on a hot streak? Next season will determine how good he really is and how good he can become.

Will Absolute

In the short term, goal scoring can be heavily influenced by luck - a forward can have a run of games in which things happen to fall his way. This can occur anytime in a player's career, including the very beginning. We saw a mini version of this with Macheda.

The question is - is this what's happened with Rashford? He was impressive at under-age level, without necessarily looking nailed on to be the next club superstar. From what we've seen for the seniors, it's safe to say he's a good player. Beyond that, only time will tell.

I'll admit to having been more convinced by Adnan. Of the present batch, I'd put my money on TFM.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I was more convinced about Januzaj, thought he had a calm and intelligent head on him that would surely make him succeed. Didnt quite pan out. With Rashford... we'll see how good he becomes. He has shown he is a terrific finisher but how much of that and the rest of his game has been just riding on a hot streak? Next season will determine how good he really is and how good he can become.
I wouldn't give up just yet. I refuse to belive that sort of brilliance just disappears. Van Gaal was the worst thing to happen to some of the youngsters that were already prospering.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I just don't get the Januzaj love in, based on a few decent games 2 years ago. Seriously?
Exactly.
I think Macheda, in his time, was every bit as prolific as Januzaj...for a few games.
Anderson, when he was at his peak, also had a few good games, for us.

Rashford, no doubt, is our most exciting young prospect right now. He knows how to put the ball at the back of the net - something that strikers in their prime find difficult to do (eg. Balotelli).

RedRevongge

There are a lot of youngsters whose hype I bought into. To name some recent examples Januzaj,Pogba,Rashford,TFM,Morrison etc. One player I was convinced would make it here was Rossi

Silverman

I had never heard of him before he made the subs bench earlier in the season. I had heard a lot about Pogba, Januzaj and Fosu-Mensah though for example. Was he always known as a massive talent or is he just an example of what a lot of youth players could do around the league if they are given a chance?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
To me since the CO’92 Ravel was the one I had huge expectations of. And he had the talent to make anything out of himself, too bad his head is not in it. Probably a move back to Championship / League One on the cards this summer.

stepic

I think Januzaj's debut where he scored 2 to win the game against Sunderland makes his history seem more memorable than what it was. He only scored another 2 goals in 26 appearances in that breakthrough season. And we know he's done feck all since.

Rashford is ahead of Januzaj for me, easily.

normalone

I think as usual the English media has played its part in overhyping Rashford. Not saying he can't be a future star but it's way too early to say one way or another. Martial is a good level above in terms of future prospect and has a more all around complete game

Reprobate01

Ravel for me. I would also luke to see him back here some day. Maybe another season or two abroad will make him grow up and he can come back to Manchester and give it another go.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I can't really remember anyone who has burst onto the scene in quite the way Rashford has, since Giggs. I doubt I have seen such cool, natural finisher at the club, give him a shot at goal & he just bangs it in.

I really hope this guy makes it.
By this I take it you mean burst into the first team? That might clarify it a bit more for some. I can understand how some posters might chose Ravel but he never really got into the first team on a regular basis.

Natener

There were references being made to Ronaldo during Januzaj's breakout season.

C.G.

I've been really excited by many. But Macheda, Ravel, Adnan, Anderson even Djemba-Djemba who had a great debut and so on have made me wary.

I'm excited by Rashford and TFM, but I want to see more over a longer period of time before I get really excited about them.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Rashford has performed with higher pressure and against better opposition and shown more consistency.
Can't say the same about Januzaj.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I wouldn't give up just yet. I refuse to belive that sort of brilliance just disappears. Van Gaal was the worst thing to happen to some of the youngsters that were already prospering.
True but I feel like if his attitude wasn't good enough for Van gaal, then there is no chsnce with Mourinho. Still think he will become a good player, just not sure if it'll be at United because he's relatively weak and Mourinho will hesitate to play him given his past 2 years.

mikey_d

Too early. Macheda?
5 goals 36 appearances for macheda over 4 years
8 goals in 18 appearances for rashford in 6 months.

think rashford has done more than macheda already. but it is a bit early for a thread like this.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
By this I take it you mean burst into the first team? That might clarify it a bit more for some. I can understand how some posters might chose Ravel but he never really got into the first team on a regular basis.
Absolutely, in the same way some scrawny 17 year old kid (Giggs) wowed us when he burst on the scene, so with Rashford, given a chance, due to a late injury, not only delivered in style, but has continued to deliver since he was first given his chance.

I love watching him score, who have we seen so calm in front of goal. I am genuinely amazed at how good he is.

Dr. J

Do Scholes and Beckham not count in this?

I have to say I was more excited about them.
I guess it's easy to say Becks and Scholes in retrospect, given what they accomplished. Neither were generating this kind of buzz at 18, though.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Let's not forget how we were raving about Januzaj two years ago. I'm excited by Rashford but it hasn't yet gotten to the point where I feel absolutely convinced he'll go on to become a star, or even a regular, for us, like I am with Martial for instance.
januzaj didn't really do much that season.. people just got excited because the team was so bad. rashford out did januzaj whole united career in 2 games.