Rashford - Playing through injury (again)

MUFromLTU

He’s not a special talent, Rooney was a special talent, Mbappe is a special talent. Rashford is a good player who is unbelievably overrated in England. Nobody outside of the UK rates him as a special player. He’s just a good but very inconsistent player capable of producing great moments.

Ole has let him down, out of fear of losing his job.
Not sure where you get that from. I’m from outside of UK and Rashford is rated in same bracket as Mbappe. If you ever see someone with United shirt it’s 99% Rashfords shirt. He was even voted #1 as most promising player of current generation by the biggest football portal here.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not sure where you get that from. I’m from outside of UK and Rashford is rated in same bracket as Mbappe. If you ever see someone with United shirt it’s 99% Rashfords shirt. He was even voted #1 as most promising player of current generation by the biggest football portal here.
That’s absolute insanity.

Red00012

whatever country you’re in and whoever rates him this highly needs to sit down and watch the last 12 months of Rashford .

Maticmaker

I’d imagine him playing has a lot to do with Rashford wanting to play. If it was seriously that bad he’d get surgery instead obviously feels like he can play on till after the euros and instead throw next season in to doubt Depending on recovery time.

Ole, the coaching staff and medical can only go off of what Rashford tells them on how he is coping with it. He’s most likely been advised it’s either manageable or to get surgery but in the end the decision is his.

Spot on!
A response to injuries of this kind are down to the player... unless the manager tries to force the issue, which years ago with spurious injections of one kind or another into the knee, ankle, thigh, etc. got players back out onto the pitch but left some virtually crippled by the time they had stopped playing.

Fluctuation0161

That doesn't mean he flogs him to death though. He keeps him on in majority of games even if he's the poorest forward, plays him in Cup games when there is no need to. Manage his playing time!

Edit - If Jose was playing an injured player all the time, we would be shitting on him for risking a player by proving a point to the board. Ole shouldn't get a pass for doing the same (if the injury is as serious as the brief is saying)
I'd agree, I would've preferred more rotation in the cup. But the drop off in quality is so big. Partly that drop off is the reality of the squad Ole inherited, combined with the weak investment last Summer and zero spend in January.

Fluctuation0161

It’s got absolutely nothing to do with the board if Rashford ends up permanently carrying an injury that’s on Ole, we’ve got James, Amad, Mata and Martial who can come in for Rashford. Don’t tell me because we didn’t sign a £120m player we have to play an injured one that’s not management. If KDB is injured he’s rotated with players not as good as him you don’t risk you best players like this it’s simple man management.

James and Diallo are investments in youth with potential for the future, not ready made first team replacements.

Mata has never been a good RW, now he is aged 104 he is too slow for that role, even more so than 2015.

Martial was injured last game.

Deery

Dreary
That doesn’t mean anything when it comes to management of our own squad, of course City have expensive players to come in I argued that in the City thread even before that tweet came out but we still should make do with what we have to maximise our chances over the course of the season and if that means playing James or Mata so be it.

You have to look at the big picture not just game to game management.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
That’s absolute insanity.
Maybe it is but it is true. I watch the premier league on DAZN Spain and I'm sure the commentators go through a couple of boxes of kleenex each time Rashford plays. Doesn't matter what sort of game he's having he's always being touted as one of the top 3 young players in world football. Personally I don't agree with it but it does happen.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe it is but it is true. I watch the premier league on DAZN Spain and I'm sure the commentators go through a couple of boxes of kleenex each time Rashford plays. Doesn't matter what sort of game he's having he's always being touted as one of the top 3 young players in world football. Personally I don't agree with it but it does happen.
Fair enough. I believe you. But that’s madness.

Lappen

To all self proclaimed doctors in here. You can play with injuries. It is not that rare and many players do as long as it is not muscular and other injuries that need resting or some kind of bigger treatment. I'm seeing some using this as a beating stick against Solskjaer is not that shocking. Agenda.

We have been through this once but needs to be said again. Managers don't decide if a player is injuried or not. It is doctors. They talk with the player and they decide if the player can be available for games. It is then up to manager to decide if this player is needed or not. Once again. Managers don't decide if a player is injuried.

When operation is needed you can decide if you need to have it immediately (with broken legs/bones) or can wait until end of season. If Rashford needs one and twitter is true, it is about choosing looking at risks and gains. Do ManUtd send him to operation table and he miss a month or more meaning we lose a player. Or does he play until end of season and get operation.
Get you point, but I think you look at the problem in black or white.
There is a big gray area as well! And when it comes to the quite complicated human body, I belive the gray area is quite big!
The decisions within the gray area, are the ones were decisions are taken with the surrounding added to the ekvation. For ex. Rashford miss the Euros if he makes the surgery. Man Utd are fighting for the top four and Ole prefer the 90% god Rashford than no Rashford...

If the added things in the ekvation was deleted I guess he would have the surgery today. The reson for that is because it would be for the best of his body.

I know players can and do play with injuries. But it is a gamble. Probably it turns out ok more often than not. And the gamble is on the player, not the club.

There is quite a lott storys out there to reed about other sports and the unwillingness from teams to listen to the medical reports. And what the result with that have/had on the players.

How is it with kids i the UK? There are quite a lott medical reports saying that it shouldn't be aloud with headers in the under fifteen games.

My point is that the medicals don't always get i right, and that the one who pays your check always has a say!
And the player has a say as well of course. If Rashford gets a second opinion telling everything will be ok until after the euros, the decision gets easier to make for the club that wants the same thing.

You did write that they do choose between gain and risk, so I guess we have the same thoughts about how teams do this.
But a team under big pressure can easily move the line to suit the money instead of, the best for the player.

Monkey bus

If his injury was serious he wouldn’t be playing end of story. I can’t understand how people don’t see this. He‘s our most expensive asset and one of our top 3 players.

Of course he’s highly rated on the global scene. He walks into the international team where there is a bit of an embarrassment of riches for his position. You don’t get on the front cover of Time Magazine for just doing a bit of work for charity.

He‘s going through a barren spell but you can’t doubt his value to Man Utd.

GlasgowCeltic

Playing injured players is straight from the Jose school of management (as is freezing out new signings)

90 + 5min

Get you point, but I think you look at the problem in black or white.
There is a big gray area as well! And when it comes to the quite complicated human body, I belive the gray area is quite big!
The decisions within the gray area, are the ones were decisions are taken with the surrounding added to the ekvation. For ex. Rashford miss the Euros if he makes the surgery. Man Utd are fighting for the top four and Ole prefer the 90% god Rashford than no Rashford...

If the added things in the ekvation was deleted I guess he would have the surgery today. The reson for that is because it would be for the best of his body.

I know players can and do play with injuries. But it is a gamble. Probably it turns out ok more often than not. And the gamble is on the player, not the club.

There is quite a lott storys out there to reed about other sports and the unwillingness from teams to listen to the medical reports. And what the result with that have/had on the players.

How is it with kids i the UK? There are quite a lott medical reports saying that it shouldn't be aloud with headers in the under fifteen games.

My point is that the medicals don't always get i right, and that the one who pays your check always has a say!
And the player has a say as well of course. If Rashford gets a second opinion telling everything will be ok until after the euros, the decision gets easier to make for the club that wants the same thing.

You did write that they do choose between gain and risk, so I guess we have the same thoughts about how teams do this.
But a team under big pressure can easily move the line to suit the money instead of, the best for the player.
I get your point and agree that it isn’t black and white. But it is still not Solskjaer that decide about injuries. He might be involved in discussion but it is doctors and player who decide. Doctors are professional.

I have to say that I really don’t care about Euros. There was a time when international games were big but that is over because it has lost its meaning with all the changes. I’m one that would take a PL trophy before Euro trophy for my country. WorldCup is bigger and different thing even if it is slowly losing attraction. So if Rashford, despite losing his form, can play season and would miss Euro because of operation I’m for it.

From players point of view it is always best to rest intill they are 100% fit. That means that a player would sit out about 90% of the season.

As I said, it is about looking at the risk and gains. If Rashford says, I want to have operation to bit fit for Euros, Solskjaer or the club can’t stop him. If he decide with doctors that he can play, he is available for selection.

He'sRaldo

If his injury was serious he wouldn’t be playing end of story. I can’t understand how people don’t see this. He‘s our most expensive asset and one of our top 3 players.

Of course he’s highly rated on the global scene. He walks into the international team where there is a bit of an embarrassment of riches for his position. You don’t get on the front cover of Time Magazine for just doing a bit of work for charity.

He‘s going through a barren spell but you can’t doubt his value to Man Utd.
Thrice in Ole's 3 year tenure at the club he's played players who are on the line of injury, and it has backfired. Lingard vs Liverpool, Pogba vs Rochdale, Rashford vs Wolves. Both Lingard and Rashford came off the bench injured and ended up aggravating the injury, while Pogba played the full match straight back from injury against lower league opposition. He ended up aggravating his injury as well.

I have no idea where you get your confidence from, because it's definitely not from Ole's actions.

Manoucha09

I wont disagree with you, but for me I think there are a lot of instances where you just have to trust the club. They have access to data that we supporters can only dream of when it comes to assessing players, so while on the face of it I also found it unnecessary to play Rashford and Bruno against Sociedad, I have to assume that they felt keeping them match active was more beneficial than a rest would have been.

Same with Amad. I would have loved to see him start that game, but perhaps he just isn't physically ready to play 90 minutes at that level. We have to trust the club
Fair enough. The club are obviously in the better position to judge. It's just frustrating when something like Amad playing at least 60 minutes of a dead-rubber game is so blatantly obvious.

I still trust Ole and think (or hope) that he'll get it right and lead us to some silverware. He's obviously still improving as a manager and, hopefully with a better squad, he'll learn to utilize his squad better over time. He does seem to rely on a small group of players when he can - as we saw post-lockdown last season - which could potentially be disastrous.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Fair enough. The club are obviously in the better position to judge. It's just frustrating when something like Amad playing at least 60 minutes of a dead-rubber game is so blatantly obvious.

I still trust Ole and think (or hope) that he'll get it right and lead us to some silverware. He's obviously still improving as a manager and, hopefully with a better squad, he'll learn to utilize his squad better over time. He does seem to rely on a small group of players when he can - as we saw post-lockdown last season - which could potentially be disastrous.
Its difficult to rotate our attack when we're missing Pogba and Mata, and Martial not being deserving of a place. We could have used the Lingard that West Ham are seeing but I doubt that we'd be getting that same level of performance out of him

Lappen

I get your point and agree that it isn’t black and white. But it is still not Solskjaer that decide about injuries. He might be involved in discussion but it is doctors and player who decide. Doctors are professional.

I have to say that I really don’t care about Euros. There was a time when international games were big but that is over because it has lost its meaning with all the changes. I’m one that would take a PL trophy before Euro trophy for my country. WorldCup is bigger and different thing even if it is slowly losing attraction. So if Rashford, despite losing his form, can play season and would miss Euro because of operation I’m for it.

From players point of view it is always best to rest intill they are 100% fit. That means that a player would sit out about 90% of the season.

As I said, it is about looking at the risk and gains. If Rashford says, I want to have operation to bit fit for Euros, Solskjaer or the club can’t stop him. If he decide with doctors that he can play, he is available for selection.
Fair points!
I agree that Solskaer is not to blame for every injury or decision around it, but I believe he is a part in the decisions, so I want lett him of to easy :0)

The Rashford injury is a bit strange. Its been on far to long, not to question the decision makers about it. And who knows, they might have a good answer.

I do feel my arguments also is balancing on " in a perfect world situation". And I really don't want to take the conversation up that line....
I would love if teams take more responsibility to protect the players, but like you write, its not possible to rest players for every little thing.
(There are teams out there doing a great job)

The euros just went more interesting when it looks lika Zlatan will participate.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
If the injury doesn’t force you out and you have the option to play then it’s up to the medical staff, the manager and the player. If all 3 parties are OK with it then I don’t see the issue with the player playing.

And again it also comes down to club v country. With Lindelöf I remember he played games for Sweden around October/November when he was still having back issues. Clubs are not allowed to force players to miss international games if they are not clearly injured.
So why should we rest players in such cases? If the player says “fine, I will miss 5 United games AND won’t join my national team afterwards so I have additional two weeks break” then fair enough. But most players want to play for their countries even if they are not completely fit.
So United rest a player only for the player to play international games and then United rest them again?
I am completely fine with players playing for their countries even when not 100% fit, but then if you are fit enough to play for your country you are fit enough to play for your club which pays your wages.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Off topic, but regarding the discussion going on here: actually I think Rashford is likely to be higher rated outside the UK. He's a player who looks good on clips, and gets decent numbers. But watching him play full games week in week out, makes you wonder what level he really is.

simplyared

He’s not a special talent, Rooney was a special talent, Mbappe is a special talent. Rashford is a good player who is unbelievably overrated in England. Nobody outside of the UK rates him as a special player. He’s just a good but very inconsistent player capable of producing great moments.

Ole has let him down, out of fear of losing his job.
"Not a special talent" is a statement I certainly wouldn't agree with you on.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Off topic, but regarding the discussion going on here: actually I think Rashford is likely to be higher rated outside the UK. He's a player who looks good on clips, and gets decent numbers. But watching him play full games week in week out, makes you wonder what level he really is.
Undoubtedly rated higher outside the UK. There'd be a stampede for his signature if there was ever a sniff of unrest at United.

He is still young. I think he'll gradually improve to the point where for 2 or 3 seasons he is really, really top drawer.

MattofManchester

Not sure why so many people have so many short memories.

Rashford pre-back injury rose up into one of the best in the league. At a time when we didn't have Pogba(injured), Martial(injured) and Bruno hadn't even arrived yet, he stole the show up front, making many think he'd become one of the best if not the best in the league.

It's post injury that's indeed distressing. And yet his numbers have been insanely good.

He needs to heal from all his injuries, and needs someone to work with him on his flaws, which we apparently don't seem to have.

MU655

If it's true that he is playing through injuries so much, his career isn't going to last long. It is reaching Michael Owen territory, at the moment, although he started a bit earlier.

I think he is a very good player, overall. He needs to sort himself out decision-wise and finishing one-on-one, but his dribbling and shooting from further out has improved a lot. If there is unrest building, there will be quite a few big clubs in for his signature. It is possible he is getting bored of the lack of success.

passing-wind

If his injury was serious he wouldn’t be playing end of story. I can’t understand how people don’t see this.
Totally untrue and false, Solskjaer played Pogba in a meaningless cup tie while needing ankle surgery and missed the fixture to follow against Arsenal. At this point in time Ole playing injured players is a habitual behaviour.

Monkey bus

Totally untrue and false, Solskjaer played Pogba in a meaningless cup tie while needing ankle surgery and missed the fixture to follow against Arsenal. At this point in time Ole playing injured players is a habitual behaviour.
Do you think that was Solskjaer’s decision based on no expert advice?

Is he the only Manager to bring a player back and the player’s injury flares up? Would you describe it as habitual?

It seems convenient how this is only being resurrected as Rashford isn’t playing well at the moment. It’s another great stick to beat Ole with it seems.

The bad form from Rashford is due to the fact his clueless Manager is forcing him to play with a serious injury.

Come on.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Any post that isn’t blindly optimistic & borderline deluded about the current state of the club is met with vitriol by most on here. To the majority on here sentiment is more important than winning.

I never even said he wasn’t a good player, I literally just said he wasn’t a special talent. Could we win a league title with him as a regular starter? I think so yes. Could we win a league title with him as one of our best players? No, I really don’t believe we can. He needs players better than him around him if we want to progress.
If he can get back to the form that he was in for the few months before his back injury last season, that is good enough to be one of our main players. He hasn't got back to anything like that since so I think it's absolutely fine to criticise his form and performances, but to say he doesn't have the ability or talent is going overboard. He's shown it for those few months. Utd and England players regularly say he's the most talented player in those teams. He's continued to show moments of fantastic ability (although even that has seemed to die off recently).

What will ultimately decide what level he reaches is whether he can do it consistently. On the plus side, he did have that one fantastic period, he has continued to score and assist even though his general play has been poor, and he's still only 23. On the negative side, he's only reached that fantastic level for one period of a few months, his general play at the moment actually seems to be getting worse instead of better, and he has shown a significant amount of laziness and perhaps poor attitude. I think people are almost hoping that he is playing through an injury as it helps explain some of those negatives, and gives hope that once he finally deals with it properly he can quickly get back to the top form.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not sure why so many people have so many short memories.

Rashford pre-back injury rose up into one of the best in the league. At a time when we didn't have Pogba(injured), Martial(injured) and Bruno hadn't even arrived yet, he stole the show up front, making many think he'd become one of the best if not the best in the league.

It's post injury that's indeed distressing. And yet his numbers have been insanely good.

He needs to heal from all his injuries, and needs someone to work with him on his flaws, which we apparently don't seem to have.
Actually Rashford was quite poor up front while Martial was injured. It was when Martial came back and Rashford went back out to the left that he exploded and almost carried us at times until his injury.

Drainy

It probably helps that Rashford has a very good record in big games, and those are the games that non-supporters will be more likely to watch.
Or they know that it's normal for players to lose the ball, make wrong passes or have bad games.

Everyone is more invested in their own team so we suffer the rage on the forum while people vent.

RashyForPM

I’d really love to see him given a month break or something around the upcoming international break. Maybe withdraw him from the squad to rest and then leave him out of the next four weeks of training and games. He, and especially his shoulder, will benefit a lot from one month of no physical stress and tension on it. I really admire his will to play through injury as it shows he truly loves the club as a fan like us, but he cannot keep doing it or he’ll be done by 28. I’m no expert, but it’s happened to many players in the past.

I suppose Ole won’t do it because even in current form he’s still our second biggest goal threat, but it’ll certainly do him good and rejuvenate him for the last month of the season and the Euros. A bit like when Fergie sent players off for surgery in 2002-03 after a poor start, and they came back refreshed to help us win the title.

All I know is, he definitely cannot play for England in the upcoming World Cup qualifiers. Southgate and Ole have to recognise this. England won’t need him to beat San Marino, Poland (good team, but they’ll have other players like Sancho) and Albania. Give him a month off and let him come back to fire us to 2nd and the EL title, and England deep into the Euros.

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

Nonsense. He’d get nowhere near their starting elevens.

You won’t see anyone from outside the UK calling Rashford a special talent. Rooney was, Scholes was, young Owen was, Rashford just isn’t.
What a load of BS. He's been crap lately but of course every country in the World recognizes him as a big talent - maybe just not in the Rooney mould. You must be living in the UK to have made something like this up. Commentators in other countries doesnt talk about him like he's just a Milner type of hard worker. Scored two decisive goals against PSG that went around the World too. Of course people see him as a flagship talent of Manchester United.

On topic: Just start Martial and Greenwood. We just need cl this year and Martial could use some consistent gametime to develop him again. The stop start gametime he gets now affects him, but not in a good way.

Last edited:

RashyForPM

Nonsense. He’d get nowhere near their starting elevens.

You won’t see anyone from outside the UK calling Rashford a special talent. Rooney was, Scholes was, young Owen was, Rashford just isn’t.
What a load of BS. He's been crap lately but of course every country in the World recognizes him as a big talent - maybe just not in the Rooney mould. You must be living in the UK to have made something like this up. Commentators in other countries doesnt talk about him like he's just a Milner type of hard worker. Scored two decisive goals against PSG that went around the World too. Of course people see him as a flagship talent of Manchester United.
Agree with roflution. Everyone around the world rates Rashford as a brilliant talent. They see his stats, dribbling, skills and their sold. PSG fans certainly know of him know and Barca wanted him a few years ago. Mbappe also rates him as one of the best young players in the world.
https://www.goal.com/en-kw/news/mba...-pogba-psg-rashford/obkan2msct7q1931el7jjxlfc

You can’t tell me Rashford isn’t a top, top talent. It feels like only half our fanbase rates him, me included, while everyone else in the rest of the world thinks he’s brilliant.

Fluctuation0161

That doesn’t mean anything when it comes to management of our own squad, of course City have expensive players to come in I argued that in the City thread even before that tweet came out but we still should make do with what we have to maximise our chances over the course of the season and if that means playing James or Mata so be it.

You have to look at the big picture not just game to game management.
I agree. But then the criticism would be, Ole out, why isn't he playing our best players.

Also, the big drop in quality to squad players would likely mean we wouldn't have any more points than we have now. Although we would at least have our best players fresh for games like today, instead of worn out with fatigue.

Swings and roundabouts. But the top line is, we need better players in the squad.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It’s a shoulder injury ffs that’s not going to take years off his career :lol: so many drama queens.

he might be playing in pain at the moment which is why he’s perhaps not fully concentrating on the ball and looking for the contact instead.

resting him won’t help if it’s an injury that needs surgery.

the club need to decide if his poor performances are worth it if he chips in with goals and assists. IMO his injury can’t be effecting him that badly as we’ve seen him play great at some points, if anything it’s more psychological.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It’s a shoulder injury ffs that’s not going to take years off his career :lol: so many drama queens.

he might be playing in pain at the moment which is why he’s perhaps not fully concentrating on the ball and looking for the contact instead.

resting him won’t help if it’s an injury that needs surgery.

the club need to decide if his poor performances are worth it if he chips in with goals and assists. IMO his injury can’t be effecting him that badly as we’ve seen him play great at some points, if anything it’s more psychological.
It’s a great point. Our problems stem from others unable to step up and the obvious injury to Pogba.
Rashford’s injury doesn’t explain the awful defending against bottom sides of late. Games where we should have taken 3 points.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It’s a great point. Our problems stem from others unable to step up and the obvious injury to Pogba.
Rashford’s injury doesn’t explain the awful defending against bottom sides of late. Games where we should have taken 3 points.
Injury excuses just can’t be warranted for his performance against palace.

a bad shoulder doesn’t stop you controlling a ball, a bad shoulder doesn’t stop you putting in a minimal amount of running/work rate.

I get him not wanting to fly into tackles or jump for headers in case he falls on it awkwardly, but that should really be the limit.

if he is that bad that he can’t even move without pain then he shouldn’t be playing.

90 + 5min

Totally fake news. Once again, agenda post to have a go at Solskjaer. Some people need to have better insight in top football world and learn something about how and what role managers have in the club. And what they can or can't do. Spreading fake news all over place isn't helping. It wasn't even cup tie. But when there is agenda, the truth doesn't matter.

Solskjaer played Pogba because he was available for selection. By doctors and Pogba himself.

Lets blame every manager you don't like when players get injuried.

passing-wind

Totally fake news. Once again, agenda post to have a go at Solskjaer. Some people need to have better insight in top football world and learn something about how and what role managers have in the club. And what they can or can't do. Spreading fake news all over place isn't helping. It wasn't even cup tie. But when there is agenda, the truth doesn't matter.

Solskjaer played Pogba because he was available for selection. By doctors and Pogba himself.

Lets blame every manager you don't like when players get injuried.
Sounds like a childish response, Pogba was available after weeks out for a meaningless tie against Rochdale. The manager made a poor judgement decision and even admitted so during his post match interview. Pogba then needed further surgery on his ankle the following month as a result. "Pogba was brought back for the midweek match with Rochdale, but the decision looks to have backfired" via telegraph.

What exactly is the agenda, Solskjaer rushed the player back from injury and as a result he was out for a further four weeks. Those are the facts.

90 + 5min

Sounds like a childish response, Pogba was available after weeks out for a meaningless tie against Rochdale. The manager made a poor judgement decision and even admitted so during his post match interview. Pogba then needed further surgery on his ankle the following month as a result. "Pogba was brought back for the midweek match with Rochdale, but the decision looks to have backfired" via telegraph.

What exactly is the agenda, Solskjaer rushed the player back from injury and as a result he was out for a further four weeks. Those are the facts.
It is not childish response. It is response to you that somehow put blame on Solskjaer. Pogba injuried himself in game at Southamton that year if I can remember. He had discomfort and tried to play, including Rochdale, before going back to status injuried. How is that Solskjaer fault? For playing him when doctors and Pogba given thumbs up? Solskjaer don't decide if player is injuried or not.