Rashford's red card - correct decision or badly done by VAR again?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There’s literally thousands of unique moments in any football match. Expecting any one of them to happen more than once makes no sense.
You say that, but some of our defensive mistakes happen on schedule.

Aresma7

I think the solution to the VAR problem is when the ref goes to watch the replay. He shouldn’t be allowed to watch a replay out of its normal speed. Very often when the clip editor almost freezes the picture, going back and forth, in slow motion on impact moments is when the ref often has “seen enough” and gives the penalty. I feel this happens quite often.

if they only show it in regular speed you always get a different perspective on the whole situation closer to what it actually is in real time… often the ref doesn’t give the free kick or penalty because in real time the challenge or whatever situation, is considered not enough to award a free kick or penalty.. it’s like the game has evolved to including being lucky a lot more often than before.. this shouldn’t be determining the skill of a team or the results of the game in such a impactful way.

It’s a physical sport and using editing technology to slow down time gives a new perspective which isn’t fair to the game.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Bad decision. In my opinion never a red.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Correct decision.

Red card all day long.

Not only did he put his boot on the players ankle, he also then lifted his other boot off the ground and spun round on the guy's ankle.

Personally I think it was intentional, nothing accidental about it.

Go and look at it again, the pirouette on the player's ankle was disgusting and uncalled for. Could have snapped the guy's ankle.
This post is hilarious satire. Well played :lol:

Superunknown

He has every reason to be against us and has zero reason to back us up. And after all that, he thinks it's not a red card. That tells you everything you need to know. It's a joke of a decision. He could have put the boot in and kicked us whilst we were down, but he hasn't.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is very true. Surely the who point is intent. A player should not be punished for accidentally hurting an opponent.
Intent doesn’t matter but there needs to be excessive violence or recklessness. Which clearly wasn’t the case here, in real time. Only super slow motion replays and freeze frames make it look dangerous. Textbook VAR bollockology.

saivet

I think it's a red. The idea that if you think that's a red card, you've never played football is bizarre stance to take. The game is governed on a set of rules and it was a dangerous tackle, intentional or not and that's the key issue here. Those kind of incidents have seen players get sent off plenty of times in the past few years (rightly or wrongly). If one of their players did that to Rashford and didn't get sent off, I'm sure many would be be saying VAR is against us too.

Superunknown

I think it's a red. The idea that if you think that's a red card, you've never played football is bizarre stance to take. The game is governed on a set of rules and it was a dangerous tackle, intentional or not and that's the key issue here. Those kind of incidents have seen players get sent off plenty of times in the past few years (rightly or wrongly). If one of their players did that to Rashford and didn't get sent off, I'm sure many would be be saying VAR is against us too.
Your two statements there are contradictory. If football is governed by a set of rules, then there would be no reason for the player not to get sent off if it happened to Rashford.

CoopersDream

I have no issues about the red card. Even in full speed replay it looks nasty. It's certainly accidental and he absolutely did not mean that, but then again very few people who gets red carded for studs on/above the ankle does. I'd have been very surprised had he not got the red card.

Andersons Dietician

It was never a red card, This idea of dangerous play is ridiculous. Sure lunging in two footed of throwing yourself towards someone is dangerous play. trying to put your foot in a position to stop your momentum and shield the ball is not dangerous play.

Might as well stop kicking the ball just incase you accidentally smash it off of someone’s face. Maybe should stop running as well Because you might accidentally bump into someone and cause serious harm, heck why stop there, those pesky goal posts could seriously injure someone, they should be removed asap. Don’t even get me started on the nets.
I honestly hate the world as it is now. Sawft weaklings everywhere.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
It’s a red. Doesn’t matter if there is no intent, it’s hazardous and it could have easily been a bone breaker.

If a Copenhagen player got red carded for that, the fans on here saying it wasn’t a red would not be saying the same thing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It wasn’t a tackle. He accidentally stood on someone.

The Oracle

It’s a red. Doesn’t matter if there is no intent, it’s hazardous and it could have easily been a bone breaker.

If a Copenhagen player got red carded for that, the fans on here saying it wasn’t a red would not be saying the same thing.
100% it was a red card.

Not only did he plant his foot on the players ankle, he then pirouetted round on it with his full body weight.

Correct decision all day long.

saivet

Your two statements there are contradictory. If football is governed by a set of rules, then there would be no reason for the player not to get sent off if it happened to Rashford.
I'm just referring to the outrage. We see it all the time with fans of every club.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Okay it wasn't a tackle but it also wasn't a freak accident where he ended up standing on his ankle.
He was planting his leg normally. Copenhagen player decided to tackle him and slide his leg underneath

Dan_F

Not intentional but its a red card. If the opposition player's leg snapped, what would you have said? It is to prevent situations like that that red cards get given for studs up contact.
So are we trying to get shielding the ball out of the game? Every single time a defender tries to shield the ball out, they plant their foot in that motion. It’s not even close to being a dangerous motion.

If the other players foot is 10cm to the left and Rashford does exactly the same thing but plants his foot on the guys boot, literally nothing is said. It happens all the time that players get their boots stamped on. All the time.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Harsh red, but unfortunately even though it was an accident, it's still dangerous and could have seriously injured the lad. Sums up him atm, absolutely nothing going right for him. Hell probably think "that's what I get for tracking back and supporting my fullback."

Dominos

There’s literally thousands of unique moments in any football match. Expecting any one of them to happen more than once makes no sense.
The issue is, do you genuinely believe that this was unavoidable?

So Rashford had 2 options

1. Protect the ball but forcefully plant his studs on the opposition's shin

Or

2. Just let the opposition take the ball from him

Are those really the only 2 options? There's no option whereby he protects the ball without nearly snapping someone's ankle? I just don't believe that.

If people think it's a yellow-orange type challenge and the ref's been harsh, fine. But I'd question why it's even a yellow if it's unavoidable? The only reason it would be a yellow is because you're expected to challenge in a safer and more responsible manner than what he did.

If you're expected to challenge in a more responsible manner to avoid conceding a free kick and a yellow, I'm arguing he should challenge in a more responsible manner in order to not give the ref a chance to give us a soft red.

Maybe people think it's not even a yellow card because it's completely unavoidable if he wants to shield the ball, which seems crazy to me.

Lost bear

Having had a few mins to settle I think it probably IS a red, albeit a harsh one.

The laws of the game are quite clear about 'dangerous' play being a red, and it was a dangerous way to try and shield the ball

Definitely no intent however and the slow-mo replays need to stop
Is it dangerous play? If the other guy’s foot had not been in that precise position, we would not have given Rashford’s movement a second thought.
In other words it was an accident. In addition, it was an accident that was made to look much worse by the video replays.
I presume intent is not a factor in these decisions. If it’s not, it should be, because that is where the issue of ‘danger’ comes from- if not, almost everything done on a football pitch is potentially dangerous.

Bobski

He was planting his leg normally. Copenhagen player decided to tackle him and slide his leg underneath
Normally? It seemed like a long stretch of the leg out, much more than you would usually see, and perhaps because of that it led to a straight leg with studs up. I think it is a bit unlucky how it ended up due to timing but I can see how the red was shown.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He has every reason to be against us and has zero reason to back us up. And after all that, he thinks it's not a red card. That tells you everything you need to know. It's a joke of a decision. He could have put the boot in and kicked us whilst we were down, but he hasn't.
Or maybe he's shit scared of Gary Neville

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Normally? It seemed like a long stretch of the leg out, much more than you would usually see, and perhaps because of that it led to a straight leg with itstuds up. I think it is a bit unlucky how it ended up due to timing but I can see how the red was shown.
The long stretch is what made the difference IMO, that was far in excess of what you'd generally see, the refs thinking that he's done it intentionally even though I doubt he was

The 2 pens were a joke but that's the rule these days

ROFLUTION

I dont care if it’s a red or not. I just hate the fact that every fecking game is not about the game but instead about what someone sees or does not see on a screen.

Its a numb feeling. Even my FC Copenhagen friends was a bit wary of celebrating a 4-3 win in the last minutes. That’s what VAR does. Holds people back, leaving us to discuss stupid details instead of enjoying the game.

GiveItToGi...nowait

The issue is, do you genuinely believe that this was unavoidable?

So Rashford had 2 options

1. Protect the ball but forcefully plant his studs on the opposition's shin

Or

2. Just let the opposition take the ball from him

Are those really the only 2 options? There's no option whereby he protects the ball without nearly snapping someone's ankle? I just don't believe that.

If people think it's a yellow-orange type challenge and the ref's been harsh, fine. But I'd question why it's even a yellow if it's unavoidable? The only reason it would be a yellow is because you're expected to challenge in a safer and more responsible manner than what he did.

If you're expected to challenge in a more responsible manner to avoid conceding a free kick and a yellow, I'm arguing he should challenge in a more responsible manner in order to not give the ref a chance to give us a soft red.

Maybe people think it's not even a yellow card because it's completely unavoidable if he wants to shield the ball, which seems crazy to me.
Rashford had no decision to make, he’s trying to get his body between the player and the ball, he has no idea the player is putting his foot exactly where he is about to plant it.

“Challenge in a more responsible manner” what does that even mean in this context?? He should have the foresight to know where the player (who is not in his field of view) is going to place his ankle?!

Rashford hasn’t stamped, kicked out, elbowed, put hands round someone’s neck, dived in two footed, put his face in someone else’s face, elbowed, kneed in the back (any others I’m missing?), he’s simply planted his foot.

It’s a yellow card.

Bobski

I dont care if it’s a red or not. I just hate the fact that every fecking game is not about the game but instead about what someone sees or does not see on a screen.

Its a numb feeling. Even my FC Copenhagen friends was a bit wary of celebrating a 4-3 win in the last minutes. That’s what VAR does. Holds people back, leaving us to discuss stupid details instead of enjoying the game.
It VAR does not guarantee fairness then it is pointless because the negative impact on the match experience is not justified.

Mr Smith

Absolutely ridiculous decision, and proof once again of what I've been saying for years; that referees are being taught to ignore common sense. The red card for studs up rule was meant to prevent deliberate stamps and leg-breaking tackles, but now it's being used just for any time someone puts their foot under yours. Where is Rashford supposed to put his foot, ffs? I guess players should just stop when a player comes in to tackle them from now on to avoid accidentally stepping on them.

This decision and the rule behind it is detached from reality.

Bestofthebest

If VAR and constant slow motion views keep being shown, the game (and results) are going to become a lottery. I feel sorry for Rashford even though I’m no great fan of his.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Is it dangerous play? If the other guy’s foot had not been in that precise position, we would not have given Rashford’s movement a second thought.
In other words it was an accident. In addition, it was an accident that was made to look much worse by the video replays.
I presume intent is not a factor in these decisions. If it’s not, it should be, because that is where the issue of ‘danger’ comes from- if not, almost everything done on a football pitch is potentially dangerous.
Intent is indeed irrelevant. Explictly and deliberately so, as in they actively removed it from the rule years ago.

ROFLUTION

It VAR does not guarantee fairness then it is pointless because the negative impact on the match experience is not justified.
and even fairness is biased too. If you give one penalty today, you gotta give the other one too - but do you then also give a third if a cheap penalty happens again like a cheap handball? That wouldnt be fair, but it would follow logic of the game. There’s just too much shit, and too little continuity.

Very little transparency about the decisions too. One of the reasons VAR came about was to take out bribes, but it’s still just a black box we dont get much insight into.

caid

Its probably by the book correct, just about. Its one of them situations when you'd want to see a bit of discretion, recognise its a completely accidental collision and give them a yellow.
There will probably be a late, two footed, lunge from behind given a yellow on the weekend. I guess european football has always been much harsher with them calls. I think the video reviewed wasn't representative of the situation and the var team fecked that up.
We've had Pogba sent off for the exact same thing a few years back. I expected it, its a harsh red though.

bitcoin

Should not be a red card in my opinion (should have received a yellow). Two other comments:
  • Refs should look at the footage thoroughly in both real-time and slow motion. It looks like they prioritise the slow motion at the moment.
  • The discussions between the VAR team and ref should be made public. At the very least it helps fans understand the rationale behind a decision.

Bobski

and even fairness is biased too. If you give one penalty today, you gotta give the other one too - but do you then also give a third if a cheap penalty happens again like a cheap handball? That wouldnt be fair, but it would follow logic of the game. There’s just too much shit, and too little continuity.

Very little transparency about the decisions too. One of the reasons VAR came about was to take out bribes, but it’s still just a black box we dont get much insight into.
You have the absurd situation were no Utd fan on here thinks our pen is actually a penalty, and that is with a terrible run of decisions going against Utd, and the exaggerated emotions of a match. How has football got itself into this situation were these are being given. Imagine going to your local Sunday pitch or your kids U14 game and a pen being given for either of those scenarios, just laughable. Part of me thinks that football has realized how much engagement they gained through the Ronaldo/Messi years of high goal numbers and want to keep pushing those numbers up for individuals. But then at the same time you have goals being ruled out for eyelashes being offside. It is just a mess.

Scriblerus

By the laws, it's red. It shouldn't be, imho, because it's clumsy not malicious, but that's not an issue these days. If Marcus had just been a bit faster, of course, he'd have been ob the end of it and the Copenhagen player would have been sent off. Which is a measure of how stupid it all was.

ROFLUTION

You have the absurd situation were no Utd fan on here thinks our pen is actually a penalty, and that is with a terrible run of decisions going against Utd, and the exaggerated emotions of a match. How has football got itself into this situation were these are being given. Imagine going to your local Sunday pitch or your kids U14 game and a pen being given for either of those scenarios, just laughable. Part of me thinks that football has realized how much engagement they gained through the Ronaldo/Messi years of high goal numbers and want to keep pushing those numbers up for individuals. But then at the same time you have goals being ruled out for eyelashes being offside. It is just a mess.
Platini might have been a crap and corrupt president but he was right about one thing: If you start editing one small rule of the game, where does it stop?

ever since the introduction of VAR we’ve seen all sorts of shit to “perfect” the game. More teams, new shit formats (like next years ChL), endless VAR reviews, more games even if players cant cope.

Small changes and the mindset of “maybe if we just tweak the game a bit here and there” has opened up pandora’s box for remixing a beautiful game that was naturally developed and perfected for centuries. We were already entertained, and then came VAR, FIFA and played to the tune of mechanics and money.