Rashford's red card - correct decision or badly done by VAR again?

Bobski

Platini might have been a crap and corrupt president but he was right about one thing: If you start editing one small rule of the game, where does it stop?

ever since the introduction of VAR we’ve seen all sorts of shit to “perfect” the game. More teams, new shit formats (like next years ChL), endless VAR reviews, more games, more injuries.

Small changes and the mindset of “maybe if we just tweak the game a bit here and there” has opened up pandora’s box for remixing a beautiful game that was naturally developed for centuries. We were already entertained, and then came VAR, FIFA and played to the tune of mechanics and money.
Post game, and with last nights Spurs-Chelsea debacle in mind as well, I find myself more dismayed with the state of the sport than even how abysmal Utd have been.

justboy68

Should have been a red for the Copenhagen player for endangering himself. Putting his ankle there was reckless, dangerous play.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The problem as always is the people who come in here and defend the decisions. Slowly the game has just become more and more soft and frankly it’s those people that have diluted the game to what it is today. If all fans stood Utd we could have a much more physical game back but alas it seems some are happy for the sport to just descend into nothingness.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
You say that, but some of our defensive mistakes happen on schedule.
:lol: There’s nothing remotely unique about our defensive errors, more’s the pity.
We conceded a goal tonight because Dalot didn't bother to look where his man was, but then you can see he learns his lesson on the 4th goal by doing exactly the same thing again. Not a single attempt to look on either occasion.

Although is this an error? I mean I'd file that more under common sense. Presumably Dalot puts his shoes on every morning by flinging his feet about his house until they miraculously land in them while staring up at the ceiling.

Also I'd file the red card under common sense, in that it's only a red card if you don't have any. To argue its the correct decision you have to completely ignore context and to a large extent, the rules.

RedStarUnited

Because they’re not biased at all :wenger:

It’s a red card. He goes in with his studs up. We’ve known for years that the minute you do that and catch an opponent you’re getting sent off. This isn’t something new. Rashford is an idiot for giving the red a decision to make. Just like any other player that decides to take such a risk with such a stupid challenge.

If an opposition player did the exact same to one of our players this place would be frothing at the mouth calling for a red. There’s just no objectively on this forum. Everything’s a conspiracy and everyone’s out to get us.
its been said a few times but yeah I doubt you have ever played football if the bits in bold are your understanding of what happened in that moment.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Never a red card for me.

It's a foul and probably a yellow because Rashford has no business planting his foot so far out to "shield the ball".

He is not so much shielding as he is deliberately impeding the onrushing player in a way that may even result in a foul, which it did.

It's not deliberately reckless or dangerous in any way shape or form though, more a freak nasty-looking outcome that does not warrant a player being sent off and a game being thrown completely out of kilter.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Pogba did the exact same thing once in the Prem (I think, definitely domestic) and got sent off for it.

At the end of the day, he could've broken the guy's leg.

It's unlucky, and it's unintentional, but it's not good.

Cantonagotmehere

We conceded a goal tonight because Dalot didn't bother to look where his man was, but then you can see he learns his lesson on the 4th goal by doing exactly the same thing again. Not a single attempt to look on either occasion.

Although is this an error? I mean I'd file that more under common sense. Presumably Dalot puts his shoes on every morning by flinging his feet about his house until they miraculously land in them while staring up at the ceiling.

Also I'd file the red card under common sense, in that it's only a red card if you don't have any. To argue its the correct decision you have to completely ignore context and to a large extent, the rules.
Dalot is probably our biggest liability right now, whether not hustling to get back or just being lazy and switched off...he has never changed. I thought last year het got it out of his game. I was very very wrong.

antk

Genuine question for all of thise saying its a red. What happens if a player goes for a header, and lands on someone’s ankle? Is it a red then too based on this tweet?
The stud to ankle contact happens because of a deliberate leg movement (with no intention to make contact whatsoever, but it's irrelevant) from Rashford. Falling has nothing in common with the situation.

The Oracle

Never a red card for me.

It's a foul and probably a yellow because Rashford has no business planting his foot so far out to "shield the ball".

He is not so much shielding as he is deliberately impeding the onrushing player in a way that may even result in a foul, which it did.

It's not deliberately reckless or dangerous in any way shape or form though, more a freak nasty-looking outcome that does not warrant a player being sent off and a game being thrown completely out of kilter.
Rashford planted his foot onto the player's ankle, and then pirouetted (spun round) on the player's ankle with his full body weight.

How can you say it wasn't 'Reckless or dangerous in any way shape or form'?

If Rashford had only planted his foot on the guy's ankle and nothing else, then there would be an argument that it wasn't a red.
But he didn't just plant his foot on the player's ankle, he spun round on it too! Deserved the red card!

antk

Rashford planted his foot onto the player's ankle, and then pirouetted (spun round) on the player's ankle with his full body weight.

If Rashford had only planted his foot on the guy's ankle and nothing else, then there would be an argument that it wasn't a red.
But he didn't just plant his foot on the player's ankle, he spun round on it too! Deserved the red card!
It already wasn't funny the first and second time. Impressive commitment though.

NoPace

Definitely a red. Defender goes to challenge for the ball and gets a stud coming down on his ankle to stop him.

RedStarUnited

Intent is indeed irrelevant. Explictly and deliberately so, as in they actively removed it from the rule years ago.
Not considering intent for red card decisions sounds like a rule a person who doesnt play football would create. If you play football you understand how much room for accident's there is and the need to judge situations accordingly.

With VAR in place, they should definitely bring back intent because now you can watch a clip to determine intent instead of doing it in real time.

fallengt

didn't VDB have similar one where other player ended up breaking his leg? No card was given.

NoPace

Red cards are extremely harsh. Only intentional fouls should be red cards. Double yellows or unintentional fouñd should get a 15 min time out or something.
Agree with this. 15 minutes would be a big chunk of the game but not kill it as a contest. I think you'd have to give "last man fouls" a penalty too, even if they were outside the box, like in hockey, where anytime a breakaway is stopped by a foul it's a penalty shot.

antk

Not considering intent for red card decisions sounds like a rule a person who doesnt play football would create. If you play football you understand how much room for accident's there is and the need to judge situations accordingly.

With VAR in place, they should definitely bring back intent because now you can watch a clip to determine intent instead of doing it in real time.
The goal with those rules is to reduce major injuries. If you get penalized for reckless challenges, you may try and make less of them even if you don't intend to injure anyone in the first place.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Never a red for me, but then there were also 2 penalties given that I'd say were never pens, so I'm not sure what sport I'm watching anymore.

RedStarUnited

The stud to ankle contact happens because of a deliberate leg movement (with no intention to make contact whatsoever, but it's irrelevant) from Rashford. Falling has nothing in common with the situation.
It’s physically impossible to do that action without a “deliberate leg movement”. Okay ignore falling, say someones doing a step over and a person comes from his blindside and plants a foot where they are about to plant their foot, is that also a red?

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Has this ever been a red pre var? I can’t remember them ever being given before they were shown in slow motion. They are barely even whistles as fouls in real time.

I feel people’s perception of what a red card is now, is heavily altered from the introduction of var.

RedStarUnited

The goal with those rules is to reduce major injuries. If you get penalized for reckless challenges, you may try and make less of them even if you don't intend to injure anyone in the first place.
But then you penalise non challenges too. Rashford wasnt attempting to make a challenge today?

croadyman

Agree with people who say the still picture makes it look so much worse unfortunately

LInkash

So, if that's a red, could there be a tactic to get players sent off by simply slipping you ankle under them when they're about to step on the ground?

Thom Merrilin

Has anyone responded to this properly as to why they think this is the most obvious red card ever with reference to the rules?
I haven't seen any response yet. Funny how people dissappear when you ask them to prove their point.

antk

But then you penalise non challenges too. Rashford wasnt attempting to make a challenge today?
I may be mistaken as English is not my primary language but I believe that trying to shield the ball from an opponent qualifies as a challenge? Rashford prepares for physical contact and acts upon it to fight for possession. I am not sure how this wouldn't be a challenge.

antk

So, if that's a red, could there be a tactic to get players sent off by simply slipping you ankle under them when they're about to step on the ground?
No, because players generally don't like risking injuries.

TheGodsInRed

Has this ever been a red pre var? I can’t remember them ever being given before they were shown in slow motion. They are barely even whistles as fouls in real time.

I feel people’s perception of what a red card is now, is heavily altered from the introduction of var.
No because it only looks bad when you slow it down and zoom in. When watching at normal speed you can see he plants his foot but there was no force.

fallengt

I'd want to say correct... but they almost never give it consistently. if it was same challenge next week, same set of VAR team, you can almost guarantee they wouldn't give it.
Just fecking let AI do it already I'm really tired of the inconsistency

Wilt

It was a red ….interested if Utd bother challenging it

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well, sure. A team could implement a tactic whereby their players deliberately stick their ankles under their opponents' feet in such a way as to get stamped on, in the hope that they will receive contact dangerous enough to warrant a red card.

The only barrier would be finding players who are really, really stupid and/or like getting injured. Which, thinking about it, might be our team.

NZT-One

What kind of wonderful technique do you think a video camera is? Or did I miss and they have some which are able to display intent? I see your point, but the idea is to prevent injuries, players are asked to think about possible risks. Is this kind of a dilemma especially in a full contact sport like football? Sure but it is what it is. I thought it was harsh but if the rules allow a red, then I don't think, it is a plain mistake.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

That was a natural evolution of his movement, it just happened to be the case that there unexpectedly was a foot stuck under his.

Leaving that aside, it is usually the case that when you accidentally stamp someone (typically a keeper rushing out and following through) you sort of try pull away, but since it's effectively your standing foot involved it looks bad regardless.