2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

3KDré

I would much rather play Hojlund with no goals than Martial or Rashford up top. He will start scoring once we actually start creating chances - no need to worry.

Andersons Dietician

Here we go, this type of excuse is out already!
Zero chances created for him in like 180 minutes. Don’t think we really need excuses for him when that’s going on. Team just needs to pull its collective finger out and start playing actual football so we can see if the lad is the real deal or not.

Dan_F

I’d be more worried if he was missing chances, like Weghorst last season. He made another great run today and Garnacho didn’t square it for a tap in. I am worried about how many minutes he’ll need to play this season though.

Andersonson

He gets zero service, absolutely nothing. We barely have a cross all game or a shot on target. He is 20 years old and will only get better, and we havent seen how good he currently is either yet. Our main issues aint the striker

Shark

@NotShark
He gets zero service, absolutely nothing. We barely have a cross all game or a shot on target. He is 20 years old and will only get better, and we havent seen how good he currently is either yet. Our main issues aint the striker
All of these people talking about Kane coming in and scoring 30+ goals in this team are delusional. We barely get the ball into the box.

Mainoldo

All of these people talking about Kane coming in and scoring 30+ goals in this team are delusional. We barely get the ball into the box.
Your acting like he got so much service at Spurs.

Crashoutcassius

We looked better with martial today. He knits it together well when he is on form and we can create more. Martial very rarely on form though.

Hojlund will get goals when the team shape is able to actually able to get turnovers and launch counter attacks.

In games where we have lots of the ball versus a deep team, he is not ideal as we don't have the ability out wide, and most of the play is tight balls into him with back to goal.

Andy_Cole

Doesn’t suit the system right now. We need a forward who’s quick on the counter and creates their own goals.

L1nk

Doesn’t suit the system right now. We need a forward who’s quick on the counter and creates their own goals.
What? He’s like the fastest player in the squad :houllier:

https://youtube.com/shorts/DLbT9PLmhyM?si=ZVece81-rGMyh3Q2

There’s multiple clips of him doing extremely quick counter attack goals for Atalanta and Sturm Graz

This team and the way we are setup is just dogshit, not to say there aren’t things he can improve on because there are

mu4c_20le

His strengths is actually counter attacking where he can run into space. We're playing him like a target man. It's like ETH misses wWout that much, he has to turn this pacy young prodigy into him.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Not sure which source they are using but by going simply by eye test, this doesn’t look that surprising

AnotherLondonManc

Not sure which source they are using but by going simply by eye test, this doesn’t look that surprising
Frankly, all of the player performance threads are useless this season as nobody on the team is helping anyone else to perform. It's nigh on impossible to look good playing for united at the moment.

It's not fair to judge any single player on their poor form, and yet they're all responsible :houllier:

Rojofiam

I’ll go against the grain and say he’s clearly ready to start and isn’t the problem at all. Give him some decent service and he will score. His hold up play is brilliant.
Agreed. Was pretty evident after his first few games that we've got a gem on our hands and the high transfer fee was for a reason.

Getting 0 service in a dysfunctional shite team won't make him bad.

Last edited:

NZT-One

Didn't get much service but is working well. Had a few moments where he looked a bit more stiff than necessary. Not a game to praise him. Lets hope, the teams stabilizes and finds a way to play into his strengths.

Rojofiam

Here we go, this type of excuse is out already!
What type of excuse?

The same "no service" excuse gets (rightly) made for Haaland when he gets almost no touches for a whole game, and we're talking about the best goalscorer on the planet in the world's current best team.

These poacher types aren't the kind of profile that will carry a dysfunctional team on their own (like a Bruno Fernandes in 2020, for example), but in a good team they'll score goals for fun. Ferguson and Osimhen also belong in this category.

Hojlund is first and foremost a poacher but fortunately he's not just really strong, but fast and technical too which is unusual to have for a striker of his profile. Still, he's not someone who will make a difference on his own and we shouldn't expect that from him. He's still a huge talent, though, and it was evident after the first few games. You and others giving him unfair criticism need open your eyes.

theklr

His strengths is actually counter attacking where he can run into space. We're playing him like a target man. It's like ETH misses wWout that much, he has to turn this pacy young prodigy into him.
His hold-up play is also one of his strenghts, and also one of the reason ETH likes him.
And also something we have missed and needs

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You don't have to bring ETH into every thread. He is a kid and is still getting used to the league. Unfortunately we create feck all for him to score.

He is perfectly fine as a target man or a striker to attack the space.

ClassOf'99

Didn't get much service but is working well. Had a few moments where he looked a bit more stiff than necessary. Not a game to praise him. Lets hope, the teams stabilizes and finds a way to play into his strengths.
This was one of the fears about having a young striker, who works hard, makes runs and is rarely played in, that he would start to lessen the amount of runs and not be on his toes as much to anticipate balls coming to him as he's not expecting the ball to come to him.

I think a simple instruction of "get the ball into Højlund" could work akin to Fergie's get the ball to RVP.

Not comparing to 2 but if you aren't finding your striker to convert chances then we may as well of kept Weghorst.

MadMike

I’d be more worried if he was missing chances, like Weghorst last season. He made another great run today and Garnacho didn’t square it for a tap in. I am worried about how many minutes he’ll need to play this season though.
I would actually argue the opposite. Generally if a striker has good physical skills, movement and reading of the game, he will be get good chances and eventually start scoring goals. The worry is when he’s not getting chances at all, like Hojlund is now.

The difference here and the reason we’re not so worried, is because the whole team is playing terribly and it doesn’t create chances. This is not a case of a team creating openings and chances but the striker failing to get to the end of them.

mu4c_20le

You don't have to bring ETH into every thread. He is a kid and is still getting used to the league. Unfortunately we create feck all for him to score.

He is perfectly fine as a target man or a striker to attack the space.
You don't have to defend ETH in every thread. It's like you have a bat signal.

The manager sets the tactics, and organizes the training. Blaming the players is so incredibly short sighted and naive it actually defies belief.

Dan_F

I would actually argue the opposite. Generally if a striker has good physical skills, movement and reading of the game, he will be get good chances and eventually start scoring goals. The worry is when he’s not getting chances at all, like Hojlund is now.

The difference here and the reason we’re not so worried, is because the whole team is playing terribly and it doesn’t create chances. This is not a case of a team creating openings and chances but the striker failing to get to the end of them.
Well yes, the second paragraph is important. I’d normally argue the same as what you’ve said in the first, but I don’t think it’s relevant to Hojlund. I’ve seen nothing wrong with his runs and physicality so far, especially for someone so raw.

The fact that all players in the team are playing below their previous level shows that it’s difficult to judge players individually right now. Apart from Antony, I’m pretty much convinced now he’s a complete flop.

NZT-One

This was one of the fears about having a young striker, who works hard, makes runs and is rarely played in, that he would start to lessen the amount of runs and not be on his toes as much to anticipate balls coming to him as he's not expecting the ball to come to him.

I think a simple instruction of "get the ball into Højlund" could work akin to Fergie's get the ball to RVP.

Not comparing to 2 but if you aren't finding your striker to convert chances then we may as well of kept Weghorst.
Completely agree. He looked frustrated today, he needs to be ensured, it isn't him :D

We need some synergies in there. And while Rashford at least can point to last season as a reason for being too selfish (wouldn't agree with him on that but I at least would get the point) but the other ones have no excuse. On the other hand, I kind of like us being not too direct. I guess, if we would up that level, Hojlund would be more often in good situations but it would mean less grip on the games.

RuudTom83

Nothing has gone smoothly so far this season...

New GK to improve the play out form the back, then the entire back 4 gets injured.

New CF that is young, new to the league and a different style to what United are used to. Team literally makes zero chances for him per game.

You can only hope it's a learning curve and the pain now will be worth it in the long run.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Think Højlund needs to come out of the side for a little bit. I’d like to see him get a run of sub appearances, when he can come on and have a very focussed 25-30 minutes. It feels as if we are running him into the ground for no upside, as he is barely getting a shot off as things stand. Let Martial due some of the graft and then inject a fresh Højlund on later on to change things.

Take advantage of Martial being fit, because we will sure as hell need Højlund when Martial is inevitably injured again.

OmarUnited4ever

Despite everything I am actually still ok with him, because he is clearly trying, the wingers aren't providing anything of note to him (Antony didn't even once cross to him while Garnacho did try but nothing went to the box) while Bruno & Eriksen didn't provide much too, and we all know McTominay won't provide anything at all here, there is a clear lack of attacking patterns (and this is on Ten Hag) that makes it hard for an inexperienced striker like him to do something, I think he needs to figure out something for himself and also be demanding from the team in terms of balls into the box/to him.

lsd

The Oracle
I liked how he was furious coming off and is clearly upset at not getting chances created for him.

We need players to get the message across as Ten Hag doesn't seem to notice how little we create in the final third

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You don't have to defend ETH in every thread. It's like you have a bat signal.

The manager sets the tactics, and organizes the training. Blaming the players is so incredibly short sighted and naive it actually defies belief.
May time for you to go and do a retrospection.

1.This is a player performance thread
2. I didn't defend ETH in any thread.
3. No one blamed the players.
4. Rasmus is perfectly fine as a target man.

In short, your post was crap.

mu4c_20le

May time for you to go and do a retrospection.

1.This is a player performance thread
2. I didn't defend ETH in any thread.
3. No one blamed the players.
4. Rasmus is perfectly fine as a target man.

In short, your post was crap.
Have you ever watched him play before he signed?

Grande

Have you ever watched him play before he signed?
He has a lot to offer as a target man. He is good at approaching the ball, holding defenders off behin his back, getting the ball to a fellow player. What he isn’t, is a towering header who can beat two Fulham players in the air where one of them is Calvon Bassey. He needs to get the ball where he can take it down, chest or feet.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why has he started slipping so much of late? Initially his hold up play was very good but now he's starting misjudging things and either gets muscled away or loses balance. Something to work on.

mu4c_20le

He has a lot to offer as a target man. He is good at approaching the ball, holding defenders off behin his back, getting the ball to a fellow player. What he isn’t, is a towering header who can beat two Fulham players in the air where one of them is Calvon Bassey. He needs to get the ball where he can take it down, chest or feet.
Agree he has the physical attributes to do it, but like I said in the original post, why is ETH making a wout out of him? It wasn't like Fulham was parking the bus. Just feels so negative, and left him isolated

Yakuza_devils

This looks like more and more another Murtough's masterclass throwing 70M down the drain along with Antony 80M and Mount 60M.

Hope I'm wrong but even though the team didn't create chances for him at the very least his link up and attacking play could be much better. He can also create assist if he involved more in the play.

For now, he is just like headless chicken running up and down.

united for life

This looks like more and more another Murtough's masterclass throwing 70M down the drain along with Antony 80M and Mount 60M.

Hope I'm wrong but even though the team didn't create chances for him at the very least his link up and attacking play could be much better. He can also create assist if he involved more in the play.

For now, he is just like headless chicken running up and down.
aren’t all our forwards that? He is young, came into the team and has to adapt to a team in a terrible form with everyone performing below par. I wouldn’t be that harsh on him for now

ForeverRed1

The level of pressure and expectation placed on him is nieve from us at best. He has the potential to be a top striker but you got to remember that at his age Harry Kane hadn’t even made his first team debut for Tottenham. He won’t be at that level yet but is expected to be because he’s literally all we have.

what we needed was a kane/osimhen level striker AND Hojlund. That’s where they should have thrown the budget this summer. Goals goals goals. You ain’t winning feck all with the goals we’re scoring, that’s just a fact. You could still of signed reguilon and amrabat. Onana could have come next season with de Gea extending another season, Mount avoided.

it’s unfair on him coming into this team with haaland comparisons because they’re both Scandinavian and blonde and play in Manchester. It’s so much pressure, even haaland didn’t have that on him at 20.

we threw mud hoping it sticks, pretty much

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Think Højlund needs to come out of the side for a little bit. I’d like to see him get a run of sub appearances, when he can come on and have a very focussed 25-30 minutes. It feels as if we are running him into the ground for no upside, as he is barely getting a shot off as things stand. Let Martial due some of the graft and then inject a fresh Højlund on later on to change things.

Take advantage of Martial being fit, because we will sure as hell need Højlund when Martial is inevitably injured again.
Agreed.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
:lol:

There could easily be something to your overall point, but those two words in the same sentence tickled me.