View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So you've based your view just on goals without bothering to think if that might be related to the team's lack of chance creation? Nice
No, my view is based on what i see. Service is not great by all means BUT he still had 2 or 3 chances every game. Some were clear chances, some were half chances, some were chances that he created for himself. He missed them literally all so far.
How those chances are labelled by some stat site is really not important, isn't it?

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No, my view is based on what i see. Service is not great by all means BUT he still had 2 or 3 chances every game. Some were clear chances, some were half chances, some were chances that he created for himself. He missed them literally all so far.
How those chances are labelled by some stat site is really not important, isn't it?
He averages less that 2 shots per 90 in the PL so I'm not sure what games you are watching where he's getting all these chances.
Maybe they're in the CL where he's the top scorer?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He averages less that 2 shots per 90 in the PL so I'm not sure what games you are watching where he's getting all these chances.
Maybe they're in the CL where he's the top scorer?
Not every chance is followed by a shot.
Blimey, this is Ole thread all over again. When he was hired there were dozen of posts which started; "i love Ole but....".

This is performance thread. He has potential and i do like him (just bought him in FPL :)) but we have a striker who is not scoring goals. When your starting striker has zero goals in 8 games than it is bellow par form.

IWat

Blimey, this is Ole thread all over again. When he was hired there were dozen of posts which started; "i love Ole but....".

This is performance thread. He has potential and i do like him (just bought him in FPL :)) but we have a striker who is not scoring goals. When your starting striker has zero goals in 8 games than it is bellow par form.
To use an analogy, if you start evaluating the performance of a 20 year old in their 1st year of undergraduate in the same manner as a final year PhD student then 99/100 times the undergrad is going to be failing in comparison. He has the fundamentals and is getting chances with shite service and that's what matters at this stage. If he's at the same ratio in the PL at this stage next season then you'd be starting to have a point.

Keanes Magic Hat

Yes should have a prem goal by now but he's 5 in CL and our top scorer although so overall its not a terrible return, he will definitely get on a prem run soon.

sebsheep

Not every chance is a good chance and not every shot is from a good chance, that's why if you want to judge a striker's ability to score then you probably want to look at both the amount and the quality of chances they're getting.
0 in 8 means nothing by itself so I'm unsure why you keep bringing it up.

Ibi Dreams

I'm not worried at all. We've already seen that he can score when given decent service. Every striker misses chances, none of his chances Vs Luton were particularly easy. He created our best chance of the game for Garnacho, also

Frank Grimes

Missed a sitter, yeah the keeper saves it but he has to get that in.

Needs to work on his first touch. Other than that he is doing fine and is feeding off scraps. Hopefully his injury was more precautionary than serious.

Dragam

"I trash talk him everywhere the instant i get the opportunity, but i like him!"

I think we have a case of mommas special boy here...

Dragam

Not every chance is a good chance and not every shot is from a good chance, that's why if you want to judge a striker's ability to score then you probably want to look at both the amount and the quality of chances they're getting.
0 in 8 means nothing by itself so I'm unsure why you keep bringing it up.
He constantly brings it up, cause it's the way he can twist the numbers to fit his agenda...

Blood Mage

He's just not very good. He might be one day but right now it's ridiculous seeing him lead the line for us, if Martial is fit right now he should be starting ahead of him.

Stringer

I'm only looking at the PL stats. Can't finish to save his life. When you buy someone for what we paid for him, you expect goals. He's had enough chances. Still nothing. Hopefully he turns it around. But for now, based on stats alone, he's no better than Wout.
Worthless post.

KGBhoy

I find it amusing that my comparison of Rasmus to Wout was taken very seriously by some. All I was saying is that statistics wise Rasmus is not doing great. Obviously he's faster and contributes differently to what Wout offered.

And instead of having a normal discussion, saying that my comments are stupid is peak internet. Give me facts. Here are mine. Look at these stats from current season and tell me Wout doesn't look better playing for a weaker team albeit in a different league.

Playing Time
PerformanceExpectedProgressionPer 90 Minutes
PlayerSpanNationPosSquadMPStartsMin90sGlsAstG+AG-PKPKPKattCrdYCrdRxGnpxGxAGnpxG+xAGPrgCPrgPPrgRGlsAstG+AG-PKG+A-PKxGxAGxG+xAGnpxGnpxG+xAG
Rasmus Højlundfrom 2023-24 ondk DENFWManchester Utd986477.2000000002.42.40.32.8910470.000.000.000.000.000.340.050.390.340.39
Wout Weghorstfrom 2023-24 onnl NEDFWHoffenheim997288.1303211302.61.81.3

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Of course that he is better than Wout. But that excuse how he was unlucky or how every striker misses chances is valid when striker is scoring and missing at the same time. Hojlund so far is only missing chances. Week after week.
He's scored 5 goals in under 12 games worth of minutes.

Sure people with a narrative to push can focus only on certain competitions to make him look better (5 goals in 4 CL games) or worse (0 goals in 8 PL games) than what he actually has been, but when looking at it as a whole he's been ok.

From memory he's only missed three really good chances. There's also been some half chances that he hasn't put away, but it's not like he's missing great chances week-in week-out. If I remember correctly he's also put the ball in the back of the net two other times where it's been ruled out due to very tight offsides, which obviously doesn't count but if we're focusing purely on his finishing then it's still showing some ability.

Last edited:

erikcred

Of course that he is better than Wout. But that excuse how he was unlucky or how every striker misses chances is valid when striker is scoring and missing at the same time. Hojlund so far is only missing chances. Week after week.
I understand that we are all desperate for him to be success but guy has zero goals in 8 or 9 games in PL. That is awful, awful stat for striker.
That's such bad analysis, it's not even wrong.

It's like you just look up the score and scorers and call it a day.

With this sort of blinkered view, you probably also think the season is going very well because on paper we're the most in-form team in the league in the last 5 games.

zaafi

He's just not very good. He might be one day but right now it's ridiculous seeing him lead the line for us, if Martial is fit right now he should be starting ahead of him.
Contender for garbage post of the year, and that takes some doing.

Nickosaur

Posted on saturday night/sunday morning. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were pissed.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He's the only player that looks threatening for us. Hopefully he gets his PL goal soon.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I understand that we are all desperate for him to be success but guy has zero goals in 8 or 9 games in PL. That is awful, awful stat for striker.
He’s the top scorer in the champions league you know? Clearly the boy can score!

flameinthesun

People actually comparing a 20yo striker whose currently top scorer in the champs league with 5 goals in 4 matches to Wouty.....

Cathy Ferguson

Clearly overrated by a lot of fans. Not his fault we paid 72m for him and he would have scored 3-6 goals in the PL with normal/better service. Still very young and he will improve but he does not strike me as very clinical (missed two chances yesterday) or someone who can create chances on his own. 40-45m would have been acceptable. And crazy to think he is ready to lead our line every game.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
"I trash talk him everywhere the instant i get the opportunity, but i like him!"

I think we have a case of mommas special boy here...
You are doing great. Keep it up. 9 more likes with your attitude are only matter of time.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Any attempt to say there are similarities between Højlund and Weghorst is absurd at best. Højlund is far more dominating, and engaging in the build-up, and certainly knows where to be.
It's a shame his teammates can't find him when he does this.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He’s the top scorer in the champions league you know? Clearly the boy can score!
Yeah, that goal against Galata was goal of the season. And Bayern goal was true poacher's goal. That is promising. But he must start scoring in PL. It will make our matches much easier.

berbasloth4

I think his first in prem will be a something so silly like a deflection of his backside or bad cross etc and after that I think he well go on then to get a hatful

Pronewbie

Peep
With Hoijlund in the PL I get the feeling that when it rains it pours. I'm pleased with the effort and ability he's shown for his young age. We'll suffer as a team this season but I hope he develops rapidly for the next one.

Von Mistelroum

It's really shocking to see so many people who can't spot talent unless it's by the most obvious metric of "well he didn't score".

You could pop Harry Kane in this United side and he'd have maybe 2-3 goals this season. We create absolutely nothing, and that's not really the fault of the striker. He's a very young lad who should be able to miss a shot or two every game and still get enough chances to score one or two goals. Haaland and Kane will miss a chance or two every game but they'll get more chances.

Hojlund will get one, maybe two half decent chances every couple of games due to the complete lack of creativity in this team. He'll be nervous and he's a young lad so he won't always score those, but given a reasonable game with decent players creating chances for him, he'd build that confidence in no time and be scoring regularly.

You can't just judge a young striker on whether he can create and score goals all by himself. You have to look at his movement, awareness, link-up play on the VERY rare occasion that the other players can react to a layoff or one touch pass. He's a good striker who can become world class, but might not get the chance until he gets a move elsewhere.

sebsheep

Clearly overrated by a lot of fans. Not his fault we paid 72m for him and he would have scored 3-6 goals in the PL with normal/better service. Still very young and he will improve but he does not strike me as very clinical (missed two chances yesterday) or someone who can create chances on his own. 40-45m would have been acceptable. And crazy to think he is ready to lead our line every game.
Not really, it's more some people are being overly critical.
The near post header wasn't exactly a great chance, maybe should get it on target. The chance from the deflected Rashford cross was the one you'd probably expect a striker to do better with even if the height was a bit awkward.

vanrooney

Not really, it's more some people are being overly critical.
The near post header wasn't exactly a great chance, maybe should get it on target. The chance from the deflected Rashford cross was the one you'd probably expect a striker to do better with even if the height was a bit awkward.
Yes. in fact he did quite well with the deflected ball from rashy and tried to score with his knee. I think he was unlucky there. He will come good for us.

Swiss_Red89

It's a shame his teammates can't find him when he does this.
They will not be able to find him any better than for the two chances he had yesterday. I like him and I think he is going to be a brilliant striker for us. But yesterday he was found 2 times for a 100% chance and he has only himself to blame for missing those chances. Especially the one after Rashford's cross, he simply has to score that.

Hope his injury is nothing serious.