View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Most of you have no clue what you're talking about.
This thread has definitely gone wild after last night.

Didn't have a good game, should've had a goal really with the chances he did have. The one that came back to him from the keeper's save is probably a bit more difficult than it looked tbh.

On the positive side he did have some good link up play.

I saw someone say it was the worst performance they've ever seen from a striker though :lol:

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
His recent performances compared to when he first joined has been like night and day - looks a totally different player. Not sure whether that is down to confidence / fitness - maybe both? I remember being impressed with his pace early in the season but I don't feel like we've seen much of that recently. Still have high hopes for him but you'd expect a loan deal for a striker to be done this month to share the burden.

Compare last night's performance to below - there's a top player in there, we just need to be patient with him

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
In my book he's more bizarre transfer than Mount. MM seems like a reasonable choice if we're moving away from Bruno-centric system (past-Ten Hag era probably). But with Rasmus, I just don't get why we concentrated so much on him.
Most likely because he was represented by ETH’s agent who recommended him and pocketed a very nice fee.

We should probably be looking to loan him to another PL team in the Summer, or maybe even try to find a suitor in Germany or France, while ideally replacing him with a more ready now striker.

Shark

@NotShark
Most likely because he was represented by ETH’s agent who recommended him and pocketed a very nice fee.

We should probably be looking to loan him to another PL team in the Summer, or maybe even try to find a suitor in Germany or France, while ideally replacing him with a more ready now striker.
It wouldn't make any sense to loan him out unless we're bringing in two new strikers in the summer, can you see us doing that? A striker with experience is needed to allow Hojilund time to develop.

RatPack

This thread has definitely gone wild after last night.

Didn't have a good game, should've had a goal really with the chances he did have. The one that came back to him from the keeper's save is probably a bit more difficult than it looked tbh.

On the positive side he did have some good link up play.

I saw someone say it was the worst performance they've ever seen from a striker though :lol:
Really agree with you.

He should have scored on the header, but that was the only real chance he had. The other chance coming from the keeper was a lot more difficult than it looked.

So in this game the service he got was for one chance (header).

And think he showed some good lay offs in the penalty area.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Personally I think he has a better chance to play for us long-term if he goes for a one season loan somewhere. He just offers so little at the moment that he can't be a first choice striker, while being a backup here is probably worse than being a starter somewhere else.

But again I think there's about 1% chance of that happening considering the money we paid.

mancsarered

I am nowhere near ready to call him shite or give up on him, but nobody can deny that we've been completely rinsed in the market again.

RedRocket9908

He was awful again last night, being so poor against a League One defence shows that he simply isnt up to the job of playing in the Premier League.

Rasmus has 1 goal in 15, cant finish, is always a couple of steps behind the play, and we do get the ball to him he either does nothing with it or lets it role straight past him.

aeh1991

He's low on confidence and has too much responsibility on him for a 20 year old.
Some comments on here saying he's not good enough. The first 10 games he was brilliant and showed attributes we've been missing for years. Don't write him off.
We all thought it was that but there's a point you need to start realizing that he is just not that good. I wonder what attribute you have seen? Just recent example Cavani was better in anything that Hojlund is showing right now, aside from speed.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I mean, except from the fact that Havertz is miles more technically gifted and therefore doesn’t look out of place like Højlund sadly does a lot.
He's really not technically gifted though. Not skilful, average passer, can't finish, touch is always in the wrong direction. He's a clown.

Pronewbie

Peep
He looks like a hard worker with a strong mentality so hopefully he'll come good. I think he's in the same tier as Darwin Nunez with the possibility of being even better by virtue of being 4 years younger.

Another one of those who's playing at a higher level than he should be because of his physical attributes as opposed to footballing ability. Havertz, Nunez, Lukaku etc.

L1nk

We just can't admit he isn't all that. Looks very average. Because he plays for us and we paid a lot of money for him.
If he had signed for another team we would all be taking the piss, a 70m striker that's scored 1 goal.
He's our joint top scorer in all competions with 6 goals this season, so perhaps rather than being an indicment on him, it's indicative of a problem with the whole team, McTominay is one of those joint top scorers along with Bruno.

This is completely false, he wasn't represented by ETH's agent when we wanted him and he's not somebody that has ever played under ETH before. It was only after we started negotiations did he take on ETH's agency, under a trial, to help facilitate the move and it was only after the move happened that he signed with them permanently.

evil_geko

For some reason, people love to ignore his goals in the Champions League, it is not like they were scored against terrible teams, they were scored against decent opponents. But acknowledging those goals wouldn't fit the agenda I guess. Even if he scored against Wigan last night, that would also be ignored by the usual moaning lot because it would be against a League 1 side.

Flying_Heckfish

I've posted previously about whether he just lacks a strikers instinct, which seems a strange statement given that he is a striker.
Agreed. Doesn't look like a goalscorer at all, and hasn't shown that he has that much else to his game really.

There are caveats - the whole attack looks broken because of the system we are being "coached", and he is of course still very young. He could come good under the next coach.

But it's 100% another blunder to pay so much for his profile.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
For some reason, people love to ignore his goals in the Champions League, it is not like they were scored against terrible teams, they were scored against decent opponents. But acknowledging those goals wouldn't fit the agenda I guess. Even if he scored against Wigan last night, that would also be ignored by the usual moaning lot because it would be against a League 1 side.
Similarly if anyone thinks he has been good this season, they are also aligning themselves with an agenda. I can appreciate there are some reasons we can excuse his form - mainly his age and the underperformance of the entire team. But he has been really disappointing and there are some causes for concern.

TrailMonkey

Had we bought him for £25m we'd be looking at him more as an investment who has potential, ie less risk etc. But we got well and truly rinsed. Not his fault he can't up his game from a struggling £25m lump to a commanding £75m goal scorer.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I look at his highlights from Serie A, and a lot of his best play looks to be down to physical superiority and that concerns me about succeeding in the Premier League.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Agreed. Doesn't look like a goalscorer at all, and hasn't shown that he has that much else to his game really.

There are caveats - the whole attack looks broken because of the system we are being "coached", and he is of course still very young. He could come good under the next coach.

But it's 100% another blunder to pay so much for his profile.
I trust he's a good finisher, I certainly don't see that much issue with this, but I do see an issue with not much else that he offers.

Lee565

Why is hojlund poor output forgiven as having low confidence but rashford who also looks to be low on confidence is constantly vilified?

both should be moved on if possible in the summer even if a loan in hojlund case as neither are good enough

Teja

Maybe we could try and snap Ivan Toney from Brentford ? He is ready to go from his suspension.
They want 80m for him with 1 (?) year on his contract. Consider him the 2nd / 3rd best forward in the league because only Haaland is technically ahead of him. (Kane is gone)

AlexUTD

Why is hojlund poor output forgiven as having low confidence but rashford who also looks to be low on confidence is constantly vilified?

both should be moved on if possible in the summer even if a loan in hojlund case as neither are good enough
Are you seriously comparing a new 20 year old talented player that just joined with a 26 year old experienced star player?

After Rashfords last season of course there will be high expectations to him..

mu4c_20le

Are you seriously comparing a new 20 year old talented player that just joined with a 26 year old experienced star player?

After Rashfords last season of course there will be high expectations to him..
What does that have to do with confidence?

Bowlcut11

Hojlund looks like he is trying and wants to be here.

Rashford walks around the pitch, tries a few stepovers, runs out of play and throws his hands in the air.

The differences are stark, even at a glance. I'm not vilifying Rashy, I want him to get back to form but he has been dire this season

Rojofiam

What a load of shit. Especially the first paragraph.

RuudTom83

He has plenty of time on his side, equally he has tonnes of improvement to do...interesting to see how he will look at the end of next season.

Rojofiam

There are?
Yes. I'm one of them.

-He's 20
-He's immensely talented
-Every single half-decent striker has went for a huge fee these last few years
-Based on his talent, he can be our main striker for a decade. That happens very rarely in football, but Hojlund has a genuine chance

Smores

If he was a youth player coming through he'd have been declared as not ready and one to sell by most already. It's really not his fault though he should never be in the position that he is, at this stage he should be backup or even getting loan time.

AlexUTD

Yes. I'm one of them.

-He's 20
-He's immensely talented
-Every single half-decent striker has went for a huge fee these last few years
-Based on his talent, he can be our main striker for a decade. That happens very rarely in football, but Hojlund has a genuine chance
Fair points mate.

I also think we got a really special player in Højlund but i think we overpayed for the player he is now but i hope the price will look like a steal when he starts firing on all cylinders!

He have some hard to come by qualities in a modern striker, that is why we bought him.

Gordon Godot

Fair points mate.

I also think we got a really special player in Højlund but i think we overpayed for the player he is now butt i hope the price will look like a steal when he starts firing on all cylinders!

He have somehard to come by qualities in a modern striker, that is why we bought him.
WHere does all this optimism about a 'really special player' actually come from? Anyone actually heard of him before we signed him?