View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
He lacks balance, if you're off balance constantly you can't use your stength.
Wonder if it's a matter of core strength. Look at some of the most technical players we had on our pitch playing in the position Rasmus is. RvP for example had washboard abs and seemed to be almost impossible to throw off balance. I know it may sound like I'm taking the piss but I honestly wonder if there is something to that.

Vidooq

He will be another Rooney in terms of needing games to get back into form. This Hojlund today is starkly different from the one before his injury. Link-up play almost non existent today, no energy, and pressing was not good.

A 6'3 forward can't be winning 1 aerial duel a game at a 28% clip like he's done this season. 1 of 6 again tonight.

He's statistically one of the very worst starting no.9's in the league aerially. Even strikers half a foot shorter, who aren't any great shakes in the air, like Gabriel Jesus are both winning more and doing so at a much higher %.

Last edited:

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
He will be another Rooney in terms of needing games to get back into form. This Hojlund today is starkly different from the one before his injury. Link-up play almost non existent today, no energy, and pressing was not good.
Weird comment. Also, Rooney and Hojlund shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. Rooney at 18 was world-class, Hojlund 3 years older and at 21 had proven nothing.

E-mal

Too young and inconsistent to be a starter. Martial at this age is better. Hopefully he improves because we need it

evil_geko

Weird comment. Also, Rooney and Hojlund shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. Rooney at 18 was world-class, Hojlund 3 years older and at 21 had proven nothing.
I think your comment is the one that is weird, he was comparing him to Rooney regarding needing games to get back into form after a break, which might be fair comparison, we are yet to see if that is the case, but you interpreted it as comparing them ability wise? Come on now.

UnofficialDevil

I think your comment is the one that is weird, he was comparing him to Rooney regarding needing games to get back into form after a break, which might be fair comparison, we are yet to see if that is the case, but you interpreted it as comparing them ability wise? Come on now.
I was referring to the comment about Rooney needing games to get back in form as weird because if anything Rooney was in form even when injured.

Vidooq

Come on now, I specifically wrote in which segment I was making the comparison between them, getting into form, not quality.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
When did Rooney need games to get back into form, though?serious question. Unless you are talking about the 30+ year old Rooney.
I agree with you. Rooney was always just a natural beast from my memory. Weird comparison

As for hojlund he really needs to improve his first touch, so many balls bounce off him

Doracle

Wonder if it's a matter of core strength. Look at some of the most technical players we had on our pitch playing in the position Rasmus is. RvP for example had washboard abs and seemed to be almost impossible to throw off balance. I know it may sound like I'm taking the piss but I honestly wonder if there is something to that.
It’s also his first touch. RvP’s was excellent, so he’d always be in the perfect position to shield it. Rasmus doesn’t yet have that sort of touch so it bounces off him quite regularly.

That said, he’s a 21 year old novice who is just back from injury. Not his fault he’s the only CF at the club so has to play every game possible.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’ll be fine, he’s been great. Wouldn’t judge him on tonight as the team was so poor.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Cant agree with you. Are you talking about the older version of Rooney or something? 21 year old Rooney was one the best players in the world.
Any version of Rooney. He wasn’t at the same standard every game and when he came back from injury or a lay off he took time to get his fitness and sharpness back.

Woziak

He’ll be fine, he’s been great. Wouldn’t judge him on tonight as the team was so poor.
No but he needs competition and preferably an older player to learn from, more and more I’m thinking Ivan Toney is a no brainer for a team that’s only scored 40PL goals in 29PL games.

CtrlAltDeLigt

Recent goals are great but comparing current Hojlund to Rooney who was 10 times the player in terms of technique, dribbling, skills and desire.

Rooney at 16-17 is a better comparison for Hojlund now.

Hojlund has potential but hopefully next season he’s not the starting striker, so he could have a development curve.

UnofficialDevil

Any version of Rooney. He wasn’t at the same standard every game and when he came back from injury or a lay off he took time to get his fitness and sharpness back.
Sorry, cant agree with you. I remember him defying odds and playing sooner and back to his best even after braking his metatarsal if anything.

mu4c_20le

He and Rooney shouldn't be in the same sentence just because he's tenacious. Right now he's more Alan Smith than any version of Rooney

NM

Sorry, cant agree with you. I remember him defying odds and playing sooner and back to his best even after braking his metatarsal if anything.
Not relevant to Hojlund but Rooney was notoriously streaky. Even SAF said it out loud a few times.

Sylar

Rooney was defo a player who needed games after an injury / long lay off so there's nothing wrong with making that comparison. He didn't return and look peak straight away. Theres nothing wrong with that.

The injury defo came at the worst time for hoijlund who was on a roll. But also the fact that he's surrounded by a lot of shit. Would be easier if he was given a buckletload of chances to get back into form. He's basically having to score with his only chance of the game (it was the case mostly when he was on his run).

Lentwood

Appalling. Too busy wrestling defenders most of the time and forgets about the actual ball.

His game should be incredibly simple. Everything with his back to goal should be one touch/two touch max. Sick of seeing him trying to spin and falling over or having four or five touches.

This is the kind of thing a good coach should be hammering into him now. He's 21, so bad habits are going to start to stick and get harder to undo.

E-mal

How he cost more than Isak still surprises me. How we consistently make the wrong signings baffles me. The chap will get better but we should have brought better players

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
good player, but how on earth did you sign a guy who barely scored in Serie A to lead your line? what was the expectation?

he'll likely be a good striker in his career, but this was baffling.

AndySmith1990

Rooney has as much relevance when discussing Hojlund as Ferguson does when discussing Ten Hag. Quit living in the past

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Rooney has as much relevance when discussing Hojlund as Ferguson does when discussing Ten Hag. Quit living in the past
Nobody is discussing their abilities as a player. Simply highlighting one particular aspect (that Hojlund may take a few games to get going after a break) and making an easy comparison to one of our great recent players who played in the same position.

There were two easy comparisons to make. Either Rooney or Casemiro.

simplyared

Reckon he just needs to calm himself down a bit. He's lacking the quality to find the empty spaces. It's like he's in a continuous battle for 90 mins without being dangerous.

mu4c_20le

How he cost more than Isak still surprises me. How we consistently make the wrong signings baffles me. The chap will get better but we should have brought better players
He resembles one of our legends though