View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
His injury has knocked him back a little bit. Took the momentum away. He’ll be back to banging goals soon

Lyng

How he cost more than Isak still surprises me. How we consistently make the wrong signings baffles me. The chap will get better but we should have brought better players
Who? For the same price

Lyng

I don't remember Rooney looking like a passenger after coming back from injury. Got some examples?
He was rarely injured but always needed a few matches to get going after injury. With the team we had back then it wasn't really an issue though.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I swear the arguments around him get weirder, no idea what this Rooney stuff is about.

Wasn't particularly good but another game where the team behind him was so poor that I'd struggle to put too much blame on him.

Last edited:

L1nk

He wasn't great yesterday but we were also complete gash and spent most of our time in our half/box so I'm not really sure what was expected

mu4c_20le

He was rarely injured but always needed a few matches to get going after injury. With the team we had back then it wasn't really an issue though.
While I kind of understand how some can see the similarities, I always had the impression that Rooney was rushed back, because he was that important. Both NT and the club were guilty of this, thats why he took some time to get up to speed, because he was literally either still in pain or holding back so he doesnt get reinjured (which has happened before). To put it frankly, my biggest worry with Hoj is that he might be a purple patch player. Hopefully when our team becomes more consistent then so does he.

Lyng

While I kind of understand how some can see the similarities, I always had the impression that Rooney was rushed back, because he was that important. Both NT and the club were guilty of this, thats why he took some time to get up to speed, because he was literally either still in pain or holding back so he doesnt get reinjured (which has happened before). To put it frankly, my biggest worry with Hoj is that he might be a purple patch player. Hopefully when our team becomes more consistent then so does he.
To me it seems like Rasmus was rushed back as well.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
There was one bit that annoyed me yesterday, on a break away, Hojlund bust a gut to fly up in support of Rashford who didn’t even look at him and it came to nothing .
We will never see the best of Hojlund until we play with more supportive wingers

Fahad Jawaid

He is a good player with certain attributes which are very rare in a single player. He is physically strong, fast, has good hold up play and allows our team to be a focal point. His decision making is also good.

At Manutd level we needed as a striker who was more mature and more ready for PL level and we clearly have run him to the ground as we have no other replacement. Hopefully with another striker next summer he can be slowly phased in.

city-puma

There was one bit that annoyed me yesterday, on a break away, Hojlund bust a gut to fly up in support of Rashford who didn’t even look at him and it came to nothing .
We will never see the best of Hojlund until we play with more supportive wingers
Rashford was running on the left channel. Hojlund somehow decided to run on the left channel but even wider, rather than towards to middle. I don’t remember where Hojlund started his run, so not sure if it is too far to go middle.

city-puma

He is a good player with certain attributes which are very rare in a single player. He is physically strong, fast, has good hold up play and allows our team to be a focal point. His decision making is also good.

At Manutd level we needed as a striker who was more mature and more ready for PL level and we clearly have run him to the ground as we have no other replacement. Hopefully with another striker next summer he can be slowly phased in.
His hold up play is very poor at the moment. As a focal point, he is nonexistent in that role. Almost any CB in the league can completely nullify him. When he faces the goal, his pacy run is dangerous. Can he be developed into that kind of player? It might not be what he is actually good at.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
His hold up play is very poor at the moment. As a focal point, he is nonexistent in that role. Almost any CB in the league can completely nullify him. When he faces the goal, his pacy run is dangerous. Can he be developed into that kind of player? It might not be what he is actually good at.
I'd say he's inconsistent at it rather than being poor, although so far his poor games have definitely outnumbered the good. He has had some games this season where he's done really well with his hold up, showing good ability to physically hold off the defenders and then linking well with the likes of Rashford and Bruno behind him.

It's certainly something he has to work on and do more often, as like I said the poor games are in the majority so far. He definitely had a bad one against Brentford, although to be fair all of their defenders are quite big physical units.

JeffFromHK

But I can't see any player in the world in the same age bracket (18-22) having a better hold up play than him.

hold up play is a technique that is not usually acquired until you reach around 24 or 25. Ibrahimovic, Kane, van persie, benzema etc didn't acquire it until they reached certain ages.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We've been seeing this season exactly why EtH wanted another striker signing alongside Højlund. It's too much for him to have no one in training to learn from, to have no one to compete with or alternate.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No I think his hold up oscillates from very good to very bad. There’s a lot of potential there in terms of his play with back to goal but it needs to be worked by himself and supported by players around him. At a big club like United we desperately need a 2nd more mature centre forward. Chucking a 20 /21 year old into the fire like this will lead to fluctuating results unless he’s one of those rare special players which he isn’t.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Rashford was running on the left channel. Hojlund somehow decided to run on the left channel but even wider, rather than towards to middle. I don’t remember where Hojlund started his run, so not sure if it is too far to go middle.
Rashford was slowing down, not sure he even looked to that side. Hojlund was steaming up like a rocket, could have played him in

Lyng

Its inconsistent which is to be expected in that age. He has had matches with excellent hold up play this season.

FootballAI

But I can't see any player in the world in the same age bracket (18-22) having a better hold up play than him.

hold up play is a technique that is not usually acquired until you reach around 24 or 25. Ibrahimovic, Kane, van persie, benzema etc didn't acquire it until they reached certain ages.
Agree, his hold-up play was excellent especially during the 7 games run pre-injury.

His shooting technique and reaction inside the penalty is also good. Improvement needed is his positioning for tap in goal and header where McT is actually a bit better. Positioning requires experience beside being intelligent. I think it would not be such a bad idea to try McT as an impact striker to substitute for Hojlund where some games get tough, as I don't trust Martial as an impact player and we should let him be released in this summer.

Toney would be a significant upgrade of Hojlund where they can rotate the striker position and Hojlund can learn more from Toney. I don't feel Hojlund is ready to be the main and only striker to challenge for big trophies just yet, maybe in 2 years time/

Vidooq

It would be so much easier for him to get back into form if he has wingers that can actually pass the ball to him, instead of trying to finish every half chance they get by dribbling into an opposition player, or taking a shot from 45 yards out.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I don't remember Rooney looking like a passenger after coming back from injury. Got some examples?
You might wanna go back and watch his entire career then. He usually needed about two months before he started looking like a footballer again after being injured.

mu4c_20le

You might wanna go back and watch his entire career then. He usually needed about two months before he started looking like a footballer again after being injured.
Yeah thats bollocks. And its one thing to perpetuate old myths, but using it to compare with Hojlund should be a criminal offence.

ForeverRed1

rooney peaked early and was a freak of nature at a young age, by the time he hit 30 he looked almost done. I reckon hojlund will come good a bit later, I think he’ll peak later in career and he’ll be a beast. People forget Rooney later in career was like a totally different player to his younger days

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Yeah thats bollocks. And its one thing to perpetuate old myths, but using it to compare with Hojlund should be a criminal offence.
It's absolutely not.

He used to go months without scoring after an injury, his passing was usually a mess too.

Mike Smalling

It's absolutely not.

He used to go months without scoring after an injury, his passing was usually a mess too.
Wasn’t even just injuries either. Sometimes took him a while after summer to get going.

Wasn’t it 10/11 where he started out like shit, after having an injury in the latter half of 09/10?

Vidooq

Why are people rambling about Rooney in the Hojlund thread?
A few pages back, I said that Hojlund needs a few games after an injury to get back into shape and to return to his level of performance before the injury like Rooney did back in the day. The subject then went that Rooney never needed a few games to get back to his normal self, something that even Fergie said was the case, and you have a few posters that turned the subject into who the better player is, which was never the intention of the first post. So, there's that.

Stadjer

A few pages back, I said that Hojlund needs a few games after an injury to get back into shape and to return to his level of performance before the injury like Rooney did back in the day. The subject then went that Rooney never needed a few games to get back to his normal self, something that even Fergie said was the case, and you have a few posters that turned the subject into who the better player is, which was never the intention of the first post. So, there's that.
Rooney came back from injury when he made his Manchester United debut and scored a hattrick didnt he? But overal, i do remember that a returning to fitness Rooney did need some time to be at his best again.

criticalanalysis

Welcome to the caf 2024-25 - best Old Trafford remix

Vidooq

Rooney came back from injury when he made his Manchester United debut and scored a hattrick didnt he? But overal, i do remember that a returning to fitness Rooney did need some time to be at his best again.
Yeah, that was my original intention.

Welcome to the caf 2024-25 - best Old Trafford remix
Sorry, as you can see, new poster here. Lesson learned.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
In a chaotic end-to-end game where seemingly everyone was involved, I hardly noticed him at all.

Dinghy

Back to looking like the least dangerous striker in the league again.