View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I like the guy but he is prone to being anonymous even in games in scores in (aside from the goals obviously).

He doesn't have a great touch and sometimes his runs are poor but there's a lot to work with. He would do wonders with a Cavani showing him how to make runs.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Is Van Dijk whole defence? He was also against Quansah and Bradley.
He is Man Utd first choice striker. I don't care how old he is or how much he is payed. Man Utd first choice striker can't have excuses like "running his socks off" and "no service". He failed to deliver in any way this game. So this was bad performance. Nothing more and nothing else.
What chance did he have that he should have scored?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
What chance did he have that he should have scored?
Who is talking about chances? Is he Pippo Inzaghi type whos role is only to wait in penalty box? He did nothing and offered nothing in last two games. Except scoring goals striker can win headers and duels, keep the ball and pass it to other players, position himself better in penalty box (Casemiro header for example and few situations vs Chelsea), dribble past defenders (he had few chances today and against Chelsea for that) and so on.
Watch Kane, Watkins and Toney few games and you will understand what i am talking about.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's been stinking up the place since coming back from injury. It's unfortunate that we have to rely on him like this and have no one to rotate him with, he is low on confidence. I have no idea why he stopped his run when Casemiro headed it back across from the free kick. When he was in form, that was the kind of run he instinctively made.

Pickle85

His movement is the most worrying bit at the moment for me. Seems to clog up other players' space at the mo as opposed to dragging opponents away and doesn't really seem a handful for defenders. Hopefully just a slow return from injury.

Ali Dia

Who is talking about chances? Is he Pippo Inzaghi type whos role is only to wait in penalty box? He did nothing and offered nothing in last two games. Except scoring goals striker can win headers and duels, keep the ball and pass it to other players, position himself better in penalty box (Casemiro header for example and few situations vs Chelsea), dribble past defenders (he had few chances today and against Chelsea for that) and so on.
Watch Kane, Watkins and Toney few games and you will understand what i am talking about.
What did Rashford or Garnacho produce today? They were all just an out ball. Everybody on our team was cleaned by their marker and countered repeatedly. We hung on. It’s not Rasmus fault we had no control of the game. He had one half chance in the box sandwiched between two massive defenders from a speculative ball. You’re being overly dramatic as is the way on here since we became a mediocre run club

NZT-One

I like that he never stops working for the team. Today though, nothing really worked out for him and I only noticed him in slightly disappointing scenes. The whole team wasn't really great but still. It was a hard opponent though, lets see where the journey takes him. Still happy he is in the team, to me it was obvious that he'll struggle in terms of goals but his overall game is encouraging. Hopefully, we can install something in the team to take a bit of the pressure to score off him. Be it another player who scores in the first team or a capable alternative so we can switch it up from time to time.

Ali Dia

Why have we turned on him?
Because our fans are short sighted and can’t handle not winning for a few years after we’ve been run into the ground. Can’t wait to see the “best young striker in the world” posts again if we win the cup and he knicks a goal. We can all see he’s majorly promising but far from the finished product, which is totally natural.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
What did Rashford or Garnacho produce today? They were all just an out ball. Everybody on our team was cleaned by their marker and countered repeatedly. We hung on. It’s not Rasmus fault we had no control of the game. He had one half chance in the box sandwiched between two massive defenders from a speculative ball. You’re being overly dramatic as is the way on here since we became a mediocre run club
We became a mediocre run club and fans adopted that way too. While we were top club excuses about "passion" and "running" didn't exist. Also excuses like "he was bad because other player was bad" also didn't exist. And they don't exist in any club which is winning stuff.

Our striker is invisible for 4 games now. And that is our problem. He is "working his socks off"? Yeah, i don't care about that. For that we can buy a striker from division two for 100k.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
We became a mediocre run club and fans adopted that way too. While we were top club excuses about "passion" and "running" didn't exist. Also excuses like "he was bad because other player was bad" also didn't exist. And they don't exist in any club which is winning stuff.

Our striker is invisible for 4 games now. And that is our problem. He is "working his socks off"? Yeah, i don't care about that. For that we can buy a striker from division two for 100k.
Bring back weghorst

RuudTom83

No doubt he has been a bit quiet since his injury/internationals. But if he can find his form again and get a few more goal it will have been a good season.

With young players it’s daft to analyse his performance after every match. When your CF is 20/21 you have to look long term.

Ali Dia

It’s four fecking games in a team that is all over the shop and he’s a kid coming back from injury? 100k from division 2? He’s very clearly a really top prospect for his position. You're being melodramatic.

criticalanalysis

Criticise him all you want but do some have amnesia with Hojlund's multiple through balls to other players in the second half? He played in Garnacho, Antony and Bruno iirc, probably more.

There was no space to counter attack in behind as we couldn't play through the middle and as the focal point, whilst he was very inconsistent (hold up play and aerially specifically), when it went to his feet, he did well to at least lay it off for someone else running from deep.

They weren't super easy chances or quite 1 vs 1 through to their keeper but still good shooting chances that Hojlund doesn't even get one of these in return.

Woziak

Because our fans are short sighted and can’t handle not winning for a few years after we’ve been run into the ground. Can’t wait to see the “best young striker in the world” posts again if we win the cup and he knicks a goal. We can all see he’s majorly promising but far from the finished product, which is totally natural.
I don’t think the majority have turned on him but we need an experienced number 9/10 who can play both positions, he has elite potential but he’s not sniffing obvious chances when balls fall in the 6 yard box, or he scores in patches, Ivan Toney, if we can get him for £60-65m is a must and at times we could play 4312 or 3412 we need more flexibility in our team patterns.

ETH ball is 4-1——2-3 or 3-1—-6 and that’s a huge issue for this club. I’d like to see United have a pathway for Eithan Wheatley whose 6’2, starting to fill out into his man’s body, destroyed Liverpool under 18’s yesterday and has a little bit of Zlatan’s arrogance on the ball plus he’s quick and strong, might even be 6’3 he’ll be 19 next January so he’s only 8 months younger than Kobbie, I want United to have a 28/29 year old experienced striker, a young emerging talent like Rasmus who will be 22 next season and Eithan at 18/19 as the young hotshot.

What we do with our squad this summer is critical which is why qualifying for Europa league football is so important as this will give the club a pathway to bed in the seriously talented group of players under 19 that we currently have. We can promote 7 or 8 of them but we can definitely add 2 or 3, especially those that physically have the attributes to cope with mens football.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Criticise him all you want but do some have amnesia with Hojlund's multiple through balls to other players in the second half? He played in Garnacho, Antony and Bruno iirc, probably more.

There was no space to counter attack in behind as we couldn't play through the middle and as the focal point, whilst he was very inconsistent (hold up play and aerially specifically), when it went to his feet, he did well to at least lay it off for someone else running from deep.

They weren't super easy chances or quite 1 vs 1 through to their keeper but still good shooting chances that Hojlund doesn't even get one of these in return.
That's pretty basic stuff though. It's moments where he didn't make that run at the free kick and the moment he just completely lost where the ball was, when he was in possession of it, in the box that are the frustrating things from him. He wasn't alone today, no one could find each other with the attacking quartet and moves just broke down completely between them.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Not many players start out special. Salah and KDB both looked handy but really developed in their mid 20s and onwards. There’s so many examples of this. Look at Liverpool’s team there. They aren’t anything special but they have the right personality and attributes to be part of a very successful collective. Personality and professionalism is massive for that final extra push. Everyone in the PL is amazing at football. It’s hard work and clever management that is the extra few percent to become really top players or a top team
I think we've seen enough from Dalot to conclude what is his ceiling. Onana is a good keeper tbh, I like him

criticalanalysis

That's pretty basic stuff though. It's moments where he didn't make that run at the free kick and the moment he just completely lost where the ball was, when he was in possession of it, in the box that are the frustrating things from him. He wasn't alone today, no one could find each other with the attacking quartet and moves just broke down completely between them.
It's basic but progressive and effective. Not something I would associate with many young players or strikers. Heck just look at our own team in Garnacho, Rashford, Bruno and Antony to see they don't play the 'easy' pass to the free man. Imagine if they would do the same to Hojlund instead of looking for their own or playing illogical 1% chance balls. This 'basic' stuff should be the standard but it's really not, especially for a young player playing in such a dysfunctional set up; that's why it's underrated and 'impressive' for me, which shouldn't be swept under the carpet. Similar to the way Mainoo is doing the right things rather than hollywooding it in midfield.

Having said that, I agree Hojlund's own movement, runs, touch and hold up are very inconsistent. He absolutely deserves criticism for that but the tactics and his teammates are definitely not making it easy for him. The same can be said of all of our players but the big difference is that in this tactical set up and with their individual tendencies, they get the ball at least 3-4 times more and can at least do something with it.

I've said it before but Hojlund's selflessness is actually holding him a bit back in this team. He's making 'too many' selfless runs and passing to the right person at the right times with the few times he actually gets something to feet because he's not getting it back so why bother. I'd like to see him drive towards the goal and absolutely leather the ball with his left foot. Instead he's very conservative and trying to do the right thing.

If he does though, wouldn't that just make him another selfish player, ruining chances and not bringing his teammates into play? That's the possible reality, which is why I appreciate some parts of his game that I feel some are underplaying.

Last edited:

Abraxas

He had a couple of decent moments that presented opportunities for team mates but was overall quiet. He needs to put himself about more and use his strengths, and he needs to be more direct with his runs to make a statement that he's the man to score goals instead of always trying to create space for others.

He's having a difficult run. It's a season of ups and downs from him, and he's in one of the low dips in form. He's a young player and we're not a top 4 team and there's a lot of expectation on the club so there's a lot of explanations for why he's inconsistent at this stage.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It's basic but progressive and effective. Not something I would associate with many young players or strikers. Heck just look at our own team in Garnacho, Rashford, Bruno and Antony to see they don't play the 'easy' pass to the free man. Imagine if they would do the same to Hojlund instead of looking for their own or playing illogical 1% chance balls. This 'basic' stuff should be the standard but it's really not, especially for a young player playing in such a dysfunctional set up; that's why it's underrated and 'impressive' for me, which shouldn't be swept under the carpet. Similar to the way Mainoo is doing the right things rather than hollywooding it in midfield.

Having said that, I agree Hojlund's own movement, runs, touch and hold up are very inconsistent. He absolutely deserves criticism for that but the tactics and his teammates are definitely not making it easy for him. The same can be said of all of our players but the big difference is that in this tactical set up and with their individual tendencies, they get the ball at least 3-4 times more and can at least do something with it.

I've said it before but Hojlund's selflessness is actually holding him a bit back in this team. He's making 'too many' selfless runs and passing to the right person at the right times with the few times he actually gets something to feet because he's not getting it back so why bother. I'd like to see him drive towards the goal and absolutely leather the ball with his left foot. Instead he's very conservative and trying to do the right thing.

If he does though, wouldn't that just make him another selfish player, ruining chances and not bringing his teammates into play? That's the possible reality, which is why I appreciate some parts of his game that I feel some are underplaying.
That's true, I do think he sometimes lacks the awareness to make these passes quicker, but as you say, at least he's looking for them.

I am convinced he's going to be a roaring success here. For a first season, coming in injured, as the only striker in our squad practically, he's on a big upward trend.

L1nk

Not very clinical and not very technical. Miles behind Isak and Watkins for instance.
Isak at the same age had 10 goals in 41 appearences for Sociedad, Isak's numbers are actually not great at all when you look at the overall picture before Newcastle.

Or you mean 28 year old Ollie Watkins who at the same age 7 years ago had 16 goals in 52 games for Exeter City in League Two or 11 goals in 48 games for Brentford in the Championship

It's almost as if they got better with age, funny that.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
It’s four fecking games in a team that is all over the shop and he’s a kid coming back from injury? 100k from division 2? He’s very clearly a really top prospect for his position. You're being melodramatic.

Apart from that one goal where he goes on to play guitar with his leg, there really isn't anything that impressive in the video.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Backup striker at best for now. I don't think he is ready to lead from the front in the next couple of seasons. Did he even have a shot on target this game? I think we need Toney next season and Hoijund on the bench. 70 million spent on a striker on is not ready and only ETH can think off to waste our money.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He sometimes takes one too many touches, where he'd be better of releasing or passing the ball earlier.

But that comes with experience and age (and games!).

mu4c_20le

Backup striker at best for now. I don't think he is ready to lead from the front in the next couple of seasons. Did he even have a shot on target this game? I think we need Toney next season and Hoijund on the bench. 70 million spent on a striker on is not ready and only ETH can think off to waste our money.
Nope, He played the entire match and only had 10 passes. God knows why ETH even kept him on.

AndySmith1990

Whilst you may have a point about him being young and playing in a rubbish team, this line: "He’s very clearly a really top prospect for his position" isn't true at all. There's nothing very clear about that at this point in time. The jury is very much still out

E-mal

Isak at the same age had 10 goals in 41 appearences for Sociedad, Isak's numbers are actually not great at all when you look at the overall picture before Newcastle.

Or you mean 28 year old Ollie Watkins who at the same age 7 years ago had 16 goals in 52 games for Exeter City in League Two or 11 goals in 48 games for Brentford in the Championship

It's almost as if they got better with age, funny that.
At united you need to be better than what Hojlund is at whatever age, we are not a selling for profit club. You don’t come to united as a starter to learn on the job, simple

gajender

At united you need to be better than what Hojlund is at whatever age, we are not a selling for profit club. You don’t come to united as a starter to learn on the job, simple
Club don't kind of agree with you , United took long term view with his acquisition and I hope they stay the course and bring the next forward keeping that in mind .

UpWithRivers

He could peak when he is 27/28 like Watkins and Toney are doing now. We could sign Toney for 4 years then sell and get another striker for a couple if years before he peaks. But for some reason everyone wants us to buy sht strikers that won't disrupt his progress so he can develop and be our main striker. It's so small club mentality and most of all not fair on Hojlund. Just look at Foden and how he was developed at City to see how its supposed to be done

gajender

He could peak when he is 27/28 like Watkins and Toney are doing now. We could sign Toney for 4 years then sell and get another striker for a couple if years before he peaks. But for some reason everyone wants us to buy sht strikers that won't disrupt his progress so he can develop and be our main striker. It's so small club mentality and most of all not fair on Hojlund. Just look at Foden and how he was developed at City to see how its supposed to be done

We aren't swimming in Cash no more , we made a conscious decision to go for high potential but raw striker and paid big bucks for him .

Abandoning that plan just the next season and spending big money on a player who would insist on being undisputed starter while commanding huge wages reeks of real poor squad planning and misuse of resources .

If Hojlund had been complete bust I would have understood the clamour to spend big in his position but he has actually shown signs that he could be more than adequate for our realistic aims next season granted if we can sort out the team behind him .

And point about Foden is non starter he is fighting for a place in a team competing for biggest trophies every season and they didn't spend big bucks on him either .

ROFLUTION

I think he’ll end up on around 10 goals in the league + his 5 in Europe which is kind of good for a 20/21 year old in a struggling squad with little service for most of the season.

No need to doubt him yet.

L1nk

I agree we shouldn't be so heavily reliant on him but with your attitude you're basically saying we should stop buying youth players altogether and only focus on buying superstars at older ages.

With your attitude we wouldn't have bought the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani, etc who were all good for their age but still learning on the job at United, look how raw Ronaldo was when he first got here, it took him like 3 seasons to get going.

Weird mentality from the supporters of a club who's mantra is giving youth players a chance and so on.

Herman Toothrot

I think he’ll end up on around 10 goals in the league + his 5 in Europe which is kind of good for a 20/21 year old in a struggling squad with little service for most of the season.

No need to doubt him yet.
I agree. The only thing I would say is that there hasn't been a complete lack of service. Yesterday, Rashford whipped in a couple of great balls which he should have been on. Same with the chance Garnacho sent across the box, which, to be fair, he slipped for. I'm not McTominay's biggest fan, but I think he would have been alive to those chances. This will all come with maturity, but we can't go into next season with him the only number 9. He's not yet good enough.